Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by DJtml See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Reliable, quality customer service in the beggining"
Bad "Horrendous CS, black channels constantly until 30 min reboot"
Overall "CRTCs fault for allowing BIG 3"

Been with rogers since 2006 for multiple services on and off. Over the years the customer service and technical support has deteriorated severely. It took me over an hour just to get my cancellation order put threw. 3 days later i decided to use my rewards points before my services ended, but was unable to redeem. So i decided to call and find out why, well, while the first rep couldnt do anything about it, I asked for a manager. I was put on hold for about 30 mins before one came. During that time they removed my access to the rogers.com account and rewards account then proceeded to tell me they couldn't do anything about it, yet my services still was paid for 30 more days. Its obvious during my wait they deactivated my access to resolve the issue and act like they don't know what happened. Its shady tactics like this that make the BIG 3 the worst company's out there. and as i type this my cable TV is stuttering like crazy, even tho it never used to until i called to cancel.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Comments:
sauga_1

join:2014-02-05

I had the same issue

I had to face the same issue when i cancelled my internet service. i have all kind of internet issue started right after the day i cancelled the internet. stay away from this red R company.

Review by dmacgee See Profile

• Location: London,ON

Good product little downtime. Data limit could be higher as more and more streaming is available.

Comments:

Review by hurleyp See Profile

• Location: Ottawa, ON
Good "Reliability"
Bad "None I can think of"
Overall "It just works!"

High speed options in my area are either Bell DSL or Rogers Cable. (Wireless is an option, I suppose, but I'm not interested at this time.) In reality, Bell DSL is not very fast because of distance limitations, so Rogers is the best option. I can say that the service is solid and reliable. I would estimate that the service is down for no more than for a total of one hour per year. I don't make use of the Rogers-specific Internet features so I can't comment on them. I use the Hitron CGN2-ROG cable modem in bridge mode connected to a Netgear WNDR3700.

member for 13.8 years, 4868 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by weedb0y See Profile

• Location: L6Y 0W3
Good "Reliable, consistent. "
Bad "Latecy is higher than Fibe FTTH in the area."
Overall "Expensive but reliable. If Bell offered higher caps on FTTH, I would switch back."

Expensive but works.

Comments:
iamkyle

join:2011-03-22
Newmarket, ON

What?

You have FTTH but choose Rogers? I'll have whatever you're smoking.
weedb0y

join:2013-04-29
L6Y 0W3

Re: What?

175GB vs. 300GB.

Review by AppleGuy See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Good price, if you can haggle or get the offer."
Bad "300GB cap...make people happy make it 500GB at least"
Overall "You gotta play ball with Rogers, you might end up with some happiness."

·WIND Mobile
Been with Rogers for years....years I tell you, after my personal hell from Bell and the ever increasing limiting my speed.
Rogers has increased my speed 10-fold. So I'm happy.
I am NOT happy with increase after increase after increase so I go to cancel.
DR;TL -- so I'll skip everything else, I managed to get $45/month 30/3 300GB internet for 8-years, no contract, modem included.

TPIA can't match. Sorry Teksavvy. I so wanted to be with you...But for now, I have to stick Rogers. $45 is a killer price for 8 years.

member for 221 days, 302 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Treegravy See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Steady uptime for most of 10+ years"
Bad "CAPS are bad mmmkay."
Overall "Reasonable if you're not a power gamer or a downloader or Netflixer"

We're old subscribers from the Rogers@Home days when there were no such things as 'allowances'. The service has always been reasonably reliable and as such when an outage occurred it's been a surprise. That still holds true for the most part. We've never had to rely on Rogers' technical support for any clients that we needed configuring and never used the Rogers provided software from day one. I wouldn't recommend installing any of that since available third party tools are readily available that do a better job of managing your service and security than what's provided.

I took extreme issue with Rogers initially instituting allowances and downgraded our service at that time. When the fees became too high for that downgraded service we downgraded our service again. When Rogers lowered their allowances for new subscribers just as Netflix entered the Canadian market it signalled to us that it was time to consider alternatives.

Update May 2013:

We've sent our notice in and are currently awaiting activation from a competitor of Rogers' service. We undertook to change providers since Rogers doesn't care to honour a deal that we negotiated in good faith with them in order to retain our business. Specifically we were assured that the package and price we agreed to included a free modem rental for a year since we would have to move to a DOCSIS 3 device. Upon getting our first bill we noted the rental charge of seven ($7) dollars and promptly called to remind them of the bargain we'd struck. They were adamant that the modem rental wasn't included and since they wouldn't bend on that point we felt the service would have no value to us and proceeded with the cancellation process.

member for 2.9 years, 808 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

toronto7878

@bell.ca

Experiences in Rogers Services

A month ago, I moved my internet connection to Rogers and have been a disappointment ever since. Connection wasn't working because the modem Rogers tech gave me was different from their system so I was bumped to 3 different departments before someone was competent enough to change my model # to the recent one. Until now, I have been having bad internet connection in different times of the day and thinking of switching to a different provider. Stay away from Rogers Hi Speed internet. Not worth the headache and service is very bad.

Review by wwx9813 See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Great speed, reliable connection, 24/7 support"
Bad "Extremely expensive for this package"
Overall "Recommended, but be prepared to pay a premium"

We ordered the Ultimate package, which was advertised at $125/month before taxes and included 250GB/month and speeds of 150Mbps download, 10Mbps upload. We upgraded to unlimited bandwidth for an extra $10/month (unlimited costs $10/month only if you have two other Rogers services; TV and Home Phone)

On average, we receive speeds of 167Mbps download and 9.87Mbps upload. The order process was simple, we called in, signed up and booked an installation date. The earliest they could schedule a technician was four days away, which was fine. He was nice and had everything installed within 20 minutes. We were previously with TekSavvy, so the cables were ready for him.

We were given their "Advanced Wi-Fi Modem" at an additional $12/month, however, this was waived as part of our signup promotion for two years. We have it in bridge mode as we prefer our Apple Time Capsule.

The first month was a nightmare of support tickets, slow speeds and technician visits. It got so bad that the case was escalated to an engineer. We never heard back from them after that and the support tickets were "no longer in their system" but by the second month, everything was fixed and consistent.

Comments:

Review by JCohen See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Good speed and reliability."
Bad "Low bandwidth cap."
Overall "Alright for the price."

I've been using Rogers High speed from the time they were still called @home and have not had many issues through the years and the issues that I have had have been corrected fast and professionally.

I am currently using the grandfathered Extreme package, 10Mbps with 95GB of bandwidth, the speed is fine but the low bandwidth cap is a killer. Using Netflix and other streaming services for TV Shows that 95GB barley lasts for the month.

I am also a gamer using both PC and xBox 360 and the speed is fine, just the P2P speed limiting causes issues with hosting games from time to time.

Overall Rogers is a good Canadian provider for speed and reliability but they could offer more bandwidth to the lower tier plans or adjust their plans costs a little bit to be more on par with some indie ISPs.

member for 3.4 years, 1455 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

Indies

they don't need to lower their price they actually pay a great deal of what the indie's don't in terms of maintenance, repairs, upgrades and truck rolls.

the ILEC providers will ALWAYS be around- resellers will go the way of the horse and buggy.
priyen

join:2009-12-23
North York, ON

Re: Indies

The Last mile of the network is resold.
eg. let - represent 1 portion of the network.

Home - Carrier connection -Your ISP ------------------------------the internet.

Resell would be:
Home - Carrier connection - the internet.
priyen

join:2009-12-23
North York, ON
And if you think $68 is worth 10Mbps. your highly mistaken.
Verizon in the U.s. offers 35/35 for less then what rogers offers this person for.

Review by KoganIZ See Profile

• Location: Thornhill,ON
Good "They connected me at the same day I contacted them"
Bad "Expensive, not reliable, low caps, cancellation policy"
Overall "I wouldn't recommend it"

·Start Communicat..
I switched to Rogers from TekSavvy (it's not a joke) 2 months ago, when TekSavvy had an outage for a couple of days and they didn't know when it's coming back, and I needed the internet back ASAP.

I had no choice, bit go to Rogers, that connected me at the same day, and the price wasn't much higher than I paid with TekSavvy. The internet was not as great as they promised. The connection dropped every evening several times for a couple of minutes. My kids complained about it all the time.

Despite that, I was happy having "reliable" Rogers internet, until I checked my usage meter. I realized that my bill will is going to be much higher than I expected it to be.

The same day I called Rogers and told them I can't afford it, and asked for a bigger cap (for reasonable money of course), and I have been offered the unlimited cap, for almost twice the money I paid...

I reminded them that I can't afford the internet as is, and I'm looking for a discount, and they had nothing better to offer me. So I told them I want to disconnect. Here came the 30-days cancellation policy. I used the internet for 3 days, and had to pay for the entire month, and of course use it risking to go over the cap and pay more (or don't use it, and loose the money). This is why I put 1 month contract into the Contract Term.

Bottom line: expansive, not reliable.

PS. Today I have got another bill - $113.00. I have been with Rogers for 32 days, and paid 65 + 113 = $178. Called them to ask why I got 2 bills in one month, the told me the $113 for overusing the cap

ROGERS - NEVER AGAIN!

Comments:
dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
·ITalkBB

Cable not good? Try DSL

A good idea when a isp of one kind of service doesn't work, try the other kind.

It's always about location, So a DSL connection might help over Cable, but again it really depends on location.

Within the GTA and you have a good chance, outside the GTA, not so good chance.

MichaelM

@rogers.com

Rogers would not honor their offer for the HI-speed Internet Express

download2013-11-11 O···ould not 853,425 bytes
(2013-11-11 Offer for HI-speed Internet express Rogers would not honor - no name.)
On Nov 10, 2013 we (me and my wife) received Rogers offer for the HI-speed Internet Express service which according to Rogers includes: 3 months FREE and for $35/month thereafter, 100 GB of data a month, modem rental included no term commitment, including all monthly fees and free installation.
I call them today (Ticket #: I665256486) and I learned that this offer was not intended for me (?!), allegedly ONLY for the new and existing customers who do not have HI-speed Internet Express and that I, as the old customer with the same HI-speed Internet Express Service, received the offer by mistake (as I am responsible for my account information in their obviously dis-functional IT department).
What made me angry was the fact that this offer is almost TWICE cheaper than it is the same service I pay right now (with all discounts I have for 3 services with them is currently about $48/mth for 80GB/mth) and that Rogers obviously takes old customers for granted and treat them as stupid idiots who get punished for their (obviously) stupid loyalty and who are putting up with their lousy Internet service at times (when people come home and usage increases).
Even more surprising is because the marketing analysis is saying that it is 10 TIMES more expensive to acquire the new customer than to retain the existing ones and in that light, it is cheaper to incentivise the loyal ones at least to the level of the new ones than to lose them because they (Rogers) threat them like idiots.
As their standard cable digital package does not have any value anyway, the movie rentals are even twice more expensive than the RedBox rentals not to mention the cost of Netflix or similar service if you have the Roku box or similar device (about $100 or cheaper) and then you can watch what you want much cheaper than their cable service. Of course, they have almost monopoly on the Internet service they provide to the Canadian market and the only way how to change that fact is to organize ourselves, call our MP's and request them to eliminate obstacles for American competition to bring the quality services to our market. Any suggestions?
dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15

Re: Rogers would not honor their offer for the HI-speed Internet Express

If you paid any attention to how businesses work, it's sorta like phishing.

M_M

@rogers.com

Re: Rogers would not honor their offer for the HI-speed Internet Express

I think, it is due to the fact that the size and consequent growth of company bureaucracy in almost all big enterprises are becoming seeds of their own demise. You can't expect common sense and business logic to prevail in such environment. They are doomed as dinosaurs were in the past, neurosignals took too long to get to their brain to react adequately to imminent danger, unless they succeed in protecting their monopolies on the market making alliances with politics and preventing a competition ...
I think we would all be better off without monopolies of Bells, Rogers, ....

Review by ground See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Canadian phone support"
Bad "Very expensive, modem fees, bandwidth caps, slow in the evening"
Overall "Rogers Hi-speed is a cancer of internet"

I go to college full-time and the difference between my school internet and my Rogers connection at home is dramatic. When I get home in the evening I feel like I traveled 30 years back in time and that my internet is 33.6k dial-up all over again. Heck, I even stay in the library late so I can use the school's fast internet to complete all of my assignments and submit them on time, can't rely on Rogers in the evening, which goes up and down as it pleases. Their DNS is a disaster, it just stops resolving hosts all of a sudden and my internet quietly dies. And also don't forget bandwidth caps, which they call "usage allowance" as if we are in a Nazi concentration camp somewhere. I'm so paranoid that I have 2 separate programs monitoring my bandwidth so that I don't go over their pathetic limit. Otherwise their warning messages will be all over my computer, they will make it my desktop wallpaper. What a joke!

member for 6.2 years, 694 visits, last login: a few hours ago