Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by Sorrows3 See Profile

Good "No caps"
Bad "un-reliable, high latency and fluctuates a lot, slow network performance"
Overall "Don't get it if you live north of Scarborough or old Shaw area"

Got this from SHAW communications back in the days, was working pretty good until Rogers took it over and performance started to degrade. High latency and slow. Had a lot of packet lost. Called almost every other day, techs came, did nothing that helped. Due to financial problems I decided to switch to Rogers Lite afterwards (summer 2002) since I could not get DSL. Switching it to Lite was even worst. Even a 56k dial up will out perform it. But anyways I'm glad I left it finally as soon as I heard DSL is available (March 2003)

member for 11.6 years, 70 visits, last login: 10.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by kelv See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "how"
Bad "do"
Overall "i"

delete this

Comments:

Review by jmacd27 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Reliable connection and speeds over 1500"
Bad "Wish it was cheaper"
Overall "Very happy with service so far"

The long time from order to success was mainly due to the Christmas and New Years holidays last year. I'm sure that this is their worst time to get installs. But all went as scheduled. I have had Rogers over a year now and I am very happy.

I've had my connection now for well over a year now and service has been good and reliable. My speeds have always been around 1500 down and 480 up.

member for 13.5 years, 5759 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by DR0NE6 See Profile

• Location: Toronto, CAN
Good "Sometimes really good speed,"
Bad "Need to be cable ready, speeds sometimes vary, dumb techies."
Overall "Adequate for high-speed searching individuals - still better than DSL in area"

I had order my high-speed internet service from Rogers@Home about 6 months after they had released it, (1997 I think) when it was called "THE WAVE"...

Unfortunately, my area wasn't "Cable Modem Ready". I had called them regarding this issue and they said that our area would be ready in about 6 months. I was happy with this because I was expecting longer and being able to get off of a 56k connection was worth the extra wait. I was wrong.

I had complained after waiting about a year and they had said that they'll give us a free month for every month past January 1999 that we aren't able to receive their service. Since it was the middle of 1998, that didn't impress me very much since that means I might have to wait even after January 1999.

Meanwhile, a friend who lived just up the street from me (he actually lived at the top of my 2 block street) got his cable modem around this time. To me, that didn't make any sense, but I had to live with it.

When my LANCity cable modem finally came in June 1999, I knew I was receiving 6 free months of high-speed service and was ecstatic when it came. So the guy had to drill a hole in my computer room wall to add a cable outlet but while he did this, he put the drill through on an angle and ended up coming out of the side of our wooden window. Horrible drill job. Then when he was securing the cable along the side of our house, he managed to put a screw through our TV's cable line. He took the screw out and merely filled the hole with some silicon. Ergh...

Finally, I had my high-speed internet, and at the time, it was reliable, fast and I was happy. But of course, there were times where the service would just die and be out for 6 hours and there would be no mention of a service outtage on their tech support line and they would go through their troubleshooting procedure with me even though I told them I've gone through it already. And about 4 hours later it would come back on. Earlier this year our connection became so bad that we hadn't had solid service for more than 30 minutes so they had to send a technician who brought along a new Terayon modem and since then, I haven't had any horrible connection problems.

Even though I've outlined most of the bad things in this review, Rogers@Home has superior speed over the DSL in my area (Sympatico) and generally I get an average speed of about 60-80KB/s, but I've seen speeds of 300KB/s from some places, which I'm just fine with. It's better than the 5KB/s I'd be getting with 56k and the typical 30-60KB/s I've seen with SympaticoHSE (DSL) in my area.

The bottom line is, Rogers is good for people who are looking for an upgrade from their 56k connection. If you are someone who is looking for more reliability go with DSL but don't buy into that "dedicated line with security" crap they say you'll get with SympaticoHSE because we all know that somewhere, those "dedicated lines" will connect to a central point.

member for 12.4 years, 340 visits, last login: 10.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by JHeuer See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Finally stable!"
Bad "Horrible tech support; track record for customer service"
Overall "When they have a monopoly... they're the best cable service around."

My biggest beef with the way Rogers has handled my service is the number of domain changes they've gone through:

rogers.wave.on.ca
home.com
rogers.com

I've had to change business cards multiple times until I finally learned to get my own domain name, etc.

As far as reliability, they've certainly gotten better. I used to have down times nightly, whereas now it's once in a blue moon, and generally very brief. Perfectly acceptable.

If you require tech support, be patient. These goons know nothing, and assume you don't either. If you even hint at having a router, hub, ICS... they won't give you the time of day, and will pretty much hang up on you.

member for 11.6 years, 362 visits, last login: 4.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by CoolAcid3 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "If you get a good tech, your set. Rogers will do anything to keep your account"
Bad "Ping times suck! Tickets take forever! Routing Sucks!"
Overall "DSL -> Download/Upload limits. Cable -> None. If they fix ping times. Cable will be good."

I was a install/service tech for a year and a half. Not bad, but like my comments say. Good, and Bad.. Hard to deside. If DSL didn't have Limits, i'd be using DSL right now!

Comments:

Review by Jan1$ See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Great Speed, reliable service, excellent tech support"
Bad "none"
Overall "A great value for your money, Get a docsis modem, though."
(ratings well above consensus)

I ordered Rogers Hi-Speed regular and it was installed 2 days later. No problems whatsoever. Dynamic IP (NO PPPOE) YAY! Everything went very smoothly. I received a Docsis Toshiba modem. It is awesome. Great ISP!

member for 11.7 years, 18 visits, last login: 11.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by apvm See Profile

• Location: London, ON
Good "None"
Bad "Slow, very high packet loss"
Overall "Don't get it"

I originally signed up with Shaw about two years ago, the service was good then, lighting fast, Age of Empire, Diablo were a delight to play online but not long ago, Shaw sold the area to Rogers and the service started to degrade and since last November, the high packet loss horror came and since then with numerous call to their tech support and numerous ticket issued, the situation seems getting worse, it is now almost two in the morning, my connection is like 56k, I ordered DSL and so I am not going to call tech support anymore since they treated you like someone who can't tell from a computer chip from a potato chip, anyway this is not the worst, the reason that I finally decided to switch over to DSL was because one of the Rogers tech support told me "Rogers only provide the service but don't ganrantee it" I think I would be a fool to pay them 50 dollars (44.95 plus tax) a month and wait for them to fix the problem which I don't think they are fixing.

Bottom line is if you get good connection, stay with it since they have a pretty good news server but once the connection degrade, don't wait for them to fix it for Rogers never care for their customers, they only care for your money.

Finally called in today to cancel the service, they had me to talk to one of their senior staff and he was trying to keep me, offering me one free month of access but when I asked him for a Docsis, he told me my problem was not modem related (now Rogers finally admit there is a problem while their tech keep insisting it was my end, my equipment etc etc, fyi, my problem is gone once switched to DSL so I suppose it was not my equipment) He also told me there is new technology coming and everyone will be switching to that (Docsis maybe?), I sense a price increase or cap or whatever coming, big companies like Rogers don't hand out free lunch. I miss Shaw, their service is far superior than Rogers and to be honest if my service is not degraded to such a mess, I'll still use cable internet. Bottom line is same, if you service is still fast, keep it otherwise shop around. Good luck!

Comments:

Review by Kr0m See Profile

• Location: Fredericton,NB
Good "300KB/s download, 7 Email accounts, 10MB of webspace/account"
Bad "Upload is around 50KB/s, Terrible for gaming, especially Quake 3. Bandwidth caps are rumoured to start sometime."
Overall "New in this area, hopefully it will improve."

»/dsl_diary/other/228391 will explain some ping times.

They were very eager to get me hooked up. Cable technician replaced all the cable in the house for my connection since the original cable was old. Tech support were very helpful with a connection problem even though to find out it was my PC that was causing the problem.
Download speeds are roughly 300-400KB/s (they use a http cache server)
Upload speeds are 40-45KB/s
7 email accounts, 10 MB webspace per account.
News and mail servers seem to be fast.

I have only been with Rogers for a month now. They had a promotion for new subscribers. It's $19.95 /mnth for 4 months, then the price goes to $44.95, incl. modem rental.
I play Quake 3 and during the day the ping results to quake servers aren't near as good as my old ISP (NBTel). The ping times are even worse during the evening lately.

Rogers pretty much just started up here in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada.(about a month ago). So any lag issues I've been experiencing alot, hopefully will get better. From the link I posted, it seems like the problems stem from server outside of NB. I know if it isn't cleared up by the time the promotion is over. I'll be going back to my old ISP. Things weren't the best there either, but for now, NBTel is better than Rogers.

********************************************

-=Update=-

I just cancelled Rogers today and went back to NBTel/Aliant's aDSL. We had over 5 weeks of performance issues and it still isn't fixed, even after 6 scheduled upgrades. Pings for gaming are much better now with my new ISP than it was before. I got tired of paying $44+ for Rogers which cut our bandwidth in half and raised the price, without notice, then on top of that, the service went down hill.
I still got 1 month's credit from them when I called to cancel, the only bright spot from Rogers as of late.

Comments:

Review by baracus2k7 See Profile

Good "none"
Bad "extremely slow speed for the money"
Overall "If you want hi-speed service get DSL"

I've had rogers for almost a year now...and im sick of it....i have the so called hi-speed lite....since $45 for regular cable is too much for me.....the speed is terible...now it costs $30/mth for 128k down and 64k up....for $30 you can get 1MB dsl and just buy your own modem....soon they will do everything that sympatico does......sympatico is 1mb and rogers is 1.5.....eventually it will drop to 1mb......sympatico has a 5gb limit.....rogers will as well this sumer and like 2gb for lite....this is bs....eventually rogers will get replaced....speeds in downtown are like 500k sometimes....thats 33% of what it should be....sometimes....its unbearable....at my friends house he has regular cable....sometimes...it downloads at 56k speeds...im not joking....thats how slow it is.....once it was so damn bad we couldnt even use it at all....like less than 1k downloads.....im sick and tired of this

member for 11.9 years, 24 visits, last login: 11.3 years ago