Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by ajhaji See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Very reliable, and way faster than anything Bell currently offers."
Bad "Poor tech support, and the service is quite expensive."
Overall "With their new Ignite plans, Rogers is now the value leader for fast, unlimited Internet."

·Bell Fibe
·AEI Internet
·Anveo
2015/03/11 - I'm back with Rogers!

After Rogers announced their new Ignite plans, I decided to give them another shot. After all, where else in Canada can you get 250/20 with unlimited usage for $95/month? Sure, it's a lot more money than you would pay with a smaller ISP, but many of those smaller ISPs are experiencing severe congestion issues that you just won't have to deal with if you're with a big ISP like Rogers or Bell.

Speed tests are very consistent, and I really have no complaints about the service. Rogers has completely eliminated throttling, and with my unlimited plan, I don't need to worry about bandwidth caps anymore. I wish the service didn't cost $95/month, but sadly, it's a much better value than what Bell offers, and due to reliability concerns with the independent ISPs you really do get what you pay for.

2007/08/13 - Just another quick update.

I have now canceled my Rogers subscription. I couldn't be happier with TekSavvy and I strongly suggest that all those who dislike the bandwidth caps and throttling switch to another company if at all possible. You won't regret it.

2007/04/18 - This is an update to my previous review.

Not much has changed. Rogers has increased their speeds since I first reviewed them, which is quite welcome. Their current 6000/800 tier is great, and downloading over HTTP and FTP is fast and reliable. In the past 6 months I don't think our Internet has been down for more than an hour in total.

Some problems have cropped up recently. First of all, Rogers' DNS servers are the worst I've ever seen. DNS issues plague the Rogers forum on DSLR, and pretty much everyone has been told to switch to using another provider like OpenDNS. This is unacceptable. Rogers needs to either fix their DNS issues or outsource their DNS permanently.

Secondly is throttling. I've been lucky in that I haven't been affected by this a great deal, but it's just recently that things have started going downhill. Downloading files from public BT trackers is an exercise in futility. It takes FOREVER. It's not even worth the time anymore.

Third is the cap. I initially chose Rogers because I didn't want to have to deal with the bandwidth cap imposed by Sympatico, and then a year later Rogers goes and imposes their own. What a load of garbage. Bandwidth is so cheap nowadays, and there should be no reason to impose a hard cap on anyone. It adds so much stress for the regular consumer as he/she has to always make sure they stay under the cap. Instead of treating all its customers like criminals, Rogers should just go after the worst offenders and keep them from ruining everyone else's experience.

Rogers tech support is horrible and getting worse by the day. Not much else to say there.

The price is a huge issue. How can Rogers get away with charging $53 for a capped and throttled service when I can pay $30 to get an uncapped and un-throttled connection from a company like TekSavvy? It's unbelievable.

I'm going to be giving TekSavvy a try, to see if DSL speeds have improved any in my area in the past few years. If I can get a stable and relatively speedy connection with them, I'll be canceling my Rogers next month.

member for 13 years, 4153 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Dustyn See Profile

• Location: Tottenham,ON
Good "No packet loss (versus Sympatico), faster downloads, all in one bundled bill."
Bad "Customer support needs work... They are not very friendly people."
Overall "Somewhat better than Sympatico..."

·TekSavvy Cable
UPDATE: Saturday, January 21, 2015 (LAST ROGERS REVIEW)

Leaving Rogers after a decade in favor of TekSavy.
Far better cap options like 400GB or UNLIMITED at almost half the cost!
Rogers is unwilling to work with a long time customer without forcing an upgrade to my existing hardware (which I'll admit is old: SURfboard 5100).
Even after the upgrade with new modem the prices aren't any better!
Rogers refuses to come to an agreement with me to match what TekSavy is offering. Even if I agree to lock myself into a 2yr contract with them!
So goodbye Rogers, it was fun while it lasted...
Hello TekSavy!

- END TRANSMISSION - 10:02:31AM Eastern Standard Time

UPDATE: Friday, October 29, 2010:

No real issues to bring up. Connection remains stable. New contract pricing plan put into effect based being a long time customer. Monthly cost will be updated shortly...

- END TRANSMISSION - 11:45:45PM Eastern Standard Time

UPDATE: Sunday, April 23, 2006:

Returned Motorola SURFboard 5100 Cable Modem to local Rogers Video/Internet outlet because I have decided to upgrade my current EXPRESS plan to EXTREME. The deal I have made with Rogers is if I decide to purchase a NEW Motorola SURFboard 5100 Cable Modem for $99.95 (CAD), they will eliminate the $3.00/mth modem rental charge and they will automatically upgrade me to the EXTREME plan at no additional charge! I'm VERY happy to say I now have Rogers Extreme Internet and I'm only paying EXPRESS prices!

Nod too shabby.
NOTE: This is not some promotional deal where the price would be jacked up down the road. I have confirmation that I am locked in at this current set rate for EXTREME.

RANKING: Pre Sales Information knocked down a point from 4 to 3 as the 3 different people I have talked to get frustrated with me if I need clarification on something.

Quote: "Okay, sir? I just explained this to you.... What is it about this plan you are having so much difficulty understanding?"

*growls* The utter nerve of some people. This kind of B.S. used to get to me... but now I get the last smart ass rebuttal in and hang up each time I get some snobby uptight pencil pushing geek with a chip on his/her shoulder.

Do your damn job and cut the attitude!!
I'm only asking for clarification in the most friendly way I know how?

- END TRANSMISSION - 03:41:58AM Eastern Standard Time

UPDATE: Sunday, October 30, 2005:

No new news to report about Rogers@Home Hi-Speed ISP. Read previous review for information about my ISP.

UPDATE: Sunday, March 20, 2005:

*CONNECTION RELIABILITY: Changed from rank (5) to a (4).

Seeing some noticeable delays. Connection seems bogged down. Not as snappy as it used to be. May reset modem to see if this clears things up. May go as far as logging into the modem web interface and restoring factory defaults to flush out memory. Maybe a new IP is needed. Will try option one first.

- END TRANSMISSION - 11:39:45PM Eastern Standard Time

From order to live to 6 days. I was not impressed since I already had Rogers Cable wired through the house. I just needed a technician to come by and install the splitter outside my house and put in the new cable to connect to the modem. Rogers rep called me originally on January, 12, 2005 and offered us Rogers High Speed Lite for $19.95 for the first 6 months. We already had Sympatico HSE but inquired about the Rogers Express deal which is more or less the equivalent of Sympatico HSE 3.0. She offered it to me at $29.95 for the first 6 months then after being raised to 44.95 per month. But the incentive was that I could bundle my Cable and Cellular with High Speed Internet all under one service bill. They take 15% off my Cable Bill along with another 15% off my High-Speed bill for the life of the service. (does not expire)

Order was placed on January 12, 2005 and was live on January 18, 2005. Originally was booked for January 14, 2005 but was cancelled because I was "using" my phone.

Yeah... can you believe that? I was using my phone for 15 minutes the evening he was supposed to arrive at my home and after I hang up, the red indicator light was flashing on my phone. I pick up the phone to listen for messages and I get a Rogers rep telling me, "We're sorry, a Rogers technician was set to install your Rogers Yahoo! High-Speed Internet today between 5PM-8:00PM and verified nobody was home and had to cancel the appointment. Please reschedule with us for another appointment and we thank you for choosing Rogers Yahoo! High Speed Internet services. Have a great day!"

I was so pissed. He never came to my house!! Basically what Rogers is saying is that I have to keep the telephone line clear for 3 hours so Rogers can verify somebody is home. I sure as hell wished somebody would have told me that before hand!

To make a long story short I re-booked for January 18, 2005 and the tech came by extra early... 3:00PM! Luckily I was home...*geeze!* : \ ... he installed the cabling to my satisfaction *did a great job actually* installed the Motorolla SURFboard SB5100 Cable Modem and I was happily surfing the net.

*NOTE: The reason I was so pissed of at Rogers Customer Support is because the reps were talking back to me, questioning me as to why I couldn't re-book it for another day instead of making things easier on them. I couldn't re-book it easily because the last few days I was off sick and was off work. Now I have to explain to them why I need the tech to come in at a specific time after work instead of booking MORE time off of work?

Just come on the day and time a customer specifies?
It's that simple!
Or at least tell customers that they have to keep there phone lines clear!
Almost went back to Sympatico... but, now that I'm all hooked up with my Rogers Internet, I'm all set!

member for 12.1 years, 3941 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by xbrucex See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "always have connection - reliable!"
Bad "bandwidth is typically poor"
Overall "decent provider but bandwidth concerns"

Been with Rogers for over 15 years...also have home phone and premium cable tv packages. Monthly Rogers bill is $225 without iPhone. Always use up-to-date Norton360. Have 3 wired (PC, PVR, Xbox360) and 6 wireless devices (PC, Kindle, tablet, iTouch, iPhone4s, laptop). Only 2 users in house.
SpeedTests can be all over the map, but typically much lower than the 25+Mbps premium paid for.
Have a 2 year old Rogers Hitron whole home modem/wireless router, but turned off wireless due to poor coverage and attached a Netgear R7000 instead.
I have seen 30/10Mbps in the past but rarely, if ever, now.
Would consider alternative ISPs given service mix available for price.

Comments:

Review by TLS2000 See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Reliable connection"
Bad "Punitive usage caps."

·TekSavvy Cable
Being forced to use this service because my girlfriend is getting a good deal from Rogers and won't consider switching to a more expensive service from TekSavvy.

The service is reliable, but I hate that there are usage caps on it. As soon as they increase the price, we'll switch to TekSavvy again.

member for 11.1 years, 3502 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dauthiatull See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "none"
Bad "way over priced and caped speed issues and droped connections"
Overall "researching bell now"

just about done with rogers

member for 11.6 years, 1990 visits, last login: 6 days ago

Comments:

Review by Terinox See Profile

Good "Consistent speed, price (only because of promotion)"
Bad "Constant liars and deceiving..."
Overall "ONLY good because they have monopoly over Cable..."

·TekSavvy Cable
I was with Teksavvy, but switched to Rogers ONLY because of a crazy promotion. I was VERY happy and pleased with Teksavvy, never had any problems.

Roger's called me and told me if I switched from Teksavvy to Roger's, they would match my current internet, but also give me AN 8 YEAR PRICE LOCK guarantee! Only reason why I switched...

Roger's gave 30 mbps down / 3 mbps up with 300 GB cap for only $45 dollars for 8 YEARS! The offer really blew my mind!!! Nothing comes even close to that kind of deal right now.

OVERALL, they are good because they own all the cable lines and have priority with their own speeds/system. (All other cable companies piggy back off their system I believe).

If you check their site, the prices are WAY TOO HIGH, and I don't even recommend Roger's. Go with Teksavvy for a much better price and good reliability UNLESS you can get a crazy promotion from Rogers. The prices on their website is a JOKE! Way too expensive! I think they charge those prices to people who are naive or poor senior citizens who don't know better

Makes me very sad how badly some people get taken advantage of! Even Roger's has tried to raise my price multiple times, and only when calling and yelling at management have I been able to confirm and continue my 8 year price lock of $45 dollars with them. I'm sure any day now they will try and screw me over with my amazing package promotion that I got...

Good luck to anyone trying to get a decent internet package with a decent price

Comments:

Review by dallas1 See Profile

• Location: Oshawa
Bad "Never"
Overall "Great isp "
(ratings well above consensus)

I came back to rogers

member for 350 days, 261 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by blacken See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Good upload speed, ping"
Bad "Can't reach 250mbit even on the right profile"
Overall "Decent but expensive"

Rogers has provided reliable internet. Unfortunately the discounts previously offered have disappeared and are not offered. My price jumped 50% but I don't have any other options due to poor quality bell copper in the neighbourhood.

Comments:

Review by Soiduts See Profile

• Location: Ontario
Good "Decent speed profiles"
Bad "Bandwidth Caps, Price, Service, Policies"
Overall "Terrible ISP - Support a 3rd Party ISP Instead"

August 2014
------------
Rogers botched up an installation down the street and hung unsightly wires for a good 50meters via the street lights. The installation was so bad that two days later it messed up the entire neighbourhood and knocked everyone's services out for over 8 hours. Using Teksavvy Cable currently but unfortunately still at the mercy of Rogers and their techs when instances like this occur.

August 2013
------------
Have used Rogers Cable in two locations now. Overall the service provided is okay but the price and bandwidth caps make it impossible for a family to use the Internet properly. They are trying to protect their TV cable service by making Internet access a terrible experience in Canada.

DHCP Issues - Whenever Rogers is servicing an area, they set the DHCP lease time to an hour, even during the middle of the day or peak times. An avoidable complication.

Predatory Business Practices - Rogers is continually attacking smaller ISP's that are trying to provide a good service.

Terrible Tech Support - Their tech support is horrible. The tier 1 techs are useless and refuse to acknowledge issues that are caused by them such as upgrades they are conducting, RF issues or unexpected downtime. They try to blame the consumer instead. Almost impossible to get information from them or to be transferred to a tier 2 tech.

Throttling in the Past - While Rogers isn't currently throttling, they did so in the past affecting normal usage of the service.

Packet Injection - Rogers uses packet injection to give their customers information on their cap usage. ISP's should not be modifying a customers packets for any reason.

Comments:

Review by SimplePanda See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Very fast connection no few prime time slowdowns"
Bad "Latency jitters and some pretty poor network routing to some parts of the internet"
Overall "Great connection but poor customer service."

·TekSavvy DSL
Rogers Hybrid Fibre 60 connection.

Installation was scheduled for the day after I ordered it, which was a nice surprise. Technician never arrived and I had to call at the end of the scheduled time period in order to be told that nobody was coming. They re-scheduled for the next morning.

Next morning arrives, again no technician comes to the house. They finally call 30 minutes after the end of the scheduled installation time to say that they are on their way. About an hour later, the tech arrives.

Installation was quick. No problems.

Overall connection works and performs fairly well. Tests show 90-99 Mbps downstream (speedtest.net) and 10.5Mbps upstream. Connection maintains it's performance during peak hours.

Latency is quite good but not amazing. Whereas a TekSavvy VDSL2 connection can go as low as 6ms for me to services like google.com, Rogers fluctuates/jitters heavily and can hit 20-30ms spikes. Lowest measured latency is also not as good; typically 10-12ms.

Additionally, Rogers seems to have some real issues with routing and peering depending on what you're doing on the Internet. Hurricane Electric, for example, is all over the place. Accessing HE in Toronto has you routing through Ashburn. Accessing Ashburn has you routing through Chicago. Performance isn't great either - one of the most heavily peered transit providers in the world (he.net) and I'm only able to get about 20Mbps of throughput from them.

Bell, TekSavvy and Videotron can all saturate a connection when dealing with Hurricane. If you're looking to do IPv6 tunnelling, Rogers is probably not the ISP for you. Of course, Rogers doesn't provide native IPv6. No major Canadian carriers do (the largest is TekSavvy), so this is no surprise. Canada is woefully behind on this issue.

Rogers also doesn't have local Netflix OpenConnect nodes, so while they have recently upgraded their capacity to OpenConnect at an IX facility it remains to be seen how long this performance will hold for before they need to upgrade again. As a general rule, Rogers isn't super proactive about keeping their network running well so as this upgrade saturates Netflix performance will likely begin to suffer. Something to keep an eye on.

Rogers support is probably their weakest point. Best of luck to you if you ever have to interact with their support reps. They're not super competent and they tend not to understand the things they're supporting. I've had issues ranging from reps being unable to understand the topic at hand to reps making things up and effectively lying to me about things. Not great. If you can avoid calling tech support in any way, do so.

Overall - if you can get a good deal on a package you probably can't go wrong with Rogers assuming you don't need support.

member for 11.5 years, 995 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

glenn10

@99.226.208.x

rogers keep the pvr deals

never go for a 'keep the pvr' deal from rogers. our picture intermittently froze and rogers tech support said it was the pvr but 'unfortuantely' we had 'purchased the pvr' and it was out of warranty so not their problem. no one told us that the pvr was 'purchased' when we entered the deal and now we cannot use the service we are paying for because the pvr is no good. since we now own the pvr, I also notice that our service cost did not drop!!!! they offered to rent a pvr to us at additional cost and I would have to go pick it up! I was with rogers for 20 years and this is the second disingenuous move on their part. never again!!! cancelled the service.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON

Re: rogers keep the pvr deals

I haven't had old school TV service for a long time. Internet only.