Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by Dustyn See Profile

• Location: Tottenham,ON
Good "No packet loss (versus Sympatico), faster downloads, all in one bundled bill."
Bad "Customer support needs work... They are not very friendly people."
Overall "Somewhat better than Sympatico..."

·TekSavvy Cable
UPDATE: Saturday, January 21, 2015 (LAST ROGERS REVIEW)

Leaving Rogers after a decade in favor of TekSavy.
Far better cap options like 400GB or UNLIMITED at almost half the cost!
Rogers is unwilling to work with a long time customer without forcing an upgrade to my existing hardware (which I'll admit is old: SURfboard 5100).
Even after the upgrade with new modem the prices aren't any better!
Rogers refuses to come to an agreement with me to match what TekSavy is offering. Even if I agree to lock myself into a 2yr contract with them!
So goodbye Rogers, it was fun while it lasted...
Hello TekSavy!

- END TRANSMISSION - 10:02:31AM Eastern Standard Time

UPDATE: Friday, October 29, 2010:

No real issues to bring up. Connection remains stable. New contract pricing plan put into effect based being a long time customer. Monthly cost will be updated shortly...

- END TRANSMISSION - 11:45:45PM Eastern Standard Time

UPDATE: Sunday, April 23, 2006:

Returned Motorola SURFboard 5100 Cable Modem to local Rogers Video/Internet outlet because I have decided to upgrade my current EXPRESS plan to EXTREME. The deal I have made with Rogers is if I decide to purchase a NEW Motorola SURFboard 5100 Cable Modem for $99.95 (CAD), they will eliminate the $3.00/mth modem rental charge and they will automatically upgrade me to the EXTREME plan at no additional charge! I'm VERY happy to say I now have Rogers Extreme Internet and I'm only paying EXPRESS prices!

Nod too shabby.
NOTE: This is not some promotional deal where the price would be jacked up down the road. I have confirmation that I am locked in at this current set rate for EXTREME.

RANKING: Pre Sales Information knocked down a point from 4 to 3 as the 3 different people I have talked to get frustrated with me if I need clarification on something.

Quote: "Okay, sir? I just explained this to you.... What is it about this plan you are having so much difficulty understanding?"

*growls* The utter nerve of some people. This kind of B.S. used to get to me... but now I get the last smart ass rebuttal in and hang up each time I get some snobby uptight pencil pushing geek with a chip on his/her shoulder.

Do your damn job and cut the attitude!!
I'm only asking for clarification in the most friendly way I know how?

- END TRANSMISSION - 03:41:58AM Eastern Standard Time

UPDATE: Sunday, October 30, 2005:

No new news to report about Rogers@Home Hi-Speed ISP. Read previous review for information about my ISP.

UPDATE: Sunday, March 20, 2005:

*CONNECTION RELIABILITY: Changed from rank (5) to a (4).

Seeing some noticeable delays. Connection seems bogged down. Not as snappy as it used to be. May reset modem to see if this clears things up. May go as far as logging into the modem web interface and restoring factory defaults to flush out memory. Maybe a new IP is needed. Will try option one first.

- END TRANSMISSION - 11:39:45PM Eastern Standard Time

From order to live to 6 days. I was not impressed since I already had Rogers Cable wired through the house. I just needed a technician to come by and install the splitter outside my house and put in the new cable to connect to the modem. Rogers rep called me originally on January, 12, 2005 and offered us Rogers High Speed Lite for $19.95 for the first 6 months. We already had Sympatico HSE but inquired about the Rogers Express deal which is more or less the equivalent of Sympatico HSE 3.0. She offered it to me at $29.95 for the first 6 months then after being raised to 44.95 per month. But the incentive was that I could bundle my Cable and Cellular with High Speed Internet all under one service bill. They take 15% off my Cable Bill along with another 15% off my High-Speed bill for the life of the service. (does not expire)

Order was placed on January 12, 2005 and was live on January 18, 2005. Originally was booked for January 14, 2005 but was cancelled because I was "using" my phone.

Yeah... can you believe that? I was using my phone for 15 minutes the evening he was supposed to arrive at my home and after I hang up, the red indicator light was flashing on my phone. I pick up the phone to listen for messages and I get a Rogers rep telling me, "We're sorry, a Rogers technician was set to install your Rogers Yahoo! High-Speed Internet today between 5PM-8:00PM and verified nobody was home and had to cancel the appointment. Please reschedule with us for another appointment and we thank you for choosing Rogers Yahoo! High Speed Internet services. Have a great day!"

I was so pissed. He never came to my house!! Basically what Rogers is saying is that I have to keep the telephone line clear for 3 hours so Rogers can verify somebody is home. I sure as hell wished somebody would have told me that before hand!

To make a long story short I re-booked for January 18, 2005 and the tech came by extra early... 3:00PM! Luckily I was home...*geeze!* : \ ... he installed the cabling to my satisfaction *did a great job actually* installed the Motorolla SURFboard SB5100 Cable Modem and I was happily surfing the net.

*NOTE: The reason I was so pissed of at Rogers Customer Support is because the reps were talking back to me, questioning me as to why I couldn't re-book it for another day instead of making things easier on them. I couldn't re-book it easily because the last few days I was off sick and was off work. Now I have to explain to them why I need the tech to come in at a specific time after work instead of booking MORE time off of work?

Just come on the day and time a customer specifies?
It's that simple!
Or at least tell customers that they have to keep there phone lines clear!
Almost went back to Sympatico... but, now that I'm all hooked up with my Rogers Internet, I'm all set!

member for 12.1 years, 3960 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by TLS2000 See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Reliable connection"
Bad "Punitive usage caps."

·TekSavvy Cable
Being forced to use this service because my girlfriend is getting a good deal from Rogers and won't consider switching to a more expensive service from TekSavvy.

The service is reliable, but I hate that there are usage caps on it. As soon as they increase the price, we'll switch to TekSavvy again.

Comments:

Review by dauthiatull See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "none"
Bad "way over priced and caped speed issues and droped connections"
Overall "researching bell now"

just about done with rogers

member for 11.7 years, 1991 visits, last login: 14 days ago

Comments:

Review by Terinox See Profile

Good "Consistent speed, price (only because of promotion)"
Bad "Constant liars and deceiving..."
Overall "ONLY good because they have monopoly over Cable..."

·TekSavvy Cable
I was with Teksavvy, but switched to Rogers ONLY because of a crazy promotion. I was VERY happy and pleased with Teksavvy, never had any problems.

Roger's called me and told me if I switched from Teksavvy to Roger's, they would match my current internet, but also give me AN 8 YEAR PRICE LOCK guarantee! Only reason why I switched...

Roger's gave 30 mbps down / 3 mbps up with 300 GB cap for only $45 dollars for 8 YEARS! The offer really blew my mind!!! Nothing comes even close to that kind of deal right now.

OVERALL, they are good because they own all the cable lines and have priority with their own speeds/system. (All other cable companies piggy back off their system I believe).

If you check their site, the prices are WAY TOO HIGH, and I don't even recommend Roger's. Go with Teksavvy for a much better price and good reliability UNLESS you can get a crazy promotion from Rogers. The prices on their website is a JOKE! Way too expensive! I think they charge those prices to people who are naive or poor senior citizens who don't know better

Makes me very sad how badly some people get taken advantage of! Even Roger's has tried to raise my price multiple times, and only when calling and yelling at management have I been able to confirm and continue my 8 year price lock of $45 dollars with them. I'm sure any day now they will try and screw me over with my amazing package promotion that I got...

Good luck to anyone trying to get a decent internet package with a decent price

Comments:

Review by Soiduts See Profile

• Location: Ontario
Good "Decent speed profiles"
Bad "Bandwidth Caps, Price, Service, Policies"
Overall "Terrible ISP - Support a 3rd Party ISP Instead"

August 2014
------------
Rogers botched up an installation down the street and hung unsightly wires for a good 50meters via the street lights. The installation was so bad that two days later it messed up the entire neighbourhood and knocked everyone's services out for over 8 hours. Using Teksavvy Cable currently but unfortunately still at the mercy of Rogers and their techs when instances like this occur.

August 2013
------------
Have used Rogers Cable in two locations now. Overall the service provided is okay but the price and bandwidth caps make it impossible for a family to use the Internet properly. They are trying to protect their TV cable service by making Internet access a terrible experience in Canada.

DHCP Issues - Whenever Rogers is servicing an area, they set the DHCP lease time to an hour, even during the middle of the day or peak times. An avoidable complication.

Predatory Business Practices - Rogers is continually attacking smaller ISP's that are trying to provide a good service.

Terrible Tech Support - Their tech support is horrible. The tier 1 techs are useless and refuse to acknowledge issues that are caused by them such as upgrades they are conducting, RF issues or unexpected downtime. They try to blame the consumer instead. Almost impossible to get information from them or to be transferred to a tier 2 tech.

Throttling in the Past - While Rogers isn't currently throttling, they did so in the past affecting normal usage of the service.

Packet Injection - Rogers uses packet injection to give their customers information on their cap usage. ISP's should not be modifying a customers packets for any reason.

Comments:

Review by chipface See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "it works"
Bad "low caps, exhorbant overage fees, throttling, dns redirects"
Overall "look elsewhere if you have the choice"

·TekSavvy Cable
Been using Robbers for over 10 years. Had my own account for about 7. I remember when I first got it, it was $45(including modem rental I believe). Now it's almost $60, with no improvements in service. I'd say it's declined if anything.

Connection:

It's reliable for the most part. Except when it comes to torrents. A torrent can have all the seeds in the world and it'll still be slow. At least their SMC gateway did its job.

Bandwidth:

Before I didn't think much of their overage charges, $1/gb or no more than $25. Whatever, I thought it was decent. Sometime in 2010 they doubled their overage charges without any notice. Unfortunately I found out the hard way one month when my bill was double. Ever since then I've been wanting to go elsewhere. And 60gb a month? That's not much to play with at all.

Another major gripe of mine is the DNS redirects. I have an extremely bad habit of mistyping URLs so I get that redirect all the time. Normally you'd just fix whatever you mistyped but nope, gotta do it all over again.

Once I found out I could get Teksavvy in my area, I called to cancel my account(stupid 30 days). Right away they guessed bandwidth was my reason(well one of them really). They offered me 30% off for six months(what a joke). They asked if there was anything they could do to get my to change my mind and when I said no they didn't press it further. But to be the douchebags they are, they limited what I can do on their website because I cancelled. I can't even pay my final bill online. Also, about a week before my disconnect date(I switched over 10 days before disconnection), they send me a letter in the mail about better managing my monthly usage, what a joke.

Honestly, you should only go with Robbers if another ISP such as Teksavvy or Acanac isn't available in your area.

Comments:
LSTA

join:2010-11-25
North York, ON
·Rogers Hi-Speed

Re: online bill unavailable thanks to cancellation

I had that happen to me too -- cancelled and couldn't view my last bill online. Worse, when I called to be re-connected, everything worked fine but it took them 6 months to fix online billing so it would show me my bills. I had to eventually escalate it via Rogers.com support. They did eventually fix things, but yeah, Rogers.com is a bit of a mess still, and if you aren't here for the 150-250Mbps speed, I highly recommend alternative TPIAs.

Review by UltraSound See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "free technician repair, free moving charges"
Bad "low cap, high price, no referral policy"
Overall "Finally broke the Rogers chains"

I am technically savvy but quite easy on Internet usage. With Rogers since 10+ years. Currently having Fiber60, I am Ok with the speed, never bothered to measure SpeedTest. I noticed sometimes there are connection issues or slowdown but these were either rare or bearable for me. What I can't stand is the 120GB cap. Once or twice a year I go past the cap and it was always a pain to track the bill, calling Customer Service to get the credit back. Sometimes I forgot and past 6 months, it's impossible to claim a credit.

What annoyed me is that the monthly price is already high. When my usage is way below the cap, Rogers doesn't allow me to capitalize the cap savings. As soon as I cross the 120G cap, there is merciless and exorbitant overage charges. I hung on with Rogers for so long because I could bargain a discount. But the discount is becoming thinner and thinner. Recently the best I could get is a $10 discount out of the $70 monthly.

The last drop was an overage charge in spite of my previous 10 months were all around 80% of the cap. As of now, October 2014, Start and TekSavvy offer higher cap, lower price. In particular the "30 Mbps Down, 5 Mbps Up" at $45/month. In spite of half the speed of Rogers Fiber60, which I don't mind. It is significantly cheaper than Rogers. Start even gives a cap of 200GB which I am sure I will never be bothered again by those stupid overage charges.

As a DOCCIS 3 modem is now affordable $77 at Canada Computers. Both Start Communications and TekSavvy waive the installation fees if we come from Rogers cable. I called Rogers and told them clearly I am about to cancel to give them a last chance to match competition prices. Rogers customer retention service seems not to take me seriously. I cancelled on the spot. Will probably go with Start.

In conclusion, I see no reason to stay with Rogers Internet and I hate myself for not having the courage to shop around a few years earlier.

Comments:

Review by ground See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Canadian phone support"
Bad "Very expensive, modem fees, bandwidth caps, slow in the evening"
Overall "Rogers Hi-speed is garbage"

Original Review: November 6, 2013

I go to college full-time and the difference between my school internet and my Rogers connection at home is dramatic. When I get home in the evening I feel like I traveled 30 years back in time and that my internet is 33.6k dial-up all over again. Heck, I even stay in the library late so I can use the school's fast internet to complete all of my assignments and submit them on time, can't rely on Rogers in the evening, which goes up and down as it pleases. Their DNS is a disaster, it just stops resolving hosts all of a sudden and my internet quietly dies. And also don't forget bandwidth caps, which they call "usage allowance" as if we are in a Nazi concentration camp somewhere. I'm so paranoid that I have 2 separate programs monitoring my bandwidth so that I don't go over their pathetic limit. Otherwise their warning messages will be all over my computer. What a joke!

===================================================

UPDATE: October 5, 2014

Well, we cancelled Rogers Hi-Speed Internet in August 2014 because of the overages fees. We had Lite package with 25GB per month and they charged us over $500CAD for overages, which is crazy. Now we don't have internet at all and I have to rely on school internet to submit my assignments. Everybody in my family is scared to order internet from anybody else because of the charges we had from Rogers. I am looking to order another internet, preferably DSL and putting it under my name.

member for 7.2 years, 939 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

kn00tcn
zero-zero

join:2006-04-19
Canada

robbers

well if the package says 25gb, i dont see how anyone can expect not to go over it...

but i thought rogers had a max overage of $50 or something? at the very least i think they had a $35 unlimited option that you can add to any plan

obviously a third party provider will have a fair price so that's the only sane way to go

dsl is a good idea if you're in the right location so you might as well try it (my current dsl is solid 6mbit down for quite a few years, no slowdowns, no packet loss, at most some 2-3am very specific outages a couple times a year when bell works on something... i'm pretty positive my line is on a remote instead of directly to the CO)

Review by rrt2008 See Profile

• Location: Keswick,ON
Good "Have had 2 outages in over 6"
Bad "Not competitive. Horrible customer service"
Overall "Teksavy offers the same plan for $15 less per month, their 35/3 plan"

·TekSavvy TekTalk
Had their service for almost 8 years. Connection was good with minimal outages. Got tired of having to drop the C-bomb (cancel) every year to get a decent rate. Switched to Teksavvy and I'm getting higher speeds for less $. Don't use them. Go with a TPIA or go without. Just stay away from Rogers

Comments:

Review by herglod See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Not reliable at all!!!"
Overall "God save us from them!"

·TekSavvy Cable
I had 3 service interruption in the last 2 months and they were due to the fact the cable line was cut accidentally. It also happened before (previous years).

Normally someone could say this is the fault of the person who cut the cable(...), but the reality is the cable in my street are supposed to be properly buried underground, however Rogers do "temporary" cable repair by hanging the cables in the trees.

This situation is common for many people in my street and I don't understand after more than 2 years why Rogers hasn't repaired things properly.

All my recent service outages mentioned above are a result of improper cable repair and it is really unacceptable.

Also, the reason I also evaluated the "Pre Sales information" to "worst" is because they keep sending me junk mail in my postal mailbox with offers to subscriber to Rogers Cable TV... but I am already with Rogers Cable TV!!! Can you stop sending spam??? Don't you even know who is an existing subscriber or not? I fill my recycle bin every week of junk like that!

I am wondering why company such as Rogers are still in business today.

They are just there to have the monopole, make a lot of profit, steal money from customers and slow down the evolution of technology in general.

I had internet&TV since roughly year 1995 with different ISPs and providers, and I never had a service as unreliable as what I am getting with Rogers.

Rogers call their network a "hybrid network", I guess it mean a network with a bunch of unreliable, different and obsolete technology that are falling apart. They just refuse to admit their network is old and unreliable and on top of it they are trying to market it as a good thing. It is like saying: ”Hey! Look at our diarrhea! It is the best in the world!”

Unfortunately there are not so many choices for telecommunication provider in a given residential area, in my case it is either Rogers or Bell and both sucks.

Comments:

AppleGuy
join:2013-09-08
Canada

Mailing

Rogers can be hit and miss for sure. But I do agree with there 2 times a week mailing of junk mail asking you to buy a new cellphone, sign up for security, etc....
observer99

join:2014-07-07
Toronto, ON

rogers

This company has zero regard for their customers. I got cable internet via another provider but Rogers is the carrier. I recently disconnected my rogers TV. Instead of just disconnecting my TV only, they disconnected the entire Cable, so now I have no internet. They did this despite the fact that I specified when I called them to disconnect the TV only, not to do anything with the internet. Rogers should be broken up into carrier, and provider companies.