Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by MichelR See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Rock-solid connection for 6+ years"
Bad "Prices should be lower and usage caps should be higher"
Overall "Safe, but expensive without a discount and restrictive due to caps"

I just moved and switched to an independent ISP, but figured I'd review the service while the details are still fresh.

I had Rogers Hi-Speed Internet for nearly 6 and a half years. Connection was not a problem: the technician showed up early in the time frame provided when I ordered the service and from then on, the service was rock-solid for most of the time I was a client. There were the occasional hiccups like the service going down for a short period of time, but that happened very, very rarely. I pretty much got the advertised speeds (first on Express, then on Extreme) and doing things like streaming HD on Netflix worked flawlessly 99% of the time (I don't know if the minor problems I got there were due to Rogers or Netflix).

The only times I had to deal with technical support were when I went from Express to Extreme. I had to change my trusty old Webstar DOCSIS 2.0 modem for a SMC Gateway (DOCSIS 3.0). The SMC came with no manual, and I wanted to make sure that wireless was protected. I wasn't sure whether to use the built-in wireless router, so the technician just told me to give it a try and call back if I didn't like it and they'd put it in bridge mode. After that first call, everything was set up without a hitch. After testing the built-in router for a bit, I decided I wanted to use my own router and called back. After no more than 5 minutes I was in bridge mode, using my own router. So no problems there.

I was a bit horrified by them just handing out a modem without any manual or any instructions from the store rep. I know wireless security has to be on, but how many non-technies out there have no clue about this? I also hate that they force us to get a gateway like that, rather than a simple modem. Stupid. Many people out there already have a router.

I had a 20% discount on Extreme for the first year, but when I moved and called to cancel the service, I was offered a 15% discount - they couldn't do better (I have no other services with them now, so that doesn't help...) No higher usage cap either. Not that ever reached 120Gb (though I had to be careful a couple of times), but I like the idea of not having to worry about it. Once your discount is over, you have to phone them again to beg for another discount, and you may end up with a deal that's not as good - just from reading comments on the DSLR forums, experiences vary a bit.

The main advantage of being with Rogers is that, unlike with the independents, you don't have to wait for Rogers to look at the ticket to eventually act on it, I guess. The service is great in my area. Rogers could keep a lot of customers by just lowering their prices a bit and increasing the ridiculous usage caps.

member for 3.5 years, 1823 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Kane Hart See Profile

• Location: Barrie,ON
Good "Fast, Stable"
Bad "Cost, Bandwidth, Value"
Overall "Watch out, You are paying way to much for to little Bandwidth."

I been using rogers for the past 10 Years and before that Shaw. All I can say is when Shaw was in the area life was good as soon as Rogers came in they told me that Shaw had removed all the good hardware even though they did that without any downtime * rolls eyes * and then Rogers stability came really bad for a couple years and then after that things became really really stable like it should.

Over the past few years rogers has been jacking the prices up more and more and keeping on decreasing bandwidth limits adding overcharges and etc,. They tell me their network can't handle so much bandwidth usage but they can increase their network speeds to 250Mbps lmao...

Rogers is nothing more then a joke and needs to be shutdown by the Canadian Government.

Comments:

Review by Myst3r10n See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "240 Mbps/10 Mbps, Reliable, Service Techs same day"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Rogers Ultimate is ungodly"
(ratings well above consensus)

Got Ultimate Tier today.
Unbelievable speed.
Consistent and Reliable.
Tech Support and Truck Roll were awesome.

Comments:
dan mackay

join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON

yeah...

ungodfuly expensive and pointless

anon3432

@rogers.com

Re: yeah...

Speak for yourself. Allows me to do my work much more efficiently. The amount of time i save uploading and downloading my photoshop images from the corp server is huge!
MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON

Re: yeah...

$65/month for Ultimate? That's pretty damn good. I think they advertise it at twice that. I could barely get them to drop to $55 (before tax) for Extreme when I called to cancel.

Review by quidnunc See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "reliable, fast"
Bad "heavy use is expensive"
Overall "good product, declining value for money"

I have had cable internet here since the mid 1990s when it was Shaw. The service has always been reasonably fast. The catch was that there were some years when there were regular outages - sometimes days and weeks; however the service has been very good in the last years. I can't remember the last time the service went down. There are few hours here and there late at night when they are doing maintenance but overall the service is very reliable.

The problem I have is internet use has evolved. Companies like Rogers want to protect their profits in cable television and turn their internet service into a cash cow. So me and my family actually using internet based services like Netflix or Steam puts us in a position where we run over our 95gb cap and the only option was to pay $50 extra a month, or ~$110 in total or change to a higher plan that is just as expensive and hope that cap is enough in the future. So when I heard Rogers was raising the maximum penalty for crossing the cap to $100 a month I had enough and switched to another provider. I already pay Rogers $150 a month for cable television - it seems like they also want to charge people like me $150 a month for internet which is ridiculous. I doubt I will get a product of similar quality from a third party internet provider but the value seems to be a lot better with a third party provider due to choices Rogers has made to punish and extract unreasonable rents from people who are early adopters of internet based services that will be common in the next few years.

Comments:

Review by engineered See Profile

• Location: York,ON
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (month by month)
Good "relatively fast"
Bad "expensive, low bandwitch cap"
Overall "low value, use reseller like Teksavvy or Distributel"

On Extreme with 150gb cap.

Comments:

Review by CANADIANSOUP_t See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "90"

upgraded to Extreme plus, with new upload speeds, received a really good deal . i'm happy

Comments:

Review by snowblossom See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Reliable connection"
Bad "Overpriced, and it seems Rogers still throttles P2P transfer"
Overall "Not worth the price"

I've been with Rogers since 2003.

If there's one good thing I can say about the experience is that the connection is very solid. There's probably been less than 10 major service outages since the beginning, and the low latency is satisfying.

On to the cons:

I've switched the speeds a few times, but for the most part, I've been using Rogers' Express package. For the current price of $49 (+$4 modem rental), the speed is decent 16~18 Mbit/s down, ~500 Kbit/s up. However, I believe Rogers still throttles P2P connections, as I can't get decent speed on well seeded torrents most of the time. And then there's the problem with the dinky 60 GB cap, with the ridiculous $2/GB over-usage fee with a high $50 cap, compared to TSI's $25.

I will be switching to Teksavvy's 25 Mbit/s DSL line as soon as it is available in my area.

Edit 2012/05/27:
Didn't feel like waiting any longer for VDSL2 connection to be available in my area, so I gave a Rogers a call to cancel and switch over to Start Communications. Rogers CSR offered a retention plan of 50% off on 1 year contract, so I decided to stick to Rogers for a year more: my problem was mostly with the cost side of the things, so 50% off seemed like a decent choice, and I upgraded to the Ultimate service.

Pretty content with the service so far, and it seems there's an upstream upgrade on the way.

Comments:

dabonz

join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON

Rogers High Speed

Yes they Slow Down the p2p torrenting clients during peak hours they say its illegal and the have permission from CRTC

Dabonz

Review by hafizdoc See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Decent speed"
Bad "Fraudulent chargers for internet usage"
Overall "A waste of time and money, stay away."

I've had Rogers internet for about two years now and after paying $41.67 per month for 25 GB, I was very unhappy and called in to see if I could get a discount. After much negotiations, my bill was reduced to $28 per month, including taxes. However, I was required to sign a one-year term. After observing how I've had no major problems with the service, I decided to agree. However, the experience has been a disaster.

Rogers business plan is flawed to the point where customer service and technical support is a joke. Some of the people working in the customer service and technical support departments have no common sense. Providing simple requests and asking questions is somehow too hard for some individuals working there. As a customer, I've been treated with absolutely no respect. At times, I've been hung up on while waiting for hours on the phone. While talking with a customer service rep, if I ask to speak to a manager, they are reluctant to transfer you over. It almost seems as if they do not want you to speak to their supervisor.

In regards to my main problem, I have been receiving fraudulent bills that have been continuing for the past two months. Charges such as a Technician Installation fee for $49.99 and a Service Activation Fee for $14.95. My internet service was continuous and was never disconnected so I didn't understand a service that is already activated, needs to be reactivated again. After fighting vigorously with Rogers, these charges were dropped, but things didn't end there. Now I'm being negatively billed in my internet usage. First, I was sent a bill for over usage, after Rogers shutdown my access to the Rogers website. Now I couldn't monitor my usage and figure out how much internet I had left. After fighting these charges, they were also reluctantly dropped.

Now things have taken a disgusting turn. Because of my busy work schedule, I've had to reduce my computer use to half of what it was before. The strange part is, my internet consumption went up! I was mortified. Simple things like checking my email, sending a couple of small emails with some light surfing of the internet resulted in billings of over 2.5 GB per day! This continued for a number of days and now my internet has been exhausted with one week to go. I have called Rogers more than a dozen times and have been given pointless excuses simply to shift away blame from the company. I've demanded that this internet usage be returned back to me because this is something I have not used, they have refused. I asked for proof that I've used this internet and they cannot provide that too. They don't state a reason because frankly they don't have a logical one to begin with. Instead I hear stupid excuses about my wireless router not being secure and that someone from the outside using my internet. Yet they refuse to do anything about it. Sort of like saying, "it's your problem, now you figure it out." My guess is that Rogers is negatively billing it's customers and pocketing the cash. Now I'm wondering how long has this been going on without my knowledge.

My case went to a Manager after calling over a dozen times overall and my situation was still not solved. After being so frustrated and worried about my internet service and wondering what nasty surprises I would get in the mail, I realised that as a consumer, I have a legal right to terminate the service agreement to protect myself. When I demand that my services be terminated, Rogers then out of the blue, demands a $200.00 early cancellation fee, something that was not disclosed to me earlier when I signed up. I advised them about this and they simply say that I'm cancelling within the contract period. Yet they don't realise that if the contract was gained under false pretences, it's not valid. In fact, when I reminded one of the customer service reps about my legal rights in this situation, she goes so far as to say that these rights don't exist. As I said earlier, the overall service is ridiculous.

Now I understand why Rogers receives their billion dollar profits from, they have sought to fraud and trickery business practices to make their fortune. Services are being overpriced way over competitors and now their new business plan is to rip off consumers. I am so furious that I have contacted the Commissioner of Complaints for Telecommunications Services. I'm also going to call the Ministry of Consumer Services in regards to terminating this contract. This is a matter of my money and a matter of principle, I will fight them to the nail to get away from this contract to save myself from being ripped off. If need be, I will contact a legal aid representative to take further action in this matter.

I would like to advise other consumers on this forum. Think twice before going to Rogers and Bell. I've been a long time customer of both and have lived to regret it. There are other smaller companies who respect their customers by offering the same products with more value for the money.

Never again will I be a Rogers customer.

P.S. One more issue, to all consumers on this forum: Please take the time to look at the photo provided. This is an image of the main cable box at the back of my apartment building, which houses all the main connections for the apartment complex. This box sustained damage and was neglected by Rogers for months. After many attempts from my superintendent to contact Rogers, they never came to fix it. To this day, I still don't know if it has been fixed.

Imagine that.

Comments:

Review by classicaldog See Profile

• Location: Thornhill,ON
Good "High availability, robust, not many restrictions"
Bad "Outages overnight may require power down reset; Speed only about half of advertised ; Difficult to navigate Rogers web pages"
Overall "Good to very good; price on the high side."

When I first subscribed in 2004 Rogers was the only high speed available in my area. As time has gone on, speeds and reliability have improved. My main disappointment is that I don't see the advertised speed (24) the fastest I've seen is about 18 but typical is 9-12 Mbps. My modem is an old Webstar but I found the specs for it, and it is supposedly capable up to 30. Rogers claims that it is only good to 10! Like many ISPs, speed and data volume are packaged together - I wish they were separate. I would like to drop one level in speed but maintain the data volume, that is not possible. I cannot say much about tech support because I've had so few problems I've not had to call them. Problems I thought were Rogers were, I discovered, my old D-Link router. The new TP-LINK router seems flawless.

Comments:

Review by shannoncc98 See Profile

Good "Stable connection, rarely ever went down"
Bad "Everything else, especially throttling almost everything under the sun"
Overall "Rogers advertises one thing, and provides another"

I canceled Rogers internet 2 months ago to go with Teksavvy. When I mentioned that the reason was throttling, they denied that they throttled anything. I also mentioned ridiculous overage charges for going over the 60gb internet and their response was 'you can pay more for more bandwidth'. Paying for 12 mbits and only receiving 0.5 mbit making Netflix practically unusable was just a waste of money. I guess they want customers to pay them $8 for one on-demand movie as opposed to the $8 a month for Netflix access to 1000's of movies and tv shows. Stay away from Rogers internet. I may also switch from Rogers cable to Shaw Direct soon. I doubt Rogers will try to save me, if recent experience with their retentions has taught me anything.