Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by samuelpc0825 See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "always connect"
Bad "the speed is slow , somethimes it's only have 20kps"
Overall "can't think of any..........."

I don't understand why the connection speed is very slow.. I try to contact the adminstrator , but they answered that there's something with my computer..

Still, the connection speed is very slow..

Comments:

Review by Medic2238 See Profile

• Location: Okotoks,AB
Good "None, can't wait to move back to Alberta and get back my trusty Shaw@Work"
Bad "All."
Overall "STAY AWAY FROM THESE CLOWNS!"

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 07/20/01

My comments I made earlier are now coming true. Rogers is now part of a $75 Million Dollar Lawsuit filed by 5 people against Rogers@home for the lackluster service....Mine still sucks, I hate it but no DSL in my neck of the hood yet.....

Read it and weep folks, Rogers is going down and only getting worse!!!

Here is a copy of an e-mail I sent to them. Hopefully, you will avoid these clowns!

First off, let me express my extreme displeasure in dealing with all of you at Rogers. All of you are inconsistent on your "stories" you tell me each time I phone in, you lack serious technical skills at both the Help Desk levels and at the Network Center levels. You have no concern or care for the customer as long as you come out looking rosy on the other end. So let this be a lesson, you guys are by far the weakest Internet Provider anywhere in the world and all you have concern about is the money and not the customer.

This has been an ongoing issue and regardless of how many times I have placed a trouble call to your "Help Desk", the issue still stands unresolved DESPITE two visits from your friendly Rogers Technicians to "Test the Lines" and to replace the modem, but almost 3 months later, still no resolution.

This is not an issue of what software I have running; it is in an issue that your Network Center guys are refusing to look into. I run Windows 98, NT, 2000, Linux, tried them all and still no resolution. Tried Static and Dynamic addresses, still no resolutions and when it does connect the speeds are unacceptable. I get a faster connection out of my 56K Modem than I do off the Cable Modem, which you inadvertently forced me to sign up for due to your outage that took well over two weeks to resolve.

I have received a bill for $88.31 and after two extremely long and rude phone calls; you bent over backwards and gave me a $15 credit for all my troubles. First off, that is truly the biggest insult I have received since I have been in this Province. A $15 credit for all of our downtime, lost productivity, lost wages simply won't cut it. I refuse to pay this bill and do expect a full credit to this account.

Also, I did contact your wonderful billing Department Feb. 8, 2001 and explained the problem. After consulting the manager on "Her" shift, she managed to get a 42.75 credit on BOTH accounts that we currently have with you. To date, none of these credits have been received and will not be paid, the answer is simple, my wonderful wife was sitting right behind me when the call was made and the arrangements put into place. Now, considering you guys keep no notes of anything you discuss with a customer as proven by a call made on March 22, 2001 when the gentlemen simply stated that he had no record of any calls I had placed with you guys despite having 4 work orders open and two escalations put in to place by your "Help Desk" people.

Bottom line, please fix our problem with our second Internet connection and issue the appropriate credits.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
"One Very Upset Rogers@Home Customer" Guy.

Oh ya, and to the clueless tech support girl that answered my call today, Drivers don't Uninstall themselves. Get a life, and a job!

member for 13.2 years, 44 visits, last login: 10.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by brdbandp See Profile

• Location: Point Pleasant,Mason,WV
Good "None."
Bad "Way too many."
Overall "Don't even THINK about it."

One week install.

3:00 PM
Tech ran coax, 'tested' line.
Informed wife that we had an 'old' Terayon model.

Tech plugged modem in to 'test' it.
Modem never synced.

Made her sign contract.
When asked about the lights, tech told wife:
"That is normal."

Since this was a self install kit, (already a nic in computer),
tech gave us $20 nic as well. Told to buy a 3 1/2 drive since the
cd-rom that @home gives us does not contain driver.
(Driver was on CD)

Tech left, telling her that the system was 'ready to go'.

9:00 PM
I arrive home to 'Send' & 'Receive' lights blinking, meaning no sync.
We call support:
"The area is having problems, it should be back up within the hour.".

3 hours later (now)
We call support:
"Your area is back up. I'll log a ticket."

I ask why the system was not tested.

"The communication on the wire was tested."

I ask why the modem was not tested.

(Tech starts into a awful analogy)
"Problems in shipment can hurt a modem just
like a lightbulb on your car."

Bottom line: Modem was not actually tested.

I am a new customer who has no service.

Way to go Rogers!

Comments:

Review by india1canada See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "great download speed, installation was a breeze, im happy :-)"
Bad "slower upload speed (267 kbps)"
Overall "if u want 2 make the switch and arent patient 4 those dsl providers to come around for installation GO GET ROGERS!!!"

I got this 2 months ago. in my area i have download speeds that max out at arond 2340kbps>>>> (thx to speed test). I have to say the upload speed is finicky, but same with adsl.

And ppl who cry about the speed going down, thats why u got DSL, U'r Wrong. When cable does slowdown, it still is as fast or faster than the advertissed speeds of DSL. DSL, is still tooo premature and has technical problems(Area where u live, Lines may be old, etc)
VIVA ROGERS!!!
if u want fast get rogers!

member for 13.1 years, 29 visits, last login: 10.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by whybother8 See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Decent speeds, little downtime"
Overall "I LOVE my cable access!!"

Oops, double post, sorry!!

member for 12.8 years, 351 visits, last login: 6.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by pan1963 See Profile

• Location: Gloucester,ON
Good "when resegmentation is done speed returns to normal...."
Bad "preformance degrades quickly and e-mail is horribly unreliable!"
Overall "Rogers is an obviously a monopoly in Ontario Canada, proving why monoplies are BAD for business!!!"

As I see it the net is at the very least, MAIL, NEWS, WWW!

39.95 divided by 3 = $13.31 credited
until Rogers gets their %^& together 99 % of the time!

Not bloody likely! Wake up Rogers!
E-mail is an essential internet service!
What year is this 1996, ummm NO, 2001!

A week, a day, an hour, is too long for loss of this service!
(however, I would forgive an hour, which is rarely the case!)

I can't even keep track of how many outages I and other's have had!
Thank God there is Yahoo, Hotmail, etc!
The main difference here is we DON'T PAY for those services!
Lord knows, we can never rely on your e-mail service!

To continue to blame excite@home for their issues is wrong, period!
Any company can pass the buck!
The "RESPONSIBLE" ones do not!
Although today, there are very few of them left. :>(

Rogers, if you want to stay in top place for broadband in Canada,
its time to wake up and resolve these issues with e-mail!

If there was any competition at 300KB (ya right 150-200 KB usually...)
you would not be top dog!

Count your blessings, you won't be the only one's out there for long!

:>(

member for 13.1 years, 15 visits, last login: 12.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by mujou See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "good speed, good reliability"
Overall "recommended"

i placed the order, and they said they'd come on the same day the next week. next week, i got a call saying they were too busy, so they had to postpone it for a few more days. (i forget exactly how many) this was ok, since it ended up being installed on my birthday, which was kind of a nifty birthday present. heh. the cable guy was cool, and gave me some new coaxial, was friendly and talkative, and didn't rush the job.

since then, i've had very little downtime, good speed, and that's it. period. i was really worried about getting rogers@home, since i'd heard many a bad thing about them; on here, and by word of mouth from people i know. but i'm quite, quite pleased so far with the service, and have no gripes.

the only 'major' problem i encountered was this: i had cogeco@home a year or so ago, and still had the dlink nic card they provided in my computer. the cable guy left me with a new nic card anyway (which turned out to be good). the service worked that afternoon for a while, then started doing something weird: the light on the modem would still be on properly, and everything seemed to be working, however, i'd be browsing, and then all of a sudden, it would stop. everything was 'in order', nothing seemed wrong; it just stopped connecting to sites. a release/renew in winipcfg fixed the problem, then it would happen again 5-10 minutes later.

so i went to have a snooze, woke up, and it was fine the whole night. then, in the morning, it started doing the same thing again. i called tech support and told the guy my problem. he suggested, out of having no other valid suggestions i'm assuming, to switch nics. i didn't see what good this would do, but figured i had nothing to lose, so i took my box apart, took out the dlink nic, and stuck in the soho nic. put everything back together, and ever since then, i've had great service. go figure about the nic.

Comments:

Review by germanboy See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Still the fastest option in town"
Bad "Not scoring 100% on e-mail reliability yet"
Overall "If you use the web a lot, this ones for you!"

I've been a client of Rogers@home for 3 years now, and they have improved their service levels drastically during that time. I also had a chance to test out Cogeco (parents place in Oakville), Bell Sympatico (tried it for 3 months, but didn't like it, too unreliable) and, of course regular dial-up (never again, please).

Tech support is now readily available, I haven't noticed my connection going down in the last 6 or 8 months, and my download speeds are limited more by the sites I download from then by Rogers.

The flexibility it gives you for setting up multiple computers is a huge bonus, and access doesn't slow noticeably with 2 or 3 machines connected at the same time.

Currently, they also have me on a static IP, which is great for remote connections.

Still running one of their older LANCity modems (weighs a ton!), which has worked reliably for the entire period so far.

member for 13.1 years, 157 visits, last login: 9.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by ghawkeye See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Very fast connection when not busy"
Bad "No email as to when service is to be down for service"
Overall "Overall very good"

The install process was very smooth. I did the software part and had no trouble following the very detail and user friendly manual that is provided. The tech install a new cable and connected the Terayon Cable modem and the Linksys Etherfast 10/100 USB Network Adapter. Overall I am very please with the preformance of the system and I receive on average a aspeed of around 65 to 310kbps and would suggest it to all user looking for a fast connection.

member for 13.3 years, 21 visits, last login: 12.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by OLDb34tBoX See Profile

Good "Faster than 56k"
Bad "capped...CAPPED...Oh GOD the CAP!!!"
Overall "Release the cap and I'll be happy"

Yeah...Installation was good...But I hope that only Roger@Home users read this.

I get downloads of around 250-300k/s max on like fast servers like happypuppy and Microsoft and uploads of around 40k/s...I was wondering if others get this kinda "speed" or is there someway to enhance the performance...Because Rogers supplies you with a 10MB modem and it's capped at 4MB supposably...I guess this is broadband or something...Anyways...Find a provider that doesn't cap you because you could be paying for a service that isn't worthwhile...Roger@HOME people...Reply to this!...Thanks

member for 13.1 years, 1008 visits, last login: 10.3 years ago