Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by blacken See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Good upload speed, ping"
Bad "Can't reach 250mbit even on the right profile"
Overall "Decent but expensive"

Rogers has provided reliable internet. Unfortunately the discounts previously offered have disappeared and are not offered. My price jumped 50% but I don't have any other options due to poor quality bell copper in the neighbourhood.

Comments:

Review by Soiduts See Profile

• Location: Ontario
Good "Decent speed profiles"
Bad "Bandwidth Caps, Price, Service, Policies"
Overall "Terrible ISP - Support a 3rd Party ISP Instead"

August 2014
------------
Rogers botched up an installation down the street and hung unsightly wires for a good 50meters via the street lights. The installation was so bad that two days later it messed up the entire neighbourhood and knocked everyone's services out for over 8 hours. Using Teksavvy Cable currently but unfortunately still at the mercy of Rogers and their techs when instances like this occur.

August 2013
------------
Have used Rogers Cable in two locations now. Overall the service provided is okay but the price and bandwidth caps make it impossible for a family to use the Internet properly. They are trying to protect their TV cable service by making Internet access a terrible experience in Canada.

DHCP Issues - Whenever Rogers is servicing an area, they set the DHCP lease time to an hour, even during the middle of the day or peak times. An avoidable complication.

Predatory Business Practices - Rogers is continually attacking smaller ISP's that are trying to provide a good service.

Terrible Tech Support - Their tech support is horrible. The tier 1 techs are useless and refuse to acknowledge issues that are caused by them such as upgrades they are conducting, RF issues or unexpected downtime. They try to blame the consumer instead. Almost impossible to get information from them or to be transferred to a tier 2 tech.

Throttling in the Past - While Rogers isn't currently throttling, they did so in the past affecting normal usage of the service.

Packet Injection - Rogers uses packet injection to give their customers information on their cap usage. ISP's should not be modifying a customers packets for any reason.

Comments:

Review by SimplePanda See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Very fast connection no few prime time slowdowns"
Bad "Latency jitters and some pretty poor network routing to some parts of the internet"
Overall "Great connection but poor customer service."

Rogers Hybrid Fibre 60 connection.

Installation was scheduled for the day after I ordered it, which was a nice surprise. Technician never arrived and I had to call at the end of the scheduled time period in order to be told that nobody was coming. They re-scheduled for the next morning.

Next morning arrives, again no technician comes to the house. They finally call 30 minutes after the end of the scheduled installation time to say that they are on their way. About an hour later, the tech arrives.

Installation was quick. No problems.

Overall connection works and performs fairly well. Tests show 90-99 Mbps downstream (speedtest.net) and 10.5Mbps upstream. Connection maintains it's performance during peak hours.

Latency is quite good but not amazing. Whereas a TekSavvy VDSL2 connection can go as low as 6ms for me to services like google.com, Rogers fluctuates/jitters heavily and can hit 20-30ms spikes. Lowest measured latency is also not as good; typically 10-12ms.

Additionally, Rogers seems to have some real issues with routing and peering depending on what you're doing on the Internet. Hurricane Electric, for example, is all over the place. Accessing HE in Toronto has you routing through Ashburn. Accessing Ashburn has you routing through Chicago. Performance isn't great either - one of the most heavily peered transit providers in the world (he.net) and I'm only able to get about 20Mbps of throughput from them.

Bell, TekSavvy and Videotron can all saturate a connection when dealing with Hurricane. If you're looking to do IPv6 tunnelling, Rogers is probably not the ISP for you. Of course, Rogers doesn't provide native IPv6. No major Canadian carriers do (the largest is TekSavvy), so this is no surprise. Canada is woefully behind on this issue.

Rogers also doesn't have local Netflix OpenConnect nodes, so while they have recently upgraded their capacity to OpenConnect at an IX facility it remains to be seen how long this performance will hold for before they need to upgrade again. As a general rule, Rogers isn't super proactive about keeping their network running well so as this upgrade saturates Netflix performance will likely begin to suffer. Something to keep an eye on.

Rogers support is probably their weakest point. Best of luck to you if you ever have to interact with their support reps. They're not super competent and they tend not to understand the things they're supporting. I've had issues ranging from reps being unable to understand the topic at hand to reps making things up and effectively lying to me about things. Not great. If you can avoid calling tech support in any way, do so.

Overall - if you can get a good deal on a package you probably can't go wrong with Rogers assuming you don't need support.

member for 11.2 years, 897 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

glenn10

@99.226.208.x

rogers keep the pvr deals

never go for a 'keep the pvr' deal from rogers. our picture intermittently froze and rogers tech support said it was the pvr but 'unfortuantely' we had 'purchased the pvr' and it was out of warranty so not their problem. no one told us that the pvr was 'purchased' when we entered the deal and now we cannot use the service we are paying for because the pvr is no good. since we now own the pvr, I also notice that our service cost did not drop!!!! they offered to rent a pvr to us at additional cost and I would have to go pick it up! I was with rogers for 20 years and this is the second disingenuous move on their part. never again!!! cancelled the service.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON

Re: rogers keep the pvr deals

I haven't had old school TV service for a long time. Internet only.

Review by chipface See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "it works"
Bad "low caps, exhorbant overage fees, throttling, dns redirects"
Overall "look elsewhere if you have the choice"

·TekSavvy Cable
Been using Robbers for over 10 years. Had my own account for about 7. I remember when I first got it, it was $45(including modem rental I believe). Now it's almost $60, with no improvements in service. I'd say it's declined if anything.

Connection:

It's reliable for the most part. Except when it comes to torrents. A torrent can have all the seeds in the world and it'll still be slow. At least their SMC gateway did its job.

Bandwidth:

Before I didn't think much of their overage charges, $1/gb or no more than $25. Whatever, I thought it was decent. Sometime in 2010 they doubled their overage charges without any notice. Unfortunately I found out the hard way one month when my bill was double. Ever since then I've been wanting to go elsewhere. And 60gb a month? That's not much to play with at all.

Another major gripe of mine is the DNS redirects. I have an extremely bad habit of mistyping URLs so I get that redirect all the time. Normally you'd just fix whatever you mistyped but nope, gotta do it all over again.

Once I found out I could get Teksavvy in my area, I called to cancel my account(stupid 30 days). Right away they guessed bandwidth was my reason(well one of them really). They offered me 30% off for six months(what a joke). They asked if there was anything they could do to get my to change my mind and when I said no they didn't press it further. But to be the douchebags they are, they limited what I can do on their website because I cancelled. I can't even pay my final bill online. Also, about a week before my disconnect date(I switched over 10 days before disconnection), they send me a letter in the mail about better managing my monthly usage, what a joke.

Honestly, you should only go with Robbers if another ISP such as Teksavvy or Acanac isn't available in your area.

member for 3.4 years, 526 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by UltraSound See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "free technician repair, free moving charges"
Bad "low cap, high price, no referral policy"
Overall "Finally broke the Rogers chains"

I am technically savvy but quite easy on Internet usage. With Rogers since 10+ years. Currently having Fiber60, I am Ok with the speed, never bothered to measure SpeedTest. I noticed sometimes there are connection issues or slowdown but these were either rare or bearable for me. What I can't stand is the 120GB cap. Once or twice a year I go past the cap and it was always a pain to track the bill, calling Customer Service to get the credit back. Sometimes I forgot and past 6 months, it's impossible to claim a credit.

What annoyed me is that the monthly price is already high. When my usage is way below the cap, Rogers doesn't allow me to capitalize the cap savings. As soon as I cross the 120G cap, there is merciless and exorbitant overage charges. I hung on with Rogers for so long because I could bargain a discount. But the discount is becoming thinner and thinner. Recently the best I could get is a $10 discount out of the $70 monthly.

The last drop was an overage charge in spite of my previous 10 months were all around 80% of the cap. As of now, October 2014, Start and TekSavvy offer higher cap, lower price. In particular the "30 Mbps Down, 5 Mbps Up" at $45/month. In spite of half the speed of Rogers Fiber60, which I don't mind. It is significantly cheaper than Rogers. Start even gives a cap of 200GB which I am sure I will never be bothered again by those stupid overage charges.

As a DOCCIS 3 modem is now affordable $77 at Canada Computers. Both Start Communications and TekSavvy waive the installation fees if we come from Rogers cable. I called Rogers and told them clearly I am about to cancel to give them a last chance to match competition prices. Rogers customer retention service seems not to take me seriously. I cancelled on the spot. Will probably go with Start.

In conclusion, I see no reason to stay with Rogers Internet and I hate myself for not having the courage to shop around a few years earlier.

Comments:

Review by ground See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Canadian phone support"
Bad "Very expensive, modem fees, bandwidth caps, slow in the evening"
Overall "Rogers Hi-speed is garbage"

Original Review: November 6, 2013

I go to college full-time and the difference between my school internet and my Rogers connection at home is dramatic. When I get home in the evening I feel like I traveled 30 years back in time and that my internet is 33.6k dial-up all over again. Heck, I even stay in the library late so I can use the school's fast internet to complete all of my assignments and submit them on time, can't rely on Rogers in the evening, which goes up and down as it pleases. Their DNS is a disaster, it just stops resolving hosts all of a sudden and my internet quietly dies. And also don't forget bandwidth caps, which they call "usage allowance" as if we are in a Nazi concentration camp somewhere. I'm so paranoid that I have 2 separate programs monitoring my bandwidth so that I don't go over their pathetic limit. Otherwise their warning messages will be all over my computer. What a joke!

===================================================

UPDATE: October 5, 2014

Well, we cancelled Rogers Hi-Speed Internet in August 2014 because of the overages fees. We had Lite package with 25GB per month and they charged us over $500CAD for overages, which is crazy. Now we don't have internet at all and I have to rely on school internet to submit my assignments. Everybody in my family is scared to order internet from anybody else because of the charges we had from Rogers. I am looking to order another internet, preferably DSL and putting it under my name.

member for 6.9 years, 832 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

kn00tcn
zero-zero

join:2006-04-19
Canada

robbers

well if the package says 25gb, i dont see how anyone can expect not to go over it...

but i thought rogers had a max overage of $50 or something? at the very least i think they had a $35 unlimited option that you can add to any plan

obviously a third party provider will have a fair price so that's the only sane way to go

dsl is a good idea if you're in the right location so you might as well try it (my current dsl is solid 6mbit down for quite a few years, no slowdowns, no packet loss, at most some 2-3am very specific outages a couple times a year when bell works on something... i'm pretty positive my line is on a remote instead of directly to the CO)

Review by DavePC See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Cheaper than TPIAs (for now), Speedboost"
Bad "The Gateway, Transit/Ping Times, Long Term Costs"
Overall "Its Rogers, connection is stable and all but... ping times."

·Start Communicat..
So, since I've moved into student housing, this is the plan I have now.

60/10, 320GB for $51 (after taxes).

Our Rogers Connection is pretty stable and has great download speeds, gateway is complete and utter crap though, switched to bridge mode the day I got it.

As for cons.. our deal expires within 8 months (will switch back to Start by then), and the ping and transit times are 20-60% worse compared to my Start Communications connection.

Sure, the connection is reliable and all, and there is speedboost, and its fast, but to be honest if you are a heavy gamer, ping times are really important.

Perfect for my needs, but the cap isn't too great.

Speaking of the cap, the rogers counting meter is either offline or works, but is around ~2GB off everyday.

Install was standard, installer was kind of lazy though.

Comments:

Review by LSTA See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "As fast as I can get; reliable; price just dropped (for lucky few)"
Bad "It's Rogers. Their site goes offline at 2am; you have to read all the fine print."
Overall "Sign up for 250mbps only; everyone else go to Start.ca -- cheaper & friendly"

I'll note that until two weeks ago, I was paying $142-144 each month. At this point I would only sign up with them for the 250mbps plan at $99/mth with free advanced modem rental. If you can't get that, don't bother, go with Start.ca or another third-party reseller of the prior 150/10 plans.

So yeah, Rogers is Rogers. They're fantastic if you absolutely know what you're doing, keep testing your equipment and reading the specs, and ultimately can prove via tech support that you're not on the right plan via speed tests by ethernet.

My speeds, since last September, have consistently blown past what Rogers advertises. I was getting 220mbps on non-speedtest sites with the 150 plan thanks to SpeedBoost, and I get 327mbps now on the 250/20 plan. 9ms ping, 3ms jitter. Of course, this is over ethernet.

My only problem with Rogers are how you have to keep fighting them to get the best value. I'm certain in 3 months prices will rise again, perhaps no more free modem rental, and the cycle will start again. Rogers has been raising the wholesale rates on TPIAs for the 250 plan, and it's unclear if Rogers modems are compatible with the Rogers network when it comes to TPIAs. I've argued up to the office of the president that they should be compatible, and all I got was "if the TPIA says it's not compatible, we can't make them use it" which is completely backwards.

But like the wireless network, I keep on ending up back at Rogers because they really do offer the best network (at least for Ontario), both 3G/LTE and Cable. That said, I know how to play the game now, after 8 years with Rogers. So I'm on the Manitoba plan with Fido, formerly with Koodo, both month-to-month (FYI: No more 30 days cancel notice now for cellular!!!). And I called to complain about my internet pricing when I finally learned of the new pricing.

Ultimately, if you don't invest the time, Rogers is happy to take your dime... and you'll never get anything of value from them.

Comments:

Review by rrt2008 See Profile

• Location: Keswick,ON
Good "Have had 2 outages in over 6"
Bad "Not competitive. Horrible customer service"
Overall "Teksavy offers the same plan for $15 less per month, their 35/3 plan"

·TekSavvy TekTalk
Had their service for almost 8 years. Connection was good with minimal outages. Got tired of having to drop the C-bomb (cancel) every year to get a decent rate. Switched to Teksavvy and I'm getting higher speeds for less $. Don't use them. Go with a TPIA or go without. Just stay away from Rogers

Comments:

Review by oceros See Profile

• Location: St Thomas,ON
Good "stable/reliable service, keep in mind this is more a rating of my neighborhood "
Bad "inflated overage costs AND super low caps = bad."
Overall "very stable in my neighborhood, way overpriced compared to the competition.. wish I had shopped around before signing 2yr term"

Ordered 25mbps speed package along with TV and cell phone as a bundle. Got a "free" (see: old) HD PVR.

The install process was VERY bumpy. Got installed. Then another tech completed a disconnect order from previous homeowner. Got reinstalled. Got another tech out to repair TV -- ended up needing to replace the HD PVR, TWICE. The first replacement tech had on him was also bad, then the next one actually worked.

The only good thing I can see about the install cluster-eff was that the re-dispatching would happen pretty quickly.

Only one service issue along the way - noticed consistent packet loss for ~2-3 seconds every 2 minutes like clockwork. Being a techie I troubleshot the hell out of it, replaced the modem/router (rogers supplied) and ruled out all my equipment. Every 2 mins all packets would drop for about 3 seconds. Not a real problem for typical browsing but it would make gaming extremely frustrating. Rogers brushed this off completely, and when I gave them the issue on a silver platter they basically laughed me out of a support chat.

Luckily my neighbor then redid their front lawn and in the process cut my coax line. Temp line was run, and guess what.. issue disappeared. Thanks for accidently fixing the problem I wanted fixed Rogers.

Overall, expensive but if you're area infrastructure is solid, it will be very stable and as problem free as the service can get. Just cross your fingers that you do not have to contact customer service for any reason.