Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by LSTA See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "As fast as I can get; reliable; price just dropped (for lucky few)"
Bad "It's Rogers. Their site goes offline at 2am; you have to read all the fine print."
Overall "Sign up for 250mbps only; everyone else go to Start.ca -- cheaper & friendly"

I'll note that until two weeks ago, I was paying $142-144 each month. At this point I would only sign up with them for the 250mbps plan at $99/mth with free advanced modem rental. If you can't get that, don't bother, go with Start.ca or another third-party reseller of the prior 150/10 plans.

So yeah, Rogers is Rogers. They're fantastic if you absolutely know what you're doing, keep testing your equipment and reading the specs, and ultimately can prove via tech support that you're not on the right plan via speed tests by ethernet.

My speeds, since last September, have consistently blown past what Rogers advertises. I was getting 220mbps on non-speedtest sites with the 150 plan thanks to SpeedBoost, and I get 327mbps now on the 250/20 plan. 9ms ping, 3ms jitter. Of course, this is over ethernet.

My only problem with Rogers are how you have to keep fighting them to get the best value. I'm certain in 3 months prices will rise again, perhaps no more free modem rental, and the cycle will start again. Rogers has been raising the wholesale rates on TPIAs for the 250 plan, and it's unclear if Rogers modems are compatible with the Rogers network when it comes to TPIAs. I've argued up to the office of the president that they should be compatible, and all I got was "if the TPIA says it's not compatible, we can't make them use it" which is completely backwards.

But like the wireless network, I keep on ending up back at Rogers because they really do offer the best network (at least for Ontario), both 3G/LTE and Cable. That said, I know how to play the game now, after 8 years with Rogers. So I'm on the Manitoba plan with Fido, formerly with Koodo, both month-to-month (FYI: No more 30 days cancel notice now for cellular!!!). And I called to complain about my internet pricing when I finally learned of the new pricing.

Ultimately, if you don't invest the time, Rogers is happy to take your dime... and you'll never get anything of value from them.

Comments:

Review by koreyb See Profile

• Location: East York,ON
Good "Reliable, full service supplier... Reasonable deal (that I was able to get), FREE MOVE OF SERVICE"
Bad "Normal prices are awful, LARGE faceless company"
Overall "Nice when you get a win back deal, normal prices are not worth it."

·VMedia
After many years, of being with TPIA Cable providers and Wholesale DSL providers, and many win back offers by Rogers before, ROGERS finally came out with a great WIN BACK offer, I just couldn't refuse, especially with an upcoming move.

3 months for free, $45 + tax after, 35x3 mb service, free install, free modem rental, no contract.

The service was exactly the same really as I had in the past from TPIA providers, accept it is clear Rogers treats their own customers with higher priority, offers speedboost, and overall seems to put more effort to providing the service.

I recently moved, and free moving really was a nice touch.

Sadly, with the move, we ended up taking a place, where OTA TV isn't fully available, and are in need for a TV service.

I got a great offer from another company for TV and internet, which Rogers couldn't match (not even close), so after the ridiculous 30 day cancellation period, I will be leaving again..

If you can get a great deal, and only want Internet, I would recommend them, as speeds where consistently fast and service as actually good. Less headaches with the games played by Rogers against TPIA customers. It just works. If you need TV with your internet, shop around....

member for 9.9 years, 1911 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

nekkidtruth
YISMM
join:2002-05-20
London, ON

Curious...

You don't make note of your cap. This is an important piece of the price puzzle.
Weeeeeee
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON

The Cap

The deal I got had 300 gigs a month...
delius

join:2006-07-30
Dorchester, ON

Re: The Cap

Have same internet plan. Fyi who did u choose for tv. No ota here couple of. Stations only

Review by Triple Helix See Profile

• Location: Oshawa,ON
Good "Great Speed and Sevice on the New Hybrid Fibre Optic 150/15 Plan"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Very, Very Good"
(ratings well above consensus)

I'm very happy with there service for the last 15 years and would not go back to Bell!

Thanks Rogers

I have been on the new Hybrid Fibre Optic 150MB down and 15MB up and getting speeds almost 160 to 170MB down with the new Hitron CG3N Modem - Router via Wireless 5G no connection problems and great wireless N distance and of course speed!

Triple Helix

member for 7.4 years, 2005 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MJB

join:2012-01-29

Rogers sucks

ROGERS SUCKS SINCE IT'S EXPENSIVE... THROTTLING.... UBB ( 100 dollars more) for extra usage

better to go to teksavvy or start communications
Expand your moderator at work

Rogers Sux

@teksavvy.com

Worst company ever! Save your money!

Rogers will sell you services at higher prices than their competitors and then throttle your speeds based on usage. Giving priority to their own network traffic by slowing down traffic to sites like Netflix. Not only that, if they detect outbound traffic from your modem, they'll throttle your speed and your latency will go up to 500 ms. What a pitiful company that can only survive by screwing their customers and lobbying the CRTC to make decisions that favour corporations.
dan mackay

join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON

modem routers suck

enjoy your shitty modem/router combo and overages

Triple Helix
Troll Hunter
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON

Re: modem routers suck

My SMC Gateway has been working flawlessly sorry but I can't agree with you.

TH

Pabist

@rogers.com

Rogers Express

I have Rogers Express unlimited i believe it is only 25/2 mbps but download speed is usually higher around 32mbps, except when traffic is high then it is dropping below 20 unusually around 17. However speed is good enough for me to download torrent at around 3mbps (i never experienced any speed throttling with rogers, my download is usually sick fast i can download 4GB in 9 min.) my kids watch episode on YT and i can speak on my teksavvy voip phone without static noise. I chat recently with tech support first time in 8 yrs. tech was here next day after winter he replaced a connector in outside distribution box. Once a year i call loyalty dept. and negotiate a price unlimited for $77.48 modem and taxes included. Before taxes it is about 67 bucks. I am planing to callback and try to switch again to newer unlimited hybrid 30/5 without price hike i am not locked with any contract and can cancel at anytime. I don't know why someone would need 125mbps line for $125, is it possible to utilize that much bandwidth in average home? I know Canadian internet and wireless services are priced as one of the highest in developed world and we need more player in the market but for now my suggestion is try not to keep all services with one company because if you do then i think it would be difficult to negotiate price once you are locked in with 2 yr plans on 2-3 phones and cable + internet they know it would be hard to leave them, especially with wireless and most they give you if you ask would be 5 bucks off. I am in Mississauga so i can get teksavvy or start.ca or bell but for now I will stay with rogers with discounts and free modem unlimited price is somewhat compatible and support is better in case there is an issue.

P.

Review by hurleyp See Profile

• Location: Ottawa, ON
Good "Reliability"
Bad "None I can think of"
Overall "It just works!"

High speed options in my area are either Bell DSL or Rogers Cable. (Wireless is an option, I suppose, but I'm not interested at this time.) In reality, Bell DSL is not very fast because of distance limitations, so Rogers is the best option. I can say that the service is solid and reliable. I would estimate that the service is down for no more than for a total of one hour per year. I don't make use of the Rogers-specific Internet features so I can't comment on them. I use the Hitron CGN2-ROG cable modem in bridge mode connected to a Netgear WNDR3700.

member for 14.5 years, 5075 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by AppleGuy See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Good price, if you can haggle or get the offer."
Bad "300GB cap...make people happy make it 500GB at least"
Overall "You gotta play ball with Rogers, you might end up with some happiness."

·WIND Mobile
Been with Rogers for years....years I tell you, after my personal hell from Bell and the ever increasing limiting my speed.
Rogers has increased my speed 10-fold. So I'm happy.
I am NOT happy with increase after increase after increase so I go to cancel.
DR;TL -- so I'll skip everything else, I managed to get $45/month 30/3 300GB internet for 8-years, no contract, modem included.

TPIA can't match. Sorry Teksavvy. I so wanted to be with you...But for now, I have to stick Rogers. $45 is a killer price for 8 years.

member for 1.2 years, 527 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by gotak See Profile

• Location: L6G 0C5
Good "Not as bad as their reputation would have you think"
Bad "Pricing is high unless you get a deal"
Overall "More stable than 3rd party like TekSavvy, potentially cost more and more of a hassle to maintain your deal"

·TekSavvy DSL
Historically I was a Rogers customers (8 years I think) until I moved out when I got married. I can't remember any downtime lasting longer than 1 sleep.

We went with TekSavvy at our condo and kept it when we moved into our house. And it was never the fire and forget experience that is with Rogers. We primarily went to TekSavvy to try and get a no hassle internet solution with good bandwidth caps. The only problem was there was a lot of hassle. Firstly they don't control the infrastructure so a simple thing like pushing out new firmware to the modem they can't do. And they will not support any modem they didn't sell themselves. As a result we had random 10 second disconnections. Not a huge issue but could be annoying if you are doing things like skype or facetime. And of course with the recent spades of troubles for TekSavvy they were out of service for us for 4 days while our neighbours with Rogers kept downloading and surfing. And with no good technical support and basically no answer as to what was going on. We switched.

Surprised where we that Rogers first of all offered us a no-contract plan that is cheaper than the equivalent speed and bandwidth cap plan from TekSavvy. And it was online within hours of ordering it from Rogers. It took 2 weeks for our first TekSavvy connection to go online. What's even more surprising was the Rogers people we have been dealing with have been more pleasant than the TekSavvy people.

So overall I think Rogers is actually not as bad as people think. Yeah they have some issue with their business practices that makes them seem dishonest. But that can be easily over looked after 4 days of no internet.

Update:

Rogers charged 2 installation and activation fee they said they will not charge. Now some would say this must mean bad things but actually it's another positive. The call to billing were connected right away and the refund was given without any arguments. The reps were helpful and polite while my last few calls to TekSavvy has been negative with angry sounding people on the other end. Hell has frozen I am sure...

Comments:
Ozykz

join:2013-03-30
Salford, ON

Start communications

Have you looked at start communications? They are a rogers re-seller, and they have a almost spotless track record, and have really great technical support.
gotak

join:2011-05-17
L6G 0C5

Re: Start communications

And they at this moment costs more then Rogers. But I know of them and will keep them in mind.

abitbent

join:2004-04-23
Brantford, ON

Re: Start communications

I doubt Rogers will do better or match Start without you being locked into a contract.
chall2k56

join:2007-10-03
Edmonton, AB

Rogers Disrespectable Business Practices

and that is exactly what Rogers wants you to believe, they can and should fix most of the iisp's outages within minutes, they chose to wait and drag their heels in hopes of winning back former customers like yourself
gotak

join:2011-05-17
L6G 0C5

Re: Rogers Disrespectable Business Practices

So what? They cost less and they are providing service. That's all I need to know. If TSI can't give me what I need in service, they don't deserve anything no matter what the underlying causes are.

Review by KyraReaper See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Mostly reliable, decent price package, very helpful support, some great deals"
Bad "Went down sometimes, initial setup was a frustrating process"
Overall "A little expensive, but worth the money if you get a good package"

·TekSavvy DSL
I got a package with rogers during the Student plan offerings. $48 a month for 300 GB of internet and an 8 month contract (A steal for a house full of college students)

The internet was good when it was running. There were a few outages, I think about 4 in the time we had it. Usually the entire province was out, but the service was restored in 6-24 hours, which isn't too bad.

Order process was super easy and sales was really helpful. I just went into a store after seeing the advertisement and got the deal with no issues.

While the outages always managed to be at really bad times like exams, they were fixed fairly quickly, and usually happened at night or in the evening. Support was helpful in answering any questions if I called for any reason, like internet problems.

Upload speeds were extremely poor, but with the price of our package, I really can't complain. I think it was less than 1 Mbps upload, so a word document ended up taking 10 minutes to upload.

All in all, I'd recommend them. They are expensive for a good package, but they do provide good service if you can stand the occasional outage. If it weren't for the prices and poor packages I would still be using them.

Comments:

Review by toro See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Quite reliable"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Good if you can negotiate a good price, not the advertised ones"

·Bell Sympatico
Switched from Bell to Rogers a couple months ago because of a better deal Rogers offered me. I had to give Bell 30 days notice and there was no problem to schedule the Rogers install just one day before the end of the 30 day Bell notice.

The install window was 3 hours and the tech showed up in the first half hour and finished quite quickly because he didn't have to lay any new cables.

The package I got is 35/3 with 200 GB bandwidth included. This is enough for me as my average is just 50-60 GB per month. They said they will guarantee my price for 8 years. That's the part I don't trust but if they keep their word I will stay.

I did numerous speed tests at different times of the day and the download speed is always between 50-70 MB (because of their speed boost). I am probably in a neighborhood with not too many heavy users.

I used to be a fan for a local 3rd party ISP (and I still think they are great) but at this time this just made more sense to me. The price I am paying is currently lower than third party ISPs and I didn't have to pay for modem, installation or stay home for 2-3 days for the install tech to come.

member for 8.8 years, 3316 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
oldspammer

join:2004-08-28
Kanata, ON

Google sustained speed test

Google sustained speed test
You will find various suggestions. All that is needed is to have a transfer up or down to a remote server that exceeds the speed boost data size.
When I do this sustained test, instead of Docsis 2.0 35 DL / 1 UL on Rogers, I was getting as low as 4 DL / 430 kbps UL after the speed boost was worn out.
In online gaming for first person shooters, the enemy can see me drop shot, get back up, drop again before I even can pull the trigger. The only way I can cope is to shoot from a distance in a way the enemy can't see me. There are all sorts of gaming skills I could have developed had my internet lag been a lot less. I've had Rogers Cable TV since the 1970s when the price was $4 to $6 per month. Gave my notice to quit all services two weeks ago. My recent yearly cost was about $2,200 and climbing.
For live sports, I'm looking into FTA & OTA PVR receivers / dishes / etc. Acanac cable TPIA is my plan with unlimited caps and new Docsis 3.0 modem. Doubt that my gaming lag will improve, however, but costs will drop a lot.
Final straw was them flagging my owned Docsis 2.0 modem for black listing because they thought it was giving poor lower frequency band output--turns out there was a break or deterioration in the cable line going from the box into my house at a point 40% from the box that was causing the trouble. The provided replacement Docsis 2.0 modem could not even connect so they were forced to put in a new line from the box and I'm stuck with an inferior modem after surrendering my better one to them.
toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

Re: Google sustained speed test

Just downloaded an 700 MB ISO from mirrors.kernel.org (who I know have a very fast pipe). The average speed was about 5 MByte/s

Review by marknotmarc See Profile

• Location: Gloucester,ON
Good "Installed the next day. Modem rental included. Bandwidth cap increased."
Bad "Install and activation fee"
Overall "Very satisfied at present"

·TekSavvy DSL
The deal I got with Rogers was a new customer no contract offer. It was not posted online, but found out about it when I was in a Rogers store. the Express 35/3 package with a 200 GB allowance, modem rental included for 8 years for $45 a month.

My average download speed with speedboost has been far exceeding the tier I have been assigned.

I ordered at 7 pm on a Saturday and a tech installed the next day. He ran new cables, attached new splitters, and replaced the connectors in the wall plates. Very thorough.

I left Rogers in 2008 when they were packet shaping my VPN connection to work and blocking ports preventing me from running some web services from home. All these issues are now gone and I am very satisfied with the service and price.

The only small complaint I have is the activation fee. The contract they have you sign has all the pricing information included in a table, including the install fee, but within the verbiage of the contract further down there is an activation fee of $14.95. I am unsure of what this fee is for and why it is not included in the summary table next to the installation fee.

Comments:

Review by dgass See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Free D3 Modem rental, Faster UL than old D2. Now have unlimited"
Bad "Still see nightly congestion and high ping"
Overall "With the retention offer, not worth switching to an IISP at this time"

·TekSavvy DSL
With the bump to Extreme at the Express price with the unlimited tagged on and a free D3 rental. It now makes little sense to switch to an IISP. If however in the future they remove the unlimited option I will switch.

Ping is still much worse that VDSL from the same location. UL is better at 3Mbps now up from 512K

Had rogers at this location since it was originally called wave. Then switched to @home just prior to install.