Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by MJB See Profile

Good "Web Surfing"
Bad "Throttling, UBB, DNS Redirects"
Overall "Worst ISP in Canada"

·VMedia
·ACN DSL
Rogers is a piece of crap

member for 2.8 years, 653 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by thebaron See Profile

• Location: Stittsville,ON
Good "I can browse wikipedia really fast!"
Bad "Low caps, throttling, stalls, no video streaming"
Overall "Can't wait for someone else to come along, then it's bye-bye!"

If you plan on doing anything other than browsing, forget it. Netflix, torrents, wow etc are awful.

member for 10.9 years, 4893 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by brian10161 See Profile

Good "Fast and reliable."
Bad "Low bandwidth caps, shat upload speeds, expensive for what you get."
Overall "For light browsing, email and odd youtube browsing it's fine, but for people who like to download or stream, go somewhere else."

I have been on Rogers now for approximately 6 or so years, maybe longer. Have upped my speed profile 2 times. Started on Ultra light, then moved to Lite and now on Express.

My bandwidth cap has been steadily dropping over the years. Was unlimited, then went to 75gb and now sitting at 60gb which I go over almost every month. My brother plays online games so that doesn't help, especially when the update for his favorite game is 4gb!

Switching to something else and hopefully won't have to come back

Comments:

Review by Gongster See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "Good speeds and reliable service"
Bad "CAPS! Tech support people don't know nothing."
Overall "It has gotten much better over the years."

The first day they installed it it ran fine. Problems started coming after a week. Online gaming became really laggy and over 200ms. I called them to see whats wrong and they kept saying it was my computer. Hell every computer in the house had slow internet. Then they said a low priority ticket would get you served faster. WTF? Shouldn't a high priority ticket get you served faster!

!!!UPDATE!!!
I have been upgraded to a DOCSIS Toshiba PCX2500 modem and speeds have been good ever since the upgrade. It wasn't that easy to get the new modem because the stupid techs would keep telling me it's a problem with my computer. So I had to scam them into thinking my old modem was broken and then I got a new one. After I got the modem upgrade speeds were consistent at 1450/180.

Just a few days ago the speeds were upgraded to 2800/360! Speeds are still consistent after the upgrade and pings are low! Rogers has improved a lot over the years and I hope they will continue to improve.

!!!UPDATE July 06, 2004!!!!
I have now signed up for rogers extreme and got a brand new Motorola Surfboard 5100 for $80. Speeds are now solid at 4800/790.

Speed Test Results:
»/speedtests/49···88599497

Hopefully they will have a 10mb package in the future

!!UPDATE Dec 28, 2011
Have not updated this in a long time. Long story short there was a 10mb package not too long after I was upgraded to 5mb. All has been well and good these past few years until just recently. The data caps have been killing me! My internet has been costing me $100+ a month because of them. Upgraded to 32mb package in order to get a 150GB limit and was required to get that stupid SMC all in one modem. Wireless performance was non existent. At 32mbps it was not long before I started hitting 150GB data consistently and internet was costing me $100+ again.

I have now switched to the 25mbps Teksavvy cable, no caps. Review here: »Review of TekSavvy Cable by Gongster

GG Rogers.

Comments:

Review by oldsam See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Good speeds, reliable connection (olny one downtime in a year) and good customer support"
Bad "Horrible data caps, overpriced and dishonest customer service when first signed up"
Overall "Unless you are a light internet user (no streaming/downloading) this is the right deal for you, otherwise avoid at all costs."

I did get everything i signed up for, but they told me 60gbs will be more than sufficient for my activities, the blame goes on both sides, more from my side, which started this horrible one year contract with rogers.

First of all, they throttle all peer to peer activities (a maximum of 80 kbps), including services such as Skype a which use p2p for video calls, and others such as utorrent. This renders the connection almost unusable and HD video chatting is not even close to being an option. Not the greatest problem i guess. When i first signed up, they told me that i will have a grace period of 3 months to either terminate the contract or upgrade my package without being charged. After a about 5 weeks with rogers, i had enough and decided to cancel my contract (i was running over the data cap without even doing any serious work) only to be told that they changed the rules and i can no longer cancel it. I opted for option two, which was to upgrade to a package with a higher limit, will guess what, they reduced their data caps, and changing my plan would be nothing short of stupid. And so i got stuck in a horrible one year contract Rogers, It expires in a month and i honestly can't wait. I've been limiting my every single move online, scrapped off the whole idea of streaming and videos and kept it to basic activities, which for a user like me, is a painful task :P

Bottom line, never sign up with rogers if you use services such as Netflix, YouTube, Skype, utorrent, etc. because you will have to reduce your usage and greatly limit your online activities. Rogers is ideal for light users, due to its very stable connection, otherwise, plain and simple, NO.

Comments:

Review by dauthiatull See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "good speed and uptime"
Bad "way over priced and caped"
Overall "I have had worse"

at least there is no great firewall of canada
yet

member for 11.3 years, 1920 visits, last login: 22 days ago

Comments:

Review by zeg See Profile

Good "excelent"
Bad "far away servers high latency and slower downloads"

Excellent i love it

Comments:

Review by Resistencex3 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Consistent Speeds."
Bad "Overpriced, Bandwidth Caps, Slow Speeds"
Overall "Don't buy, consider like a wholesale provider. Rogers overpriced, unreliable"

Rogers Hi-Speed Internet has very consistent speeds, staying constant at 12mbp/s down 512kb/s up. However, it costs around $100 monthly because the cap would always be reached and went over, which adds around $50 to the bill. Consider something like a wholesale provider, offering double the speeds at half the price. In addition, Rogers Internet disconnects very frequently, and at random times.

Comments:

Review by mal315c See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Extremely reliable."
Bad "Prices, packages, bandwidth caps, bandwidth surchage."
Overall "It's more reliable then Bell and there's no other competitors for cable internet.."

I've been with Rogers since 2005. Sadly there's no competition in the cable internet market so we're stuck with what we have. Cable internet is a lot more reliable then DSL, since Rogers is the only cable provider in my area then I've chosen to go with them over Bell.

The plans are horribly laid out to force you into upgrading to a higher package when all you would need is a 6mb connection with a higher bandwidth limit.

They upgrade your connection to the next speed up without you even asking then claim every year that costs go up and then charge you more.

The bandwidth cap limits are ridiculous. Paying 2$ per gb when they can give you 60gb for 46.99$ a month makes no sense.

I hope one day there's competition in the cable internet markets but for now sadly Rogers is your best choice.

Comments:

Review by aintz See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Very fast and stable, decent customer service"
Bad "Expensive"
Overall "Would consider using again in the future"

Rogers express 10mbit cable. been using about about a year. was using bell highspeed before.

the internet service is fast and stable but expensive. since i have to cut back on expenses, ive decided to look for another cheaper/slower solution

called rogers today to cancel my subscription and it went smoothly, almost no wait time for speaking to customer service but had to to wait about 5mins for cancellation service.

update 1. switch to teksavvy dsl for 5month got sick and tired of constant disconnects and switched back to rogers.

update 2. cancelled service yesterday to try out bell fibe 12. cancellation was very smooth took 3mins from dialing to finishing.