Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by boomguy See Profile

• Location: Pickering,ON
Good "speed, always on"
Bad "newsgroups, sporadic mail servers right now"
Overall "highly recommend"

I was with Shaw in Pickering when cable first arrived. Shaw service was great.
Then Rogers took over, and service declined.
With the closure of @home, I decided to try Sympatico, since I didn't think Rogers was capable of handling the needs of their customers.
I tried Sympatico for 2 months, and came back to Rogers. In Pickering, at least for me, Rogers is the way to go.
Since I've come back to Rogers, service has never been better. I'm now getting speeds of 300KB/sec on downloads.
I can't comment on tech support, since I've never had to call them.
Rogers still has their problems. Unable to provide a good news servers. That baffles me, since I'm using @home servers in Ontario and BC that are on the Rogers network still. Why don't they just purchase them from @home.
On a scale of 10, I'll rate them a 7.
I'll never go back to the phone line, whether it be high-speed line or just a dial-up.

Paul Collett
Pickering

member for 13.8 years, 75 visits, last login: 10.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by Heineken77 See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "NONE! -- Stay AWAY from Rogers!!!!!!!!!!"
Bad "Terrible speed - Terrible Reliability on Connection - No consistancy - Poor Customer Service"
Overall "Rogers@Home in Toronto is NOT where you want to be!"

BEFORE you get fooled by the good reviews by Rogers@Home customers ... note that many of them are jumping from Dial-Up ... obviously anything that comes through cable is usually much faster than Dial-Up ... but if you want to compare how good this service really is .. you have to look at how it ranks with OTHER cable providers ... and the experiences people have had using rogers who have been with them for a long time! Rogers does NOT even come close to what the overall standard is for cable ... in any area ...

Offer of 3000/400 ... best we've ever seen in 2 years has been 1300/350 ... this was not steady .. mabye only for an hour or two between 2:30am - 5am ... and not every night at this time would we be so lucky to get those speeds!

Terrible customer service. Connectivity is very unstable. Service does not interact well on a windows environment. Constant power cycling required. Had a tech come in and run a dedicated line for our modem. No improvement noted! Spent 15-20 calls/emails to tech support over that last 2 months, and absolutely nothing has been done. Our speed now is equal to that of a dial up 56k modem. They say they're having problems with their servers, however this has gone on for over 8 days!! This is absolutely unacceptable.

I am now leaving Rogers@Home to go with Telus.net here in Toronto for their 2500/650 package at $80/month .. if you can afford it, go for it! If not, go to Bell HSE and you'll have a much more enjoyable service than you could ever hope to get from Rogers@home ... Don't be taken in by them as myself and almost everyone I've spoken to who has ever dealt with Rogers!

Comments:

Review by Stewie6 See Profile

• Location: Newmarket
Good "Hi Speed, Reliability(so far....lol)"
Overall "good speed, if the connection stays reliable its great value"

I was a subscriber for 3yrs back with @home, i left due to the terrible record of reliability, the cust service was reasonably good(even when i was furious and screaming.......:) ), i went to Sympatico HSE last June, the reliabilty was better(AT FIRST!!!) but the speeds dropped severely, their cust service was terrible, arrogance abounds to the point of telling me i had NO right to complain my service stopped altogether, well after 1 1/2 months of them trying to get the HSE back up,(platform changes et al) they basically gave up and said it could not be done?????, went back to Rogers and so far(1 month) it is 100% better now that they have the @home albatross off their backs, speeds generally range from 1200-2200 (download) way better than the 200 and change that i was getting at Sympatico, i recommend to give Rogers a try esp with the 1/2 price deal for 5 months they have going now, and unless Bells "central office" is your neighbour i would hesitate to go that route until after at least giving rogers a try,.........good luck and happy surfing!!!!

member for 12.9 years, 222 visits, last login: 2.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by preetham0000 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Wicked download speed i get at like 230 kB/sec.....and i have a consistent connection"
Bad "well upload speed is too low...44 kB/sec..."
Overall "Rogers is the best..if u live in toronto rogers is the best choice......others have many tech probs"
(ratings well above consensus)

After using 3 years of dial up. I switched to rogers and it is great. People often complain about connection problems and not good tech support. I never faced any of those problems yet. If u have connection problems then it is ur location not becaz of rogers caz i know this form my friends experience. As for tech support ya sometimes i heard they can be sloppy..but i wont say anytin abt this caz i never needed any( hope i wont in the future). The new offer is really good and i am makin full use of it. About upload speed that is the only thing i hate.....IT STINKS..44 kB/sec wat?? i upload abt like 2 gigs a day..so upload speed is not satisfactory to me.....anyway thats abt rogers.......................now dslreports.com is cool website for info and tests.....thanz

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!1

member for 12.9 years, 14 visits, last login: 12.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by MaxBuF See Profile

• Location: Moncton,NB
Good "Speed, Stability.... awesome connection"
Bad "Tech Support"
Overall "If your in New Brunswick, Rogers is your best choice."
(ratings well above consensus)

After being a NBTEL Vibe customer for 18 months, I decided to switch to Rogers (who were just starting to offer cable internet here in New Brunswick) because of the reliability and the speed of Vibe which is slow. I got this deal that the connection is 20$ per month for 6 month (120$ credit) which was a better price than 42.95 for Vibe. The tech people came and hook me up, it took about 25 min to make it work since they didn't have a guide for Windows XP. When they left, I went to test it here on the west coast server and I was amazed, 1700 down/340 up, I never went that high with Vibe who the highest was 500/400. it's been about a month and it didn't went down once so the reliability is great.I don't know if it's gonna be like this forever but we'll have to see

If your in New Brunswick, IF rogers is available take it unless your vibe is good which I doubt mostly.

member for 12.9 years, 13 visits, last login: 12.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by dslisdead See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "i feel sorry for AOL users who pay 2 times less but get 50 times less"
Bad "DNS servers sometimes suck / no static IP"
Overall "well spent $40"

the service's been good since the begining (7 months). all is installed for free and u don't pay for the first month (that might've changed since). the down part was when the installation guy came over with his girlfriend and installed everything whithout asking a single question about my prefferences. when i said that i have a NIC in the PC, the guy decided to keep the NIC that he was supposed to give me anyway according to the agreement (i wander if he toke it back to the office). also when a have questions and try to call tech support, it takes almost 1h and i usually give up (it's about the same with all of the providers i've seen). another problem is my DNS. it's rather slow but the ppl in tech sup don't seem warried. i'd appreciate if anyone could give me a fast DNS for toronto area.

member for 13.3 years, 18 visits, last login: 11.2 years ago

Comments:

• Location: New York,New York,NY

In a word the service is POOR. I recently waited for a new modem for
over 10 days; I finally went and got it and installed it myself!! As of
late the connectivity issue has been not to bad, but in the recent past
I was getting "Bounced" off line quite regularly. I have NEVER seen
download speeds as mentioned in here!!?? A DL speed of 60 to 80 BPS is
normal for me. If I had an option in my area I opt for it in a
heartbeat. Cheers terry J. Lynch , Dartmouth Nova Scotia

member for 44.9 years, visits, last login: 44.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by amanbirdi See Profile

• Location: Toronto, ON
Good "always gives consistent download\upload speeds. always around 2000kbps (download) and 375kbps (upload)"
Bad "at times maybe once or twice a day i lose the connection but not for long probably around 2-3 min"
Overall "Its better than having a dial up connection."

Rogers@Home kinda rocks.

Comments:

Review by Spazmogen See Profile

• Location: Woodstock,ON
Good "Mail and News Worked OK."
Bad "34 modem resets in 3 weeks ! Not a stable service. Poor tech support"
Overall "Debating between Rogers & Sympatico? Get Sympatico."

Very poor quality over all.

Comments:

Review by lewislewis See Profile

• Location: uk
Good "LOw cost for six months, better than previous adsl"
Bad "Minor, Rogers is changing from excite@home to rogers@home with minor problems"
Overall "Truely hi speed, better than adsl and good good value"
(ratings well above consensus)

Due to rogers changing their business there are understanable delays in their help line, but they should get more helpers. That's what help means.