Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by wwt See Profile

• Location: East York,ON
Bad "Customer Account breached"

Rogers allowed someone to go in and alter services on my account. I received two order confirmations proving this: #14939238 and #14939334.

When I received the email notification of the changes I immediately called Rogers to tell them a mistake was made. They had to escalate my call to a manager. He called me a liar and said that what I was telling him was impossible. He said Rogers had confirmation that my ID had been given to the store clerk and that the modem serial number in question was physically in the presence of the store clerk. I had read the serial number off the back of the modem sitting on my desk. The store supposedly holding the modem is over an hours drive from my home. The Rogers manager I spoke to took none of this into consideration. He said I would "have to bring in the modem to the nearest store to prove I had it".

No concern that my identity and account information had been compromised was shown. Exactly the opposite occurred; I was branded a liar.

Comments:

anot

@telus.net

rogers messes up again

Do the usual and call the police who will give you a case number for the fraud(identity theft) and also give them all names at Rogers you spoke to.
The police will do practically nothing, but it does protect you down the road from other instances of 'Rogers approved identity theft'.
Rogers employees at the stores have been known to not bother getting a purchasers ID(but saying they did),,,, among other things(Perp orders cell phone online and have delivered to a dummy address, after the Perp changes your address in your account).
Couriant

join:2012-10-29
Peoria, AZ

Re: rogers messes up again

Considering that most if not all places should have a camera on a Point of Sales desk, a police report may be beneficial as if the police can prove you were not at the location, you can hold them liable.
resa1983
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

Pipeda

That's actually a major breach of PIPEDA.

I'd get this escalated again, and threaten to open a complaint with both CCTS & with your province's privacy commissioner unless they pull their heads out of their you know wheres, and look into this.

I would also file with the police, as its possible they made additional changes to your account which could cost you money, or still have access to your account!
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Review by Dark_Cobra See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "I guess"
Bad "Tech Support Blows"

·FreePhoneLine
Update 6 - 28/1Mbps (32/3Mbps) - 12/12/12
Haven't updated this in quite some time...

I've been on the 28/1Mbps plan for just over a year now, things were all going good and often saw just about the advertised speed and pings were very good, between 12-17ms. I had an additional 80gb of usage free and a 20% discount on a student plan.

Until recently... When my 1 year contract was up, I called them up to cancel since the bill almost doubled. I was sent to retention who offered me the express package (18mbps/512kbps) at 300gb for somewhere over $60/month.

I decided against this as there's other providers such as teksavvy and start.ca which offer the same or better packages for less. Since I use netflix, a lot, both usage and stable speeds are important to me.

A bout a week and half after telling them I'm canceling and don't want their service, my connection has gone down the tube. I'm now seeing about half the downstream and upstream at 14-18mbps down and 1.5mbps up (should now have the 3mbps upload).

At this point I'm not even going to bother calling to complain because I'm done with rogers, good bye.

Update 5 - 10Mbit "Extreme" Line (24/4/2010)
Its been awhile since I've been around, but not much has changed. I've been on this 10mbit plan for quite sometime now and thought it a good idea to pop back over here and update my review...

»/im/88528920/8212.png

As you can see, the speeds are pretty damn near perfect, slight variance is acceptable.

»www.pingtest.net/result/15456657.png

Line quality is amazing, absolutely no complaints there, online gaming and voip work flawlessly, no lag or jitters at all. As usual, heres the latest tracert to rogers, following will be to google.ca. **NOTE** My D-Link DIR-628 is set up to use Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.8.4).

C:\Users\Stuart>tracert www.rogers.com

7 42 ms 40 ms 42 ms 216.239.46.216
8 42 ms 41 ms 41 ms 209.85.241.146
9 43 ms 40 ms 41 ms lga15s01-in-f104.1e100.net [66.249.81.104]

C:\Users\Stuart>

As you can see, very clean connection & advertised speeds. The modem I'm currently using is the SB5100 which I purchased from Rogers. I've also been running a small web server for years now without any complaints; it mostly hosts my VPN connection to access my home network remotely.

Price/performance is very good, only bell offers speeds comparable, I'm tempted to switch, but its not worth the hassle since they can only get me 12mbit.

Once the SMC router/modem comb issues are straightened out (or a new D3 modem is available / register my own 3rd party modem) I'll be moving to the 25mbit line for awhile, untill bell's able to get me their 25mbit since they offer a *wow* 7mbit upstream connection. So unless rogers ups their upload I think I will be moving on soon.

Update 4 - 5Mbit Line (04/05/2004):

Well, 2weeks ago (or so) rogers started a 5Meg "Opperational Readyness Test" and i signed up for it and was selected as one of the 100 users to be a 'tester'

So far ive had the new service for the past few days, and am really happy with it. I get CONSISTANT speeds of 600Kb/sec... IF the server can handel those speeds.

I am very impressed with my new found speeds:

»/speedtests/47···82078773

»/speedtests/48···82078796

Trace Rout:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Cobra>tracert www.rogers.com

Tracing route to www.rogers.com [142.146.40.100]

1 11 ms 6 ms 18 ms 10.40.48.1
2 7 ms 14 ms 6 ms gw03.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.90.17]

3 7 ms 15 ms 9 ms gw01-vlan963.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.18
5.93.9]
4 5 ms 6 ms 7 ms gw02.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.80.214
]
5 8 ms 7 ms 7 ms gw02.bloor.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.80.
134]

Reply from 142.146.40.100: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=114
Reply from 142.146.40.100: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=114

Ping statistics for 142.146.40.100:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 12ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Cobra>

Update 3:

Im now using a modded CAT5 as a Crossover cable; my main computer workin as a router, and the 2nd mostly for email & net while playin UT2K3.

Errr, rogers' eval period expired...

»/speedtests/26···77757095

speeds have dropped slighty with 2compters, but still respectible.

the tracert is pretty decent:

Tracing route to www.rogers.com [142.146.40.100]

---

Original Review:

Well, i have had Rogers Hi-Speed for more then a year now, i am pretty pleased with their service. Its not the best (speed wise), but far from the wost (relyablity & support wise).

When i 1st had the service installed, i was switching from Dail-up (i dont know how i ever could stand it) to Cable. I got the internet as part of a deal they had on; if we get Rogers Hi-Speed, we would get (i think it was) a $200 discount from Futureshop, instore that day. So, i bought something small, signed up for rogers, and then got a $200 off my JVC stero, not a bad deal.

Installation was pretty easy, at least the hardware end of it. When it came to actually gettin on, there were some problems with my old dail-up connections settings and stuff, & windows 98. So, after messin with it for about 2hrs, i called rogers tech support, and with-in minuts they had me online (prob was something to do with the IP stacks in windows 98, not sure exactly).

I enjoyed my download speeds of 3.5mbit and my uploads of 500kbit (i think it was, or close to it) for months. downloads nearing 500kb/sec was amazing! expeciaily up from a 56k modem!

Durring that time i had next to no problems at all, speed was great, no outtages (except i think 1 cable outage, but thats it).

Afew months later, they pulled a fast one on us (rogers users), and dropped our speed from 3500/500 to 1500/192!:( since then, it seemed sad, but, nothing i can do about it, cept switch isp (and i plan on it soon:D).

Still paying a monthly fee of ~$45, and gettin less then half the speed, but with the S-CDMA modem, it was more like 1/4 or less, i was getting mad and frustrated. Althou, the main reason i wanted hi-speed was to play online games (counter strike mostly), the pings were still good, i complained afew times, but nothing came of it. Still, their relyablity was GRADE A++ thou, never went down, only time i remember was once when the cable went out, and they had it back up with-in 30min or so.

Not to long ago, i started having some problems thou, and thought this was the end of this service, and i would switch. For 3days straight (1 of them i had a call in for a apt thou, so, technically it dun count) i was losing my connection and havin BIG problems. I called rogers tech support, and the next day they had a guy out to swap the Modems, and now i have found a "new speed" with in them, constant @ 170+kb/sec.

All-in-all, the service is quite nice, not tooooo much to complain about, other then speeds. I am suppose to have a Dynamic IP, yet it dun seem to change too often. When i 1st subscribed, i got a SoHowear 10/100PCI card, CAT5 cable, and a Terayon TeraPro TCM-200 "SharkFin" modem, installation was free (part of the deal). Now, since the issue, i still have the SoHowear 10/100 PCI NIC. But ive gotten a Webstar DOCSIS cable modem, some new CAT5 (in the box with the NEW modem), and a USB cable.

Their tech support has been more then great, ive never waited more then 5-10 min to talk to support.

The only thing i can recommend to the company is to either a) raise the speed back up, or b) lower the price (perferibly a).

Comments:

MJB

join:2012-01-29

crap

Rogers is garbage .. enjoy data caps

Dark_Cobra

join:2002-04-12
North York, ON

Re: crap

clearly you have difficulties reading...
...I updated a very old review to say I've canceled

Review by abitbent See Profile

• Location: Brantford,ON
Good "Reliable and fast"
Bad "Bandwidth caps and overage fees are a blatant cash grab"
Overall "Good for Grandma and Grandpa, not today's internet user."

I've been with Rogers since the old @home LanCity modem days. I've always touted Rogers as being a great service. You paid a little extra but you couldn't beat the speed and reliability.

The only other game in town back then was Bell DSL, and having to fiddle with filters on every phone etc.. was something I didn't want to deal with.

Since the arrival of Netflix however, Rogers is forcing their customers to stay away from their competitors by imposing monthly download/upload allowances that are far too small in today's internet environment.

Since Rogers knows that there is no competition in the broadband market other than Bell, they know Canadians have no other choice. (they continue to fight with the CRTC, as does Bell to try and keep competition out of Canada)

It's for this reason I will jump ship as soon as the CRTC allows for more competition.

To add insult to injury, Rogers just announced that it's raising its caps (only slightly) on their top 3 tiers of internet service.

If you are an Express customer and below, you are being ignored.

Time to kick Bell and Rogers to the curb. They know what Canadians want, but they are using legislation to keep you $ecurely tied to them.

***UPDATE***

I've left Rogers for home internet and gone with Start.ca. During the cancellation process they eventually offered to match was Start was going to give me but at that point my taste for Rogers had already been soured.

Why would I stay with a company that makes me threaten to leave them before I can get a reasonable deal?

If they ever want me back, they'll have a lot of begging to do.

Comments:

Review by MichelR See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Rock-solid connection for 6+ years"
Bad "Prices should be lower and usage caps should be higher"
Overall "Safe, but expensive without a discount and restrictive due to caps"

·Start Communicat..
I just moved and switched to an independent ISP, but figured I'd review the service while the details are still fresh.

I had Rogers Hi-Speed Internet for nearly 6 and a half years. Connection was not a problem: the technician showed up early in the time frame provided when I ordered the service and from then on, the service was rock-solid for most of the time I was a client. There were the occasional hiccups like the service going down for a short period of time, but that happened very, very rarely. I pretty much got the advertised speeds (first on Express, then on Extreme) and doing things like streaming HD on Netflix worked flawlessly 99% of the time (I don't know if the minor problems I got there were due to Rogers or Netflix).

The only times I had to deal with technical support were when I went from Express to Extreme. I had to change my trusty old Webstar DOCSIS 2.0 modem for a SMC Gateway (DOCSIS 3.0). The SMC came with no manual, and I wanted to make sure that wireless was protected. I wasn't sure whether to use the built-in wireless router, so the technician just told me to give it a try and call back if I didn't like it and they'd put it in bridge mode. After that first call, everything was set up without a hitch. After testing the built-in router for a bit, I decided I wanted to use my own router and called back. After no more than 5 minutes I was in bridge mode, using my own router. So no problems there.

I was a bit horrified by them just handing out a modem without any manual or any instructions from the store rep. I know wireless security has to be on, but how many non-technies out there have no clue about this? I also hate that they force us to get a gateway like that, rather than a simple modem. Stupid. Many people out there already have a router.

I had a 20% discount on Extreme for the first year, but when I moved and called to cancel the service, I was offered a 15% discount - they couldn't do better (I have no other services with them now, so that doesn't help...) No higher usage cap either. Not that ever reached 120Gb (though I had to be careful a couple of times), but I like the idea of not having to worry about it. Once your discount is over, you have to phone them again to beg for another discount, and you may end up with a deal that's not as good - just from reading comments on the DSLR forums, experiences vary a bit.

The main advantage of being with Rogers is that, unlike with the independents, you don't have to wait for Rogers to look at the ticket to eventually act on it, I guess. The service is great in my area. Rogers could keep a lot of customers by just lowering their prices a bit and increasing the ridiculous usage caps.

member for 3.2 years, 1640 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Kane Hart See Profile

• Location: Barrie,ON
Good "Fast, Stable"
Bad "Cost, Bandwidth, Value"
Overall "Watch out, You are paying way to much for to little Bandwidth."

I been using rogers for the past 10 Years and before that Shaw. All I can say is when Shaw was in the area life was good as soon as Rogers came in they told me that Shaw had removed all the good hardware even though they did that without any downtime * rolls eyes * and then Rogers stability came really bad for a couple years and then after that things became really really stable like it should.

Over the past few years rogers has been jacking the prices up more and more and keeping on decreasing bandwidth limits adding overcharges and etc,. They tell me their network can't handle so much bandwidth usage but they can increase their network speeds to 250Mbps lmao...

Rogers is nothing more then a joke and needs to be shutdown by the Canadian Government.

Comments:

Review by Myst3r10n See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "240 Mbps/10 Mbps, Reliable, Service Techs same day"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Rogers Ultimate is ungodly"
(ratings well above consensus)

Got Ultimate Tier today.
Unbelievable speed.
Consistent and Reliable.
Tech Support and Truck Roll were awesome.

Comments:
dan mackay

join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON

yeah...

ungodfuly expensive and pointless

anon3432

@rogers.com

Re: yeah...

Speak for yourself. Allows me to do my work much more efficiently. The amount of time i save uploading and downloading my photoshop images from the corp server is huge!
MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON

Re: yeah...

$65/month for Ultimate? That's pretty damn good. I think they advertise it at twice that. I could barely get them to drop to $55 (before tax) for Extreme when I called to cancel.

Review by quidnunc See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "reliable, fast"
Bad "heavy use is expensive"
Overall "good product, declining value for money"

I have had cable internet here since the mid 1990s when it was Shaw. The service has always been reasonably fast. The catch was that there were some years when there were regular outages - sometimes days and weeks; however the service has been very good in the last years. I can't remember the last time the service went down. There are few hours here and there late at night when they are doing maintenance but overall the service is very reliable.

The problem I have is internet use has evolved. Companies like Rogers want to protect their profits in cable television and turn their internet service into a cash cow. So me and my family actually using internet based services like Netflix or Steam puts us in a position where we run over our 95gb cap and the only option was to pay $50 extra a month, or ~$110 in total or change to a higher plan that is just as expensive and hope that cap is enough in the future. So when I heard Rogers was raising the maximum penalty for crossing the cap to $100 a month I had enough and switched to another provider. I already pay Rogers $150 a month for cable television - it seems like they also want to charge people like me $150 a month for internet which is ridiculous. I doubt I will get a product of similar quality from a third party internet provider but the value seems to be a lot better with a third party provider due to choices Rogers has made to punish and extract unreasonable rents from people who are early adopters of internet based services that will be common in the next few years.

Comments:

Review by engineered See Profile

• Location: York,ON
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (month by month)
Good "relatively fast"
Bad "expensive, low bandwitch cap"
Overall "low value, use reseller like Teksavvy or Distributel"

On Extreme with 150gb cap.

Comments:

Review by CANADIANSOUP_t See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "90"

upgraded to Extreme plus, with new upload speeds, received a really good deal . i'm happy

Comments:

Review by snowblossom See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Reliable connection"
Bad "Overpriced, and it seems Rogers still throttles P2P transfer"
Overall "Not worth the price"

I've been with Rogers since 2003.

If there's one good thing I can say about the experience is that the connection is very solid. There's probably been less than 10 major service outages since the beginning, and the low latency is satisfying.

On to the cons:

I've switched the speeds a few times, but for the most part, I've been using Rogers' Express package. For the current price of $49 (+$4 modem rental), the speed is decent 16~18 Mbit/s down, ~500 Kbit/s up. However, I believe Rogers still throttles P2P connections, as I can't get decent speed on well seeded torrents most of the time. And then there's the problem with the dinky 60 GB cap, with the ridiculous $2/GB over-usage fee with a high $50 cap, compared to TSI's $25.

I will be switching to Teksavvy's 25 Mbit/s DSL line as soon as it is available in my area.

Edit 2012/05/27:
Didn't feel like waiting any longer for VDSL2 connection to be available in my area, so I gave a Rogers a call to cancel and switch over to Start Communications. Rogers CSR offered a retention plan of 50% off on 1 year contract, so I decided to stick to Rogers for a year more: my problem was mostly with the cost side of the things, so 50% off seemed like a decent choice, and I upgraded to the Ultimate service.

Pretty content with the service so far, and it seems there's an upstream upgrade on the way.

Comments:

dabonz

join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON

Rogers High Speed

Yes they Slow Down the p2p torrenting clients during peak hours they say its illegal and the have permission from CRTC

Dabonz