Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by dslisdead See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "i feel sorry for AOL users who pay 2 times less but get 50 times less"
Bad "DNS servers sometimes suck / no static IP"
Overall "well spent $40"

the service's been good since the begining (7 months). all is installed for free and u don't pay for the first month (that might've changed since). the down part was when the installation guy came over with his girlfriend and installed everything whithout asking a single question about my prefferences. when i said that i have a NIC in the PC, the guy decided to keep the NIC that he was supposed to give me anyway according to the agreement (i wander if he toke it back to the office). also when a have questions and try to call tech support, it takes almost 1h and i usually give up (it's about the same with all of the providers i've seen). another problem is my DNS. it's rather slow but the ppl in tech sup don't seem warried. i'd appreciate if anyone could give me a fast DNS for toronto area.

member for 12.9 years, 18 visits, last login: 10.8 years ago

Comments:

• Location: New York,New York,NY

In a word the service is POOR. I recently waited for a new modem for
over 10 days; I finally went and got it and installed it myself!! As of
late the connectivity issue has been not to bad, but in the recent past
I was getting "Bounced" off line quite regularly. I have NEVER seen
download speeds as mentioned in here!!?? A DL speed of 60 to 80 BPS is
normal for me. If I had an option in my area I opt for it in a
heartbeat. Cheers terry J. Lynch , Dartmouth Nova Scotia

member for 44.6 years, visits, last login: 44.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by amanbirdi See Profile

• Location: Toronto, ON
Good "always gives consistent download\upload speeds. always around 2000kbps (download) and 375kbps (upload)"
Bad "at times maybe once or twice a day i lose the connection but not for long probably around 2-3 min"
Overall "Its better than having a dial up connection."

Rogers@Home kinda rocks.

member for 12.6 years, 142 visits, last login: 11.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by Spazmogen See Profile

• Location: Woodstock,ON
Good "Mail and News Worked OK."
Bad "34 modem resets in 3 weeks ! Not a stable service. Poor tech support"
Overall "Debating between Rogers & Sympatico? Get Sympatico."

Very poor quality over all.

Comments:

Review by lewislewis See Profile

• Location: uk
Good "LOw cost for six months, better than previous adsl"
Bad "Minor, Rogers is changing from excite@home to rogers@home with minor problems"
Overall "Truely hi speed, better than adsl and good good value"

Due to rogers changing their business there are understanable delays in their help line, but they should get more helpers. That's what help means.

Comments:

Review by firecat39 See Profile

• Location: N2L1W
Good "Very fast, connection really good"
Bad "Wasn't told pre-install that permission from landlord was required"
Overall "very very happy"

Haven't had any problems so far, and the connection is fast. Installation was a hassle due to Roger's not informing me that permission was required from the landlord before install, which was a hassle. I don't use Roger's email or net services, so rating on those probably isn't accurate. I haven't had to call tech support (cross fingers), so rating there is also probably inaccurate. Overall, very happy with the service.

Over the month we've had it, we had one service outage, but it was a problem with all cable in our neighbourhood, and it was fixed within 2 hours.

member for 12.7 years, 24 visits, last login: 11.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by gemino See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "The easiest of all to install and get working right off the bat."
Bad "Very bad backbone used, getting scanned by old virus machines every second."
Overall "I switched to xDSL just like that :)"

It was the greatest thing the first time I ordered and had it installed. Much faster than the 56k modem I'd been using for quite some time. Web surfing, emails and news all worked as expected with minimal problems. There are a few downtimes, but limited to about once every 3 months. The IP gets changed about twice a year.

THEN came the CodeRed, then came the problems. @Home was hit bad and Rogers@Home can't handle all the infected machine on their network. They have machines that scaned the network so bad that the routers got brought down.

I live in the Richmond Hill area in Ontario (less than half an hour drive from downtown TO on DVP/404), and the network over here was so bad, I got disconnected from the web altogether at least twice a day. It is crazy to have such a big company that cannot fix a common problem that's almost six months old. Others trying to blame it on something else, saying it cannot all be @Home, but I had it with them and switch to Bell Sympatico.

The disconnection of @Home was quick, but the weirdest thing they will asked. I already told them I wanted to cancel my Rogers@Home connection, they had this idea that people would want to cancel the TV cable as well? Plus, they said they had to come and disconnect the extra cable line that was installed when I order the @Home crap, else I'll have to pay an extra $60/month fee!! HELLO!! That was part of the FREE installation they advertise when I order @Home, if that installation was conditioned in anyway, and have me paying a fee at the time of cancellation, then it ain't FREE at all!!!!

member for 12.7 years, 772 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by sebzag See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Really fast, quite reliable, still supports static IP"
Bad "Connection goes down sometimes every few months"
Overall "Probably the best cable modem service in Ontario"

Rogers@Home cable modem service is very good in the long run. Though they had many problems long ago, the service has shaped up quite nicely.

Comments:

Review by m0nde See Profile

• Location: York,ON
Good "decent speed if you use tweaks"
Bad "some outages"
Overall "decent value for money, but don't depend on the tech support"

I ordered this service as soon as I saw ads for it on TV. I was told that service would be offered in my area within the next month or two. I finally received service after 1 year with 6 months free because Rogers had a policy of giving one month free for each month where service was not available.

Comments:

Review by pbennison See Profile

• Location: 613
Good "I've only had to call tech support once. Speed is greater than advertised"
Bad "First line technical support is poor."
Overall "They're okay. Like you have much of a choice for cable providers, anyway!"

I ordered the residential high speed cable service (no speed guarantees) but I'm consistently able to get in excess of 1500/300 kbps. I'm in a new subdivision in an urban area, so this may change if more subscribers come online, of course. I've been with Rogers since early March, 2001

I previously had DSL. No complaints, except for PPPoE/VPN problems. With cable, I had no problems connecting to my corporate network. I switched to cable because DSL was not available in my (urban!) area.

I've had only two outages for less than 1/2 day.

The install process was silly. I told them I didn't want anybody touching my computer (why pay $100). When the cable guy showed up, he did my wiring and I read the manual. Had it working in 1/2 hour after flipping through the user manual. I didn't bother using their crappy connection software. It makes very severe assumptions about your computer's name for authentication. Not very good if you already have a laptop, say, from work which already has network settings. Instead, I use a NAT device to handle the log in. Highly recommend doing this as it minimised the amount of friggin' around you have to do on your own machine, not to mention the security aspects.

The only contact with tech support was a bad experience. They changed my computer name in their authorisation tables, but didn't tell me (I suppose their connection software handles this sort of thing). Next time I get an outage, I'll know what to ask and be on my way.

All in all, they provide what I pay them for. No more. No less.

member for 13.8 years, 39 visits, last login: 11.7 years ago