Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by sheepishSCOT See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Works and when it doen't they seem to fix things pronto"
Bad "Packet loss of late"
Overall "Like it"

I hvae been a Roger sub for a number of years. Never seem to have trouble (never used their mail though). In the past few weeks have had issues with speed and packet loss. Called them and dang they knew how to fix it! Didn't get it right the first time but responded fast and fix me up pronto.

I live in North Mississauga... Lancity sucks, DOCSIS rocks

member for 11.8 years, 429 visits, last login: 5.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by Brano See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Almost 100% up-time, quite reliable."
Bad "Speed limitations, caps announced from January 2003"
Overall "Quite OK, could be better especially speeds for $45/month"

·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
Used to be very good ISP, but recently I can see speed decreases and data transfer caps are announced from January 2003 which I believe is not fair since they changing contract terms "on the fly" and they anyway limit your bandwidth so I see no reason for caps! The other thing which I don't like is the half duplex and that they don't allow to run servers :-(

member for 12.2 years, 7413 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by quakes7 See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Stable Connection, Low Ping Latency, No Bandwidth Restrictions"
Bad "Bandwidth Capped at 150KBytes / 1.17Mbps"
Overall "A decent service, offers a lot more than local DSL Provider"

Rogers Hi-Speed (Formally Rogers@Home) has been a pretty decent ISP when they care and it suits their needs.

Some of the high points of the service is their ability to provide reliable equipment and computer technical support for their users, and to keep their systems running. Offering 7 E-mail Addresses, and 10MB of Webspace Per Address (300MB/monthly transfer), providing the end users with a whopping 70MB worth of storage.

Some of their downfalls however come when they preform maintenance. Two summers ago they had brought down their entire High Speed network for my neighbour hood for approximately one month while they worked in different areas trying to better improve service. Since I still had a partial connection (about 30 seconds a day), they refused to credit my account for my downtime since I did have a connection. Not to go into the time when they left my cable line on the ground in neighbours trees and lawns because the ground was hard (When it is 80+ degrees for a few months, the ground was pretty well thawed all the way through).

Needless to say that they have not been the most reliable and favorable ISP, but in my new house, the cable connection is absolutely great, and the only reason they are still in business is because they have a market share and the best connection around, even though they have reduced their network bandwidth from about 5Mbps to 1.17Mbps. Their ability to have additional IPs (5), E-mails (7), Unlimited Bandwidth Transfer, Webspace (70MB / 300MB Transfer) makes them one of the best in the Toronto area -- Although they still have quite a bit of work cut out for them

Comments:

Review by xRAGEx See Profile

• Location: Stoney Creek,ON
Good "Faster upstream than Bell Sympatico."
Bad "Speed was cut in half about 6 moths ago."
Overall "Not too good IMO, but you don't have much choice here in T.O"

Well, my experience with them began about 2 years ago... blazing speeds back then, but it seemed to get slower and less consistent as time went by. Overall, I guess it's pretty good, considering the alternative (Bell Sympatico), which IMO is terrible, it was for me anyway...

member for 12.5 years, 806 visits, last login: 7.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by cab1eguy3 See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "it works all the time"
Bad "it's ROGERS CABLE LIGHT it is not much better than 56k"
Overall "it sucks"

"Rogers high speed light" the term is WRONG

It's not high speed it is slow !!! 12.8KB is slow

I used top get speeds of 100KB and higher with Rogers high speed,so what kinda term is that ?

It should be called Rogers light cable not "high speed light"

I could understand if u/l d/l was at least 40KB then it could justify the term "high speed light" but this is a little pathetic come on !

Comments:

Review by jagaij See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Good Speed"
Bad "Bad during transition from @home"
Overall "Cable is superior"

I have been with Rogers Hispeed Internet for more than 4 years and I think they are the best deal around.

For $40 CAD a month what else can you ask for. There is no CAP and it is close to the speed of T1 and 50 times cheaper.

I am not a complainer and somebody has to give credit where it is due.

I live in Ottawa, Ontario

Comments:

Review by gellehsak See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "cant think of any"
Bad "massive packet loss, interupts, slowdowns, cable cap dl/ul speed cut in half, lieing techs... list goes on"
Overall "horrible and nothing to do about it"

at first, when i first got cable it was great. everything loaded up to my standards, the latency was steady, and i got just about no ploss at all times. then as time passes by, i notice how my cable likes to go out quite a bit on its own.... i figured it must be the @home techies just doin stuff to the system, and it would be up soon (which it usually was). more time goes by, and this is where the trouble starts. before, i could dl 300kb/s. now its around 125-140kb/s. my upload decreased from 45kb/s to 15kb/s too. i figured they must have decreased the caps, since it would never go above those numbers. this made me mad, because i was never notified of this at any time. the next thing that really bothers me is how much packet loss i get now. i can barely play any FPS games online, because i just chop up and cant really move. i decided to ask some fellow gamers with @home and see what their takes were on this. apparently they were all getting the same/similar problems, where the packetloss would just lag their game beyond belief. i got to talk to another gamer again, and he was fine. apparently, he was put on some network with a new system integrated using fibre optics. this only applies to certain areas. what pisses me off about THIS is that they only put a select few customers on this system, for the same price, while leaving others out to lag. basically, its a crap isp and if i could id change. but theres nothing to change to ;(

Comments:

Review by TigerWoLF5 See Profile

• Location: G1Q 1Q9
Good "Availability Throughout All Of Toronto"
Bad "Down\Up = BAD - Tech Support = BAD - DHCP problems"
Overall "Not worth the money, nor the time"

Rogers@Home used to be great until one day they started capping us from 2500/512 to 1500/190 (approx). The price remained the same, the serviced is crappy and i've been looking for isp i could switch to... Sympatico isnt good, cogeco not available, so its rogers or back to dial-up. Hopefully they'll do something about the speed etc.. On their webpage, before they started capping us, speeds would be posted beside the monthly cost. Now, all they post there is that its a great service for 40$CND. I called their TechSupport so many times to complain that i know their damn number by heart and i've been thinking in putting it into speed dial damnit... When I noticed the dramatic speed drops, I called and they made me do an "image" test and said everything was alright. I asked them if they knew anything about rogers capping their users they said no but somehow, I knew about it. Were they lying or are the people working there incompetent? Right now I'm at my sister's and she's got Videotron cable. Great download bad upload. 3000 down\128 up. Anyway its better than having a crap upload and download.

Comments:

Review by Mackentack See Profile

Good "Good price, better than having dial up, speed is fine."
Bad "uploading is TERRIBLE."

I recently got rogers highspeed lite cable, everything was ok at first then one day when I tried to upload somthing to one of my accounts it was uploading at about 600 bytes per second and it would usually stop then disconnect. I thought it was the account that I was using but I tried all of my other 5 web accounts (all different hosts) and the results were all the same, (all slow). On WinMx, people were downloading from me at around 0.45kb\second. Also, When I try to send files to people it sends about 10 kb of the file then disconnects 99% of the time. You've got to be lucky to send files. This is a big problem for me since I transfer files a lot to update my website and send important files to people.

Despite all that, the downloading speed was ok and never slowed down. For me it has never disconnected but I just wish the uploading speed would improve.

member for 12 years, 5 visits, last login: 12 years ago

Comments:

Review by minion2112 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "amazing speeds in my area,"
Bad "so this time, how long will tech support put me on hold? hmm..."
Overall "depending on you area, u will get different results, but so far, i am flying.."

i just switched from sympatico to rogers about 4 weeks ago. thanks to sympatico and their boardband caps, its hell to run an IIS or FTP. anyways, so far with rogers i have had some great speeds, constantly. which i know is surprise. the only problem i had was when i the tech guy came in he didnt switch the modem "terminal" or something, thats what the tech-support guy told me after putting me on hold for about 45 mins or so.after that incident. after another 5 days or so, i was up and running, and since then i have had only 4 hours of down time or more.

With the installation i got the Terayon cable modem, a LinkSys NIC, cat 5 cable, and a nice looking rogers high speed box...lol. the only thing worth looking at when the tv and internet arent working.