Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by Stetson$ See Profile

• Location: The Hiway
Good "It's There when you need it"
Bad "Have put a cap on it..slowed it quite a bit..I find Rogers stating a totally different pacakge than they actually offer"
Overall "It's the only game in town..If someone else started one...I would almost immediately Leave Rogers."

Rogers is a large company..offering alot more than they actually provide..The monthly price is adequate...the speed is medium..the install i did myself..the modem is terayon..I find they do not care about the consumer..as much as the consumers money..Stet

member for 13.6 years, 684 visits, last login: 11.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by sonicool See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "no PROS"
Bad "unreliable, always down, cap speed , unstable"
Overall "(-_-) umm... transfer cap is not good"

I cannot find any PROs as a roger user. If they are not going to implement the transfer cap, then that's a big PRO. As a result, I am going to stay with ROGERS!

Good Luck! Enjoy your HI SPEED internet(-I guess you are not with rogers!)

member for 12.6 years, 91 visits, last login: 10.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by dady See Profile

• Location: Oshawa,ON

First they sucked.
Then I got a new modem.
And now they are good.

member for 13.4 years, 974 visits, last login: 3.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by Ir0nLung See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "decent pings on net games"
Bad "reduced speed 1/2 an price went up"
Overall "was good, but just not worth it anymore"

Nothing much to say, back with Shaw it was amazing for the money and the more customers it got the service and speed went down the drain... Went from 10/1 to 3/300 and now to 1.5/190. The only thing left to do is put in BW caps, and its BYE-BYE rogers!! Still better then Sympatico, cant argue that...

member for 12.7 years, 40 visits, last login: 12.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by waxmuseum See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "i sit in frount of this box less"
Bad "its never online"
Overall "i would never sign up with them again"

first off i have the digital cable package with the cable internet included thats why it is so cheep ..

i just ordered rogers at the beginning of the month since then i have had nothing but problems

first off the guy that installed my line and modem didnt actually check if the modem worked..i got a dud none the less.

so i waited 4 days for them to send a guy with a new modem that modem works...

now since that last guy came her i have been booted off about every 20 minutes...and from 7-11pm, midnight - 11am and all threw the day.

when i have called the service people they told me that it was because the router had a problem, there is to much voltage going threw there lines, its the weather, its my computer, its my modem....its never ending the excuses they make up.

so anyway i was suposed to have a service guy come checkmy lines 3 days ago ..he never showed up after i sat around for 3 hrs waiting for him ....now they want to send another guy around in 3 days.

point blank im sick to living hell of rogers...i was on sympatico befor and will probably go back even withthere rediculous caps.

member for 12.7 years, 23 visits, last login: 12.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by Kabdel See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Decent speeds, decent price, unlimited"
Bad "Foolish tech support, speeds can be inconsistent, bit caps are coming, speeds have just been cut in half with price increase"
Overall "If its between rogers and bell, go for rogers, if you have other options go for those."

I got Rogers in september 2001 with some promotional deal for the first 6 months. The installation took 10 minutes , i recieved a terayon terapro modem and i was surfing in no time... The speeds were amazing. I was always getting over 2000 kbps/385 down at any time of the day... Then in December all of a sudden my download speed were cut in half... What ever i did, and whatever time it was, i couldn't get over 1200/385 kbps... The stupid person that i was, i assumed it was my router causing problems. I tried everything. I reinstalled my operating system, i played around with the settings, i tried tweaking my internet connection, pretty much everything... So these speeds went on till about April... Where i started wondering what the hell was going on again... So i unplugged my modem, took the wires out, and put the wires back in... My speeds jumped to 2500 kbps for about 5 minutes, and then they leveled off at 1200 kbps... So then i thought my modem was broken, or my router was the problem... For this month i started getting speeds of around 600 kbps... So i e-mailed rogers and sent them a whole bunch of speed tests, line quality test, traces etc... Rogers said they would send someone to fix my problem... The guy checked my levels on my modem and found they were very bad. He said the problem was the green box in front of my house, and said a maintence crew would come by and fix the problem in 2 days. 2 days go by, a week goes by, no maintence crew. I call rogers, and they tell me, there is no maintence crew coming and no work is planned, and only a guy will come by to bury a wire that the technician put before. The guy hasn't come by for the wire and its been months... Then my upload gets capped at 185 kbps, but my download remained the same at 1200 kbps... I talked to some people in my area, and they said they had the same problem... Those f*****s at rogers capped our downloads in december@ 1500kbps, and they made me go through all this s***, instead of just telling me i was capped. So anyways now, i ve just came to conclusion that rogers are crooks and completely dishonest, and if they implement bit-caps, along side there new speed cap, and 5 dollar increase, i will cancel.

Sorry for the rant... Overall I didn't have many disconnection problems, maybe only once of twice for a few hours... The download speeds nowadays are always between 900 kbps and 1250 kbps and the upload speed is around 170-185 kbps.... Its a decent speed, but you can easily get a more reliable and faster dsl service for the same price.... Like i said, if rogers implements a 5 gb bit cap, i am getting the hell out...

Comments:

Review by Aquillar See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Cable, reasonable speed"
Bad "ALot of talk and no show. Many rules. More to come"
Overall "Look elsewhere if your a net junkie."

I've had many problems with these guys. They have so many rules with what you can and can't do with the connection. No servers, no routers, noen of this, no doing that...bla bla bla. they want you to have 1 system and buy more ips at +$10 per month per IP. They give you 1 IP and 7 accounts. We're supposed to be setup dynamically, but the IPs are always the same, I've been on the service for over 3 years and my IP has changed 3 times. They say this and that but it's all talk. They claim, and I quote: 'Up to 1.5 Mbps Download and 192 Kbps upload' Multiple tests, including the one here show 399 Kbps downstream and 179 kbps upstream. Thats about 115 kb/s and definately 40 kb/s upload. They are definately caps, my transfer rates are always fixed on speeds like that. My modem has been replaced 3 times from problems. The price has gone up, and it's expected to get worse. Conenctions with a friend high up the corporate ladder at Rogers says that there will be a 5 GB bandwidth cap comming soon. I can do that in 12 hours, how will it last for a month? On top of everything, they do not allow servers. They do regular port scanning to find servers. I am fed up, and I am in the process of switching ISPs. You may think theres nothing out there available, but check »www.canadianisp.com/ you will be very supprised.

Comments:

Review by fredsnothere See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Fast"
Bad "out of service for at least 2 days a month"
Overall "The fastest out there but they have a monopoly"

I use both Sympatico HSE and Rogers. Sympatico is not as fast as Rogers but in the 1 1/2 years that I've had the service it has never been down and the speeds are always consistant. In the past 20 days with Rogers, I've lost my connection for 4 days. Rogers definately has the speed but the reliability has a lot to be desired. Their tech support people are rude. It usually only 1 out of 4 technicians you get actually helps you and doesn't give you attitude. I'm going to get rid of one of the services so I think its going to be Rogers because of the lack of reliability, poor tech support, and also because they charge me an extra $10/month because I'm not a cable TV subscriber.

member for 12.9 years, 134 visits, last login: 9.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by The Fukkmoe See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Better then Bell Sympatico in some ways."
Bad "Worst then Bell Sympatico in some ways."
Overall "Better then Dial-up"

First of all, I must say I do hate how 99% of all ISPs do not tell you the speed of their connecton on their websites. (most just say "many times faster then 28.8" or something stupid)

Okay, I have had Rogers for a very long time.

It's more or less 3.5Mbit download and 384Kbit upload.

It all started with "Yo dad, give me money so I can get cable internet", so I called them up, the setup and ordering was easy and fast, no problems there.

However, I got my modem and my printout of my DHCP info and stuff like that, set it all up.

Nothing, the DHCP server was not giving me an I.P. So I called them up, he said "give it a few days". I waited and called back, know what it was?! Their old dot matrix printer cut a number from the DHCP I.D number! (they use DHCP setup to give you a static I.P, so it's -sort of static)

So it was working fine, kick ass speeds from 200-350KB/sec at any time of day.

Then... the problems. About once every 2 weeks my cable would just die, I'd call them up and wait on hold for 5min to an HOUR! for someone to just tell me to restart my modem. heh

So I'd just restart the modem without calling them, but it started doing it a lot more often, so I called them up.

The guy said "I do not see a problem, 50ms ping time 0% loss", so I started making small talk about the modem or something, when he said "WOW! I think I see the problem" he told me that the ping time jumped to 500-1000ms and the loss hit 50%. I told him that there was a problem, he told me they would send a guy out A.S.A.P.... So... 4 days later a guy comes and takes one look at my modem and say "My god! How long have you been with us?" I said about a month, he said "How did you get the old modem?"... I told him that is what I got... he said they stopped using the old Terayon's a long time a go and he pulled out a new Taryon, installed it and the problem was gone.

Then... the speed started dropping. It was not too bad, 100-200KB/sec..then 50-100KB/sec... then 20...

After 4 or 5 phone calls and 2 visits from the cable guy. They gave me a 3rd modem and said they would fix the line right away.

4 or 5 more calls later... "We are working on the problem" I asked why it is taking so long (over 2 weeks) he did not give me a good reason, so I went back to waiting.

Then! one day it was fixed, 75-200KB/sec download speeds.

I can live with that, they did however, change my I.P once when their DHCP server died and took out half the cities cable modems for a day.

The upload has been 50KB/sec all the time.

Now it works fine, once every 60 days or so I need to restart the modem, but that is about it.

In the end, I'd still take it over Bell Sympatico (I have it at my mothers and it's -okay-, but that is another post)

E-mail me with questions, ect. Fukkmoe@hotmail.com

------------------------------------------------------------
And just say "no" to PPPoE.

Comments:

Review by north_east_ See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Amazing Speeds, Always On, Almost never down, Very nice tech support"
Bad "When down very very slow or doesnt work at all"
Overall "Get it if its avalibile in your area!"

I USED to have Rogers. I am planning on getting Rogers Lite. Speed is 128 k but its an always on connection and doesnt require second phone line! Its almost like ISDN but has MANY more advantages!