Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by cdland See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Old phone wires in area, DSL is bad. Cable is much better."
Bad "Old phone wires in area, no much for compation."
Overall "Cost is the same as DSL but I don't get dropped, so cable is the way here."

Speed is fine for gaming, videos and downloads. If I get a good sever, Nvidia for example I get speeds up to 750kbs.

member for 14.5 years, 127 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Maestro77 See Profile

• Location: Stittsville,ON
Good "Hey it's fast."
Bad "Customer support worst on planet (and I'm not exagerating!)"
Overall "If you want fast and can tollerate their AWEFUL treatment of customers....."

Expect endless problems with their customer support. Don't even waste time with the first tier of people you get on the phone - demand to speak to a supervisor for any issue that comes up.

They sneakily change the User Agreement without letting you know.....small details like imposing a data cap!!!

Technically, cable internet is awesome, but MAN, Rogers is a HORRIFIC company to deal with!

member for 9.7 years, 1185 visits, last login: 4.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by elec999 See Profile

Good "Its fast."
Bad "Capped"
Overall "Good for people who dont download much"

·Ring Central
·Start Communicat..
Good service. Very stable. Only downside capped torrents. And capped to 100gb per month.

Comments:

Review by wjw See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "e-mail with pop/smtp service, downtime is low"
Bad "modem (Webstar) not reliable, requiring frequent reset, torrent too slow"
Overall "Solid, reliable ISP for most users, but not for advanced users"

Would have switched to an DSL if available in my area.

Considered Techsavy, Bell, but DSL not available.

I have always been on express, paying $45/month. I am supposedly to get 6Mb/s speed, in reality I am getting 1Mb-3.5Mb/s depending on the time of day.

Installation was very smooth. Webstar 2100 modem.

The bad experience I have been having is every day I have to reset the modem once because it would freeze. Also the torrent traffic is almost useless.

Comments:

Review by Lookback See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "Very Reliable"
Bad "Horrendous Customer Service, Recommended I cripple my LAN by setting Ethernet cards to 10MBps half duples"
Overall "I would change if I could, Bell is totally unreliable"

There are no other options it seems
I got High Speed Extreme
I got a Motorola SB5101 Surfboard Cable Modem
I have an ongoing high variability in ping issue, they are not willing to look at their own system to fix it and try to keep blaming my machine (which is immaculate)

Comments:

Review by alec9 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "fast install"
Bad "slow at times, cap, expensive"
Overall "only get if there's nothing else or no phone line/dry loop"

Expensive and slow, tried to cancel it and they just wanted to change my plan. Traffic shaping also occurred, but if no phone line or DSL not available, good choice.

Comments:

Review by compuryan See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Reliable, decent speed, good and fast support, ports unblocked"
Bad "Expensive, not getting full advertised speed, some throttling"
Overall "Best service in my area but there should be better."

Have the extreme plus service for $100/month. This is an 18Mbps service however the most I ever see is 12-14 (1.5MB/s). During evenings it gets as low as 6. Still faster than the best DSL service available right now (Bell's 16Mbps service doesn't even deliver 4, teksavvy maxes at 6).

Unfortunately it is a lot of money given that there is a 90GB cap and the service doesn't reach the advertised speed.

I would love to see the kind of speeds you can get in some areas of the US (30Mbps-120Mbps) come to Canada, and typically American services are much cheaper too. We need Fibre!

Comments:

Review by rbmk See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Always on, reliable and fast (http)."
Bad "No newsgroups, many services outsourced to yahoo, p2p throttling."
Overall "Better than Bell."

I signed up for Rogers a year ago for internet-only. Sales rep was kind of pushing me into signing up, so I was confused about what's going on. But since I went through their web site and relatively good FAQ section I knew many details before signing up.

Install went very good, I was surprised. They told me the time when tech will be available and I agreed. At the scheduled time tech called me that he is on his way, not like with Bell, when they ignore you and you waste a day waiting, and nobody ever shows up.

The modem (SA DPC2100 R2) went online right away after we connected it and everything was OK.
Over the year I had quite a few minor 5-minute outages when my modem desynchronizes and then says:
"Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request"
but then after awhile it reconnects. So the connection is relatively stable. Not like with DSL when connection can go down for hours and days.

Tech support needs improvement, they don't really understand the situation, but, hey, at least it's Canadian, so I don't struggle understanding of what they say!

Services are outsourced to yahoo and claimed as rogers' own. For example, GeoCities - Rogers claims that they give 15MB for storage, but in fact anybody can have those 15MB if they have a free yahoo mail account, it has nothing to do with Rogers.
Also Rogers' DNS servers suck big time, they blocked many sites, so you either have to use proxy, or openDNS - but then your ping skyrockets to the values never seen before by human race.
Caps are getting lower to match Bell's. And, of course, throttling, to the point that I have stopped using p2p. Since I am internet-only they call me sometimes to offer their Cable TV.

Generally, there is a tendency at Rogers to change internet to something like "Rogersnet". I would change their slogan to: "Now *WE* control your internet".

Value for the money? Well, I am sure that it's definitely better than Bell as of today, but they plan to reduce caps even more, to be slightly larger than Bell's, and that's complete BS.
I am allergic to Bell.

Comments:

Review by happycatt See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Reliable connection."
Bad "Rogers throttles torrents, I wonder what traffic is next?"
Overall "Rogers had great service before, but now I don't know if it's worth it."

I've been with Rogers high speed for five years and consider the connection reliable and fast where I live, but besides that there is little reason for me to stay with them. They gradually have been removing services and features that I enjoy yet the price keeps going up. First they got rid of newsgroups, then soon after they replaced their personal web pages with an offering from Geocities (and marketed the ability to get a geocities website as a Rogers "feature"), then replaced their email servers with Yahoo email, which I don't mind, but it's another basic service they outsourced to someone else and use it as an excuse to charge more.

Customer support is what you expect from any large company nowadays:impersonal, scripted, rushed, and replies to email usually are some copy and pasted boilerplate text, but I do get personal responses to some questions.

My main concern with Rogers is how they manipulate and modify your connection. They throttle bit torrent traffic, yet everyone uses it for legitimate purposes whether it's for downloading large files, patching apps, or automatic games updates. If they do this today, what is next? Will Non-rogers VOIP be blocked? Rumor has it that Rogers is in the process of implementing a system that alters the html of web pages and inserts Rogers-specific code/adverts/account updates before it hits your browser. Ya, that sounds swell.

Rogers seems to want to turn the internet into a non-net-neutral tiered service, just like their cable service, with one price for basic internet, then $5 here for this and $10 for that. I don't want.

I think I will soon give dry dsl a shot. If it works then I can say goodbye to rogers cable monopoly completely.

Comments:

Review by luma See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Consistent Speed, good customer service, Quick/professional install, reliable, almost static ip."
Bad "Tech support could use improvements. IVR sucks (I hate talking to computers)"
Overall "Great ISP for the money"

I signed up for Rogers a few years ago now and Have been very happy. On the same line I have HD PVR and 2 cable modems. I get 8megabits per cable modem at any given time.

I HATE the IVR system when you call. I can't stand talking to a computer but after that its fine. I complained about the cost increase and I received some money off for 12 months. I was happy with that. Tech support could use improvements but they do what they can with the training they get. I was also told by a few techs that "Macs are not supported sir," even though on the website they clearly are supported.

I would like to see higher upload speed because I work from home and uploading files to work is a pain.

I am renting one modem and I purchased the other. No issues here.

I use a Dual WAN router and I can download at nearly 2.0Megabytes per second from the newsgroups using 4 connections to the server (I use usenetserver.com)

The connection tends to be very stable. I only had a couple of outages and for a few weeks my ip would change every day (making it hard to remote desktop) But it fixed itself and now its just fine.

DNS servers are crap but I started using my Web Hosting companies dns server and it works fine since I did that change.

member for 10.5 years, 3772 visits, last login: 192 days ago