Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Good Service"
Bad "Not the fastest"
Overall "Works for me!"

There has been occasional outages, but the service has been good. I run an IP phone also and the speech quality is good.

Comments:

Review by train wreck See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Consistent 2800/360, almost no downtime, service improved over past few months"
Bad "some packetloss during peak hrs, tech support"
Overall "Getting better in mtmc area"

Updated Nov14 2003

Speeds have been upped to 3000/384 and I'm getting very close to that. No downtime, some packetloss, overall a big improvement in the past few months.

Updated Sept13 2003

After months of complaining I finally got a Webstar DOCSIS modem. My speeds have improved dramatically but for the past week I have been having short periods of downtime every day. Speed tests are always around 1445/184. Not much to complain about anymore aside from the downtime and incompetent tech support. Hopefully Rogers will increase upload speeds to match or exceed that of Sympatico.

Comments:

Review by rewen See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Half decent ping"
Bad "Horrible speeds, costs more than the better ISPs (because I don't have Cable TV....)"
Overall "Save yourself the hassle AND the money, go to Bell or check out DSL.ca"

As of Augest 11th 2003: My speeds jumped from 200 to 1000 as of 9:30pm tonight. But I've already cancelled and Bell HSE Ultra is arriving in a couple weeks.

More info about my experiences with Rogers:
»www.epcgaming.com/rogers
»www.petitiononline.com/rogershs

member for 12 years, 111 visits, last login: 4 years ago

Comments:

Review by BMMB See Profile

• Location: Schenectady,Schenectady,NY
Good "Well... Faster than dialup :o["
Bad "Disconnects a lot, barely gets over 100 KB/sec"
Overall "ISP for lamurs"

Good at first...
They reduce capabilities; price stays the same...
Now they're blocking 445 and 135 ports (
Very useful only for Internet Explorer... uhm... maybe for Messenger too...

Comments:

Review by surflord See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "flawless with DOCSIS, low pings and consistent speeds"
Bad "none"
Overall "good value for the money with promotion and ongoing discounts"
(ratings well above consensus)

When it was @Home I left Rogers for the reliability of Sympatico. I recently moved and I was quite a way fromt the CO (4.6 km or so I was told.) and in order to get the upgrade that Sympatico had they needed to turn on interweave. In addition, the speed were kinda erratic. With a DOCSIS modem the Rogers service has been great. Consistent downloads and low pings. The upload speed is slighter slower than Sympatico but I'm not a big uploader so it doesn't really bother me. I spoke to the sales rep on a Wednesday and it was installed and running the next day. Can't complain about that. I'm running a Linksys 4 port router with a Desktop and laptop and a software firewall. The initial price is $24.95 for the first 3 months and $39.95 with my 10% Rogers VIP discount. All in all a great experience which was not the case with Rogers when they used the @Home service. I think I'm going to keep this service for a while. So far I'm pleased.(At least until my node gets overloaded, if it ever does.)

10/29/2003 The speed has been doubled...gotta like that...I've had only two outages(that I know of)in the last 3 mths for very brief periods of time. All in all I'm very pleased for $40.00.

member for 12.9 years, 1819 visits, last login: 2.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by JRC Server See Profile

• Location: Thornhill,ON
Good "Very fast, always on, good modem"
Bad "Not allowed to run server"
Overall "Fast, took some work to get it working perfectly"

When I ordered my service, I got a Motorola modem. It was working very fast, and I was very happy. One day, the Internet connection got very slow (about 100 down and 5 up). I called tech support, and they told me that the problem was that they were doing upgrades in my area, and everything should be back to normal with in a week. A week and a half later, speeds got even worse. I called them and asked them why this was happening. They told me that when they did the upgrades, the installed new technology, so the Motorola modems would not work anymore. They sent out a technician, and he gave me a new modem. Speeds were as fast as could be (about 2000 downstream, and 190 upstream). Ever since, the connection has been extreamly stable, with very little downtime. The email server and web hosting are easy to use, and very effective.

Comments:

Review by markbennett See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Easy to logon, true network connectivity without connection programs"
Bad "Unreliable network, all Rogers employees are liars, very un-educated"
Overall "Their service sucks, slow, bad technical support, company loosing money"

I signed up for Rogers highspeed since Bell DSL wasn't available in my area. Hookup and going live went great. I ordered the high-speed version for 42.95 (VIP program). They sent me the Tereyon and I connected it to a dual processor, PIV 1.8 GHz PC with 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, running Windows 2003 Server. No problems, I installed it myself, and setup 3 other PC's to share the network using a software router (Windows 2003 Server NAT/IP forwarding). Everything worked pretty good for a few months. Their DHCP servers are slow to give out IP's, I had to consistantly call their tech support and get them to raise my priority to get an IP, but once I had an IP, things worked well.

Then, one day, I noticed the service became very slow. Websites were timing out, DNS was sloppy and not resolving a lot of hostnames (even popular ones, almost like their proxy went down, but it was still up). I called their tech support, of course they said everything was fine after running a modem check (which really just consists of checking to make sure it's powered on and on-line). So I set up a detailed network analysis program, it showed I was experiencing 30% packet loss (ie: ping an address repeatedly, I'd see 30% of the packets disappear and not return), secondly, DNS wasn't resolving many hostnames, even after refreshing my DNS cache and getting rid of stale entries. My network log also showed that the packet loss started when their DHCP issued me a new IP on a new subnet. Their DHCP server normally give out new IP leases every once and awhile, but they were usually on the same hub and subnet. This day, for some reason, I was moved to a new hub.

So, I provided all of the network logs to Rogers. They finally admitted there was a problem, and verified it with other calls on my street. Apparently, the network head modem (hub) that I had been previously connected to had been "over provisioned" (a term Rogers uses to say that too many users are on that network, so their system automatically re-provisions you to another network, even if it's further away). I had been re-provised to a network in a town 50 miles away. It was on old equipment (old Shaw leased equipment) and there was a known problem with a repeated buried underground that needs to be replaced.

So, Rogers said they didn't have a date on when it would be fixed. According to Ted Rogers, the CRTC had told Rogers not to upgrade any equipment during the Gulf II War. For some reason, the CRTC thought that Canada was going to be nuked and it was important that all telecommunication workers be on standby and repair only systems that are currently down, not systems that required upgrading. So, essentially, Rogers said that until the war was over, there was nothing they could do.

I tried to tell them that it was easy to re-provision me back to my original network, but trying to get any educated person at Rogers is impossible. Absolute morons.

They would not help, and wouldn't even give me a credit, they would only suspend the service until it was fixed, so I would have no internet. Unfortunate for them, I also support over 30 computer users on our street who all use Rogers and who were all experiencing problems, although they didn't know the technical reasons why. So, I cancelled my service, and arranged for everyone on my street to cancel services, and we're all on Bell Sympatico High Speed and I'm on Ultra (3MB service).

Bell is awesome, great support, great network, high speed, no problems with DHCP, and their fancy proxy firewall allows VPN, RAS, terminal server, but keeps out popups and "net send" advertising. Great service.

Don't touch Rogers, as an experienced network and PC guru, trust me, their internet service (like their cable tv service) is a bad product. Their mobile cellular TDMA/CDMA service is great, their GSM sucks, and their HDTV data stream is a fake.

Enjoy.

Comments:

Review by HiVolt See Profile

• Location: Toronto, ON
Good "DHCP, pretty static IP, decent download speeds."
Bad "slow upload cap,"
Overall "Not bad if you got a DOCSIS, still no caps."

·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
UPDATE JULY 13/2003

Well, even though I've had no problems at all for 2 months on Rogers, I am moving back to DSL land. Bell HSE has abolished the caps, and they have now upgraded their speeds to 1.5/320, which is nice when I have to send large files to work. DSL should be active any day now. I will keep Rogers for a few weeks to make sure I have no problems.

UPDATE JUNE 6/2003

Well, all things considered, it has been a smooth ride so far for 3 weeks. Speeds/Pings are as good as they get on the 1.5/192k cap. Much, much better service reliability than it ever was on TeraPro platform before. DOCSIS rocks.

UPDATE MAY 15/2003

Back on Rogers. DSL was screwed for a month, had no choice. They gave me a RCA Docsis modem this time, which is nice. So far speeds are 180KB/sec down, 23KB/sec up. Will post an update in a few days.

UPDATE JULY 5/2002

Here's another update... Rogers just recently capped the service to 1500kbps down and 192kbps up. And of course still charge the same $44.95 per month. So its now twice that my speeds have been reduced with Rogers, since they took over from Shaw. In less than two years to go from a 10mbit/1mbit virtually uncapped connection to a pathetic 1.5mbit/192kbps connect is sad. And they jacked up the price by $5 too, they say for modem rental, which they havent really given a sh*t about for so long. And yet on my bill, it STILL says $0 being charged for modem rental, and that regular modem rental is $15. So I assume they will be doing the same in the future, once again charing for modem rental haha... Service reliability is not bad, has been pretty good since February/2002 when they did some work on the street. I am going to stick with Rogers for now, until I find out what bit caps they will be introducing, as well as to what their highest tier of service will be and the pricing. I am ready to go to DSL, i have an Alcatel modem I can use.

UPDATE MAR 26/2002

Well, until about a month ago it was the same horror story like I have had since Rogers took over from Shaw Cable. About a month ago Rogers installed a new above ground box that houses the cables in front of my house. Immediately the speeds and reliability improved! I have been getting steady 200+kB/sec downloads at any time of day, which before was unheard of. Clearly the wiring was the problem, and not anything in my computer or the cablemodem itself, which Rogers tech support was blaming in the constant tech support battles I've had with them. So for now, they did improve quite a lot and I hope it stays that way. A note on the negative side: with my lat bill I received a notice that they will be increasing the service fee by $5/month, to cover modem rentals. So from $39.95($42.75 w/tax) the service will go up in price to $44.95 ($48.10 w/tax). I just hope the price increase is justified by good service.

UPDATE JUN 10/2001

-------------

I have been cut off by these moronic idiots for 5 days, they were sending me two freakin bills for cablemodem, how in the world would I have two cablemodems in one house?! After that, they didnt even give me any decent credit, only for the 5 days. The following week, the DHCP servers mysteriously died, and I was unable to get an IP address for 6 days. It is barely up now, dropping often. The tech support is INCOMPETENT, they keep sending "tickets" to @HOME in California(WHY?) or their technicians, and nothing EVER EVER gets done. I call every freakin day, they keep making me reboot my computer, doing stupid tests which do absolutely SQUAT. I cant stand this level of service, I am currently looking into DSL, albeit slower than cable, will be at least more reliable. Rogers completely screwed up the excellent work Shaw did in designing their networks, obviously its too hard for Rogers to figure out. I was really pissed off when I heard last year that Shaw was leaving this area and Rogers was going to take over their service, as I heard lots of horror stories from people in Toronto's west end. I am in the east end and now I have my own horror stories to tell. So if you're planning on getting Rogers@Home and you're in the former Shaw area, please RECONSIDER your options, and perhaps go with ADSL available from a few different companies such as Bell (www.bell.com), DSL.CA (www.dsl.ca), ICA.NET (www.ica.net) and Echo Online (www.eol.ca). Sorry for my little rant, but I just had to get it out.

-----------------

I used to be with Shaw@Home for 2 years until Rogers came to the area and took over. With Shaw i had 130kb/sec uploads, with Rogers they capped it to 45kb/sec. They also cant get their damn billing straight, they keep overbilling me every month, and every month I have to call and straighten it out. Extremely bad tech support, most of the reps are incompetent, takes weeks to fix things, and not to mention the hold times on the phone. If Bell Sympatico didnt suck so bad, i'd switch in a jiffy.

member for 13.8 years, 7471 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by zakihusain See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "High speeds most of times and few interuptions"
Bad "When there are problems it takes a long time to fix and tech support needs improvement"
Overall "A good cable service for people who are tired of DSL"

Rogers is like any other company that is running a manopoly. They care alot about making a profit. At one pointa couple of years ago they did not upgrade their capacity enough and it caused major service disruptions for weeks. Other than that horrible incident Rogers has been good. By the way do not trust tech support. Most of the staff can not speak english properly and have a hard time understanding the problem. Many of them do not have adequate training and sometimes I have more knowledge than them.

Comments:

Review by Dave Cosford See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "The tech people tried within the low standards Rogers sets"
Bad "Horrific pings >1000 , speeds of 200/40 worse upload than 56k modem !"
Overall "Rogers connection is very poor and getting worse all the time"

I tried for 6 months with Rogers tech support to fix my connection all the time I got half price.
They kept losing my work order and finally said its part of a bigger problem,my Motorola modem was saturated and the docsis system was better.
But they would not replace the modem because it was not broken!
I finally gave up and setup my Golden DSL service (which is great ! )
When I called to cancel Rogers internet they said they would now replace my modem ROFL !!!
I suffered with a terrible connection for years and I am so glad I switched to dsl