Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by aabdo See Profile

• Location: Whitby,ON

·TekSavvy Cable
I had all my services with Rogers, everything, family cellphones, home phone, internet and TV cable, then one day becuase of the home phone bill was not paid in time; few days late and I have never received the bill, they cut off my home phone outcalls!! It appears the postman in my neighborhood drops my mail by mistake to others and drops others mail to me, so the whole problem created by Canada Post a blind delivery man

At that time, I was very furious, I immediately phoned Rogers from my cellphone, and said cancel everything, do you hear me! cancel everyting even the dam cellphone I am using right now.

Rogers is a very very difficult organization to deal with, you have to deal with automated phone system for a long time, then the disaster after all this waiting, an idiot comes up and answer the phone. Even cancelling my service with this organization was not that simple, 30 days later, they refuse to admit that I made a request to cancel all my services, and continue billing me. This is a complete rouge organization, sometimes, you feel that you are dealing with a criminal organization called Rogers.

Since then I had my phone with Vonage, Cable Internet with Teksavvy, my TV is Netflix and Youtube, my cell phone is Public Mobile. In the past I gave all my business to Rogers, but they have dis-respected me, ignored me, and often put their hands in my wallet, by over charging and billing.
Good bye Rogers, I am a very happy person without you.

Comments:

Review by Lokatana See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Service is usually stable. Good latency. It can be very fast, if you're willing to pay for it."
Bad "Bandwidth Caps. Very expensive for what you get. Since upgrading to the latest cable modem, some issues requiring reboots."
Overall "If Google fiber came to my neighborhood, I'd jump ship in seconds."

My summary really says it all.

For me, Rogers has been a good service from a technical perspective. I've been a customer for 14 years. The only negative on this is that the latest and greatest cablemodem / wireless router is pretty poor. The wireless signal is weak and slow, and I have to perform frequent reboots of the cable modem as my connection often drops, or i run into weird DHCP issues requiring me to disable/enable my NIC (never was a problem until i got this cablemodem).

However, the big, Big, BIG negative on Rogers is their pricing and the value for service. For the speeds that are offered, and the bandwidth caps that are imposed (especially considering I was a customer when there were no caps, and my service was drastically crippled when they instituted caps), I do not feel I get value for the service.

Yet the only alternative is Bell, which is even worse.

It's pretty much too late, Rogers. If Google ever comes to town and offers their services, there's nothing you can do to retain me. Or you better start working on it now. I'd have already switched to techsavy if they offered more services like TV, but I just don't want to have multiple telco providers.

Comments:

Review by Mashiki See Profile

• Location: Woodstock,ON
Good "Quick, and fast setup."
Bad "Occasional hickups, slow newserver and DNS problems(proxy related), loop hangs, poor connections outside rogers domain"
Overall "Decent enough, good as be considered for lack of compition. Could be much better."

·Bright House
This is an ongoing review of the Rogers ISP since installation since Jan 2002, for most recent updates please look to the bottom of this review.

Was ordered at 3000/500, consitant speeds of 1600-2900/380-440.

I called on a monday, setup was done on tuesday at 9am. Total instalation time was approx. 1hr, including the installation of a new outlet.

Cost break down -
$39.95/mo service
$5/mo for modem
TOC - 12mo.

Provided, free NIC either PCI/ISA or USB. Choice of modem, Terayon, RCA.

ISP states a dynamic IP, but I've had the same IP since Jan.

Currently at my local hub, a bad router is being used I'm talking to the local tech to get it replaced. Hopefully sooner then later, I've had one instance where the service has been down due to my ISP's hub UPS not kicking over.(aka falty UPS) which has been replaced.

Any comments can be pointed here, and I'll be happy to answer them. Or send me a private message and I'll reply as well. I check the site every 2 days.

---
Time for the glorious Update -- July 6, 2002.

Well I've been on Rogers for 5 and alittle bit months, and things have started to go down hill. I have a feeling it has to do with them signing more customers then they have capacity for. Meaning that I've gotten the dreaded 1500/192 downgrade, or would they call that an upgrade?

Since I've been downgraded to the new speed, the best I've pulled from nyc is 1000/182, unfortunatly this is not what I've signed up for. I do have the little brochoure that they gave me when I signed up and it's actually written inside for top listed speeds of 3000/500, ofcourse when contacting support they simply call you nuts.

It's rather unfortunate but I think they know they will start to recive an influx of users from bell, as such will boost their user base. I've started looking into new ISP's as of the 3rd of July. The biggest complaint that I currently have and this has crept up in the last two-three weeks is the "loop-hop", where wether it being a switch, or bad router or something else, causes a users connection to get "hung" at the main office.

Usually that means Your computer, ->local cable office, to booster, to main office or second booster, and it seems to hang out, basicly cutting you off from various parts of the web. You can get a website in europe or asia, but you can't get one in downtown TO. Wether this has to do with teleglobe, or with something internal at rogers I have gotten no offical or unoffical response from them on it.

I do have a few DSL providers in the area, that offer the speeds that I was getting. Tho it would be nicer to have another cable company providing access here, I understand that the terms are rather draconian.

Feel free to post a reply, I'll answer as soon and as able as I can.

-----
Update 3

Connection is more or less stable now I still have the same IP that I have had since last year. The IP was orginally supposed to be dynamic(72hr rotation), but I'm not complaining.

Here are some current speed tests from Woodstock.
2003-01-15 12:22:06 Speed test (det.speakeasy.net) 1210/184 kbps
2002-12-22 22:23:10 Speed test (nyc.speakeasy.net) 749/184 kbps
2002-12-20 02:02:10 Speed test (ec) 1002/185 kbps
2002-12-20 02:01:19 Speed test (speedtest.cogeco.net) 1286/339 kbps
2002-12-08 14:56:59 Speed test (ec) 1069/186 kbps

The one from the 15th is the first speed test from speakeasy that has a speed over 1200 in 8 months. It's tolerable but I want my 3000Mbit connection back.

Update 4:
More or less okay, been some fluky things the last few months. Today is the worst it's been in months. Drop outs, modem resets, massive packet loss. Woodstocks routers have gone up and down all day today. The news server is back up to almost tolerable levels, but I still use Supernews.

New set of Speedtests:
2003-06-15 16:47:44 Speed test (wdc.speakeasy.net) 907/184 kbps
2003-06-15 00:28:28 Speed test (ec) 1092/184 kbps
2003-06-04 15:31:41 Speed test (ec) 1098/185 kbps

Nov 6th 2003.
Things have been interesting. I spent a month with a modem that went up and down, September to October, two techs which were dispatched, the first tech checked the lines which were fine and left the second replaced the modem. Finally got a replacement modem. Unforunatly, it's the same brand as before. A TCM200, the DOCSIS(Toshiba) wouldn't work at all. There was something wrong with the modem, but I still haven't found out what, and people that I know who work for Rogers are unsure of what the problem with the modem is either. Hooking it up causes it to eventually drop off the network, and it's then unable to confirm information with the DHCP server.

There has also been an increase in speeds which I'll list after this update, not sure if the speed increases are perm. or not. The IP which I had for a constant period has switched, and and at one point I had 10 new IP's in the span of 48hrs. It should be noted that I use Windows 2003 to route my computers. This problem seems to have been cleared up. DNS problems still exist, and I run an internal DNS server for resolving now.

The routing has also changed from Woodstock, and there are now more outbound hops to get to an outside node from the Rogers network. On average it was 15 hops to get DSLR reports before the change in Sept. It's now 20.

2003-11-03 03:21:49 Speed test (dslr-west1.megapath.net) 1840/356 kbps
2003-10-31 01:47:28 Speed test (ec) 2203/367 kbps
2003-10-28 09:27:53 Speed test (dslreports-west1.speakeas) 1813/348 kbps
2003-10-25 15:27:04 Speed test (ec) 1958/348 kbps

Saturday Mar 13th, 2004
Routing is still an issue and provisiong as well as other work on the nodes has caused a slowdown across the city. Rogers has yet to give an actual reason as to why the speed has dropped 900kbps or why it has happened after the work on other hubs. DNS issues remain an issue I run my own in network DNS server now, and stalling when downloading e-mail is a common problem. Waiting upto 2 mins will eventually work. As it stands my replacement modem does seem to be working well still. I believe I will be looking for a new ISP shortly, the fluctuation in speed has become a real irritation.

2004-03-13 22:21:30 Speed test @ dslreports-west1.speakeas 1109/353 kbps
2004-03-13 22:11:24 Speed test @ ec 1616/373 kbps
2004-03-13 22:09:13 Speed test @ speedtest.cogeco.net 1672/348 kbps
2004-03-13 22:08:40 Speed test @ dslr-west1.megapath.net 208/345 kbps
2004-03-12 16:40:26 Speed test @ ec 1157/273 kbps

June 23/07
Contract has been changed to cable billing rotation. 2mo contract billing.

Last two years pretty much uneventful, in the last 5 months there has been two or three service interruption's ranging from 10-30mins for provisioning. And a severe issue with rogers' choice of an external provisioning provider to AT&T which caused issues to other networks, causing nearly 80% packet loss. Rogers unfortunately was very slow to take customer complaints and work with them to resolve the issue.

Switched over from an internal server to a netgear hub with internal dns server and firewall. The Yahoo-email merger was and still is highly annoying, since I don't see the service I don't see any benefit from it.

Usual upgrades have gone through Woodstock without any major issues, and slowdowns really haven't happened since the old mass proliferation of the service that happened in 2004, the service overall in this area has leveled out. However following the upcoming year with the increase in housing, business and such due to the two Toyota plants and increase in general population around here I expect another decrease in speed.

The speed increase has gone through as well, roughly getting a speed of 5800/520 from most test servers.

My tech and services rating will remain the same, connection reliability has been moved to 4 from 3. As long as the the transfer caps remain the value for money rating will remain at 3, especially with other companies in the area that offer DSL. However with Woodstock's dreadful telco system, cable remains a more stable choice until Bell upgrades the majority of the system.

Oct 14/08
General improvements in the overall quality have been seen, however due to various issues at border points that have been ongoing throughout the last 6mo, the ping quality to various gaming servers has been 'fair to poor' where a year or more ago I would see 80-120ms at prime, I'm now seeing 200-600ms with rogers not doing anything despite repeated tickets showing the issue being on their end.

As it stands my rating won't change. Still waiting on general 'bell' upgrades on the copper around here. 2009 can never come soon enough.

We've also seen the decrease in the total cap, to 60gb. Don't sneeze you might go over it.

14-10-2008 09:45 PM j-speed 5511 Kbps 503 Kbps New Jersey, USA
07-08-2008 09:08 PM f-speed 6122 Kbps 490 Kbps NAC (Parsippany NJ)
07-08-2008 08:36 PM j-speed 6459 Kbps 201 Kbps NYC, NY, USA
06-05-2008 03:32 PM f-speed 6581 Kbps 499 Kbps Speakeasy (New York NY)

Line Quality:
07-08-2008 08:43 PM Line quality 0% loss latency 59.7ms
06-05-2008 03:25 PM Line quality 0% loss latency 27.7ms

Switched to Teksavvy as soon as it became available. If it's available in your area, or any other independent ISP(electronicbox, start, etc), I strongly recommend dumping rogers and switching.

Comments:

Review by TLS2000 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "SPEED! SPEED! SPEED!"
Bad "Punitive usage caps."

·TekSavvy Cable
I've been running Rogers' Ultra service for the past couple of years with 75/2 down/up speeds. While the service is impressive I do not like how Rogers has made it so expensive to go over their small download caps.

On a regular basis I'm finding myself paying $100 because I went over my caps. They used to charge a lot less for this and the reality is it's nothing but a money generator for them.

I'm planning to switch to another ISP because of this and will do so soon.

Update: I have switched to TekSavvy's unlimited 28/1 service. It's sad that I've had to cut my speed to 1/3 of what I was getting, but at least I'm going to have a consistent bill every month regardless of how much I use the Internet.

member for 10.8 years, 3411 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Legolas See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Cost and Bandwidth Cap(s)"
Overall "The service is reliable but priced and capped in a way you're over paying per GiG."

Been a Rogers customer' for many years and always been reluctant to switch to someone else mainly because the reliability. If Rogers has an issue that impacts their customers they prioritize it differently than if it is an issue impacting other ISPs (resellers) customers. The service is good and for the most part is reliable. Still I is expensive the cost we are paying per GiG. The sales and customer support at Rogers are pretty much useless, if we have a problem I just call them and would wait online for could even be for about an hour before someone say "yeah we know we are working on that"

Comments:

Review by dustmaker See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Rogers offers good speeds at competitive prices especially with their new packages"
Bad "Horrible customer service unless you talk to Customer Relations, hidden fees in bills"
Overall "Rogers has a decent service if you're ok with the Bandwidth Cap, otherwise move to a third party like TekSavvy"

I had Rogers for more than 5 years and they provided a decent speed/service.

The connection uptime was 99% and it was stable, however the connection knows to slow down in peek hours, so I would watch it in densely populated neighbourhoods.

Small Bandwidth Caps, as I am a heavy user I usually had to pay extra for the amount of excess bandwidth i consumed every month. (BAD BAD!).

Now they offer pretty amazing speeds and they're actually trying to compete with the prices for the first time.

However BEWARE of customer service, anytime you do any account changes Rogers has a way of screwing you over! So ask to speak to Customer Relation department and they would most likely be able to help you better and try to reimburse you for any inconvenience caused.

Overall in my honest opinion if bell has Fiber To The Home (FTTH) (please don't confuse it with fiber to the node (FTTN)) in your area switch to Bell.

Currently they offer amazing speeds 50/50 175/175 and also offer an unlimited bandwidth option for extra 10$ a month if you have a 3 service bundle.

Comments:

Review by marknotmarc See Profile

• Location: Gloucester,ON
Good "Installed the next day. Modem rental included. Bandwidth cap increased."
Bad "Install and activation fee"
Overall "Very satisfied at present"
(ratings well above consensus)

·TekSavvy DSL
The deal I got with Rogers was a new customer no contract offer. It was not posted online, but found out about it when I was in a Rogers store. the Express 35/3 package with a 200 GB allowance, modem rental included for 8 years for $45 a month.

My average download speed with speedboost has been far exceeding the tier I have been assigned.

I ordered at 7 pm on a Saturday and a tech installed the next day. He ran new cables, attached new splitters, and replaced the connectors in the wall plates. Very thorough.

I left Rogers in 2008 when they were packet shaping my VPN connection to work and blocking ports preventing me from running some web services from home. All these issues are now gone and I am very satisfied with the service and price.

The only small complaint I have is the activation fee. The contract they have you sign has all the pricing information included in a table, including the install fee, but within the verbiage of the contract further down there is an activation fee of $14.95. I am unsure of what this fee is for and why it is not included in the summary table next to the installation fee.

Comments:

Review by dgass See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Free D3 Modem rental, Faster UL than old D2. Now have unlimited"
Bad "Still see nightly congestion and high ping"
Overall "With the retention offer, not worth switching to an IISP at this time"

·TekSavvy DSL
With the bump to Extreme at the Express price with the unlimited tagged on and a free D3 rental. It now makes little sense to switch to an IISP. If however in the future they remove the unlimited option I will switch.

Ping is still much worse that VDSL from the same location. UL is better at 3Mbps now up from 512K

Had rogers at this location since it was originally called wave. Then switched to @home just prior to install.

Comments:

Review by dnglbr See Profile

• Location: North York,ON

Good ISP

Comments:

Review by TomsReports See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "The service had decent reliability"
Bad "I was able to prove they lied to me - but it wasn't worth the effort."
Overall "The slimiest company I've ever dealt with."

·Bell Fibe
In short: the salesperson lied to me about the deal, and then the C/S reps all told me I had no recourse. Eventually I found a way to get the recordings audited and proved my point. However, in the process they succeeded in making it so miserable for me that I understand why most people just roll over and gave up.

The full story:

Wife and I moved to a new house and tried Bell first, but they couldn't service our home so I called Rogers (this is early 2012).

The salesperson quickly offered me a good rate for a period of a year. He even told me I could easily get it renewed by calling back at the end of that year. The next day someone came and installed the service and it worked! Great.

Six weeks later I got a phone call from a 3rd party company to inform me that I had agreed to a 2 year commitment (kinda wierd that they hire a 3rd party to deliver the bad news). So, I called Rogers' customer support and spoke to a rep who seemed very experienced and professional. Her position was simple: all that matters is what the salesperson enters in the system - they didn't care what I claimed the salesperson had said.

I stood firm on my position: that I knew what I was sold and there must be a way that the voice transcript could be consulted, but the reps all insisted that this was absolutely impossible: the voice recordings are for Rogers internal purposes and what I was asking for was impossible. These conversations were immensely frustrating because I knew 100% that I had not been told about a 2 year commitment.

I've been here before, and I've talked to many other people in the same situation. What can you? You just let it go. But this time I spoke to someone who works for Rogers and they told me that what the reps told me wasn't true - I could get to the transcript of the original call. Now, I'm sure that many battle hardened Rogers/Bell customers know how to make this happen, but I think most customers don't. It involved more calls, asking to speak to an S.E.T., and sending an old fashioned letter, but it was possible so I did it, and they eventually admitted that the salesperson never mentioned any commitment.

They also admitted to my claim that the salesperson had said I could call back after the year and get the deal renewed, but apparently their systems don't allow this. I didn't push that point because it was not the main issue, but was surprised that even after listening to the audio recording and admitting that all my claims were true, they were still telling me that parts of what I was told would not be honoured.

I think it is important to note that the deal that the salesperson signed me up for was pretty simple: I get a discount for 1 year on a 2 year commitment. Though they offered the deal quite quickly I ended up speaking to the salesperson for quite a while, making sure I got all the details and taking notes, and in that whole time he never mentioned the second half of that. This is not an oversight. I've heard endless reports of this from other people - particularly of changes made to the account that resulted in an extension of the user's commitment without their knowledge.

2013-02-16 I cancelled when my term was up - due to the above. When you cancel you must give 30 days notice. During this 30 day period my service became quite poor - in the evening it is often unusable. I called Rogers about this and they said they can't give me T/S after I've cancelled - that my connection is not accessible to T/S. We have had to tether off my wife's phone and try to minimize our use during this last 30 days.

So, I'm still paying full and the requirement that I continue for 30 days after cancelling is their requirement, but my service can die and they won't help me - I'm not surprised, really, this is Rogers. I'm just glad it will be over soon.

join:2012-06-11

Fraud!

Seems like a criminal act to me. Sounds like you need to contact the CTRC and file an official complaint. Let Rodgers know what you are going to do, I can see them squirming in their chairs. LOL
TomsReports

join:2012-01-22

Re: Fraud!

But the sad thing is that it is rather ordinary. I've often heard people complain that their Robellus contract got extended and they didn't remember the rep having mentioned it.

trrakmann

@telus.net

Re: Fraud!

Generally: contracts can't be added/extended without permission of the client. Entry into a contract has to be by very clear verbal or in writing.
If put in a contract, the company really should be sending a copy of the contract to the consumer in order to confirm details as well as a very good reminder that they are in a contract for a specific term.
All early terminations fees must be clearly marked.

Generally: Extending a contract automatically without any notification and without a confirmation reply by the consumer confirming it, is criminal.
If you had something changed by you or the company that caused a contract extension, they have to tell you that is going to happen.

All perks(laptop/xbox/tablets) given to the consumer for signing a contract are to be pro-rated, so that if a contract is terminated early, the consumer only pays a portion of that perks termination fee, instead of the old standard of full termination fee(like $300 instead of a prorated $20).

Ontario ministry consumer complaints.
»www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/pages/default.aspx

Consumer rights pages
»www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/Pages/Y···hts.aspx

Anyone who violates the Consumer Protection Act, 2002 may be subject to prosecution Individuals violating certain sections of the act are liable to a fine of up to $50,000 or imprisonment of up to two years less one day. A corporation can be fined up to $250,000.
File a complaint
»www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/Pages/C···ile.aspx

Commissioner for complaints for telecommunications services
»www.ccts-cprst.ca/