Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by rbmk See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Always on, reliable and fast (http)."
Bad "No newsgroups, many services outsourced to yahoo, p2p throttling."
Overall "Better than Bell."

I signed up for Rogers a year ago for internet-only. Sales rep was kind of pushing me into signing up, so I was confused about what's going on. But since I went through their web site and relatively good FAQ section I knew many details before signing up.

Install went very good, I was surprised. They told me the time when tech will be available and I agreed. At the scheduled time tech called me that he is on his way, not like with Bell, when they ignore you and you waste a day waiting, and nobody ever shows up.

The modem (SA DPC2100 R2) went online right away after we connected it and everything was OK.
Over the year I had quite a few minor 5-minute outages when my modem desynchronizes and then says:
"Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request"
but then after awhile it reconnects. So the connection is relatively stable. Not like with DSL when connection can go down for hours and days.

Tech support needs improvement, they don't really understand the situation, but, hey, at least it's Canadian, so I don't struggle understanding of what they say!

Services are outsourced to yahoo and claimed as rogers' own. For example, GeoCities - Rogers claims that they give 15MB for storage, but in fact anybody can have those 15MB if they have a free yahoo mail account, it has nothing to do with Rogers.
Also Rogers' DNS servers suck big time, they blocked many sites, so you either have to use proxy, or openDNS - but then your ping skyrockets to the values never seen before by human race.
Caps are getting lower to match Bell's. And, of course, throttling, to the point that I have stopped using p2p. Since I am internet-only they call me sometimes to offer their Cable TV.

Generally, there is a tendency at Rogers to change internet to something like "Rogersnet". I would change their slogan to: "Now *WE* control your internet".

Value for the money? Well, I am sure that it's definitely better than Bell as of today, but they plan to reduce caps even more, to be slightly larger than Bell's, and that's complete BS.
I am allergic to Bell.

Comments:

Review by happycatt See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Reliable connection."
Bad "Rogers throttles torrents, I wonder what traffic is next?"
Overall "Rogers had great service before, but now I don't know if it's worth it."

I've been with Rogers high speed for five years and consider the connection reliable and fast where I live, but besides that there is little reason for me to stay with them. They gradually have been removing services and features that I enjoy yet the price keeps going up. First they got rid of newsgroups, then soon after they replaced their personal web pages with an offering from Geocities (and marketed the ability to get a geocities website as a Rogers "feature"), then replaced their email servers with Yahoo email, which I don't mind, but it's another basic service they outsourced to someone else and use it as an excuse to charge more.

Customer support is what you expect from any large company nowadays:impersonal, scripted, rushed, and replies to email usually are some copy and pasted boilerplate text, but I do get personal responses to some questions.

My main concern with Rogers is how they manipulate and modify your connection. They throttle bit torrent traffic, yet everyone uses it for legitimate purposes whether it's for downloading large files, patching apps, or automatic games updates. If they do this today, what is next? Will Non-rogers VOIP be blocked? Rumor has it that Rogers is in the process of implementing a system that alters the html of web pages and inserts Rogers-specific code/adverts/account updates before it hits your browser. Ya, that sounds swell.

Rogers seems to want to turn the internet into a non-net-neutral tiered service, just like their cable service, with one price for basic internet, then $5 here for this and $10 for that. I don't want.

I think I will soon give dry dsl a shot. If it works then I can say goodbye to rogers cable monopoly completely.

Comments:

Review by luma See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Consistent Speed, good customer service, Quick/professional install, reliable, almost static ip."
Bad "Tech support could use improvements. IVR sucks (I hate talking to computers)"
Overall "Great ISP for the money"

I signed up for Rogers a few years ago now and Have been very happy. On the same line I have HD PVR and 2 cable modems. I get 8megabits per cable modem at any given time.

I HATE the IVR system when you call. I can't stand talking to a computer but after that its fine. I complained about the cost increase and I received some money off for 12 months. I was happy with that. Tech support could use improvements but they do what they can with the training they get. I was also told by a few techs that "Macs are not supported sir," even though on the website they clearly are supported.

I would like to see higher upload speed because I work from home and uploading files to work is a pain.

I am renting one modem and I purchased the other. No issues here.

I use a Dual WAN router and I can download at nearly 2.0Megabytes per second from the newsgroups using 4 connections to the server (I use usenetserver.com)

The connection tends to be very stable. I only had a couple of outages and for a few weeks my ip would change every day (making it hard to remote desktop) But it fixed itself and now its just fine.

DNS servers are crap but I started using my Web Hosting companies dns server and it works fine since I did that change.

Comments:

Review by Smokin Chipz See Profile

• Location: The Market
Good "speed, setup time"
Bad "cost, troublesome"
Overall "If you are after 'some' internet, this is good but if you need reliability..."

Setup is fast.
Technical support is mental. They have made me laugh a few times.
There are issues with my connection that are unresolved in over a year.
I will change this review if this situation improves.
Its a little expensive if you don't need cable television and other 'packages' they like to tag onto your service.

Comments:

Review by westvv See Profile

• Location: M2J 1U8

It's the worst service providers I ever used in Canada, I do not know why so many customer they have, and more and more customer they are owning, but from a technical point, it's bad, do not ask me how, I know its network topology, bad! the four big players in canada, Bell, Telus, Shaw and Rogers, Rogers is the worst one in them. I do not recommend it except it's your only HS choice.

Comments:

Review by zenmechanic See Profile

• Location: Bowmanville,ON
Good "Speed, stabillity, customer service"
Bad "Price, throtling, customer service"
Overall "If you dont use encrypted data, Rogers is great."

When they started throttling bittorrent traffic, it was relatively easy to circumvent for tech savvy users. When Rogers realized this they started throttling all encrypted traffic, which affects voip, torrents, VPN.... essentially eliminating all my uses for my internet connection.

I have just signed up with techsavvy.com and am happy so far, the connection is not as stable or as fast, but I will sacrifice those things in exchange for freedom.

As greedy corporations try to strangle every last penny from you and price fix with each other to increase their bottom line, it is very refreshing to see a principled company like techsavvy enter the market. They have a very active community here on dslreports where their technicians report regularly, they actually ask their customers opinions before making changes to their subscription plans...

Bottom line is, if you only surf the web and send email, then Rogers is for you. But why the hell would you need 8 Mb p/s for that?? get their most basic package. If you want to use your connection how you see fit, use a different provider.

Comments:

Review by look30 See Profile

• Location: K-W
Good "Fast"
Bad "Bad Service, Harrasement from company. EXPENSIVE."
Overall "Glad to leave them behind and move forward to a better service"

I had to leave Rogers after being continuously harassed by their incompetent tech support for presumably having a virus on my computer.
After being disconnected for the third time, this time I didn't even had the modem connected for almost a week, for "virus and worms" activity I decided cancel the service and find alternatives (see my Teksavvy review).
When I canceled the service I was told by the CSR that there where many cases identical with mine which confirmed my initial suspicion about the disconnects.
My guess is that they started to harass me because I was going over the 100 GB cap due to using the trumpeted multimedia experience of watching TV and listen to radio on the net .

I was a Rogers loyalist for years but lately they don't give a squat about that and their tech support from "John" and "Jane" from Calcutta it's worst than ever.
Those guys are trained to repeat "It's your computer's fault" over and over again no matter whet are you complaining about

Overall I am SUPER HAPPY of getting rid of Rogers and that is priceless.

P.S.

1. I was only going by 10% over the 100 GB limit with rogers

2. Please refrain from personal attacks and bullying me into changing my review.

3. I have Kaspersky and NOD 32 ( I bought the last after the first disconnect) and none of them found ANY kind of problems on my computers. Rogers Tech suggested to try free Norton crap they have for free.... that was a funny guy

Comments:

Review by Fox135 See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Extreme package...fast downloads unless you're torrenting."
Bad "Torrents are throttled."
Overall "If you're not looking for torrent DL they're probably the best ISP in the West GTA."

Setup was quick (within 48 hours) but having my ISP pick and choose which traffic they'd like to allow through at full speed is really grinding my gears.

That should not be up to an ISP.

Comments:

Review by jhuynh See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "NOTHING"
Bad "speed is constantly under the speed of high speed lite which is 1Mbps!"
Overall "VERY SLOW during peak hours!"

I've only been rogers for a few months now but I'm already switching from them. They are completely useless with getting my connection up to spec. Every day when I come home from work teh internet barely reaches 1Mbps. The only time I can get the advertised 7Mbps is first thing in the morning before I leave for work. I've called Rogers to complain about this numerous times but they have not offered me a solution. I am in the process of cancelling.

member for 12.6 years, 119 visits, last login: 2.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by spotters See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Service activated quickly"
Bad "Cost, Horrible Technical Support, Throttling, Possible caps?"
Overall "Very expensive, Little value"

--November 4 2007 --

One of their technicians disconnected my line by mistake while removing cable for another apartment. Cable, internet and my VoIP were down for ~24 hours. Unacceptable!

--October 7 2007 --

I am not very impressed with Rogers as of late. I can never get Bit torrent to work and have stopped using it. I find the cost is absurd, and with news that caps might be implemented. I rarely get close to the caps but greatly dislike the possibility of additional charges.

There was no service interruptions this year with the arrival of students.

--August 20 2006--

And the Students move in. I thought it was a little weird being that its still a few weeks from the start of the semester but my connection has tanked. After resetting our router, and modem, calling Rogers to see if there are outages, our connection has went from ~3500 mbps to 800 mbps (~100KB/s tops for web apps).

I am near the intersection of Columbia and King in Waterloo. I have University of Waterloo, Wilfred Laurier, and Conestoga College within about a 1km Radius of me. I am paying for Express which is now at 5 Mbps. My download speed tends to range from just over 3000 Kbps around dinner to just under 4000 Kbps at midnight. My upload stays consistant at 350-360 Kbps

They were very quick to activate the service, and the guy arrived within the time window. The guy who came was really nice, didn't damage anything, was clean, and quick.

75% of the time, you will get a great techie who can help you. However I have also received sarcasic, snide remarks, and been put on hold for more than 10 minutes. I have a cell phone, internet and cabled bundled, and had my account mixed up that resulted in a $900 dollar bill. Check your bill carefully the first couple of months, cause in this instance, my accounts where tied to the wrong person.

I would be very happy paying between $35-$40 for the services they are providing.