Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by Tristan See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "It's not Bell Sympatico"
Bad "Expensive, poor performance, unreliable DNS service, technical support staff are clueless."
Overall "Yay! Start is offering service over Rogers entire network footprint! Rogers can bite my shiny metal ass."

2/13/13 - I left Teksavvy and joined Start Communications, because Start was offering faster downstream and upstream speeds, as high as 45Mbps down and 4Mbps up. The prices are also reasonable, so it's a fair switch.

If you are an existing Rogers or Teksavvy high-speed customer, you qualify for free installation when you switch your service to Start.

5/8/11 - Finally got the "Congratulations, Teksavvy is available in your area" notice. I am so happy, I've already started drawing people away from Rogers and Bell. Many happy people.

3/24/11 - Still waiting for Teksavvy. The moment Teksavvy is online in my area, I'm dumping Rogers. That's right, me, my family, my friends, and more. We're taking our business to an ISP who cares.

2/12/11 - Rogers and Performance - definitely an oxymoron. Many speed tests conducted over the last two weeks show pathetic download speeds.

Rogers has gone from worse to..... abysmal. My cablemodem is wimpering in the corner, like a starved and tortured prisoner.

I sure wish Teksavvy was operating in Barrhaven. I might get the same speeds, but at least I know my money is going to a better, more deserving company.

11/18/10 - Grew tired of waiting for Teksavvy's cable connections to establish in Ottawa. Was forced to sign a one year contract with Rogers to get better rates. Yeah, I'm rather miffed that I still can't get Teksavvy yet. Maybe in 10-11 months things will improve. I don't blame Teksavvy for the delay. So much for "August 2010".

I notice I'm getting up to nearly 18Mbps down at times - must be some sort of speedboost. No change to upstream speeds. Still on my grandfathered 10/1/95 tier.

Rogers service has had spotty reliability - it has been going down at times.

7/19/10 - Forgot to add to my last update - Extreme has been upgraded to 15/1, but I still haven't seen any speed improvements - still clocking in at 10/1. Personally, I'd rather have 10/2 than 15/1 - downstream speed is less important to me than upstream considering more and more applications I use send out data - a 1Mbps connection gets easily taxed before you even add P2P like Bittorrent. I can't justify spending $40 more for a 50/2 connection when I don't need 50 - There isn't much benefit to me in having 4 or 5x the downstream when the upstream bandwidth is the big problem.

7/18/10 - Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? If you ask one more time about Teksavvy, I'm canceling our internet. It'll be here when it arrives.

5/9/10 - I'm really looking forward to having Teksavvy serve in Ontario. I understand they've hit a great deal of Toronto already. Hopefully Ottawa will be soon. I'm so pissed off at Roger's lack of upgrades, ever-increasing prices, and pathetic response to serious security issues. When I leave Rogers, I will be happy to advertise Teksavvy for free - take as many people with me as I can. Rogers Loyalty program: we'll increase your rates, and hope you'll stand behind our stagnant upgrades. My Loyalty program: leave Rogers.

2/21/10 - Rogers improvements in download and upload bandwidth, and raising caps have become stagnant. Why give the people what they want, when you can hold them over the fence, paddle their behinds, and tell them that they don't need more, faster.

Rogers customers will most likely see one to two price increases before they see improvements in the service.

It's nice that they've lowered the prices of some of the highest-end tiers, but since the tiers don't make any sense from the restrictive upload bandwidth and cap aspects, they aren't worth subscribing to.

In a world where Gbps speeds are being floated around, Rogers has a long way to go. The worst ISP is the one that does nothing to improve the average user's connections.

11/22/09 - I degraded Roger's pre-sales information rating, after careful review of Rogers throttling practices, which has finally been made public. At no time was I informed when signing up for Extreme high speed service that I would be restricted to 80Kbps upload.

Considering HTTP requests are generally small and not bandwidth-intensive, it is safe to assume anyone who pays for 1Mbps upstream bandwidth has intentions to actually use the extra bandwidth. When Rogers throttles P2P traffic to 80Kbps, they are stealing from every single customer.

80Kbps is not reasonable. I accuse Rogers of theft of bandwidth. I paid extra for 1Mbps, and Rogers won't let me come close to using it - ever.

I only want to be allowed to use what I paid for fairly, and occasionally when I need it. I'm not asking for 1Mbps 24/7 - I'm talking about half an hour here, maybe 3 hours there, spread out over a month, and often after peak hours.

9.3.09 - Speeds have been more consistent lately, although they do drop for what seems like extended periods. Still haven't seen a speed increase for the Extreme tier. Rogers isn't making any friends by keeping Extreme at 10/1.

5.25.09 - Speed tests conducted over a series of days have been showing 9.8Mbps/998Kbps, so speed has been restored. Looking forward to the June speed increase, but not looking forward to the inevitable price increase based on lies.

5/5/09 - Internet connection has been going up and down. I can browse webpages one minute, and then I can't the next minute. Outage duration is about 1 minute. Affecting VOIP.

4/27/09 - Just repaired a shoddy hook-up of a friends internal phone wiring to the demarcation point, and now she gets 7Mbps (and bonus no line noise and restored volume). I once said she'd be lucky to get half my speed, now she gets nearly twice my speed. Need to make some calls, Rogers needs to restore my connection to 10Mbps, because that's what I'm paying for.

4/22/09 - Latest speed test showed about 4Mbps.

4/2/09 - On-going speed tests show my average speed has been decreasing, and is now at 6.5Mbps down. I stopped using Rogers DNS servers, and my reliability rate for successful web connections has increased to 100%. Changing DNS servers also eliminated DNS redirections. Why do I stay with Rogers? Oh yeah, because Bell is worse.

2/15/09 - Speed-tests to Rogers servers use to show near-10Mbps down/1Mbps up, but over the last couple of months, I've been getting on average 7.8Mbps down/1Mbps up. I re-test at different times of the day, and it seems to be pretty much the same. If this trend continues, the service will be completely valueless. Time to switch to a lower-speed tier to save money. Ottawa really needs more competition - we need FTTH already! I'd pay a couple of thousand dollars for the last-mile feed if it meant ridding myself of Rogers.

1/2/09 - Is it just me, or has Rogers become super slow? The speed checker to Rogers own servers shows I'm no longer capable of getting good rates (tested multiple times a week).

11/11/08 - I received another phone call from Rogers. They informed me that I'd have to change DNS servers in order to avoid Rogers failed DNS lookup redirections, and that I'd have to call back to Tech Support to get different DNS addresses. I don't want to call Rogers Tech Support, because they aren't smart. I'll use another DNS server that's considerably more reliable. Too bad for all other clueless Rogers customers.

10/12/08 - Rogers is now redirecting failed DNS lookups to their Rogers Yahoo Search page. Opting out only works so long as the cookie that is set isn't deleted. The alternate redirection page is a plagiarized page out of Internet Explorer, which is funny considering I don't use Internet Explorer, I use Firefox.

10/12/08 - Rogers internet has been slowing down at times over the last couple of weeks. I'm not the only person experiencing this, my friends, employer, and even my workplace connection is slow, in some cases dial-up speeds.

10/11/08 - Just noticed that Rogers finally patched their DNS servers for a DNS Redirection Vulnerability. It took way too long for Rogers to act on this issue.

8/15/08 - I received a personal phone call from the office of the President of Rogers. They heard my crys for a solution [for the many Rogers customers] to a DNS Redirection Vulnerability issue.

- Service Specs -
As of July 20, 2008
--> High-speed extreme

--> »www.speedcheck.rogers.com shows Extreme to be 10 Mbps/1 Mbps down/up.

--> I get 9.66 Mbps/994kbps respectively to Rogers own servers.

--> Real-world speeds will vary greatly depending on time-of-day, and connections outside of Rogers jurisdiction.

--> Norton Security included. - not really for free, as it's rolled up into the cost to deliver service.

- What I hate the most -
--> Very expensive.

- Requirements -
GOOD FAST internet access in order to keep current for my job, hobbies, education, and increasingly to access and keep on top of very important services and discussions provided by my local government.

- Service Deficiencies -
--> Personal webspace is plain, no "added value".

--> No advanced web services (PHP, MySQL, etc).

--> Reduced quality of service due to interference with certain ports and services, such as bittorrent and encrypted traffic.

--> Restrictive "Terms of Use" with regards to operating server applications.

--> Partnership with Yahoo!

--> Receive HTML error pages regularily, appears to be DNS related. Sometimes have to refresh a web page twice. Can be fixed by using almost any other non-Rogers DNS server.

--> Rogers is experimenting with DNS redirection on invalid domain lookup.
8/12/08 Update: Rogers has hidden an opt-out feature, unfortunately it requires a cookie be placed with the browser (a volatile opt-out). Upon opting out, I notice I'm still not getting proper error pages; I receive Internet Explorer error pages in Firefox (Rogers thinks it's ok to steal Microsoft's IE error pages).

--> Rogers injects warnings into web pages when you're close to hitting your monthly bandwidth cap, a clear-cut net neutrality violation, and security violation.

--> Norton Security - not really free as advertised, as Rogers rolls it up into the cost to deliver internet service. Norton's software gives nothing but problems. There are truly free solutions that work better, faster, and don't damage your computer if you have to uninstall them. If you choose to install Norton's, don't come asking me for help when it breaks. Value: $0.00, lower if it breaks the Windows in your computer.

- Cost to Value Ratio -
Rogers has issued several price increases over the years in spite of global bandwidth prices decreases, and ALWAYS places the blame on increases in the cost to provide the service. The "cost to value" ratio grows worse with each price increase.

- Other Services Offered -
--> Home phone - overpriced! Why would anyone pay $19.99/mo for the first year, and $29.99/month there-after, only to get 1 calling feature included (ie: call display)? I've been using Primus talkbroadband for years, and I pay $15.95/month, and comes with 16 free calling features. Primus has made me a very happy customer, and I funnel the savings into my son's RESP.

--> Cable TV - very expensive. Too many unwatched and unwanted channels. Cost to Value ratio is pathetic, when compared to a rectal exam.

--> Cellular - expensive. Going to switch to another wireless carrier.

- Repeat Service Issues -
My connection has gone down several times over the past year, sometimes for a whole day. Calls to tech support result in the usual "We don't support home routers, connect directly" crap, yet the problem miraculously rectifies itself "during" the support call, while the router is connected. Inexperienced support reps. I get better tech support by placing my head inside the door jam, and repeatedly slamming the door closed on it.

- Conclusion -
Rogers needs to invest in more bandwidth, and improve network topography to offset technological advances. The internet will grow with more connected devices, and more software performing very cool stuff. Our ISP's should not interfere with internet access in any shape or form; this is referred to as Net Neutrality, and is a growing concern for virtually everyone who connects to the Internet. As "getting online" becomes more of a necessity, Net Neutrality will become increasingly important.

If the world switches to encryption by default on all net traffic, that will restore the integrity of the service - it's time ISP's understood that we want them to be dumb pipes, not value-added services, especially when it involves them interfering with the data we receive. Value-add services add no value to me. I'm not as gullible as the average consumer.

** We need increased competition with better service! **

I'd switch ISP's, but with my options are limited to cable or DSL. While throttling and other forms of interference persist, I won't be trading my noose for a tighter noose.

My condolences to anyone who is affected by Bell's recent throttling of wholesale partners. It's time the big broadband players in Canada started to clean up their acts. Consumers won't tolerate this crap for long!

I may require access to the internet, but it's the ISP's that are making the net less fun and less exciting.

Comments:

Review by ricor See Profile

• Location: Embrun,ON
Bad "Not good in my area if your a gamer....."

Speed not exactly close to what I'm paying for. I have internet Hi-speed extreme (35Mbps download) but rarely get more than 9Mbps.

Plus if your a gamer type person, latency is a killer.

Comments:

Review by KPaul See Profile

Good "Fast http downloads, always good speeds that way too."
Bad "Torrents don't download at all, tech support eats it...."
Overall "Decent service if you don't use torrents, but tech. support needs to be better."

·TekSavvy Cable
Rogers high speed extreme is all right, but the throttling and absolute lack of qualified tech support is horrible. Http downloads always fly. I get full 10 Mbps / 512 Kbps speeds and pings are great for gaming. But again, the cap and throttling could be better.

The $50 overage is a total joke too.... rip-off in my books, simply a cash grab.

UPDATE - Still the same, from many moons ago.

Update - Went with Teksavvy. Better service, friendlier and more knowledgeable people, cheaper prices.

Comments:

Review by Tx See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Fast, reliable, direct tech support, never an issue with wait times when calling"
Bad "Pricing is out of this world, it's no wonder they are ranked some of the worst and bandwidth caps"
Overall "I recommend them only because of the reliability. Price, caps and non ethical business practice are other reasons not to."

·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
I'm not sure why people have such an issue with contracts. If you offer me a decent enough deal that i like i'll be happy to signup for 1-2 years. I don't ISP hop, so switching isn't in my future every year.

Rogers does have some crazy speeds, never a day where my latency was higher then 20ms, download speeds were always above advertised and upload was as advertised. The only problem with these 'fun' speeds were the caps. Just regular browsing and netflix i blew through them a few times.

They used to have a $50 maximum in overage fee's, now it's to a maximum of $100. If you're a heavy user, you're looking at $200+ for internet. The prices are astronomical. For this is why i do and i don't recommend them. If you have patience, go with a third party ISP. Teksavvy, Distributel, Start, ElectronicBox. Though they rely on the big guys at least their pricing is almost half the cost.

I want to hate them but no upfront costs, not a single issue over 18 months so far, it's been trouble free. Our household is on a 50% discount. Though we have TSI DSL in the house, i find myself using the rogers connection 99% of the time.

Comments:

Review by sam17 See Profile

Bad "Rogers Trap"

Hi there,

Having been a customer with rogers for about 2.5 years, my sincere advise is - DO NOT take rogers internet service as rogers is a money greedy company with no regard for its customers. Also to add on their customer service consultants have no sense of customer service and are what I describe as arrogant.

Thank you for reading my comment and hope you dont fall into the Rogers Trap.

Best Wishes !

Comments:

Review by wwt See Profile

• Location: East York,ON
Bad "Customer Account breached"

Rogers allowed someone to go in and alter services on my account. I received two order confirmations proving this: #14939238 and #14939334.

When I received the email notification of the changes I immediately called Rogers to tell them a mistake was made. They had to escalate my call to a manager. He called me a liar and said that what I was telling him was impossible. He said Rogers had confirmation that my ID had been given to the store clerk and that the modem serial number in question was physically in the presence of the store clerk. I had read the serial number off the back of the modem sitting on my desk. The store supposedly holding the modem is over an hours drive from my home. The Rogers manager I spoke to took none of this into consideration. He said I would "have to bring in the modem to the nearest store to prove I had it".

No concern that my identity and account information had been compromised was shown. Exactly the opposite occurred; I was branded a liar.

Comments:

anot

@telus.net

rogers messes up again

Do the usual and call the police who will give you a case number for the fraud(identity theft) and also give them all names at Rogers you spoke to.
The police will do practically nothing, but it does protect you down the road from other instances of 'Rogers approved identity theft'.
Rogers employees at the stores have been known to not bother getting a purchasers ID(but saying they did),,,, among other things(Perp orders cell phone online and have delivered to a dummy address, after the Perp changes your address in your account).
Couriant

join:2012-10-29
Peoria, AZ

Re: rogers messes up again

Considering that most if not all places should have a camera on a Point of Sales desk, a police report may be beneficial as if the police can prove you were not at the location, you can hold them liable.
resa1983
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

Pipeda

That's actually a major breach of PIPEDA.

I'd get this escalated again, and threaten to open a complaint with both CCTS & with your province's privacy commissioner unless they pull their heads out of their you know wheres, and look into this.

I would also file with the police, as its possible they made additional changes to your account which could cost you money, or still have access to your account!
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Review by Dark_Cobra See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "I guess"
Bad "Tech Support Blows"

Update 6 - 28/1Mbps (32/3Mbps) - 12/12/12
Haven't updated this in quite some time...

I've been on the 28/1Mbps plan for just over a year now, things were all going good and often saw just about the advertised speed and pings were very good, between 12-17ms. I had an additional 80gb of usage free and a 20% discount on a student plan.

Until recently... When my 1 year contract was up, I called them up to cancel since the bill almost doubled. I was sent to retention who offered me the express package (18mbps/512kbps) at 300gb for somewhere over $60/month.

I decided against this as there's other providers such as teksavvy and start.ca which offer the same or better packages for less. Since I use netflix, a lot, both usage and stable speeds are important to me.

A bout a week and half after telling them I'm canceling and don't want their service, my connection has gone down the tube. I'm now seeing about half the downstream and upstream at 14-18mbps down and 1.5mbps up (should now have the 3mbps upload).

At this point I'm not even going to bother calling to complain because I'm done with rogers, good bye.

Update 5 - 10Mbit "Extreme" Line (24/4/2010)
Its been awhile since I've been around, but not much has changed. I've been on this 10mbit plan for quite sometime now and thought it a good idea to pop back over here and update my review...

»/im/88528920/8212.png

As you can see, the speeds are pretty damn near perfect, slight variance is acceptable.

»www.pingtest.net/result/15456657.png

Line quality is amazing, absolutely no complaints there, online gaming and voip work flawlessly, no lag or jitters at all. As usual, heres the latest tracert to rogers, following will be to google.ca. **NOTE** My D-Link DIR-628 is set up to use Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.8.4).

C:\Users\Stuart>tracert www.rogers.com

7 42 ms 40 ms 42 ms 216.239.46.216
8 42 ms 41 ms 41 ms 209.85.241.146
9 43 ms 40 ms 41 ms lga15s01-in-f104.1e100.net [66.249.81.104]

C:\Users\Stuart>

As you can see, very clean connection & advertised speeds. The modem I'm currently using is the SB5100 which I purchased from Rogers. I've also been running a small web server for years now without any complaints; it mostly hosts my VPN connection to access my home network remotely.

Price/performance is very good, only bell offers speeds comparable, I'm tempted to switch, but its not worth the hassle since they can only get me 12mbit.

Once the SMC router/modem comb issues are straightened out (or a new D3 modem is available / register my own 3rd party modem) I'll be moving to the 25mbit line for awhile, untill bell's able to get me their 25mbit since they offer a *wow* 7mbit upstream connection. So unless rogers ups their upload I think I will be moving on soon.

Update 4 - 5Mbit Line (04/05/2004):

Well, 2weeks ago (or so) rogers started a 5Meg "Opperational Readyness Test" and i signed up for it and was selected as one of the 100 users to be a 'tester'

So far ive had the new service for the past few days, and am really happy with it. I get CONSISTANT speeds of 600Kb/sec... IF the server can handel those speeds.

I am very impressed with my new found speeds:

»/speedtests/47···82078773

»/speedtests/48···82078796

Trace Rout:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Cobra>tracert www.rogers.com

Tracing route to www.rogers.com [142.146.40.100]

1 11 ms 6 ms 18 ms 10.40.48.1
2 7 ms 14 ms 6 ms gw03.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.90.17]

3 7 ms 15 ms 9 ms gw01-vlan963.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.18
5.93.9]
4 5 ms 6 ms 7 ms gw02.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.80.214
]
5 8 ms 7 ms 7 ms gw02.bloor.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.80.
134]

Reply from 142.146.40.100: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=114
Reply from 142.146.40.100: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=114

Ping statistics for 142.146.40.100:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 12ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Cobra>

Update 3:

Im now using a modded CAT5 as a Crossover cable; my main computer workin as a router, and the 2nd mostly for email & net while playin UT2K3.

Errr, rogers' eval period expired...

»/speedtests/26···77757095

speeds have dropped slighty with 2compters, but still respectible.

the tracert is pretty decent:

Tracing route to www.rogers.com [142.146.40.100]

---

Original Review:

Well, i have had Rogers Hi-Speed for more then a year now, i am pretty pleased with their service. Its not the best (speed wise), but far from the wost (relyablity & support wise).

When i 1st had the service installed, i was switching from Dail-up (i dont know how i ever could stand it) to Cable. I got the internet as part of a deal they had on; if we get Rogers Hi-Speed, we would get (i think it was) a $200 discount from Futureshop, instore that day. So, i bought something small, signed up for rogers, and then got a $200 off my JVC stero, not a bad deal.

Installation was pretty easy, at least the hardware end of it. When it came to actually gettin on, there were some problems with my old dail-up connections settings and stuff, & windows 98. So, after messin with it for about 2hrs, i called rogers tech support, and with-in minuts they had me online (prob was something to do with the IP stacks in windows 98, not sure exactly).

I enjoyed my download speeds of 3.5mbit and my uploads of 500kbit (i think it was, or close to it) for months. downloads nearing 500kb/sec was amazing! expeciaily up from a 56k modem!

Durring that time i had next to no problems at all, speed was great, no outtages (except i think 1 cable outage, but thats it).

Afew months later, they pulled a fast one on us (rogers users), and dropped our speed from 3500/500 to 1500/192!:( since then, it seemed sad, but, nothing i can do about it, cept switch isp (and i plan on it soon:D).

Still paying a monthly fee of ~$45, and gettin less then half the speed, but with the S-CDMA modem, it was more like 1/4 or less, i was getting mad and frustrated. Althou, the main reason i wanted hi-speed was to play online games (counter strike mostly), the pings were still good, i complained afew times, but nothing came of it. Still, their relyablity was GRADE A++ thou, never went down, only time i remember was once when the cable went out, and they had it back up with-in 30min or so.

Not to long ago, i started having some problems thou, and thought this was the end of this service, and i would switch. For 3days straight (1 of them i had a call in for a apt thou, so, technically it dun count) i was losing my connection and havin BIG problems. I called rogers tech support, and the next day they had a guy out to swap the Modems, and now i have found a "new speed" with in them, constant @ 170+kb/sec.

All-in-all, the service is quite nice, not tooooo much to complain about, other then speeds. I am suppose to have a Dynamic IP, yet it dun seem to change too often. When i 1st subscribed, i got a SoHowear 10/100PCI card, CAT5 cable, and a Terayon TeraPro TCM-200 "SharkFin" modem, installation was free (part of the deal). Now, since the issue, i still have the SoHowear 10/100 PCI NIC. But ive gotten a Webstar DOCSIS cable modem, some new CAT5 (in the box with the NEW modem), and a USB cable.

Their tech support has been more then great, ive never waited more then 5-10 min to talk to support.

The only thing i can recommend to the company is to either a) raise the speed back up, or b) lower the price (perferibly a).

Comments:

MJB

join:2012-01-29

crap

Rogers is garbage .. enjoy data caps

Dark_Cobra

join:2002-04-12
North York, ON

Re: crap

clearly you have difficulties reading...
...I updated a very old review to say I've canceled

Review by abitbent See Profile

• Location: Brantford,ON
Good "Reliable and fast"
Bad "Bandwidth caps and overage fees are a blatant cash grab"
Overall "Good for Grandma and Grandpa, not today's internet user."

I've been with Rogers since the old @home LanCity modem days. I've always touted Rogers as being a great service. You paid a little extra but you couldn't beat the speed and reliability.

The only other game in town back then was Bell DSL, and having to fiddle with filters on every phone etc.. was something I didn't want to deal with.

Since the arrival of Netflix however, Rogers is forcing their customers to stay away from their competitors by imposing monthly download/upload allowances that are far too small in today's internet environment.

Since Rogers knows that there is no competition in the broadband market other than Bell, they know Canadians have no other choice. (they continue to fight with the CRTC, as does Bell to try and keep competition out of Canada)

It's for this reason I will jump ship as soon as the CRTC allows for more competition.

To add insult to injury, Rogers just announced that it's raising its caps (only slightly) on their top 3 tiers of internet service.

If you are an Express customer and below, you are being ignored.

Time to kick Bell and Rogers to the curb. They know what Canadians want, but they are using legislation to keep you $ecurely tied to them.

***UPDATE***

I've left Rogers for home internet and gone with Start.ca. During the cancellation process they eventually offered to match was Start was going to give me but at that point my taste for Rogers had already been soured.

Why would I stay with a company that makes me threaten to leave them before I can get a reasonable deal?

If they ever want me back, they'll have a lot of begging to do.

Comments:

Review by MichelR See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Rock-solid connection for 6+ years"
Bad "Prices should be lower and usage caps should be higher"
Overall "Safe, but expensive without a discount and restrictive due to caps"
(ratings well above consensus)

I just moved and switched to an independent ISP, but figured I'd review the service while the details are still fresh.

I had Rogers Hi-Speed Internet for nearly 6 and a half years. Connection was not a problem: the technician showed up early in the time frame provided when I ordered the service and from then on, the service was rock-solid for most of the time I was a client. There were the occasional hiccups like the service going down for a short period of time, but that happened very, very rarely. I pretty much got the advertised speeds (first on Express, then on Extreme) and doing things like streaming HD on Netflix worked flawlessly 99% of the time (I don't know if the minor problems I got there were due to Rogers or Netflix).

The only times I had to deal with technical support were when I went from Express to Extreme. I had to change my trusty old Webstar DOCSIS 2.0 modem for a SMC Gateway (DOCSIS 3.0). The SMC came with no manual, and I wanted to make sure that wireless was protected. I wasn't sure whether to use the built-in wireless router, so the technician just told me to give it a try and call back if I didn't like it and they'd put it in bridge mode. After that first call, everything was set up without a hitch. After testing the built-in router for a bit, I decided I wanted to use my own router and called back. After no more than 5 minutes I was in bridge mode, using my own router. So no problems there.

I was a bit horrified by them just handing out a modem without any manual or any instructions from the store rep. I know wireless security has to be on, but how many non-technies out there have no clue about this? I also hate that they force us to get a gateway like that, rather than a simple modem. Stupid. Many people out there already have a router.

I had a 20% discount on Extreme for the first year, but when I moved and called to cancel the service, I was offered a 15% discount - they couldn't do better (I have no other services with them now, so that doesn't help...) No higher usage cap either. Not that ever reached 120Gb (though I had to be careful a couple of times), but I like the idea of not having to worry about it. Once your discount is over, you have to phone them again to beg for another discount, and you may end up with a deal that's not as good - just from reading comments on the DSLR forums, experiences vary a bit.

The main advantage of being with Rogers is that, unlike with the independents, you don't have to wait for Rogers to look at the ticket to eventually act on it, I guess. The service is great in my area. Rogers could keep a lot of customers by just lowering their prices a bit and increasing the ridiculous usage caps.

member for 3.4 years, 1759 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Kane Hart See Profile

• Location: Barrie,ON
Good "Fast, Stable"
Bad "Cost, Bandwidth, Value"
Overall "Watch out, You are paying way to much for to little Bandwidth."

I been using rogers for the past 10 Years and before that Shaw. All I can say is when Shaw was in the area life was good as soon as Rogers came in they told me that Shaw had removed all the good hardware even though they did that without any downtime * rolls eyes * and then Rogers stability came really bad for a couple years and then after that things became really really stable like it should.

Over the past few years rogers has been jacking the prices up more and more and keeping on decreasing bandwidth limits adding overcharges and etc,. They tell me their network can't handle so much bandwidth usage but they can increase their network speeds to 250Mbps lmao...

Rogers is nothing more then a joke and needs to be shutdown by the Canadian Government.