Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by jongpin See Profile

Good "No one's sharing my line, so throughoutput's max 5mbps!!!"
Bad "Annoying outages, tech support doesnt seem to get it"
Overall "If you're lucky enough that no one's sharing your line, you'll get up more than the advertised speed"

Note: Since the outages that I've experienced weeks ago are long gone, I've raised my raiting for connection reliability from 3 to 4 out of 5.

If you want really good Broadband, get cable...the only fast route to the net...

If only Rogers@Home would have the best cable service out there. I opted for cable on June since I was getting annoyed by the terrible service of free dial-up service that I've been using since January. Now that I have cable, here is my review.

I ordered the retail kit at a Future Shop so that I can get a certificate for my walkman. I called the Rogers@Home people to schedule an installation appointment; 6 days later a technician came. Since I was the only tech-savvy computer geek in the house, I watched the technician to see if there are any problems during installation. My cable modem was installed along with a USB adapter since my Ethernet card was broken, and it only took 45 minutes to do it all. After all that, I tested the bandwidth and the connection was smoking.

I downloaded some utilities to tweak the speed of the modem. It was running from 0.9mbps or 900kbps, and now it runs at a maximum 5mbps! Yes this internet connection is smoking. I know why-the cable switch outside my house only shares the connection for four residents, and only my household is using @Home, so no one's hogging up my connection. Believe me, without anyone sharing the line, its blazingly fast - up to 150% faster than a 28.8 modem!

Now for the service. Since June 30, I've been having the usual cable outages. The first time I've called the Rogers@Home people, they directed me into changing my WinME network settings. That worked for a little bit, then the outages became worse. From July, my connection disconnects during the afternoon at two times a week. At the end of July, it gets worse as the duration of the disconnections increase from three hours to seven hours of having no internet connection. I called Rogers@Home again and again, and they directed me to the same procedure of reconfiguring the netowrk connections. Since then I am now using Windows 2000 and the service has been getting worser and worser. The outages now happen every day.

There is always a cost for speed, and cable outages are one thing. I give kudos for Rogers@Home's intuitive and comprehensive service, as well as the speed, but not the cable connection outages. I've had one technicial visit my place to check the connections, and he came up with telling me that everything was fine. I had to wait until 7pm to get my cable connection back, since there was an outage. I've been having an outage in 5 consecutive days from 12pm to 7pm. Isnt that normal?

Anyways, if the service would be better, I'd stay with @Home after the 6 month contract ends. For now, the service is great but its annoying to have those outages.

member for 13.2 years, 51 visits, last login: 12.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by skutflut3 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Speed reasonable compared to modem"
Bad "Poor 1st tier Tech support, poor network redundancy"
Overall "Without a DSL option, this is the only game in town"

Rogers, at least in my area, has made some steady improvements in quality of service.

From Jan 12/01, the installation date, things were not good.

Speed was very poor, rarely better than the old modem. Suddenly on April 14, 01, somebody pulled to cork out of the bottle and the connection began working about 60% as fast as the advetising.... most of the time.

I installed the speedguide patch, after being advised by Rogers Tech support NOT TO, and added about 30% to the speed consistantly. Best D/L speeds are according to the Speedtest located at »msn.zdnet.com/partners/msn/bandw···edtest50. come out at 884kbps. No idea what the U/L speed is, but how really cares.

I have seen some other speed test numbers from other sites, but they seem to be wildly unpredictable and i cannot figure out what they are saying, so I contiue to use the msn.zdnet site as a bench mark.

I have seen lots of complaints in here about poor speeds and service from Rogers. I had the poor speed, talked to Tech support, went throught the motions they suggested, with probably the same results as everybody else.. no improvements.

When I called it to ask what had been done on April 14 to improve things so dramatically, tech support advise me that according to their records nothing was changed. I mentioned to them that my original IP address had changed to something different, and then they decided that something must have been changed at the network dept, but they could not say what, nor give me a number or a name to inquire further.

As far as email goes, Its as good as any of the other ISPs i have dealt with. They do have their downtime, just like the others.

Face it, crap happens. Their email servers are not immune to problems, just like all us Win 98 users are not immune to sudden lockups and crashes for no good reason. Hell, I have even mananged to crash and lock up Win2K pro workstations here at work a few times, for no apparant reason.

In my humble opinion, Rogers needs to add a redundant fiber path to their system so that a construction accident cutting their fiber does not dump the entire province of Ontario off the system for hours or days at a time. At a minimum, they should be offering a free dial up alternate connection to every subscriber as a backup to their Cable system which seems so poorly protected from damage, and lacks redundancy. I have noted that during these unplanned outages, there are no credits applied to my bills, unless i specifically phone and demand them. I think the free dial up account backup would go a long way to placating some of the customers who are ticked off by this somewhat highhanded attitude that Rogers displays, both in their internet offering as well as their cable tv system.

Comments:

Review by Brundle Fly See Profile

• Location: Barrie, ON
Good "...techies that actually try to help, and actually call you back, at home, and leave you messages, that's new to me..."
Bad "...techies that don't speak the same English that I do, get back on the freakin boat, or take a freakin night course!!!"
Overall "...Rogers@home smokes Stunnedpatico HSE, hands down, I'll never go back..."

...I got my @home installed while I wuz at work, an asked my wife to have the installer give me a call if he had any probs. I had already pulled my case off the tower, it wuz ready to go...

...I got a call at work, the guy doin the install tells me I already have a card(I knew that, that'z how I got connected to HSE, like duh), so I got a wee bit worried as to hiz knowledge...

...he then went on to tell me that the card Roger's supplied wuz crappola, an I should use my D-Link instead, the reason they let you keep thur card if you say no after 3 months is because it'z a boat anchor in the first place...

...my worries were put aside at that point, I appreciate honesty, an this guy wasna tryin to bullshit me...

...he then went on to tell me, that if, and when, I dumped Stunnedpatico, if they took my card back, to get a 3COM card, an that my speed would most likely increase...

...although it took almost 2 weeks to finally iron out all the bugz, an be up an runnin on cable, it wuz worth the wait...

...it took me 10 daze to get hooked up with the Stunnedpatico HSE, took my wife 2 months, and we're in the same house, so I ain't gonna slag Roger's for the wait, it'z typical...

...I'm lookin at dumpin my wife's HSE too, an kickin out the $9.95 for her hookup through my hub...

...so far, I'm very pleased with my Rogers@home, and the support they've offered...

..and the speed rocks, they claim 2meg+, here be whut I get :^)

»thedisorientedexpress.homestead.···peed.gif

member for 13.9 years, 126 visits, last login: 9.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by samuelpc0825 See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "always connect"
Bad "the speed is slow , somethimes it's only have 20kps"
Overall "can't think of any..........."

I don't understand why the connection speed is very slow.. I try to contact the adminstrator , but they answered that there's something with my computer..

Still, the connection speed is very slow..

Comments:

Review by Medic2238 See Profile

• Location: Okotoks,AB
Good "None, can't wait to move back to Alberta and get back my trusty Shaw@Work"
Bad "All."
Overall "STAY AWAY FROM THESE CLOWNS!"

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 07/20/01

My comments I made earlier are now coming true. Rogers is now part of a $75 Million Dollar Lawsuit filed by 5 people against Rogers@home for the lackluster service....Mine still sucks, I hate it but no DSL in my neck of the hood yet.....

Read it and weep folks, Rogers is going down and only getting worse!!!

Here is a copy of an e-mail I sent to them. Hopefully, you will avoid these clowns!

First off, let me express my extreme displeasure in dealing with all of you at Rogers. All of you are inconsistent on your "stories" you tell me each time I phone in, you lack serious technical skills at both the Help Desk levels and at the Network Center levels. You have no concern or care for the customer as long as you come out looking rosy on the other end. So let this be a lesson, you guys are by far the weakest Internet Provider anywhere in the world and all you have concern about is the money and not the customer.

This has been an ongoing issue and regardless of how many times I have placed a trouble call to your "Help Desk", the issue still stands unresolved DESPITE two visits from your friendly Rogers Technicians to "Test the Lines" and to replace the modem, but almost 3 months later, still no resolution.

This is not an issue of what software I have running; it is in an issue that your Network Center guys are refusing to look into. I run Windows 98, NT, 2000, Linux, tried them all and still no resolution. Tried Static and Dynamic addresses, still no resolutions and when it does connect the speeds are unacceptable. I get a faster connection out of my 56K Modem than I do off the Cable Modem, which you inadvertently forced me to sign up for due to your outage that took well over two weeks to resolve.

I have received a bill for $88.31 and after two extremely long and rude phone calls; you bent over backwards and gave me a $15 credit for all my troubles. First off, that is truly the biggest insult I have received since I have been in this Province. A $15 credit for all of our downtime, lost productivity, lost wages simply won't cut it. I refuse to pay this bill and do expect a full credit to this account.

Also, I did contact your wonderful billing Department Feb. 8, 2001 and explained the problem. After consulting the manager on "Her" shift, she managed to get a 42.75 credit on BOTH accounts that we currently have with you. To date, none of these credits have been received and will not be paid, the answer is simple, my wonderful wife was sitting right behind me when the call was made and the arrangements put into place. Now, considering you guys keep no notes of anything you discuss with a customer as proven by a call made on March 22, 2001 when the gentlemen simply stated that he had no record of any calls I had placed with you guys despite having 4 work orders open and two escalations put in to place by your "Help Desk" people.

Bottom line, please fix our problem with our second Internet connection and issue the appropriate credits.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
"One Very Upset Rogers@Home Customer" Guy.

Oh ya, and to the clueless tech support girl that answered my call today, Drivers don't Uninstall themselves. Get a life, and a job!

member for 13.6 years, 44 visits, last login: 10.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by brdbandp See Profile

• Location: Point Pleasant,Mason,WV
Good "None."
Bad "Way too many."
Overall "Don't even THINK about it."

One week install.

3:00 PM
Tech ran coax, 'tested' line.
Informed wife that we had an 'old' Terayon model.

Tech plugged modem in to 'test' it.
Modem never synced.

Made her sign contract.
When asked about the lights, tech told wife:
"That is normal."

Since this was a self install kit, (already a nic in computer),
tech gave us $20 nic as well. Told to buy a 3 1/2 drive since the
cd-rom that @home gives us does not contain driver.
(Driver was on CD)

Tech left, telling her that the system was 'ready to go'.

9:00 PM
I arrive home to 'Send' & 'Receive' lights blinking, meaning no sync.
We call support:
"The area is having problems, it should be back up within the hour.".

3 hours later (now)
We call support:
"Your area is back up. I'll log a ticket."

I ask why the system was not tested.

"The communication on the wire was tested."

I ask why the modem was not tested.

(Tech starts into a awful analogy)
"Problems in shipment can hurt a modem just
like a lightbulb on your car."

Bottom line: Modem was not actually tested.

I am a new customer who has no service.

Way to go Rogers!

Comments:

Review by india1canada See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "great download speed, installation was a breeze, im happy :-)"
Bad "slower upload speed (267 kbps)"
Overall "if u want 2 make the switch and arent patient 4 those dsl providers to come around for installation GO GET ROGERS!!!"

I got this 2 months ago. in my area i have download speeds that max out at arond 2340kbps>>>> (thx to speed test). I have to say the upload speed is finicky, but same with adsl.

And ppl who cry about the speed going down, thats why u got DSL, U'r Wrong. When cable does slowdown, it still is as fast or faster than the advertissed speeds of DSL. DSL, is still tooo premature and has technical problems(Area where u live, Lines may be old, etc)
VIVA ROGERS!!!
if u want fast get rogers!

Comments:

Review by whybother8 See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Decent speeds, little downtime"
Overall "I LOVE my cable access!!"

Oops, double post, sorry!!

member for 13.2 years, 351 visits, last login: 6.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by pan1963 See Profile

• Location: Gloucester,ON
Good "when resegmentation is done speed returns to normal...."
Bad "preformance degrades quickly and e-mail is horribly unreliable!"
Overall "Rogers is an obviously a monopoly in Ontario Canada, proving why monoplies are BAD for business!!!"

As I see it the net is at the very least, MAIL, NEWS, WWW!

39.95 divided by 3 = $13.31 credited
until Rogers gets their %^& together 99 % of the time!

Not bloody likely! Wake up Rogers!
E-mail is an essential internet service!
What year is this 1996, ummm NO, 2001!

A week, a day, an hour, is too long for loss of this service!
(however, I would forgive an hour, which is rarely the case!)

I can't even keep track of how many outages I and other's have had!
Thank God there is Yahoo, Hotmail, etc!
The main difference here is we DON'T PAY for those services!
Lord knows, we can never rely on your e-mail service!

To continue to blame excite@home for their issues is wrong, period!
Any company can pass the buck!
The "RESPONSIBLE" ones do not!
Although today, there are very few of them left. :>(

Rogers, if you want to stay in top place for broadband in Canada,
its time to wake up and resolve these issues with e-mail!

If there was any competition at 300KB (ya right 150-200 KB usually...)
you would not be top dog!

Count your blessings, you won't be the only one's out there for long!

:>(

member for 13.5 years, 15 visits, last login: 13.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by mujou See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "good speed, good reliability"
Overall "recommended"

i placed the order, and they said they'd come on the same day the next week. next week, i got a call saying they were too busy, so they had to postpone it for a few more days. (i forget exactly how many) this was ok, since it ended up being installed on my birthday, which was kind of a nifty birthday present. heh. the cable guy was cool, and gave me some new coaxial, was friendly and talkative, and didn't rush the job.

since then, i've had very little downtime, good speed, and that's it. period. i was really worried about getting rogers@home, since i'd heard many a bad thing about them; on here, and by word of mouth from people i know. but i'm quite, quite pleased so far with the service, and have no gripes.

the only 'major' problem i encountered was this: i had cogeco@home a year or so ago, and still had the dlink nic card they provided in my computer. the cable guy left me with a new nic card anyway (which turned out to be good). the service worked that afternoon for a while, then started doing something weird: the light on the modem would still be on properly, and everything seemed to be working, however, i'd be browsing, and then all of a sudden, it would stop. everything was 'in order', nothing seemed wrong; it just stopped connecting to sites. a release/renew in winipcfg fixed the problem, then it would happen again 5-10 minutes later.

so i went to have a snooze, woke up, and it was fine the whole night. then, in the morning, it started doing the same thing again. i called tech support and told the guy my problem. he suggested, out of having no other valid suggestions i'm assuming, to switch nics. i didn't see what good this would do, but figured i had nothing to lose, so i took my box apart, took out the dlink nic, and stuck in the soho nic. put everything back together, and ever since then, i've had great service. go figure about the nic.