Covad Wireless page on DSLReports

Review by pnayebi See Profile

Good "Decent Speeds"
Bad "Customer support is horrible, service is extremely unreliable"
Overall "Stay as far away from them as possible"

We signed up for their Super-T 6M wireless service. We had about 2 months of reliable server and then everything started to go downhill from there. Our connection drops frequently and I haven’t been able to achieve upload or download speeds of anything even near 4M in the past 3 months. TO make matters worse, their technical support department is horrible. I have experienced average wait times of at 30 minutes to get a tech, and then about 1-2hrs per call. Every call has ended with Tier-1 giving up and saying Tier-2 will call me back. They never do. So, when I call back they never let me speak to Tier-2. It is an endless cycle of dealing with their incompetent Tier-1 technicians. Do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY from Covad Wireless.

Comments:

Review by crginc See Profile

• Location: Thousand Oaks,Ventura,CA
Good "Reliable Connection, superior customer service"
Overall "Cost effective Business Internet service"

It was late in the afternoon on December 24th and I was reading a customer review that mentioned he had a no cost install during the month. This was all I needed to give them a call and ask if they would do an N/C install for me as well. The local office was closed so I tried another number and to my surprise someone answered the phone. I explained I was interested in wireless business service for my home office. He took all the necessary information and within a few minutes emailed or faxed me the paperwork. Later I found out I was taking to customer support and not sales! Early the next week I got a call from the local sales office to arrange a site evaluation. Two days later the CPE was installed and has been operating 100% ever since.

One might ask what is the difference between my previous cable provider, business DSL and Nextweb. Previously I had a business account with Adelphia for $120/mo. Their upload speed do to system limitations was marginal for my application and when I did have a problem, it took days not hours to resolve it. I used to have a small office in town with 768/768 business DSL for about the same price as I am contracted with Nextweb. The difference is in the support and the fact that DSL/cable performance is still somewhat of a best effort as opposed to Nextweb’s guarantee of service (SLA). At the time of installation the speed is checked to ensure it is at or above the contracted rate.

Nextweb is not so large of a corporation that they take their customers for granted and when I have an operational or system question, customer service has always been very responsive. I would recommend anyone who needs Internet reliability to seriously consider calling Nextweb.

Home Network Specifications:

Internet connection Speed 768/768, 5 static IPs

Linksys 5 port switch to allow direct Internet connection for video conferencing / VOIP equipment

Symantec VPN 100 firewall, static intranet routing and backup POTS modem

Linksys 16 port switch to computers, network printers, and a linksys wireless access point for my laptop.

Its been a full three months since I switched to NextWeb. I have been up the full time with no known outages and excellent transmission quality (QOS). I use video over IP (video conferencing) with excellent results (near zero packet loss) both to the UK and Asia. Keep up the good work NextWeb!

Comments:

Review by cunnie See Profile

• Location: Mountain View,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Usually up."
Bad "Can wait 2 days for resolution of problems"
Overall "Don't bet your business on it!"

Usually their service is pretty good, but when your connection goes down, their support is lackluster.

Our connection has been down for 36 hours. This is intolerable for a business. Oh, and we are a business customer: we pay $649/month for their "Super-T Dedicated 3Mbps" services. We signed a two-year contract.

I called them within minutes of it going down. Within ten minutes, the support person realized that he needed to dispatch a technician. It was at this point that their service fell apart. No technician was dispatched that evening. None the next day. Finally, this morning, a technician was dispatched.

I find it stunning that Nextweb/Covadwireless is trying to sell VOIP services: the company is clearly not set up to support business customers, and, judging by some of the other reviews, not residential customers either.

Fortunately, we had our AT&T Frame Relay 1.5Mbps backup system, and I was able to switch the bulk our our traffic over once it became clear that Nextweb would not be able to fix things in a timely manner, but what worries me is what if I didn't have a backup system?

I'd be more than happy to share my experience with any who are interested. My email is cunnie at aeluros (with the ubiquitous dot com at the end).

--Brian C.

p.s. And our accounts payable person says that their transition to covadwireless was very troublesome, and it took much work to straighten out the billing. This is from someone who rarely complaines.

Comments:

Review by bashar42 See Profile

• Location: Los Altos,Santa Clara,CA
Good "raw speed is good."
Bad "poor performance (latency, packetloss), high price."
Overall "go somewhere else"

So I've been with Nextweb (now Covad Wireless) for 3 years now, purely out of lack of options (unless you call dial-up an option).

The reliability has always been spotty, with frequent, but short down times at least once a week. But what really makes Nextweb's service crap is the quality/health of the connection.

Sure I get just over the 768/768K speed I bought when doing "speed tests" and downloading from sites I frequent bare this out. The real problem is high latency and packet loss spikes.

I'm constantly plagued by dropped connections during VOIP calls, video conferencing, and online-gaming sessions. During these spikes my web pages won't load for 3-4min at a time and suddenly pop up again after mindlessly mashing the "try again" button in Firefox for the duration. These periods of dead-connection happen at least 2 or 3 times every hour.

I've been using the SmokingPing tool here at BroadbandReports.com to track the situation.

It shows the normal 15-25ms latency erratically spiking up to as high as 160ms during these spikes. It also shows packet loss of as high as 15-20% for stretches of 20minutes at a time.

I recently got fed up and called them up to try and resolve the problems. The first response I got was a lame "one of our routers went down last night, so that may have been the cause of your problems, it's back up now and I just ran some tests on your service and everything looks good." Too bad my problems have been going on for MONTHS. When I called him on this, and emailed him a link to my SmokingPing graphs, he then came at me with the "where are these servers located? Our network is clear, so if there are issues it must be with a router outside our network." Why am I paying these guys $215? For 20% packet loss? Does there service end as soon as my data leaves their exit router? If their routers are routing me through shitty 3rd party routers that is there responsibility! Rerout your tables, or do what ever else it is you pay your IT guys to do. I want a clean, clear, reliable connection, with the speeds I paid for. Anyway, after discussing with him some more, he took a look at "something" (his words) and said my node did look like it MAY be overloaded. He said he was going to have it restarted. 5min later my connection went down for 10min, when it came back, the troubles came back. Oh joy.

Comments:

Review by ColorBASIC See Profile

• Location: Huntington Beach,Orange,CA
Good "None since COVAD took over"
Bad "With COVAD takecover came horrible reliability, long hold times, expensive"
Overall "Avoid at all costs, you're better off with dial up or other local WISP"

Stuck with 768/128 Business DSL I was excited to get Nextweb's Office Connect plan even being 5X the price. The plan was to use it as our primary connection keeping DSL as a backup. All I can say is boy am I glad I kept the DSL. After originally being very pleased and seeing excellent reliability and great speed (3Mb/3Mb) since COVAD took over service has gone to crap.

Presales (2): Presales info online was limited to pretty pictures of models in business suits. You have to call to get any decent information. I guess it's because people fall over when they hear the price. In looking at the site now there is even less information that when it was Nextweb.

Install (3): Install was a bit silly. The installer arrived on time and did a decent job although I had to help. It wouldn't be so bad except in addition to having to help, the install fee was $300. For $300 I expected to sit back and just watch, not pull cable.

Connection reliability (1): The first year or so was great. Very low latency and decent reliability. Then the merger with COVAD happened and service quickly went to crap. Since the merger I've noticed they've cut the speeds of their plans and outages are CONSTANT and extremely frustrating. Usually the outages are just for a few annoying minutes (shy of their definition of chronic) but like today it's been hours. As I write this review we are yet again failed-over to our slow but trusty DSL.

Tech Support (1): Non-existent. Again during this outage I gave up being on hold after nearly an hour. This after being told by the automated system that the hold time would be "6-10 minutes". Even Verizon on-rot times aren't this bad on their worst day and their service is only $30/mo. And it wasn't like this before the merger. I was never waiting more than a minute or two in the pre-COVAD days. I guess COVAD's idea of customer service is not having any.

Services (1): Talk and a pretty website are great. They can talk talk talk about what they offer but unless I can get it reliability there is little point. That's not service. And worse everyone has a different phone number, doesn't share information and can't transfer you. You call billing but actually need customer service you can't be transferred, you have to hang up and start all over. Same with technical support. In addition, there is no account information sharing going on so if you are talking to Covad billing, they have zero information about your Nextweb account other than when you paid them last. They just refer you to the local office where there is just a cheap sounding answering machine. You can never get a LIVE person on the phone anymore. You ALWAYS have to wait for a callback which may be anywhere from hours to days.

Value (1): Again, there is little value in a service that is up and down constantly and you can't get anyone other than COVAD billing (who knows nothing but phone numbers of COVAD/Nextweb answering machines) on the phone.

Here in Orange County AVOID Nextweb/COVAD at all costs. And if you must try them avoid the contract. My next call to COVAD (certainly just to leave a message as you can you can never get these guys on the phone) would be to cancel if not for this punitive 2 year contract that I still have a few months to go on. But once expired I'm fleeing as COVAD wireless sucks serious ass.

• Location: Hayward,Alameda,CA
Good "Excellent service and connectivity"
Overall "Would recommend Nextweb to everyone."

Two thumbs up!!!

Have nextweb for almost a month by now and could only say positive
things about Nextweb -- the service and the internet speed by far are
first class as a internet provider. Installation was done within 3 days
of signing the contract and since then the internet has been running
like a charm -- not even drop a second. Signed up for 500k and get close 990k
most of time symmetric for $159 per month. What's a good deal comparing
with T1 for $579 offering by SBC. At the beginning, I was very concern
and skeptic about the reliability of the wireless internet, but now I
totally trust the technology --- it works well even during the last big
storm period.

Richard Lou

(review was emailed from domain pacecocorp.com)

Comments:

Review by oliphant See Profile

• Location: Huntington Beach,Orange,CA
Good "Low latency, reliable, static IP"
Bad "$300 install fee unless 2yr contract, slower than biz DSL and cable"
Overall "A fairly quick good service if you can't get biz DSL or cable."

Being a business JUST outside the range of DSL getting cheap internet service is frustrating. We're not a big company so we couldn't justify paying $300+/mo for a fractional T1 but we still need it to manifest jobs with Fedex and UPS, plus of course email and dialup is a pain.

We were originally with a different WISP, WiLogic, and paid $180/mo for 768/768 and we got reliable service from them. We had originally avoided Nextweb because they were higher. Every few months or so I would check around and see if there were any new providers and I noticed that Nextweb had a static IP 512/512 Officeconnect plan for $20 cheaper.

Presales: Presales info was fine, they answered all of my questions. After ordering and faxing back the 1 year commitment paperwork they scheduled an install which took a few hours. The installers were fast and neat and tried to minimize WAN downtime. The only neg was the $300 install fee, but you don't pay that if you sign a 2-year deal.

Reliability: Thus far we haven't have any problems with our connection. Unlike our other WISP which used a mesh network, we now get better latency. So far we are pleased.

Tech Support: No rating since I haven't had to use them (yet).

Services: We have their office connect plan and occasionally see the advertised burst speeds of 3000/3000 but more often 2500/2500...well above the advertised 512/512 minimum. We aren't heavy downloaders but for the occasional download or upload the speed is really nice. The service also includes static IP which is a bonus for VPN.

Value: While expensive compared to typical residential services, compared to other business plans from Time Warner or 7100/768 from Verizon and the like, $160 isn't bad at all IMO. Nextweb is slower than business DSL or cable plans in the same price range and isn't unlimited user like DSL but that's well and good if you qualify for DSL or cable. Since we don't we're happy to have what has been consistent 1.5mb service for a similar price.

Overall we are pretty happy with the service. I would recommend Nextweb to any small business around here that can't get business DSL or cable.

UPDATE 10/22 - Well after signing I got a bit nervous with all of these review replies. Luckily I haven't had any problems whatsoever and see a consistent 2200-3000Mb up and down from the 3Mb burstable service. Typically the sustained speed is in the 2.5Mb up and down with low and very stable latency. So far so good. I'm very pleased.

UPDATE 1/3 - Service is still good with no known down time since installation. Speeds are still consistently over 2000/2000 and typically 2600/2200 from an advertised 512/512 service. Latency is still in the teens to local servers which is also great. While other Nextweb areas seem to have a lot of problems, our OC service is very stable and consistent.

UPDATE 3/25 - Service still good with no down time. Speeds are still in the 2500/2500 range with consistently low latency. I continue to be very pleased with the service.

Comments:

Review by peter2004 See Profile

• Location: Anaheim,Orange,CA
Good "Good price"
Bad "Bad customer service"
Overall "Think befor you act"

Well took 7 days to get it to work i asked for 1.5 Mbps Burst to 6 Mbps i was getting 8.0 downlaod and 2.3 uplaod i have no issuess with the downlaod speed but i do with the uplaod, so i called and asked if i could get bumped up to 9.0 mbps well not sure if she understood me but five mins later my downlaod went from 8.0mbps tp just 4mbps of couse i am a little mad co i called tech support and asked what was going on and they really couldn't help me much at all, i was told to call my sales person, right now i am under a 30 day trial and i am not an happy camper. Nextweb is not bad it's just that they have people who are just clueless and have no idea what they are doing but if you are looking for wireless give them a shot you have nothing to loose at all and just ask for John Daly he is in sales he will help you out.

Comments:

Review by josephguy200 See Profile

• Location: Anaheim,Orange,CA
Good "lost of speed"
Bad "connection reliability"
Overall "do your homework"

Well just got the super T conntion which is 1.5upto 6megs install took over 4 hours after the install was done the conntion was well slow as slow as an 56k, so was i was told that some one would be out hear to fix something sure, the bottom line is right now i am under a 30 day trial so if everythings not working by next week i am just going to get ride of them there's no point in wasting my time.

P.S Nextweb never agin will i get a fixed wireless conntion.

Comments:

Review by Tyger4 See Profile

• Location: Palo Alto,Santa Clara,CA
Good "All dealings with the company have been very professional."
Bad "Wireless does have some downsides."
Overall "Seems like a good ISP, but not for me."

From the point I first inquired with NextWeb to when the connection was installed, they were 100% professional about it. The salesman kept in touch with me throughout the whole process.

Unfortunately, there is some interference where I live which is disrupting the signal, giving me a solid 5-25% packet loss. Since they could not offer a decent level of service, they offered to upgrade my connection to a wired T1 at no cost over the local circuit. Since I am still within my 30 day trial period, I will be looking elsewhere for internet, but would not hesitate to try NextWeb again in the future.