Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by stephsm See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Good speeds, stable connection"
Bad "Terrible caps, terrible overage costs, slow DNS lookups, poor communication"
Overall "While the service itself is good overall, it's not worth the cost."

Update - about a week after the cancellation date, I got another final bill for Overage. This pisses me off for the simple fact that I never got any notifications via email or web browser, not to mention that they disabled the tracking on the billing page. While I do take responsibility for going over my overage, I will never go back to Rogers for this underhanded tactic and will make sure to steer friends, family and clients away from them.

I've had Rogers for the last 5 years as Bell was not available in my new location. Service itself has been stable and consistent over these 5 years and I've not had any complaints.

However, with the advent of streaming, Rogers is no longer a viable option. I had a 60GB limit which over the last 3-4 months I've exceeded, a couple of times hitting their max $50 overage a couple of times. While I did try to purchase a higher alotment by going up to the next tier, the order got cancelled and I didn't receive any communication from their office explaining why, nor could they explain why when I called. This couple with the fact that warnings about going over your usage are inconsistant, I decided to move to another provider, which I was successfully switched over to yesterday, and I'll write a review about that one later, once I've had a little more time to evaluate. But seeing as it's essentially the same connection, I'm expecting the same service, at a better cost, better bandwidth allowance, and less of the negatives.

As for the DNS in the negatives; I had been having problems downloading an huge update to a game on our PS3, and it would consistently fail. after doing some searches, it seems like the DNS lookup for Rogers is pretty poor as well. Switched it to Google's free DNS servers and wow, what a difference. Not only did the patch go through without a hitch on the first try (had tried several times previously), but I hadn't realize how much it affected web pages browsing; I had always figured that the sites hosted the pages were just slow, so letting them take a 10 -15 seconds to load up was fine by me...same sites using the new DNS servers and bam, up almost immediately after clicking go...

Cheers!

Steph S.

Comments:

Review by Ian See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Nothing good about Rogers"
Bad "High Latency in evening."
Overall "If something else is available to you, anything at all, short of dial-up, get it."

In a situation where I have to use the Rogers service. Wish that wasn't the case.

member for 12.5 years, 6006 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by KillerNIC See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Caps, Throttling, Poor Customer Service, rude customer service, arrogance."
Overall "Extreme Plus is a joke."

Rogers Positives:

- Connection is stable, usually.
- Can't think of anything else

Rogers Negatives:
-Rude CSR's
-Lying CSR's
-Expensive
-Throttling
-Low bit caps
-Crappy hardware

member for 11.8 years, 1631 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by MJB See Profile

Good "Web Surfing"
Bad "Throttling, UBB, DNS Redirects"
Overall "Worst ISP in Canada"

·VMedia
·ACN DSL
Rogers is a piece of crap

member for 2.8 years, 653 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by thebaron See Profile

• Location: Stittsville,ON
Good "I can browse wikipedia really fast!"
Bad "Low caps, throttling, stalls, no video streaming"
Overall "Can't wait for someone else to come along, then it's bye-bye!"

If you plan on doing anything other than browsing, forget it. Netflix, torrents, wow etc are awful.

member for 11 years, 4941 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by brian10161 See Profile

Good "Fast and reliable."
Bad "Low bandwidth caps, shat upload speeds, expensive for what you get."
Overall "For light browsing, email and odd youtube browsing it's fine, but for people who like to download or stream, go somewhere else."

I have been on Rogers now for approximately 6 or so years, maybe longer. Have upped my speed profile 2 times. Started on Ultra light, then moved to Lite and now on Express.

My bandwidth cap has been steadily dropping over the years. Was unlimited, then went to 75gb and now sitting at 60gb which I go over almost every month. My brother plays online games so that doesn't help, especially when the update for his favorite game is 4gb!

Switching to something else and hopefully won't have to come back

Comments:

Review by Gongster See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "Good speeds and reliable service"
Bad "CAPS! Tech support people don't know nothing."
Overall "It has gotten much better over the years."

The first day they installed it it ran fine. Problems started coming after a week. Online gaming became really laggy and over 200ms. I called them to see whats wrong and they kept saying it was my computer. Hell every computer in the house had slow internet. Then they said a low priority ticket would get you served faster. WTF? Shouldn't a high priority ticket get you served faster!

!!!UPDATE!!!
I have been upgraded to a DOCSIS Toshiba PCX2500 modem and speeds have been good ever since the upgrade. It wasn't that easy to get the new modem because the stupid techs would keep telling me it's a problem with my computer. So I had to scam them into thinking my old modem was broken and then I got a new one. After I got the modem upgrade speeds were consistent at 1450/180.

Just a few days ago the speeds were upgraded to 2800/360! Speeds are still consistent after the upgrade and pings are low! Rogers has improved a lot over the years and I hope they will continue to improve.

!!!UPDATE July 06, 2004!!!!
I have now signed up for rogers extreme and got a brand new Motorola Surfboard 5100 for $80. Speeds are now solid at 4800/790.

Speed Test Results:
»/speedtests/49···88599497

Hopefully they will have a 10mb package in the future

!!UPDATE Dec 28, 2011
Have not updated this in a long time. Long story short there was a 10mb package not too long after I was upgraded to 5mb. All has been well and good these past few years until just recently. The data caps have been killing me! My internet has been costing me $100+ a month because of them. Upgraded to 32mb package in order to get a 150GB limit and was required to get that stupid SMC all in one modem. Wireless performance was non existent. At 32mbps it was not long before I started hitting 150GB data consistently and internet was costing me $100+ again.

I have now switched to the 25mbps Teksavvy cable, no caps. Review here: »Review of TekSavvy Cable by Gongster

GG Rogers.

Comments:

Review by oldsam See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Good speeds, reliable connection (olny one downtime in a year) and good customer support"
Bad "Horrible data caps, overpriced and dishonest customer service when first signed up"
Overall "Unless you are a light internet user (no streaming/downloading) this is the right deal for you, otherwise avoid at all costs."

I did get everything i signed up for, but they told me 60gbs will be more than sufficient for my activities, the blame goes on both sides, more from my side, which started this horrible one year contract with rogers.

First of all, they throttle all peer to peer activities (a maximum of 80 kbps), including services such as Skype a which use p2p for video calls, and others such as utorrent. This renders the connection almost unusable and HD video chatting is not even close to being an option. Not the greatest problem i guess. When i first signed up, they told me that i will have a grace period of 3 months to either terminate the contract or upgrade my package without being charged. After a about 5 weeks with rogers, i had enough and decided to cancel my contract (i was running over the data cap without even doing any serious work) only to be told that they changed the rules and i can no longer cancel it. I opted for option two, which was to upgrade to a package with a higher limit, will guess what, they reduced their data caps, and changing my plan would be nothing short of stupid. And so i got stuck in a horrible one year contract Rogers, It expires in a month and i honestly can't wait. I've been limiting my every single move online, scrapped off the whole idea of streaming and videos and kept it to basic activities, which for a user like me, is a painful task :P

Bottom line, never sign up with rogers if you use services such as Netflix, YouTube, Skype, utorrent, etc. because you will have to reduce your usage and greatly limit your online activities. Rogers is ideal for light users, due to its very stable connection, otherwise, plain and simple, NO.

Comments:

Review by dauthiatull See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "good speed and uptime"
Bad "way over priced and caped"
Overall "I have had worse"

at least there is no great firewall of canada
yet

member for 11.3 years, 1934 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by zeg See Profile

Good "excelent"
Bad "far away servers high latency and slower downloads"

Excellent i love it