Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by UltraSound See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "free technician repair, free moving charges"
Bad "low cap, high price, no referral policy"
Overall "Finally broke the Rogers chains"

I am technically savvy but quite easy on Internet usage. With Rogers since 10+ years. Currently having Fiber60, I am Ok with the speed, never bothered to measure SpeedTest. I noticed sometimes there are connection issues or slowdown but these were either rare or bearable for me. What I can't stand is the 120GB cap. Once or twice a year I go past the cap and it was always a pain to track the bill, calling Customer Service to get the credit back. Sometimes I forgot and past 6 months, it's impossible to claim a credit.

What annoyed me is that the monthly price is already high. When my usage is way below the cap, Rogers doesn't allow me to capitalize the cap savings. As soon as I cross the 120G cap, there is merciless and exorbitant overage charges. I hung on with Rogers for so long because I could bargain a discount. But the discount is becoming thinner and thinner. Recently the best I could get is a $10 discount out of the $70 monthly.

The last drop was an overage charge in spite of my previous 10 months were all around 80% of the cap. As of now, October 2014, Start and TekSavvy offer higher cap, lower price. In particular the "30 Mbps Down, 5 Mbps Up" at $45/month. In spite of half the speed of Rogers Fiber60, which I don't mind. It is significantly cheaper than Rogers. Start even gives a cap of 200GB which I am sure I will never be bothered again by those stupid overage charges.

As a DOCCIS 3 modem is now affordable $77 at Canada Computers. Both Start Communications and TekSavvy waive the installation fees if we come from Rogers cable. I called Rogers and told them clearly I am about to cancel to give them a last chance to match competition prices. Rogers customer retention service seems not to take me seriously. I cancelled on the spot. Will probably go with Start.

In conclusion, I see no reason to stay with Rogers Internet and I hate myself for not having the courage to shop around a few years earlier.

Comments:

Review by ground See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Canadian phone support"
Bad "Very expensive, modem fees, bandwidth caps, slow in the evening"
Overall "Rogers Hi-speed is garbage"

Original Review: November 6, 2013

I go to college full-time and the difference between my school internet and my Rogers connection at home is dramatic. When I get home in the evening I feel like I traveled 30 years back in time and that my internet is 33.6k dial-up all over again. Heck, I even stay in the library late so I can use the school's fast internet to complete all of my assignments and submit them on time, can't rely on Rogers in the evening, which goes up and down as it pleases. Their DNS is a disaster, it just stops resolving hosts all of a sudden and my internet quietly dies. And also don't forget bandwidth caps, which they call "usage allowance" as if we are in a Nazi concentration camp somewhere. I'm so paranoid that I have 2 separate programs monitoring my bandwidth so that I don't go over their pathetic limit. Otherwise their warning messages will be all over my computer. What a joke!

===================================================

UPDATE: October 5, 2014

Well, we cancelled Rogers Hi-Speed Internet in August 2014 because of the overages fees. We had Lite package with 25GB per month and they charged us over $500CAD for overages, which is crazy. Now we don't have internet at all and I have to rely on school internet to submit my assignments. Everybody in my family is scared to order internet from anybody else because of the charges we had from Rogers. I am looking to order another internet, preferably DSL and putting it under my name.

member for 6.7 years, 777 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

kn00tcn
zero-zero

join:2006-04-19
Canada

robbers

well if the package says 25gb, i dont see how anyone can expect not to go over it...

but i thought rogers had a max overage of $50 or something? at the very least i think they had a $35 unlimited option that you can add to any plan

obviously a third party provider will have a fair price so that's the only sane way to go

dsl is a good idea if you're in the right location so you might as well try it (my current dsl is solid 6mbit down for quite a few years, no slowdowns, no packet loss, at most some 2-3am very specific outages a couple times a year when bell works on something... i'm pretty positive my line is on a remote instead of directly to the CO)

Review by rrt2008 See Profile

• Location: Keswick,ON
Good "Have had 2 outages in over 6"
Bad "Not competitive. Horrible customer service"
Overall "Teksavy offers the same plan for $15 less per month, their 35/3 plan"

·TekSavvy TekTalk
Had their service for almost 8 years. Connection was good with minimal outages. Got tired of having to drop the C-bomb (cancel) every year to get a decent rate. Switched to Teksavvy and I'm getting higher speeds for less $. Don't use them. Go with a TPIA or go without. Just stay away from Rogers

Comments:

Review by herglod See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Not reliable at all!!!"
Overall "God save us from them!"

·TekSavvy Cable
I had 3 service interruption in the last 2 months and they were due to the fact the cable line was cut accidentally. It also happened before (previous years).

Normally someone could say this is the fault of the person who cut the cable(...), but the reality is the cable in my street are supposed to be properly buried underground, however Rogers do "temporary" cable repair by hanging the cables in the trees.

This situation is common for many people in my street and I don't understand after more than 2 years why Rogers hasn't repaired things properly.

All my recent service outages mentioned above are a result of improper cable repair and it is really unacceptable.

Also, the reason I also evaluated the "Pre Sales information" to "worst" is because they keep sending me junk mail in my postal mailbox with offers to subscriber to Rogers Cable TV... but I am already with Rogers Cable TV!!! Can you stop sending spam??? Don't you even know who is an existing subscriber or not? I fill my recycle bin every week of junk like that!

I am wondering why company such as Rogers are still in business today.

They are just there to have the monopole, make a lot of profit, steal money from customers and slow down the evolution of technology in general.

I had internet&TV since roughly year 1995 with different ISPs and providers, and I never had a service as unreliable as what I am getting with Rogers.

Rogers call their network a "hybrid network", I guess it mean a network with a bunch of unreliable, different and obsolete technology that are falling apart. They just refuse to admit their network is old and unreliable and on top of it they are trying to market it as a good thing. It is like saying: ”Hey! Look at our diarrhea! It is the best in the world!”

Unfortunately there are not so many choices for telecommunication provider in a given residential area, in my case it is either Rogers or Bell and both sucks.

Comments:

AppleGuy
join:2013-09-08
Canada

Mailing

Rogers can be hit and miss for sure. But I do agree with there 2 times a week mailing of junk mail asking you to buy a new cellphone, sign up for security, etc....
observer99

join:2014-07-07
Toronto, ON

rogers

This company has zero regard for their customers. I got cable internet via another provider but Rogers is the carrier. I recently disconnected my rogers TV. Instead of just disconnecting my TV only, they disconnected the entire Cable, so now I have no internet. They did this despite the fact that I specified when I called them to disconnect the TV only, not to do anything with the internet. Rogers should be broken up into carrier, and provider companies.

Review by nekkidtruth See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Fast, Reliable and Decent Customer Service"
Bad "Pricing"
Overall "Rogers has the speed and the reliability, prices are too high."

·WIND Mobile
Update 05/26/14: I'm still with Rogers. They have once again revamped their tiers and in my case, my bill dropped about $5/month for more speed. I do pay an abnormally high amount for my connection which is unlimited. I'm still interested in the TPIA's and will definitely move over once I see a dramatic drop in complaints over the change over (ie. Botched installs, days without a connection, congestion etc).

Update 01/22/12: Recently moved and took Rogers with me. I debated using this opportunity to switch to TekSavvy, but after a bit of research I decided to stick with Rogers. I don't enjoy paying the monthly fee that I do, but I haven't had connectivity issues with Rogers in years. My speeds have been totally consistent and I've had 0 down time in over a year. Maybe I'll call in and see if they'll lower my monthly rate for a while.

I am however also not a fan of the caps. There's no reason for them to exist. The monthly pricing and the traffic-shaping/caps are really the two things that bug the most. If Rogers can bring those 2 things to a level that's reasonable, they probably wouldn't have so many disgruntled customers.

Update 04/08/11: It's been a while since I updated my review. Services are basically the same. My connection is rock solid and reliable. Unfortunately, Rogers still shapes traffic and still has low caps although they are currently raising them slightly.

Overall, it's not worth the money. It's been proven there is no congestion issue, so the caps and traffic shaping does nothing but hinder services for no reason.

I've been thinking of possibly going to TekSavvy....We'll see what happens.

Update 11/08/07: There are rumors the caps are going to be lowered. This is unacceptable. The caps are already unreasonable. I suspect they'll lose a lot of customers should this actually be the case. I'm getting fantastic speeds, but I do not appreciate being capped, regardless of whether I reach said caps or not.

I don't use torrents so the throttling doesn't effect me, but I highly disagree with throttling.

Rogers...leave our connections alone. Give us what we pay for and stop telling us what we can and can't do with the Internet connection we pay a small fortune for you to provide us.

Old Review:

I've had Rogers for approximately 7 months now. I switched over from IGS because in my area I was unable to get more than 1784/600 on DSL. I spoke numerous times with Bell as well as IGS and came to the conclusion that after waiting almost 5 years for my area to be upgraded, it just wasn't going to happen.

The installation took about an hour if that. We also had Rogers Home Phone and 2 Digital Cable boxes installed at the same time.

I currently have the Rogers High-Speed Extreme packaged which was originally 6000/800. Recently they have upgraded and my package has been bumped up to 8000/800.

My most recent speedtest shows me as getting:

7940/815 (I consistently get 7500+)

I pay $55.95/month for this service and it has been AWESOME thus far.

I realize Rogers isn't always a viable option as their services do tend to suck in a lot of areas. Thankfully, my area no longer sucks.

Thank you Rogers. After years of paying $54/month for sub-par DSL services, it's nice to finally get my moneys worth.

member for 12.4 years, 3196 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by DJtml See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Reliable, quality customer service in the beggining"
Bad "Horrendous CS, black channels constantly until 30 min reboot"
Overall "CRTCs fault for allowing BIG 3"

Been with rogers since 2006 for multiple services on and off. Over the years the customer service and technical support has deteriorated severely. It took me over an hour just to get my cancellation order put threw. 3 days later i decided to use my rewards points before my services ended, but was unable to redeem. So i decided to call and find out why, well, while the first rep couldnt do anything about it, I asked for a manager. I was put on hold for about 30 mins before one came. During that time they removed my access to the rogers.com account and rewards account then proceeded to tell me they couldn't do anything about it, yet my services still was paid for 30 more days. Its obvious during my wait they deactivated my access to resolve the issue and act like they don't know what happened. Its shady tactics like this that make the BIG 3 the worst company's out there. and as i type this my cable TV is stuttering like crazy, even tho it never used to until i called to cancel.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Comments:
sauga_1

join:2014-02-05

I had the same issue

I had to face the same issue when i cancelled my internet service. i have all kind of internet issue started right after the day i cancelled the internet. stay away from this red R company.

Review by Treegravy See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Steady uptime for most of 10+ years"
Bad "CAPS are bad mmmkay."
Overall "Reasonable if you're not a power gamer or a downloader or Netflixer"

We're old subscribers from the Rogers@Home days when there were no such things as 'allowances'. The service has always been reasonably reliable and as such when an outage occurred it's been a surprise. That still holds true for the most part. We've never had to rely on Rogers' technical support for any clients that we needed configuring and never used the Rogers provided software from day one. I wouldn't recommend installing any of that since available third party tools are readily available that do a better job of managing your service and security than what's provided.

I took extreme issue with Rogers initially instituting allowances and downgraded our service at that time. When the fees became too high for that downgraded service we downgraded our service again. When Rogers lowered their allowances for new subscribers just as Netflix entered the Canadian market it signalled to us that it was time to consider alternatives.

Update May 2013:

We've sent our notice in and are currently awaiting activation from a competitor of Rogers' service. We undertook to change providers since Rogers doesn't care to honour a deal that we negotiated in good faith with them in order to retain our business. Specifically we were assured that the package and price we agreed to included a free modem rental for a year since we would have to move to a DOCSIS 3 device. Upon getting our first bill we noted the rental charge of seven ($7) dollars and promptly called to remind them of the bargain we'd struck. They were adamant that the modem rental wasn't included and since they wouldn't bend on that point we felt the service would have no value to us and proceeded with the cancellation process.

member for 3.5 years, 997 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

toronto7878

@bell.ca

Experiences in Rogers Services

A month ago, I moved my internet connection to Rogers and have been a disappointment ever since. Connection wasn't working because the modem Rogers tech gave me was different from their system so I was bumped to 3 different departments before someone was competent enough to change my model # to the recent one. Until now, I have been having bad internet connection in different times of the day and thinking of switching to a different provider. Stay away from Rogers Hi Speed internet. Not worth the headache and service is very bad.

Review by KoganIZ See Profile

• Location: Thornhill,ON
Good "They connected me at the same day I contacted them"
Bad "Expensive, not reliable, low caps, cancellation policy"
Overall "I wouldn't recommend it"

·Start Communicat..
I switched to Rogers from TekSavvy (it's not a joke) 2 months ago, when TekSavvy had an outage for a couple of days and they didn't know when it's coming back, and I needed the internet back ASAP.

I had no choice, bit go to Rogers, that connected me at the same day, and the price wasn't much higher than I paid with TekSavvy. The internet was not as great as they promised. The connection dropped every evening several times for a couple of minutes. My kids complained about it all the time.

Despite that, I was happy having "reliable" Rogers internet, until I checked my usage meter. I realized that my bill will is going to be much higher than I expected it to be.

The same day I called Rogers and told them I can't afford it, and asked for a bigger cap (for reasonable money of course), and I have been offered the unlimited cap, for almost twice the money I paid...

I reminded them that I can't afford the internet as is, and I'm looking for a discount, and they had nothing better to offer me. So I told them I want to disconnect. Here came the 30-days cancellation policy. I used the internet for 3 days, and had to pay for the entire month, and of course use it risking to go over the cap and pay more (or don't use it, and loose the money). This is why I put 1 month contract into the Contract Term.

Bottom line: expansive, not reliable.

PS. Today I have got another bill - $113.00. I have been with Rogers for 32 days, and paid 65 + 113 = $178. Called them to ask why I got 2 bills in one month, the told me the $113 for overusing the cap

ROGERS - NEVER AGAIN!

Comments:
dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
·ITalkBB

Cable not good? Try DSL

A good idea when a isp of one kind of service doesn't work, try the other kind.

It's always about location, So a DSL connection might help over Cable, but again it really depends on location.

Within the GTA and you have a good chance, outside the GTA, not so good chance.

MichaelM

Rogers would not honor their offer for the HI-speed Internet Express

download2013-11-11 O···ould not 853,425 bytes
(2013-11-11 Offer for HI-speed Internet express Rogers would not honor - no name.)
On Nov 10, 2013 we (me and my wife) received Rogers offer for the HI-speed Internet Express service which according to Rogers includes: 3 months FREE and for $35/month thereafter, 100 GB of data a month, modem rental included no term commitment, including all monthly fees and free installation.
I call them today (Ticket #: I665256486) and I learned that this offer was not intended for me (?!), allegedly ONLY for the new and existing customers who do not have HI-speed Internet Express and that I, as the old customer with the same HI-speed Internet Express Service, received the offer by mistake (as I am responsible for my account information in their obviously dis-functional IT department).
What made me angry was the fact that this offer is almost TWICE cheaper than it is the same service I pay right now (with all discounts I have for 3 services with them is currently about $48/mth for 80GB/mth) and that Rogers obviously takes old customers for granted and treat them as stupid idiots who get punished for their (obviously) stupid loyalty and who are putting up with their lousy Internet service at times (when people come home and usage increases).
Even more surprising is because the marketing analysis is saying that it is 10 TIMES more expensive to acquire the new customer than to retain the existing ones and in that light, it is cheaper to incentivise the loyal ones at least to the level of the new ones than to lose them because they (Rogers) threat them like idiots.
As their standard cable digital package does not have any value anyway, the movie rentals are even twice more expensive than the RedBox rentals not to mention the cost of Netflix or similar service if you have the Roku box or similar device (about $100 or cheaper) and then you can watch what you want much cheaper than their cable service. Of course, they have almost monopoly on the Internet service they provide to the Canadian market and the only way how to change that fact is to organize ourselves, call our MP's and request them to eliminate obstacles for American competition to bring the quality services to our market. Any suggestions?
dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15

Re: Rogers would not honor their offer for the HI-speed Internet Express

If you paid any attention to how businesses work, it's sorta like phishing.

M_M

Re: Rogers would not honor their offer for the HI-speed Internet Express

I think, it is due to the fact that the size and consequent growth of company bureaucracy in almost all big enterprises are becoming seeds of their own demise. You can't expect common sense and business logic to prevail in such environment. They are doomed as dinosaurs were in the past, neurosignals took too long to get to their brain to react adequately to imminent danger, unless they succeed in protecting their monopolies on the market making alliances with politics and preventing a competition ...
I think we would all be better off without monopolies of Bells, Rogers, ....

Review by nsts See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,ON
Good "Not much."
Bad "Price gouging, random inexplicable charges, terrible customer service, ignorant/untrained/outsourced staff, borderline unethical"
Overall "I'd rather be on dialup if Rogers ever becomes the 'only' choice."

·WIND Mobile
$2.00 modem rental. After 5+ years, you still pay the $2 rental.

I had both Express and Extreme internet and later downgraded to Lite, because ontop of paying nearly $60/mo, they still penalize you for GB overages. So I controlled my downloading in hopes of saving money.

Occasionally, I'd be slapped with inexplicable overages on both my mobile phone and my internet.. but generally, after I complained, I was credited. I hear the same horror stories from everyone I know that is/ever was a Rogers customer. I believe they add odd charges because the odd person won't notice. They probably make a mint off what appears to be a strange $0.40 or $1.20 charge to several thousand customers. They did the same with long distance phone calls on my mobile phone.. numbers my call log showed as never dialed/received, etc.

At the end of my 3-year contract for my mobile phone*, I asked Rogers if they could price-match Teksavvy's package, which is exactly the same as Lite but double the bandwidth and half the cost.. after putting me on hold for 15 minutes, the tech comes back with a $49/mo price... more than I was currently paying.

I also mentioned that I had a basic cable package for the last several years that I'd tried to cancel repeatedly, I was always told by everyone I dealt with, that Cable TV is required for cable internet and I could not have one without the other.... when I mentioned this to the Rogers' "retention specialist", I was then informed that I COULD have cable TV canceled while keeping the internet!!! Even so, Rogers' Lite is STILL double the cost with less bandwidth than Teksavvy for the same speed.

I immediately called Teksavvy to set up and that is where the fun begins.. for a detailed report of Rogers' hostility, view the forum topic: »[Ultra/Lite] Rogers Bullies when cancelling

To make a long story short, if you have money to burn, enjoy being treated like a bottom-feeder by staff that aren't properly trained to handle the most basic technical situations.. then by all means, go with Rogers.

Oh, and instead of Rogers changing things around and learning from their mistakes.. (Rogers' internet is reliable, for the most part. Their customer service and technical staff need a major overhaul.. addressing these two issues could go a long way with customer retention) - inexpensive solutions, really.... but instead, they unleash a crybaby ad campaign trying to tell consumers it would be "unfair" to allow Verizon to bid on wireless spectrum and come to Canada etc etc etc... AND... this: »Is Rogers Slowly Crushing Indie ISP TekSavvy Through Inaction?

Of course, Rogers denies it. After the experience I had with Rogers upon trying to switch to Teksavvy certainly makes me believe all of the troubles Teksavvy is having with Rogers is intentional.

I signed up with Teksavvy knowing full well what was going on and I expected the transition to be bumpy, but I'm willing to put up with it just to get away from dealing with Rogers directly - plus, thanks to Wind Mobile and my UNLIMITED data plan (...also HALF THE COST of Rogers' mobile, and I have loads of more features.... which I am using to post this on my PC through my Blackberry's internet) I have a backup internet source, should Rogers be up to their old tricks again.

If you're considering Rogers, do your sanity a favor and go somewhere else!! Teksavvy and Start.ca are good cable alternatives with friendlier staff and reasonable prices.

Slightly off-subject: I've met a lot of former-Rogers staff recently and I learned that support staff each have an individual budget of $300 they can use to credit customer accounts (and they get heckled by upper management when they use it), and sales staff (instore and phone) are encouraged to milk customers in exchange for commissions. None of the former Rogers staff were the least bit surprised when I detail my cancellation experience... which cues to me that this is a common practice Rogers does to discourage customers from fleeing to resellers/wholesalers like Teksavvy and Start.ca

If you're a disgruntled Rogers customers stuck in a contract, try this: »smartcanucks.ca/how-to-terminate···cts-now/ --- wish I saw this before I finished my contract.. the amount of money I could have saved myself is painful to think about.

*I had a package deal on the phone/tv/internet bundle. (Or, so one would believe!) Such a "deal" wasn't really a 'deal' at all..

member for 1.1 years, 28 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Salvador rey

The worst service ever.

I have been with Roger for the past 6 years, but stupid me to wait for so long to realize that their cable services are the worst. Now I came from work at 12:30, and I star to see my shows at that time.Now I got the new digital box nad the service is a cheat.They cut my viewing at 2
:05 Am everyday.

Review by ChappyHappy See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Tech callout fee is included in monthly fee."
Bad "Erratic service. Expensive. Speed slower than advertised. Overage fees. Low caps."
Overall "Only got it cause of tech callout fee. Else I'd go with Indy ISP."

Old 'Express': 10 down/0.512 up/60gb
New 'Express': 25 down/2 up/80gb

With Rogers for 14+ years and recently switched to their new DOCSIS 3.0 plans. Only switched cause the old plan was 60gb and new was 80gb for SAME PLAN NAME. God knows why I HAD TO switch (pay extra $5) to get the extra 20gb when it's not limited by the old DOCSIS 2.0 modem...

It promised faster speeds, which wasnt noticeable at all. I'd assume at least a more stable connection, but speeds are closer to dial-up speeds and simple sites such as google searches and facebook take 10mins to load and frequently timeout. Was able to stream from youtube at 720p on old plan, but now settling for 240p or 360p due to the constant buffering.

Price is a rip off also. Looking at their other packages, the Express is $1/gb, while the faster and more expensive Ultimate are $0.5/gb. Their Lite package is worst with $2.5/gb. Obviously the Indy ISP's value is significantly better in comparison.

Cant say much about install as I only had to go to a store to trade in old modem for new modem. The process took longer than expected though...even with no line-up...bunch of typing something on the computer.

Any of the Indy ISP would give better value. They have higher initial costs, but would save more around the 10month mark. The only reason I didnt switch is the tech callout fee is included (in the overpriced monthly fee).

Another 'issue' is that Rogers seems to be purposely sabotaging the Indy ISP's customer that are piggybacking Rogers network.

All things considered, I would suggest Bell...or better yet, a DSL Indy instead of cable.

I'm expecting an hour of haggling on the phone to keep the 20% discount next year (I know loads of people who are able to get 50% off). When I get fed up, I'll instantly switch over to an Indy DSL.