Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by spewn See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "When it works, it's fast enough for downloading files or browsing the net"
Bad "constant outages, intermittant connections, and HORRIBLE packet loss issues(up to 10 percent TO THE GATEWAY)"
Overall "Don't waste your money with rogers if you can avoid it, IF you happen to be in london ontario(don't know how they are elsewhere)"

I've been with rogers for nearly 5 years now, I think, I got it very very shortly after it came out. Finally being able to have that ping of 40-50 was great. Download and upload rates were top notch. Things only went downhill from there, however. Jump ahead 5 years, and this is the current state of my connection: Disconnection several times a day(this is not an exxageration or an average, this is a literal interpretation). Packet loss while playing any game, any server, greater than 10%. Consistent packet loss of *at least* 5% to the gateway. Which brings me to my next point; tech support. Their tech support agents, for the most part, make me feel like the only thing on their minds is getting me off the phone, and getting on to the next call. I've worked in a call centre before, so I know it's not entirely their fault; they're graded based on how many calls they take etc, but there's really no excuse for how I get treated when I call them. My first call to them regarding the packet loss issues, I was told that they don't support third party software(IE, games), and so, they couldn't help me. I suggested we try pinging the gateway, if we get packet loss to the gateway, then the problem clearly does not lie within the third party software I use. We ended up with ~5% loss to the gateway, which I was told was "perfectly acceptable, you're never going to have a perfect connection". Dissatisfied with this, I called again later, and got a slightly more helpful rep. I asked him to try pinging other customers modems in my area, see how their connections were. Not at all to my surprise, they were all having the same problem as me. This was nearly 2 months ago, and the problem has yet to be fixed. Within about a week or so, I'll be switching to Bell Sympatico High Speed Ultra, which(from what a couple people I know who have it tell me) is nothing short of fantastic. I'll know soon enough. Good riddance to bad rubbish though.

Comments:

Review by targeshot See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "When you need help they help you"
Bad "Rogers is cheap and they dont care."
Overall "if you get a good connection dont tell a soul!"

i had the best connection in my building (Downtown TO) then rogers came in the other week to "Clean up and fix" the cable lines.... well now my connection fluxes so bad now. i used to get 2.4 but now getting 234,344,532 and 987 if im lucky. ROGERS ARE CHEAP MOTHER F#@%ERS! they dont care at all. im calling htem tomorrow to tell them to get their asses down here and fix this. i will keep you all updated

Comments:

Review by LanceGaydon See Profile

• Location: Toronto, ON
Good "I have never had a true problem in about 5 years being with rogers / @home."
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "The own"
(ratings well above consensus)

I love rogers I have been with them for about 5 years or so now. Never had a problem with them. The only time I have outages is if the power goes out etc. There tech support rocks cause they dont try and sell me garbage like Sympatico does. I get conisistent near maximum speed test results. In essence I couldnt be happier with it.

Comments:

Review by Klubz See Profile

Bad "Slow speeds"
Overall "try another company"

Hello Rogers is the worst company! I have been with Rogers for about 3 or 4 years and at the begining it was great now I might as well get a dial up modem to connect to the internet. My speed is about 46ks thats should tell you enough. Everytime I talk to Rogers I am told "Oh its your system" its never there fault, last time called I freaked on them and the next day my connection was 1044ks.... now its at 30ks. FAQ ROGERS IN THE EAR!!!!

Comments:

Review by dhodge7 See Profile

Good "Fast, easy to network."
Bad "can slow down once and a while"
Overall "great value for money"

I've yet to have any problems with my Rogers hi-speed, I had in in London for 2 years and then for the last 6 months in Moncton.

File Size: 2.9297 MB
Time Elapsed: 8.203 seconds

My Speed 2.857 Mbps (365.72 KBps)

This test was done from a site in Japan. not too bad eh.

Comments:

Review by shortys31 See Profile

• Location: Fredericton,NB
Good "high speeds 2.8mbits , down once or twice a year for repair, great service/response to your problem"
Bad "on hold on customer support for long times during mid day"
Overall "extremely high peformance for your money"

my first broadband was aliant telecom (dsl) they were very bad in reliablity.So i chose to change over to rogers cable when they came to my area which took quite a while. When i first got rogers i wasnt super happy with it because i got the same speeds as my old dsl but it was alot more reliable. after 2 months of having rogers ... during the vening (after 5 pm) the internet speeds fell down to 256 kbps from the 1.4 mbits in the moring .. i thought i quiting rogers right there .. but i gave them a call and they said it was due to many people joining rogers .. i gave them a week and they fixed this problem and it came back up to 1.4 .. about 2 months later (now) my internet speed has increaced greatly to 2.8 mbits i am so happy with rogers .. so if your in the fredericton area this is a great choice for you!

member for 12.1 years, 284 visits, last login: 5.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by skillton See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Updated speeds to 3000/384"
Bad "Bad ping times, slow speeds, frequent disconnection, still getting only 500/100 during peak hours"
Overall "I hate it."

Well I've been with Rogers Hi-speed ever since it was @home. It's had it's ups and downs, but when I was switched to a DOCSIS modem, it was great. I got 2800/380 speeds, and pings of 5-10ms within the Rogers network, then they throttled the speeds to 1500/192, I got 1450/180 speeds, and pings were still low, thats until the merged all the customers in my area on another hub, then pings started getting a bit more unstabile, but still pretty low. After that, the connection quality just kept degrading, I now get 500/90 speeds during the day, and I'm lucky if I see 1000/120 during non-peak hours, even at 5am.

The ping times are very unstabile ranging from 30-200 within the rogers network, and it's impossible to play online games during peak hours, when I connect to a server in quake2 or 3, the pings just go up to 900ms or so and it's impossible to play.

Tech support is a joke. First they say they've opened a ticket, then I contact them to see if there's any updates, they say there was no ticket opened, and tell me to e-mail tech support with some traceroutes and speed tests, they also give me the wrong e-mail adress and I have to find the adress myself. So I finally get thru to them and they say there's various rebuild projects in my area and it should be fixed when the're done. Then I e-mail them back and ask how long it will take for them to finish the "rebuild projects" and they say the're already finished, and tell me to do all this useless troubleshooting that I've already done 10 times, and to e-mail a traceroute and speed tests if i'm still having problems.

I will be switching to dsl soon unless the problems are fixed, and they most likely wont be.

I think Rogers is a joke of an ISP, and a pretty bad joke too, users in my area have been experiencing horrible service for a few years now and Rogers hasn't done much about it.

If you live in the north Scarborough area, take my advice and get DSL.

The speeds have been upgraded to 3000/384 but the bandwidth is the same, so I rarely get 2500/300 @ 4-5am. at 10am, the speeds are usually under 1000/100 and by 5pm or so they go down to 500/100 and stay like that till about 1am

Comments:

Review by blackeyes0 See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Always connected. Good tech support."
Bad "Price too high for download speed.(1250kbps) Slower speeds during peek times."
Overall "They need to raise cap back to 3000kbps like two years ago."

I signed up with Rogers Highspeed in July 2000. At that time they advertised "Always connected and always fast" with a free Terayon modem and a static IP. It was definately the contributing reason to sign up for their service other then DSL. Over the last year I noticed a slowing of speed. It wasn't much, so I assumed it was my computer causing the problem.

About a month ago I found dslreports.com and learned my computer wasn't the problem. I started reading more and more from others on the members boards that Rogers has made major changes to the service and dropped the download speed in half. Also, my IP address hasn't change in over a year. Concidering the cost has increased 5 dollars, this was not exceptable. I have contemplated leaving Rogers for a same priced but much faster DSL service. I'm not sure what I'm going do.

I'll stick with them for awhile and see what other changes they make. The speed is still fast but not as fast as I'd like. Only time will tell.

It's been about 3 months since posting this review and I felt it was time to update. Over the last while I've learned a lot about services other members of BBR are using. Many are still upset as I was about their service with Rogers. But now I'm having second thoughts about the service.

After tweaking out my system, replacing a coax cable and cleaning out my system of all the junk I don't use, I've found my speed has actually improved. Not by much 150kbps but it's better then it was. My speed tests are in the 1200kbps range at peak time and 1350 when it's quiet. I started out the review upset because before I came to BBR I had never heard of the service bandwidth drop and felt like I had been ripped off. I've learned now that so has everyone else and there's nothing I can do to change that fact. I on the other hand have looked into Bell's service and may switch over in the new year. But Rogers didn't deserve the review I'd given them at the start of this review.

The service has been steady, reliable and in time I'm sure the speeds will also change. I'm still with their service and I'll see in the next couple of months if things change for the better. That's all for now.

Well it's been awhile since my last review and I have to say I'm quite impressed. Over the last few days and I hope for some time to come, the speeds at Rogers has been great. I'm seeing speeds of 1500 plus for download and uploads in the 300's. What a difference from 120-130 upload speeds. That download speed was also rated from Ottawa, On to Boston, Ma at Speakeasy. Normally that what be closer to 1000-1200kbps. I'll keep updating if it gets faster.:)

member for 11.9 years, 455 visits, last login: 10.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by natkrishna See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Good Service"
Bad "Not the fastest"
Overall "Works for me!"

There has been occasional outages, but the service has been good. I run an IP phone also and the speech quality is good.

Comments:

Review by train wreck See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Consistent 2800/360, almost no downtime, service improved over past few months"
Bad "some packetloss during peak hrs, tech support"
Overall "Getting better in mtmc area"

Updated Nov14 2003

Speeds have been upped to 3000/384 and I'm getting very close to that. No downtime, some packetloss, overall a big improvement in the past few months.

Updated Sept13 2003

After months of complaining I finally got a Webstar DOCSIS modem. My speeds have improved dramatically but for the past week I have been having short periods of downtime every day. Speed tests are always around 1445/184. Not much to complain about anymore aside from the downtime and incompetent tech support. Hopefully Rogers will increase upload speeds to match or exceed that of Sympatico.

member for 12.6 years, 949 visits, last login: 7.9 years ago