Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by hafizdoc See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Decent speed"
Bad "Fraudulent chargers for internet usage"
Overall "A waste of time and money, stay away."

I've had Rogers internet for about two years now and after paying $41.67 per month for 25 GB, I was very unhappy and called in to see if I could get a discount. After much negotiations, my bill was reduced to $28 per month, including taxes. However, I was required to sign a one-year term. After observing how I've had no major problems with the service, I decided to agree. However, the experience has been a disaster.

Rogers business plan is flawed to the point where customer service and technical support is a joke. Some of the people working in the customer service and technical support departments have no common sense. Providing simple requests and asking questions is somehow too hard for some individuals working there. As a customer, I've been treated with absolutely no respect. At times, I've been hung up on while waiting for hours on the phone. While talking with a customer service rep, if I ask to speak to a manager, they are reluctant to transfer you over. It almost seems as if they do not want you to speak to their supervisor.

In regards to my main problem, I have been receiving fraudulent bills that have been continuing for the past two months. Charges such as a Technician Installation fee for $49.99 and a Service Activation Fee for $14.95. My internet service was continuous and was never disconnected so I didn't understand a service that is already activated, needs to be reactivated again. After fighting vigorously with Rogers, these charges were dropped, but things didn't end there. Now I'm being negatively billed in my internet usage. First, I was sent a bill for over usage, after Rogers shutdown my access to the Rogers website. Now I couldn't monitor my usage and figure out how much internet I had left. After fighting these charges, they were also reluctantly dropped.

Now things have taken a disgusting turn. Because of my busy work schedule, I've had to reduce my computer use to half of what it was before. The strange part is, my internet consumption went up! I was mortified. Simple things like checking my email, sending a couple of small emails with some light surfing of the internet resulted in billings of over 2.5 GB per day! This continued for a number of days and now my internet has been exhausted with one week to go. I have called Rogers more than a dozen times and have been given pointless excuses simply to shift away blame from the company. I've demanded that this internet usage be returned back to me because this is something I have not used, they have refused. I asked for proof that I've used this internet and they cannot provide that too. They don't state a reason because frankly they don't have a logical one to begin with. Instead I hear stupid excuses about my wireless router not being secure and that someone from the outside using my internet. Yet they refuse to do anything about it. Sort of like saying, "it's your problem, now you figure it out." My guess is that Rogers is negatively billing it's customers and pocketing the cash. Now I'm wondering how long has this been going on without my knowledge.

My case went to a Manager after calling over a dozen times overall and my situation was still not solved. After being so frustrated and worried about my internet service and wondering what nasty surprises I would get in the mail, I realised that as a consumer, I have a legal right to terminate the service agreement to protect myself. When I demand that my services be terminated, Rogers then out of the blue, demands a $200.00 early cancellation fee, something that was not disclosed to me earlier when I signed up. I advised them about this and they simply say that I'm cancelling within the contract period. Yet they don't realise that if the contract was gained under false pretences, it's not valid. In fact, when I reminded one of the customer service reps about my legal rights in this situation, she goes so far as to say that these rights don't exist. As I said earlier, the overall service is ridiculous.

Now I understand why Rogers receives their billion dollar profits from, they have sought to fraud and trickery business practices to make their fortune. Services are being overpriced way over competitors and now their new business plan is to rip off consumers. I am so furious that I have contacted the Commissioner of Complaints for Telecommunications Services. I'm also going to call the Ministry of Consumer Services in regards to terminating this contract. This is a matter of my money and a matter of principle, I will fight them to the nail to get away from this contract to save myself from being ripped off. If need be, I will contact a legal aid representative to take further action in this matter.

I would like to advise other consumers on this forum. Think twice before going to Rogers and Bell. I've been a long time customer of both and have lived to regret it. There are other smaller companies who respect their customers by offering the same products with more value for the money.

Never again will I be a Rogers customer.

P.S. One more issue, to all consumers on this forum: Please take the time to look at the photo provided. This is an image of the main cable box at the back of my apartment building, which houses all the main connections for the apartment complex. This box sustained damage and was neglected by Rogers for months. After many attempts from my superintendent to contact Rogers, they never came to fix it. To this day, I still don't know if it has been fixed.

Imagine that.

Comments:

Review by classicaldog See Profile

• Location: Thornhill,ON
Good "High availability, robust, not many restrictions"
Bad "Outages overnight may require power down reset; Speed only about half of advertised ; Difficult to navigate Rogers web pages"
Overall "Good to very good; price on the high side."

When I first subscribed in 2004 Rogers was the only high speed available in my area. As time has gone on, speeds and reliability have improved. My main disappointment is that I don't see the advertised speed (24) the fastest I've seen is about 18 but typical is 9-12 Mbps. My modem is an old Webstar but I found the specs for it, and it is supposedly capable up to 30. Rogers claims that it is only good to 10! Like many ISPs, speed and data volume are packaged together - I wish they were separate. I would like to drop one level in speed but maintain the data volume, that is not possible. I cannot say much about tech support because I've had so few problems I've not had to call them. Problems I thought were Rogers were, I discovered, my old D-Link router. The new TP-LINK router seems flawless.

Comments:

Review by shannoncc98 See Profile

Good "Stable connection, rarely ever went down"
Bad "Everything else, especially throttling almost everything under the sun"
Overall "Rogers advertises one thing, and provides another"

I canceled Rogers internet 2 months ago to go with Teksavvy. When I mentioned that the reason was throttling, they denied that they throttled anything. I also mentioned ridiculous overage charges for going over the 60gb internet and their response was 'you can pay more for more bandwidth'. Paying for 12 mbits and only receiving 0.5 mbit making Netflix practically unusable was just a waste of money. I guess they want customers to pay them $8 for one on-demand movie as opposed to the $8 a month for Netflix access to 1000's of movies and tv shows. Stay away from Rogers internet. I may also switch from Rogers cable to Shaw Direct soon. I doubt Rogers will try to save me, if recent experience with their retentions has taught me anything.

Comments:

Review by franklyong See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Okay if you can mind the cap, and speed upgrades yearly"
Bad "Prices due to overage"
Overall "If you want almost worry free service"

·WIND Mobile
-Congestion would affect you since you are limited to your local node / POI.
-Lite Package for 36.95 @ 60GB initially, but now 25GB -> 15GB
-Install went fine but put me on the Express tier instead of the Lite tier.
-Problems with overcharging on multiple occurences
-Terayon TCM200 -> SA Webstar DPX2100 -> SA Webstar DPC2100
-Throttling if you get affected it can be painful (Rogers denies nothing wrong with it)

Comments:

Review by arahman56 See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Reliable speed, little slowdowns"
Bad "Extremely low usage caps, high overage fees and traffic throttling make it a really horrible option value"
Overall "While the deals can make Rogers look like a good choice, stay away if you like to do anything even slightly bandwidth intensive"

-I had been a customer of Rogers since 2007, when I got a bundle with them (TV + Phone + Internet), so I am getting a $3.60 discount (the cost is the ($35.99 monthly price + $4 modem rental - $3.60 discount) + 13% Tax.-

So here's the thing: With Rogers, I can get a very reliable speed. With a 3mbit "Lite" plan, I have rarely, if ever, noticed any slowdowns, even at peak times.

However, this is all negated by the low usage caps. Rogers/Bell is probably the only company that had lowered the usage cap over time, while also increasing overage fees to truly ridiculous levels. The Lite plan was Unlimited at first, which was then brought down to 60GB, then down to 25GB + $2.50/GB overage, before going down finally to 15GB + $4/GB overage recently. I had been "lucky" to get in when the cap was 25GB. It might have worked earlier, but not anymore. The last few months had been really rocky ones, with me regularly going over. This has all culminated in me finally cancelling Rogers for Distributel (actually, I had been looking at Teksavvy, but they have a stop sell in my area, and the DSL service would requite dryloop fees. Boo...)

Anyone looking to get in now: FORGET IT. 15GB is useless for anything other than basic web surfing, even then, you might have to use Opera Turbo or other options depending on how much you surf. Even light YouTube usage can get you slammed with $4/GB overage fees.

[Just to put it in perspective: Internet usage costs almost nothing, bandwidth is the one that costs the most. Capping usage also doesn't help congestion, which is caused by too many people using the Internet at the same time (think rush hour traffic), not how much they used. Also, bandwidth is a non-limited resource. And the best part? Gas, which is a limited resource, costs $3/gallon.]

If you're looking for a good internet service, I would suggest looking at Teksavvy, Distributel, Acanac or ElectronicBox if you're in the GTA region. Check the forums for service availability, and check their plans for ones that would suit you. More often than not, they would be just as affordable, and you also don't have to worry about overages.

member for 3 years, 500 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by stephsm See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Good speeds, stable connection"
Bad "Terrible caps, terrible overage costs, slow DNS lookups, poor communication"
Overall "While the service itself is good overall, it's not worth the cost."

Update - about a week after the cancellation date, I got another final bill for Overage. This pisses me off for the simple fact that I never got any notifications via email or web browser, not to mention that they disabled the tracking on the billing page. While I do take responsibility for going over my overage, I will never go back to Rogers for this underhanded tactic and will make sure to steer friends, family and clients away from them.

I've had Rogers for the last 5 years as Bell was not available in my new location. Service itself has been stable and consistent over these 5 years and I've not had any complaints.

However, with the advent of streaming, Rogers is no longer a viable option. I had a 60GB limit which over the last 3-4 months I've exceeded, a couple of times hitting their max $50 overage a couple of times. While I did try to purchase a higher alotment by going up to the next tier, the order got cancelled and I didn't receive any communication from their office explaining why, nor could they explain why when I called. This couple with the fact that warnings about going over your usage are inconsistant, I decided to move to another provider, which I was successfully switched over to yesterday, and I'll write a review about that one later, once I've had a little more time to evaluate. But seeing as it's essentially the same connection, I'm expecting the same service, at a better cost, better bandwidth allowance, and less of the negatives.

As for the DNS in the negatives; I had been having problems downloading an huge update to a game on our PS3, and it would consistently fail. after doing some searches, it seems like the DNS lookup for Rogers is pretty poor as well. Switched it to Google's free DNS servers and wow, what a difference. Not only did the patch go through without a hitch on the first try (had tried several times previously), but I hadn't realize how much it affected web pages browsing; I had always figured that the sites hosted the pages were just slow, so letting them take a 10 -15 seconds to load up was fine by me...same sites using the new DNS servers and bam, up almost immediately after clicking go...

Cheers!

Steph S.

Comments:

Review by Ian See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Nothing good about Rogers"
Bad "High Latency in evening."
Overall "If something else is available to you, anything at all, short of dial-up, get it."

In a situation where I have to use the Rogers service. Wish that wasn't the case.

member for 12.1 years, 5829 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by KillerNIC See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Caps, Throttling, Poor Customer Service, rude customer service, arrogance."
Overall "Extreme Plus is a joke."

Rogers Positives:

- Connection is stable, usually.
- Can't think of anything else

Rogers Negatives:
-Rude CSR's
-Lying CSR's
-Expensive
-Throttling
-Low bit caps
-Crappy hardware

member for 11.4 years, 1631 visits, last login: 300 days ago

Comments:

Review by MJB See Profile

Good "Web Surfing"
Bad "Throttling, UBB, DNS Redirects"
Overall "Worst ISP in Canada"

·VMedia
·ACN DSL
Rogers is a piece of crap

Comments:

Review by thebaron See Profile

• Location: Stittsville,ON
Good "I can browse wikipedia really fast!"
Bad "Low caps, throttling, stalls, no video streaming"
Overall "Can't wait for someone else to come along, then it's bye-bye!"

If you plan on doing anything other than browsing, forget it. Netflix, torrents, wow etc are awful.

member for 10.7 years, 4748 visits, last login: a few hours ago