Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by Lokatana See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Service is usually stable. Good latency. It can be very fast, if you're willing to pay for it."
Bad "Bandwidth Caps. Very expensive for what you get. Since upgrading to the latest cable modem, some issues requiring reboots."
Overall "If Google fiber came to my neighborhood, I'd jump ship in seconds."

My summary really says it all.

For me, Rogers has been a good service from a technical perspective. I've been a customer for 14 years. The only negative on this is that the latest and greatest cablemodem / wireless router is pretty poor. The wireless signal is weak and slow, and I have to perform frequent reboots of the cable modem as my connection often drops, or i run into weird DHCP issues requiring me to disable/enable my NIC (never was a problem until i got this cablemodem).

However, the big, Big, BIG negative on Rogers is their pricing and the value for service. For the speeds that are offered, and the bandwidth caps that are imposed (especially considering I was a customer when there were no caps, and my service was drastically crippled when they instituted caps), I do not feel I get value for the service.

Yet the only alternative is Bell, which is even worse.

It's pretty much too late, Rogers. If Google ever comes to town and offers their services, there's nothing you can do to retain me. Or you better start working on it now. I'd have already switched to techsavy if they offered more services like TV, but I just don't want to have multiple telco providers.

Comments:

Review by Mashiki See Profile

• Location: Woodstock,ON
Good "Quick, and fast setup."
Bad "Occasional hickups, slow newserver and DNS problems(proxy related), loop hangs, poor connections outside rogers domain"
Overall "Decent enough, good as be considered for lack of compition. Could be much better."

·TekSavvy Cable
·Bright House
This is an ongoing review of the Rogers ISP since installation since Jan 2002, for most recent updates please look to the bottom of this review.

Was ordered at 3000/500, consitant speeds of 1600-2900/380-440.

I called on a monday, setup was done on tuesday at 9am. Total instalation time was approx. 1hr, including the installation of a new outlet.

Cost break down -
$39.95/mo service
$5/mo for modem
TOC - 12mo.

Provided, free NIC either PCI/ISA or USB. Choice of modem, Terayon, RCA.

ISP states a dynamic IP, but I've had the same IP since Jan.

Currently at my local hub, a bad router is being used I'm talking to the local tech to get it replaced. Hopefully sooner then later, I've had one instance where the service has been down due to my ISP's hub UPS not kicking over.(aka falty UPS) which has been replaced.

Any comments can be pointed here, and I'll be happy to answer them. Or send me a private message and I'll reply as well. I check the site every 2 days.

---
Time for the glorious Update -- July 6, 2002.

Well I've been on Rogers for 5 and alittle bit months, and things have started to go down hill. I have a feeling it has to do with them signing more customers then they have capacity for. Meaning that I've gotten the dreaded 1500/192 downgrade, or would they call that an upgrade?

Since I've been downgraded to the new speed, the best I've pulled from nyc is 1000/182, unfortunatly this is not what I've signed up for. I do have the little brochoure that they gave me when I signed up and it's actually written inside for top listed speeds of 3000/500, ofcourse when contacting support they simply call you nuts.

It's rather unfortunate but I think they know they will start to recive an influx of users from bell, as such will boost their user base. I've started looking into new ISP's as of the 3rd of July. The biggest complaint that I currently have and this has crept up in the last two-three weeks is the "loop-hop", where wether it being a switch, or bad router or something else, causes a users connection to get "hung" at the main office.

Usually that means Your computer, ->local cable office, to booster, to main office or second booster, and it seems to hang out, basicly cutting you off from various parts of the web. You can get a website in europe or asia, but you can't get one in downtown TO. Wether this has to do with teleglobe, or with something internal at rogers I have gotten no offical or unoffical response from them on it.

I do have a few DSL providers in the area, that offer the speeds that I was getting. Tho it would be nicer to have another cable company providing access here, I understand that the terms are rather draconian.

Feel free to post a reply, I'll answer as soon and as able as I can.

-----
Update 3

Connection is more or less stable now I still have the same IP that I have had since last year. The IP was orginally supposed to be dynamic(72hr rotation), but I'm not complaining.

Here are some current speed tests from Woodstock.
2003-01-15 12:22:06 Speed test (det.speakeasy.net) 1210/184 kbps
2002-12-22 22:23:10 Speed test (nyc.speakeasy.net) 749/184 kbps
2002-12-20 02:02:10 Speed test (ec) 1002/185 kbps
2002-12-20 02:01:19 Speed test (speedtest.cogeco.net) 1286/339 kbps
2002-12-08 14:56:59 Speed test (ec) 1069/186 kbps

The one from the 15th is the first speed test from speakeasy that has a speed over 1200 in 8 months. It's tolerable but I want my 3000Mbit connection back.

Update 4:
More or less okay, been some fluky things the last few months. Today is the worst it's been in months. Drop outs, modem resets, massive packet loss. Woodstocks routers have gone up and down all day today. The news server is back up to almost tolerable levels, but I still use Supernews.

New set of Speedtests:
2003-06-15 16:47:44 Speed test (wdc.speakeasy.net) 907/184 kbps
2003-06-15 00:28:28 Speed test (ec) 1092/184 kbps
2003-06-04 15:31:41 Speed test (ec) 1098/185 kbps

Nov 6th 2003.
Things have been interesting. I spent a month with a modem that went up and down, September to October, two techs which were dispatched, the first tech checked the lines which were fine and left the second replaced the modem. Finally got a replacement modem. Unforunatly, it's the same brand as before. A TCM200, the DOCSIS(Toshiba) wouldn't work at all. There was something wrong with the modem, but I still haven't found out what, and people that I know who work for Rogers are unsure of what the problem with the modem is either. Hooking it up causes it to eventually drop off the network, and it's then unable to confirm information with the DHCP server.

There has also been an increase in speeds which I'll list after this update, not sure if the speed increases are perm. or not. The IP which I had for a constant period has switched, and and at one point I had 10 new IP's in the span of 48hrs. It should be noted that I use Windows 2003 to route my computers. This problem seems to have been cleared up. DNS problems still exist, and I run an internal DNS server for resolving now.

The routing has also changed from Woodstock, and there are now more outbound hops to get to an outside node from the Rogers network. On average it was 15 hops to get DSLR reports before the change in Sept. It's now 20.

2003-11-03 03:21:49 Speed test (dslr-west1.megapath.net) 1840/356 kbps
2003-10-31 01:47:28 Speed test (ec) 2203/367 kbps
2003-10-28 09:27:53 Speed test (dslreports-west1.speakeas) 1813/348 kbps
2003-10-25 15:27:04 Speed test (ec) 1958/348 kbps

Saturday Mar 13th, 2004
Routing is still an issue and provisiong as well as other work on the nodes has caused a slowdown across the city. Rogers has yet to give an actual reason as to why the speed has dropped 900kbps or why it has happened after the work on other hubs. DNS issues remain an issue I run my own in network DNS server now, and stalling when downloading e-mail is a common problem. Waiting upto 2 mins will eventually work. As it stands my replacement modem does seem to be working well still. I believe I will be looking for a new ISP shortly, the fluctuation in speed has become a real irritation.

2004-03-13 22:21:30 Speed test @ dslreports-west1.speakeas 1109/353 kbps
2004-03-13 22:11:24 Speed test @ ec 1616/373 kbps
2004-03-13 22:09:13 Speed test @ speedtest.cogeco.net 1672/348 kbps
2004-03-13 22:08:40 Speed test @ dslr-west1.megapath.net 208/345 kbps
2004-03-12 16:40:26 Speed test @ ec 1157/273 kbps

June 23/07
Contract has been changed to cable billing rotation. 2mo contract billing.

Last two years pretty much uneventful, in the last 5 months there has been two or three service interruption's ranging from 10-30mins for provisioning. And a severe issue with rogers' choice of an external provisioning provider to AT&T which caused issues to other networks, causing nearly 80% packet loss. Rogers unfortunately was very slow to take customer complaints and work with them to resolve the issue.

Switched over from an internal server to a netgear hub with internal dns server and firewall. The Yahoo-email merger was and still is highly annoying, since I don't see the service I don't see any benefit from it.

Usual upgrades have gone through Woodstock without any major issues, and slowdowns really haven't happened since the old mass proliferation of the service that happened in 2004, the service overall in this area has leveled out. However following the upcoming year with the increase in housing, business and such due to the two Toyota plants and increase in general population around here I expect another decrease in speed.

The speed increase has gone through as well, roughly getting a speed of 5800/520 from most test servers.

My tech and services rating will remain the same, connection reliability has been moved to 4 from 3. As long as the the transfer caps remain the value for money rating will remain at 3, especially with other companies in the area that offer DSL. However with Woodstock's dreadful telco system, cable remains a more stable choice until Bell upgrades the majority of the system.

Oct 14/08
General improvements in the overall quality have been seen, however due to various issues at border points that have been ongoing throughout the last 6mo, the ping quality to various gaming servers has been 'fair to poor' where a year or more ago I would see 80-120ms at prime, I'm now seeing 200-600ms with rogers not doing anything despite repeated tickets showing the issue being on their end.

As it stands my rating won't change. Still waiting on general 'bell' upgrades on the copper around here. 2009 can never come soon enough.

We've also seen the decrease in the total cap, to 60gb. Don't sneeze you might go over it.

14-10-2008 09:45 PM j-speed 5511 Kbps 503 Kbps New Jersey, USA
07-08-2008 09:08 PM f-speed 6122 Kbps 490 Kbps NAC (Parsippany NJ)
07-08-2008 08:36 PM j-speed 6459 Kbps 201 Kbps NYC, NY, USA
06-05-2008 03:32 PM f-speed 6581 Kbps 499 Kbps Speakeasy (New York NY)

Line Quality:
07-08-2008 08:43 PM Line quality 0% loss latency 59.7ms
06-05-2008 03:25 PM Line quality 0% loss latency 27.7ms

Switched to Teksavvy as soon as it became available. If it's available in your area, or any other independent ISP(electronicbox, start, etc), I strongly recommend dumping rogers and switching.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by TLS2000 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "SPEED! SPEED! SPEED!"
Bad "Punitive usage caps."

·TekSavvy Cable
I've been running Rogers' Ultra service for the past couple of years with 75/2 down/up speeds. While the service is impressive I do not like how Rogers has made it so expensive to go over their small download caps.

On a regular basis I'm finding myself paying $100 because I went over my caps. They used to charge a lot less for this and the reality is it's nothing but a money generator for them.

I'm planning to switch to another ISP because of this and will do so soon.

Update: I have switched to TekSavvy's unlimited 28/1 service. It's sad that I've had to cut my speed to 1/3 of what I was getting, but at least I'm going to have a consistent bill every month regardless of how much I use the Internet.

member for 10.1 years, 3216 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Legolas See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Cost and Bandwidth Cap(s)"
Overall "The service is reliable but priced and capped in a way you're over paying per GiG."

Been a Rogers customer' for many years and always been reluctant to switch to someone else mainly because the reliability. If Rogers has an issue that impacts their customers they prioritize it differently than if it is an issue impacting other ISPs (resellers) customers. The service is good and for the most part is reliable. Still I is expensive the cost we are paying per GiG. The sales and customer support at Rogers are pretty much useless, if we have a problem I just call them and would wait online for could even be for about an hour before someone say "yeah we know we are working on that"

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by dustmaker See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Rogers offers good speeds at competitive prices especially with their new packages"
Bad "Horrible customer service unless you talk to Customer Relations, hidden fees in bills"
Overall "Rogers has a decent service if you're ok with the Bandwidth Cap, otherwise move to a third party like TekSavvy"

I had Rogers for more than 5 years and they provided a decent speed/service.

The connection uptime was 99% and it was stable, however the connection knows to slow down in peek hours, so I would watch it in densely populated neighbourhoods.

Small Bandwidth Caps, as I am a heavy user I usually had to pay extra for the amount of excess bandwidth i consumed every month. (BAD BAD!).

Now they offer pretty amazing speeds and they're actually trying to compete with the prices for the first time.

However BEWARE of customer service, anytime you do any account changes Rogers has a way of screwing you over! So ask to speak to Customer Relation department and they would most likely be able to help you better and try to reimburse you for any inconvenience caused.

Overall in my honest opinion if bell has Fiber To The Home (FTTH) (please don't confuse it with fiber to the node (FTTN)) in your area switch to Bell.

Currently they offer amazing speeds 50/50 175/175 and also offer an unlimited bandwidth option for extra 10$ a month if you have a 3 service bundle.

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by marknotmarc See Profile

• Location: Gloucester,ON
Good "Installed the next day. Modem rental included. Bandwidth cap increased."
Bad "Install and activation fee"
Overall "Very satisfied at present"

·TekSavvy DSL
The deal I got with Rogers was a new customer no contract offer. It was not posted online, but found out about it when I was in a Rogers store. the Express 35/3 package with a 200 GB allowance, modem rental included for 8 years for $45 a month.

My average download speed with speedboost has been far exceeding the tier I have been assigned.

I ordered at 7 pm on a Saturday and a tech installed the next day. He ran new cables, attached new splitters, and replaced the connectors in the wall plates. Very thorough.

I left Rogers in 2008 when they were packet shaping my VPN connection to work and blocking ports preventing me from running some web services from home. All these issues are now gone and I am very satisfied with the service and price.

The only small complaint I have is the activation fee. The contract they have you sign has all the pricing information included in a table, including the install fee, but within the verbiage of the contract further down there is an activation fee of $14.95. I am unsure of what this fee is for and why it is not included in the summary table next to the installation fee.

Comments:

Review by dgass See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Free D3 Modem rental, Faster UL than old D2. Now have unlimited"
Bad "Still see nightly congestion and high ping"
Overall "With the retention offer, not worth switching to an IISP at this time"

·TekSavvy DSL
With the bump to Extreme at the Express price with the unlimited tagged on and a free D3 rental. It now makes little sense to switch to an IISP. If however in the future they remove the unlimited option I will switch.

Ping is still much worse that VDSL from the same location. UL is better at 3Mbps now up from 512K

Had rogers at this location since it was originally called wave. Then switched to @home just prior to install.

Comments:

Review by dnglbr See Profile

• Location: North York,ON

Good ISP

Comments:

Arlene

@blackberry.net

Rogers Speed terrible

I live in South Frontenac, Ontario. The 3G speeds are horrible lately for both my Rocket Hub and Blackberry. I am having a site survey done to see if I can switch to RipNet. Rogers support consistently says nothing is wrong and look at data usage rather than download and upload speeds. It is very frustrating.

Review by TomsReports See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "The service had decent reliability"
Bad "I was able to prove they lied to me - but it wasn't worth the effort."
Overall "The slimiest company I've ever dealt with."

·Bell Fibe
In short: the salesperson lied to me about the deal, and then the C/S reps all told me I had no recourse. Eventually I found a way to get the recordings audited and proved my point. However, in the process they succeeded in making it so miserable for me that I understand why most people just roll over and gave up.

The full story:

Wife and I moved to a new house and tried Bell first, but they couldn't service our home so I called Rogers (this is early 2012).

The salesperson quickly offered me a good rate for a period of a year. He even told me I could easily get it renewed by calling back at the end of that year. The next day someone came and installed the service and it worked! Great.

Six weeks later I got a phone call from a 3rd party company to inform me that I had agreed to a 2 year commitment (kinda wierd that they hire a 3rd party to deliver the bad news). So, I called Rogers' customer support and spoke to a rep who seemed very experienced and professional. Her position was simple: all that matters is what the salesperson enters in the system - they didn't care what I claimed the salesperson had said.

I stood firm on my position: that I knew what I was sold and there must be a way that the voice transcript could be consulted, but the reps all insisted that this was absolutely impossible: the voice recordings are for Rogers internal purposes and what I was asking for was impossible. These conversations were immensely frustrating because I knew 100% that I had not been told about a 2 year commitment.

I've been here before, and I've talked to many other people in the same situation. What can you? You just let it go. But this time I spoke to someone who works for Rogers and they told me that what the reps told me wasn't true - I could get to the transcript of the original call. Now, I'm sure that many battle hardened Rogers/Bell customers know how to make this happen, but I think most customers don't. It involved more calls, asking to speak to an S.E.T., and sending an old fashioned letter, but it was possible so I did it, and they eventually admitted that the salesperson never mentioned any commitment.

They also admitted to my claim that the salesperson had said I could call back after the year and get the deal renewed, but apparently their systems don't allow this. I didn't push that point because it was not the main issue, but was surprised that even after listening to the audio recording and admitting that all my claims were true, they were still telling me that parts of what I was told would not be honoured.

I think it is important to note that the deal that the salesperson signed me up for was pretty simple: I get a discount for 1 year on a 2 year commitment. Though they offered the deal quite quickly I ended up speaking to the salesperson for quite a while, making sure I got all the details and taking notes, and in that whole time he never mentioned the second half of that. This is not an oversight. I've heard endless reports of this from other people - particularly of changes made to the account that resulted in an extension of the user's commitment without their knowledge.

2013-02-16 I cancelled when my term was up - due to the above. When you cancel you must give 30 days notice. During this 30 day period my service became quite poor - in the evening it is often unusable. I called Rogers about this and they said they can't give me T/S after I've cancelled - that my connection is not accessible to T/S. We have had to tether off my wife's phone and try to minimize our use during this last 30 days.

So, I'm still paying full and the requirement that I continue for 30 days after cancelling is their requirement, but my service can die and they won't help me - I'm not surprised, really, this is Rogers. I'm just glad it will be over soon.

Comments:
horseathalt7

join:2012-06-11

Fraud!

Seems like a criminal act to me. Sounds like you need to contact the CTRC and file an official complaint. Let Rodgers know what you are going to do, I can see them squirming in their chairs. LOL
TomsReports

join:2012-01-22

Re: Fraud!

But the sad thing is that it is rather ordinary. I've often heard people complain that their Robellus contract got extended and they didn't remember the rep having mentioned it.

trrakmann

@telus.net

Re: Fraud!

Generally: contracts can't be added/extended without permission of the client. Entry into a contract has to be by very clear verbal or in writing.
If put in a contract, the company really should be sending a copy of the contract to the consumer in order to confirm details as well as a very good reminder that they are in a contract for a specific term.
All early terminations fees must be clearly marked.

Generally: Extending a contract automatically without any notification and without a confirmation reply by the consumer confirming it, is criminal.
If you had something changed by you or the company that caused a contract extension, they have to tell you that is going to happen.

All perks(laptop/xbox/tablets) given to the consumer for signing a contract are to be pro-rated, so that if a contract is terminated early, the consumer only pays a portion of that perks termination fee, instead of the old standard of full termination fee(like $300 instead of a prorated $20).

Ontario ministry consumer complaints.
»www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/pages/default.aspx

Consumer rights pages
»www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/Pages/Y···hts.aspx

Anyone who violates the Consumer Protection Act, 2002 may be subject to prosecution Individuals violating certain sections of the act are liable to a fine of up to $50,000 or imprisonment of up to two years less one day. A corporation can be fined up to $250,000.
File a complaint
»www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/Pages/C···ile.aspx

Commissioner for complaints for telecommunications services
»www.ccts-cprst.ca/

Review by Tristan See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "It's not Bell Sympatico"
Bad "Expensive, poor performance, unreliable DNS service, technical support staff are clueless."
Overall "Yay! Start is offering service over Rogers entire network footprint! Rogers can bite my shiny metal ass."

2/13/13 - I left Teksavvy and joined Start Communications, because Start was offering faster downstream and upstream speeds, as high as 45Mbps down and 4Mbps up. The prices are also reasonable, so it's a fair switch.

If you are an existing Rogers or Teksavvy high-speed customer, you qualify for free installation when you switch your service to Start.

5/8/11 - Finally got the "Congratulations, Teksavvy is available in your area" notice. I am so happy, I've already started drawing people away from Rogers and Bell. Many happy people.

3/24/11 - Still waiting for Teksavvy. The moment Teksavvy is online in my area, I'm dumping Rogers. That's right, me, my family, my friends, and more. We're taking our business to an ISP who cares.

2/12/11 - Rogers and Performance - definitely an oxymoron. Many speed tests conducted over the last two weeks show pathetic download speeds.

Rogers has gone from worse to..... abysmal. My cablemodem is wimpering in the corner, like a starved and tortured prisoner.

I sure wish Teksavvy was operating in Barrhaven. I might get the same speeds, but at least I know my money is going to a better, more deserving company.

11/18/10 - Grew tired of waiting for Teksavvy's cable connections to establish in Ottawa. Was forced to sign a one year contract with Rogers to get better rates. Yeah, I'm rather miffed that I still can't get Teksavvy yet. Maybe in 10-11 months things will improve. I don't blame Teksavvy for the delay. So much for "August 2010".

I notice I'm getting up to nearly 18Mbps down at times - must be some sort of speedboost. No change to upstream speeds. Still on my grandfathered 10/1/95 tier.

Rogers service has had spotty reliability - it has been going down at times.

7/19/10 - Forgot to add to my last update - Extreme has been upgraded to 15/1, but I still haven't seen any speed improvements - still clocking in at 10/1. Personally, I'd rather have 10/2 than 15/1 - downstream speed is less important to me than upstream considering more and more applications I use send out data - a 1Mbps connection gets easily taxed before you even add P2P like Bittorrent. I can't justify spending $40 more for a 50/2 connection when I don't need 50 - There isn't much benefit to me in having 4 or 5x the downstream when the upstream bandwidth is the big problem.

7/18/10 - Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? If you ask one more time about Teksavvy, I'm canceling our internet. It'll be here when it arrives.

5/9/10 - I'm really looking forward to having Teksavvy serve in Ontario. I understand they've hit a great deal of Toronto already. Hopefully Ottawa will be soon. I'm so pissed off at Roger's lack of upgrades, ever-increasing prices, and pathetic response to serious security issues. When I leave Rogers, I will be happy to advertise Teksavvy for free - take as many people with me as I can. Rogers Loyalty program: we'll increase your rates, and hope you'll stand behind our stagnant upgrades. My Loyalty program: leave Rogers.

2/21/10 - Rogers improvements in download and upload bandwidth, and raising caps have become stagnant. Why give the people what they want, when you can hold them over the fence, paddle their behinds, and tell them that they don't need more, faster.

Rogers customers will most likely see one to two price increases before they see improvements in the service.

It's nice that they've lowered the prices of some of the highest-end tiers, but since the tiers don't make any sense from the restrictive upload bandwidth and cap aspects, they aren't worth subscribing to.

In a world where Gbps speeds are being floated around, Rogers has a long way to go. The worst ISP is the one that does nothing to improve the average user's connections.

11/22/09 - I degraded Roger's pre-sales information rating, after careful review of Rogers throttling practices, which has finally been made public. At no time was I informed when signing up for Extreme high speed service that I would be restricted to 80Kbps upload.

Considering HTTP requests are generally small and not bandwidth-intensive, it is safe to assume anyone who pays for 1Mbps upstream bandwidth has intentions to actually use the extra bandwidth. When Rogers throttles P2P traffic to 80Kbps, they are stealing from every single customer.

80Kbps is not reasonable. I accuse Rogers of theft of bandwidth. I paid extra for 1Mbps, and Rogers won't let me come close to using it - ever.

I only want to be allowed to use what I paid for fairly, and occasionally when I need it. I'm not asking for 1Mbps 24/7 - I'm talking about half an hour here, maybe 3 hours there, spread out over a month, and often after peak hours.

9.3.09 - Speeds have been more consistent lately, although they do drop for what seems like extended periods. Still haven't seen a speed increase for the Extreme tier. Rogers isn't making any friends by keeping Extreme at 10/1.

5.25.09 - Speed tests conducted over a series of days have been showing 9.8Mbps/998Kbps, so speed has been restored. Looking forward to the June speed increase, but not looking forward to the inevitable price increase based on lies.

5/5/09 - Internet connection has been going up and down. I can browse webpages one minute, and then I can't the next minute. Outage duration is about 1 minute. Affecting VOIP.

4/27/09 - Just repaired a shoddy hook-up of a friends internal phone wiring to the demarcation point, and now she gets 7Mbps (and bonus no line noise and restored volume). I once said she'd be lucky to get half my speed, now she gets nearly twice my speed. Need to make some calls, Rogers needs to restore my connection to 10Mbps, because that's what I'm paying for.

4/22/09 - Latest speed test showed about 4Mbps.

4/2/09 - On-going speed tests show my average speed has been decreasing, and is now at 6.5Mbps down. I stopped using Rogers DNS servers, and my reliability rate for successful web connections has increased to 100%. Changing DNS servers also eliminated DNS redirections. Why do I stay with Rogers? Oh yeah, because Bell is worse.

2/15/09 - Speed-tests to Rogers servers use to show near-10Mbps down/1Mbps up, but over the last couple of months, I've been getting on average 7.8Mbps down/1Mbps up. I re-test at different times of the day, and it seems to be pretty much the same. If this trend continues, the service will be completely valueless. Time to switch to a lower-speed tier to save money. Ottawa really needs more competition - we need FTTH already! I'd pay a couple of thousand dollars for the last-mile feed if it meant ridding myself of Rogers.

1/2/09 - Is it just me, or has Rogers become super slow? The speed checker to Rogers own servers shows I'm no longer capable of getting good rates (tested multiple times a week).

11/11/08 - I received another phone call from Rogers. They informed me that I'd have to change DNS servers in order to avoid Rogers failed DNS lookup redirections, and that I'd have to call back to Tech Support to get different DNS addresses. I don't want to call Rogers Tech Support, because they aren't smart. I'll use another DNS server that's considerably more reliable. Too bad for all other clueless Rogers customers.

10/12/08 - Rogers is now redirecting failed DNS lookups to their Rogers Yahoo Search page. Opting out only works so long as the cookie that is set isn't deleted. The alternate redirection page is a plagiarized page out of Internet Explorer, which is funny considering I don't use Internet Explorer, I use Firefox.

10/12/08 - Rogers internet has been slowing down at times over the last couple of weeks. I'm not the only person experiencing this, my friends, employer, and even my workplace connection is slow, in some cases dial-up speeds.

10/11/08 - Just noticed that Rogers finally patched their DNS servers for a DNS Redirection Vulnerability. It took way too long for Rogers to act on this issue.

8/15/08 - I received a personal phone call from the office of the President of Rogers. They heard my crys for a solution [for the many Rogers customers] to a DNS Redirection Vulnerability issue.

- Service Specs -
As of July 20, 2008
--> High-speed extreme

--> »www.speedcheck.rogers.com shows Extreme to be 10 Mbps/1 Mbps down/up.

--> I get 9.66 Mbps/994kbps respectively to Rogers own servers.

--> Real-world speeds will vary greatly depending on time-of-day, and connections outside of Rogers jurisdiction.

--> Norton Security included. - not really for free, as it's rolled up into the cost to deliver service.

- What I hate the most -
--> Very expensive.

- Requirements -
GOOD FAST internet access in order to keep current for my job, hobbies, education, and increasingly to access and keep on top of very important services and discussions provided by my local government.

- Service Deficiencies -
--> Personal webspace is plain, no "added value".

--> No advanced web services (PHP, MySQL, etc).

--> Reduced quality of service due to interference with certain ports and services, such as bittorrent and encrypted traffic.

--> Restrictive "Terms of Use" with regards to operating server applications.

--> Partnership with Yahoo!

--> Receive HTML error pages regularily, appears to be DNS related. Sometimes have to refresh a web page twice. Can be fixed by using almost any other non-Rogers DNS server.

--> Rogers is experimenting with DNS redirection on invalid domain lookup.
8/12/08 Update: Rogers has hidden an opt-out feature, unfortunately it requires a cookie be placed with the browser (a volatile opt-out). Upon opting out, I notice I'm still not getting proper error pages; I receive Internet Explorer error pages in Firefox (Rogers thinks it's ok to steal Microsoft's IE error pages).

--> Rogers injects warnings into web pages when you're close to hitting your monthly bandwidth cap, a clear-cut net neutrality violation, and security violation.

--> Norton Security - not really free as advertised, as Rogers rolls it up into the cost to deliver internet service. Norton's software gives nothing but problems. There are truly free solutions that work better, faster, and don't damage your computer if you have to uninstall them. If you choose to install Norton's, don't come asking me for help when it breaks. Value: $0.00, lower if it breaks the Windows in your computer.

- Cost to Value Ratio -
Rogers has issued several price increases over the years in spite of global bandwidth prices decreases, and ALWAYS places the blame on increases in the cost to provide the service. The "cost to value" ratio grows worse with each price increase.

- Other Services Offered -
--> Home phone - overpriced! Why would anyone pay $19.99/mo for the first year, and $29.99/month there-after, only to get 1 calling feature included (ie: call display)? I've been using Primus talkbroadband for years, and I pay $15.95/month, and comes with 16 free calling features. Primus has made me a very happy customer, and I funnel the savings into my son's RESP.

--> Cable TV - very expensive. Too many unwatched and unwanted channels. Cost to Value ratio is pathetic, when compared to a rectal exam.

--> Cellular - expensive. Going to switch to another wireless carrier.

- Repeat Service Issues -
My connection has gone down several times over the past year, sometimes for a whole day. Calls to tech support result in the usual "We don't support home routers, connect directly" crap, yet the problem miraculously rectifies itself "during" the support call, while the router is connected. Inexperienced support reps. I get better tech support by placing my head inside the door jam, and repeatedly slamming the door closed on it.

- Conclusion -
Rogers needs to invest in more bandwidth, and improve network topography to offset technological advances. The internet will grow with more connected devices, and more software performing very cool stuff. Our ISP's should not interfere with internet access in any shape or form; this is referred to as Net Neutrality, and is a growing concern for virtually everyone who connects to the Internet. As "getting online" becomes more of a necessity, Net Neutrality will become increasingly important.

If the world switches to encryption by default on all net traffic, that will restore the integrity of the service - it's time ISP's understood that we want them to be dumb pipes, not value-added services, especially when it involves them interfering with the data we receive. Value-add services add no value to me. I'm not as gullible as the average consumer.

** We need increased competition with better service! **

I'd switch ISP's, but with my options are limited to cable or DSL. While throttling and other forms of interference persist, I won't be trading my noose for a tighter noose.

My condolences to anyone who is affected by Bell's recent throttling of wholesale partners. It's time the big broadband players in Canada started to clean up their acts. Consumers won't tolerate this crap for long!

I may require access to the internet, but it's the ISP's that are making the net less fun and less exciting.

member for 7.6 years, 1405 visits, last login: a few hours ago