Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by classicaldog See Profile

• Location: Thornhill,ON
Good "High availability, robust, not many restrictions"
Bad "Outages overnight may require power down reset; Speed only about half of advertised ; Difficult to navigate Rogers web pages"
Overall "Good to very good; price on the high side."

When I first subscribed in 2004 Rogers was the only high speed available in my area. As time has gone on, speeds and reliability have improved. My main disappointment is that I don't see the advertised speed (24) the fastest I've seen is about 18 but typical is 9-12 Mbps. My modem is an old Webstar but I found the specs for it, and it is supposedly capable up to 30. Rogers claims that it is only good to 10! Like many ISPs, speed and data volume are packaged together - I wish they were separate. I would like to drop one level in speed but maintain the data volume, that is not possible. I cannot say much about tech support because I've had so few problems I've not had to call them. Problems I thought were Rogers were, I discovered, my old D-Link router. The new TP-LINK router seems flawless.

Comments:

Review by shannoncc98 See Profile

Good "Stable connection, rarely ever went down"
Bad "Everything else, especially throttling almost everything under the sun"
Overall "Rogers advertises one thing, and provides another"

I canceled Rogers internet 2 months ago to go with Teksavvy. When I mentioned that the reason was throttling, they denied that they throttled anything. I also mentioned ridiculous overage charges for going over the 60gb internet and their response was 'you can pay more for more bandwidth'. Paying for 12 mbits and only receiving 0.5 mbit making Netflix practically unusable was just a waste of money. I guess they want customers to pay them $8 for one on-demand movie as opposed to the $8 a month for Netflix access to 1000's of movies and tv shows. Stay away from Rogers internet. I may also switch from Rogers cable to Shaw Direct soon. I doubt Rogers will try to save me, if recent experience with their retentions has taught me anything.

Comments:

Review by franklyong See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Okay if you can mind the cap, and speed upgrades yearly"
Bad "Prices due to overage"
Overall "If you want almost worry free service"

·WIND Mobile
-Congestion would affect you since you are limited to your local node / POI.
-Lite Package for 36.95 @ 60GB initially, but now 25GB -> 15GB
-Install went fine but put me on the Express tier instead of the Lite tier.
-Problems with overcharging on multiple occurences
-Terayon TCM200 -> SA Webstar DPX2100 -> SA Webstar DPC2100
-Throttling if you get affected it can be painful (Rogers denies nothing wrong with it)

Comments:

Review by arahman56 See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Reliable speed, little slowdowns"
Bad "Extremely low usage caps, high overage fees and traffic throttling make it a really horrible option value"
Overall "While the deals can make Rogers look like a good choice, stay away if you like to do anything even slightly bandwidth intensive"

-I had been a customer of Rogers since 2007, when I got a bundle with them (TV + Phone + Internet), so I am getting a $3.60 discount (the cost is the ($35.99 monthly price + $4 modem rental - $3.60 discount) + 13% Tax.-

So here's the thing: With Rogers, I can get a very reliable speed. With a 3mbit "Lite" plan, I have rarely, if ever, noticed any slowdowns, even at peak times.

However, this is all negated by the low usage caps. Rogers/Bell is probably the only company that had lowered the usage cap over time, while also increasing overage fees to truly ridiculous levels. The Lite plan was Unlimited at first, which was then brought down to 60GB, then down to 25GB + $2.50/GB overage, before going down finally to 15GB + $4/GB overage recently. I had been "lucky" to get in when the cap was 25GB. It might have worked earlier, but not anymore. The last few months had been really rocky ones, with me regularly going over. This has all culminated in me finally cancelling Rogers for Distributel (actually, I had been looking at Teksavvy, but they have a stop sell in my area, and the DSL service would requite dryloop fees. Boo...)

Anyone looking to get in now: FORGET IT. 15GB is useless for anything other than basic web surfing, even then, you might have to use Opera Turbo or other options depending on how much you surf. Even light YouTube usage can get you slammed with $4/GB overage fees.

[Just to put it in perspective: Internet usage costs almost nothing, bandwidth is the one that costs the most. Capping usage also doesn't help congestion, which is caused by too many people using the Internet at the same time (think rush hour traffic), not how much they used. Also, bandwidth is a non-limited resource. And the best part? Gas, which is a limited resource, costs $3/gallon.]

If you're looking for a good internet service, I would suggest looking at Teksavvy, Distributel, Acanac or ElectronicBox if you're in the GTA region. Check the forums for service availability, and check their plans for ones that would suit you. More often than not, they would be just as affordable, and you also don't have to worry about overages.

Comments:

Review by stephsm See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Good speeds, stable connection"
Bad "Terrible caps, terrible overage costs, slow DNS lookups, poor communication"
Overall "While the service itself is good overall, it's not worth the cost."

Update - about a week after the cancellation date, I got another final bill for Overage. This pisses me off for the simple fact that I never got any notifications via email or web browser, not to mention that they disabled the tracking on the billing page. While I do take responsibility for going over my overage, I will never go back to Rogers for this underhanded tactic and will make sure to steer friends, family and clients away from them.

I've had Rogers for the last 5 years as Bell was not available in my new location. Service itself has been stable and consistent over these 5 years and I've not had any complaints.

However, with the advent of streaming, Rogers is no longer a viable option. I had a 60GB limit which over the last 3-4 months I've exceeded, a couple of times hitting their max $50 overage a couple of times. While I did try to purchase a higher alotment by going up to the next tier, the order got cancelled and I didn't receive any communication from their office explaining why, nor could they explain why when I called. This couple with the fact that warnings about going over your usage are inconsistant, I decided to move to another provider, which I was successfully switched over to yesterday, and I'll write a review about that one later, once I've had a little more time to evaluate. But seeing as it's essentially the same connection, I'm expecting the same service, at a better cost, better bandwidth allowance, and less of the negatives.

As for the DNS in the negatives; I had been having problems downloading an huge update to a game on our PS3, and it would consistently fail. after doing some searches, it seems like the DNS lookup for Rogers is pretty poor as well. Switched it to Google's free DNS servers and wow, what a difference. Not only did the patch go through without a hitch on the first try (had tried several times previously), but I hadn't realize how much it affected web pages browsing; I had always figured that the sites hosted the pages were just slow, so letting them take a 10 -15 seconds to load up was fine by me...same sites using the new DNS servers and bam, up almost immediately after clicking go...

Cheers!

Steph S.

Comments:

Review by Ian See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Nothing good about Rogers"
Bad "High Latency in evening."
Overall "If something else is available to you, anything at all, short of dial-up, get it."

In a situation where I have to use the Rogers service. Wish that wasn't the case.

member for 12.2 years, 5868 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by KillerNIC See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Caps, Throttling, Poor Customer Service, rude customer service, arrogance."
Overall "Extreme Plus is a joke."

Rogers Positives:

- Connection is stable, usually.
- Can't think of anything else

Rogers Negatives:
-Rude CSR's
-Lying CSR's
-Expensive
-Throttling
-Low bit caps
-Crappy hardware

member for 11.5 years, 1631 visits, last login: 331 days ago

Comments:

Review by MJB See Profile

Good "Web Surfing"
Bad "Throttling, UBB, DNS Redirects"
Overall "Worst ISP in Canada"

·VMedia
·ACN DSL
Rogers is a piece of crap

Comments:

Review by thebaron See Profile

• Location: Stittsville,ON
Good "I can browse wikipedia really fast!"
Bad "Low caps, throttling, stalls, no video streaming"
Overall "Can't wait for someone else to come along, then it's bye-bye!"

If you plan on doing anything other than browsing, forget it. Netflix, torrents, wow etc are awful.

member for 10.7 years, 4792 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by brian10161 See Profile

Good "Fast and reliable."
Bad "Low bandwidth caps, shat upload speeds, expensive for what you get."
Overall "For light browsing, email and odd youtube browsing it's fine, but for people who like to download or stream, go somewhere else."

I have been on Rogers now for approximately 6 or so years, maybe longer. Have upped my speed profile 2 times. Started on Ultra light, then moved to Lite and now on Express.

My bandwidth cap has been steadily dropping over the years. Was unlimited, then went to 75gb and now sitting at 60gb which I go over almost every month. My brother plays online games so that doesn't help, especially when the update for his favorite game is 4gb!

Switching to something else and hopefully won't have to come back