Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by Rekognize See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Good, consistent speed. In my area that is."
Bad "Worst tech support ever"
Overall "There's still room for improvement"

The installation kind of took a while, about 7 - 10 days. The equipment such as the modem is fine. No problems whatsoever. The speed I'm getting is fast and consistent at around 2800 kilobits.

member for 11.5 years, 762 visits, last login: 4.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by mayertj1 See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "Only broadband available"
Bad "Slow (very slow) upload and tech support."
Overall "ADSL has to be better, but it's not available in my area"

Another update! I'm getting really frustrated with tech support, so felt a downgrade of my ranking of their services was required. I have to admit I was really hopeful after getting a so called 'Network Trouble Ticket" 2-months ago, but it appears that it's all but useless - since if they failed to acomplish anything after 2-months, then I doubt it's within their ability.

I also downgraded my network connection reliability, since my PING responses and upload responses are VERY poor and have been for months. Sending large emails is painful and on-line gaming is impossible.

Installation was completed by Shaw, so it's a shame that I have to give any credit to Rogers for this.

------------- PREVIOUS COMMENTS --------------

OK. Had to update my review, since a tech support call was unsuccessful. It was basically stated that current performance is as good as it's going to get, given current node conditions (he just finished another service call in my area for the same reason and gave the same response).

Here are a few other notes for people to consider:

1. I realize tech support is on the front-lines, and is usually blamed for all problems. However this is not the case. In all honesty, they have been quite responsive and I give them full credit for this. Not once did I have to wait even a day to get a response to an email query. I would have been more generous if they were more than just responsive - and actually were capable of resolving my problems. As it turns out, the problem is with Rogers.com in general, and not with my connectoin.

2. I HAD TO Downgraded reliability. Even though my connection isn't failing, and hasn't since the @Home debacle, it's also no where near the published speed. I consier this to be a reliability issue -- especially since my upload speed is usually only slightly better than a dialup modem, and often even drops below it.

3. I also HAD TO Downgrad value for the money, since as noted above, my performance for upload is only marginally better than a dialup modem.

4. Downgraded service for the same reason as noted above. Given the performance issues in my area (this is not unique to my connection), the service has to be rated as somewhere between POOR to OFFENSIVE.

A couple years ago, I was an avid Cable proponent. Now, all I can say, is what I said before: Rogers = FRUSTRATION and HORRIBLE performance.

If anyone else is in the Markham, Ontario region that lacks ADSL, I think we should pressure Rogers to improve performance and/or Bell to expedite ADSL. Given the option today, I would switch (and I'm pretty sure many others would also).

------------- INITIAL COMMENTS --------------
I've been having problems where my upload speed has fallen into the range of a modem (30-40Kbps) and my average download is only 400Kbps (it's suppose to be 192Kbps and 1500kbs). This is regardless of the time of day. The funny thing is my next-door neighbor has been having the same problem, and I suspect it's extends beyond us.

I've been dealing with tech support for a week, and they still seem to think it's a problem on my side, even though I keep telling them others in my area have the same problem. They still insist that I try all the time-wasting stuff like disconnecting the router, reinstalling network drivers...

I only wish I had a choice for broadband access in my area of Markham - Roger's would be gone in an instant. Of course if it continues to slow down at this rate, I'll be better off dusting off my old 56K modem.

Rogers = Frustration!!!

member for 11.3 years, 102 visits, last login: 10.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by hockey_nut See Profile

• Location: Ottawa, Can
Good "Service is very reliable"
Bad "Tech Support"
Overall "Good"

Only one or two outages in the year altough both times were problems on their side wich took a few phone calls to tech support for them to realize. Speeds aren't mind blowing but very decent. Installation is very easy and no software needs to be installed.

member for 11.8 years, 311 visits, last login: 5.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Iniquity680 See Profile

Good "after new modem speeds up to normal"
Bad "tech support dumber than a jar of screws"

Had problems since October of 2002 had to constantly call them and finally over 1 year later and almost daily calls they told me to goto their head office in Toronto to exchange my modem. I went and they gave me a brand new Toshiba PCX2600 Docsis 2.0 modem i get home plug it all in and my speeds jump up from 400kbps to 2.7mbps WOW constant harassment of rogers in the end pays off no more complaints from me unless they mess up again (knowing rogers they will its what they do best) but for now i'm more than happy too bad it took a year :P

Comments:

Review by BanNe See Profile

• Location: canada
  • CLEC party: @link
Good "Decent upload/download speeds."
Bad "Non reliable/ often just goes down to really bad speeds."
Overall "I should have stayed with sympatico."

I was a sympatico user for about a year and a half i think. Was good, but after a while i jsut decided to go with cable, to see if it is any beter. Well its not, it often screws up and the speeds bog waaaay down. Hell i only get like 1200/300 ish most of the time. Some times it goes up to like 1900/400 ( i got that once lol ). changes to much and i dont like it.

Comments:

Review by renton See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "nothing really :("
Bad "very slow in the evenings, pings to first hop 150-200+ ms"
Overall "probably oversubscribed area"

I moved, tech arrived after 2 days. It's slow slow slow, especially in the evenings I get around 300kbps instead of 3000kbps. I can't play anything really with pings around 300ms to most servers.

Comments:

Review by hellBent3473 See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "...doesn't chew on the furniture"
Bad "...dropped connections, patiently awaiting decisions on "acceptable bandwidth usage", the absolute slowest mail-server interface"
Overall "- when she's up and in a good mood, can be the best buy 4 your broadband bucks"

Now don't get me wrong, if i didn't have to constantly reboot, reconfigure various types of routers/gateways, check on downloads, check on ftp uploads and generally tweak hardware and/or software based firewalls to death - what the hell would i do with myself ???

I have been a subscriber to rogers highspeed (excepting a brief hiatus with Sympatico Highspeed) since 1997 when the service was still referred to as the "WAVE", and was really only a liecensing agreement with US based excite@home. The first couple of years will always stand out to me as the truly irritating 'learning curve' that rogers customer support departments inevitably had to overcome. Let's all remember that odd Canadian regulations virtually insured that cable access providers could command regional monopolies; unfortunately, the spoiled child accustomed to little or no interaction with the other kids can often become the neighbourhood bully when their playground suddenly becomes the turf of many ....

But, then excite@home came tumbling down and rogers had to take a long hard look at this whole internet thing. After floundering a bit, rogers started to realize that adsl technology was coming along quite nicely and the uniqueness of affordable broadband connectivity was beginning to wane. Add to this the realization that along with the vast oceans of knowledge (much that was not readily avaliable to 'Joe Broadband Surfer') within the reach of masses, these customers were not of the same passive livestock who just wanted to see Wayne and Shuster on the TeeVee. Once the tech-support stopped the scripted routine of 'plausible denialability' for every consumer complaint (r u sure u have ur tcp/ip stack configured in the same manner as shown on page .....), it seemed that roger was gonna be all right. Hell, a tiny bit of courtesy can certainly lull the cattle into a peaceful slumber...

Now in the past 6 or 7 years i have lived half dozen locations in the london area that were within the reach of roger. My latest relocation occurring a couple of monthes ago...until that point i had maybe broken the 1 mbit mark a handful of times - barely. Low and behold my new location had seemingly experienced the much rumored headend upgrades that tech-support had eluded to for the past 5 years or so and i'm a consistent 2 mbit plus heavyweight - no longer to be mocked by the scandinavian and slovak dsl users in every hardware or gaming forum on the planet.

That is until the next connection reset/isp fumble ... funny how this pattern is similiar to the stated 6 hour maximum (then a reset) that bell highspeed called normal - But alas, it is a somewhat elegant temporary solution to those evil pirates of the net...mercilessly consuming entire nodes worth of alloted bandwidth with their unattended p2p appz chugging away in the desperate attempt to complete their pristeen collection of farscape/simpsons/buffy/friends and all incarnations of star trek in absolute digital perfection .....Certainly behaviour that has cast a yahoo surfing populace into a bandwidth deficient ferver - with the ever louder cries for capital punishiment for excessive bandwidth usage...

If only the 'EBU' could be nailed down to an actual numeric value that was not dependant upon somewhat suspect nodal ditribution and much needed regular maintenance to an aging television distribution system. I am about a 10 minute car ride from my previous abode, and have experinced almost 250% increase down and double the upload capacity .... for the same price.

I am happy with the relative cost to service provided ratio, and realistically a 3000/384 connection for 50 bucks a month makes me happy to be a canadian ... I unfortunately have difficulty enjoying the sporadic perfection of my broadband muscle lest i'm unprepared to dodge that dropping shoe.

Comments:

Review by spewn See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "When it works, it's fast enough for downloading files or browsing the net"
Bad "constant outages, intermittant connections, and HORRIBLE packet loss issues(up to 10 percent TO THE GATEWAY)"
Overall "Don't waste your money with rogers if you can avoid it, IF you happen to be in london ontario(don't know how they are elsewhere)"

I've been with rogers for nearly 5 years now, I think, I got it very very shortly after it came out. Finally being able to have that ping of 40-50 was great. Download and upload rates were top notch. Things only went downhill from there, however. Jump ahead 5 years, and this is the current state of my connection: Disconnection several times a day(this is not an exxageration or an average, this is a literal interpretation). Packet loss while playing any game, any server, greater than 10%. Consistent packet loss of *at least* 5% to the gateway. Which brings me to my next point; tech support. Their tech support agents, for the most part, make me feel like the only thing on their minds is getting me off the phone, and getting on to the next call. I've worked in a call centre before, so I know it's not entirely their fault; they're graded based on how many calls they take etc, but there's really no excuse for how I get treated when I call them. My first call to them regarding the packet loss issues, I was told that they don't support third party software(IE, games), and so, they couldn't help me. I suggested we try pinging the gateway, if we get packet loss to the gateway, then the problem clearly does not lie within the third party software I use. We ended up with ~5% loss to the gateway, which I was told was "perfectly acceptable, you're never going to have a perfect connection". Dissatisfied with this, I called again later, and got a slightly more helpful rep. I asked him to try pinging other customers modems in my area, see how their connections were. Not at all to my surprise, they were all having the same problem as me. This was nearly 2 months ago, and the problem has yet to be fixed. Within about a week or so, I'll be switching to Bell Sympatico High Speed Ultra, which(from what a couple people I know who have it tell me) is nothing short of fantastic. I'll know soon enough. Good riddance to bad rubbish though.

Comments:

Review by targeshot See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "When you need help they help you"
Bad "Rogers is cheap and they dont care."
Overall "if you get a good connection dont tell a soul!"

i had the best connection in my building (Downtown TO) then rogers came in the other week to "Clean up and fix" the cable lines.... well now my connection fluxes so bad now. i used to get 2.4 but now getting 234,344,532 and 987 if im lucky. ROGERS ARE CHEAP MOTHER F#@%ERS! they dont care at all. im calling htem tomorrow to tell them to get their asses down here and fix this. i will keep you all updated

Comments:

Review by LanceGaydon See Profile

• Location: Toronto, ON
Good "I have never had a true problem in about 5 years being with rogers / @home."
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "The own"
(ratings well above consensus)

I love rogers I have been with them for about 5 years or so now. Never had a problem with them. The only time I have outages is if the power goes out etc. There tech support rocks cause they dont try and sell me garbage like Sympatico does. I get conisistent near maximum speed test results. In essence I couldnt be happier with it.