Red Shift Internet Services page on DSLReports

• Location: Pebble Beach,Monterey,CA
Good "tech support"
Bad "outage confirmation"
Overall "recommended"

AFAIK, at this time the only broadband services in this area are AT&T, Comcast, and
Redshift. It's generally been a pleasure to work with Redshift. I've only lost service
when their office has lost power for an extended period, or my phone line has gone
down (wind). It's been much easier to deal with AT&T for my local loop through Redshift
rather than with AT&T. I've recently upgraded to 6 Mb/sec service (although at 14K feet)
and can get 4+ Mb/sec test results.

Comments:

Review by taurnation See Profile

• Location: Pacific Grove,Monterey,CA
Good "Good tech support, modem worked right out of the box, free back-up dial-up account"
Bad "Connection has dropped out twice, with no explaination from the company"
Overall "Good, reliable service 99% of the time, and quality equipment"

I decided to go with Red Shift over PacBell (which we connect through in our area) because we've been a RS customer for the last five years, on dial-up. The sales person took down all of my information and gave me a confirmation #. Several times I had to call customer support to make some minor changes to my order (I gave them the wrong name for the order, want e-mail addys to remain the same, etc) and they handled it with no problems.

Less than three weeks after submitting the order, I get an e-mail that my equipment is ready to pick up. We ordered the 384/128 service, so we got an Infinilink I500 Ethernet-connected DSL modem in our kit. Plugged the modem in to the phone line and connected it to my computer. A few setting changes in Network control panel (set the IP and default gateway on the card that the DSL modem is connected to) and I was up immediately! The config program that comes with the modem, dsl-ON!, was unable to detect the proper settings for my modem, so I had to select the ATM Encapsulation Protocol manually. Tech support guy I talked to had no idea what I was talking about, and had to consult with senior tech 3-4 times, each taking from 5-10 minutes. Finally, got the right answer >

Phones were a bit noisy and I needed the Z-block extention filters. The kit only included one, but they gave me two more for free, when I went by their office. Excellent customer service on that point!

The company provided static IP addresses at no extra charge; you can request a dynamic IP if you want it, but they usually assign an IP.

One thing I really like about their plan is that they moved my dial-up and e-mail accounts over to the DSL billing account, so that we get a free dial-up account, in case the DSL goes down! Which it has done only twice in the three weeks we've been connected. Fortunately, these outages lasted only about 15 minutes each.

Overall, I'm very happy with Red Shift's service so far, and would recommend it to my friends. No weird PPoE drek was needed; Windows AND my Linux box are able to talk to it natively, which is good, because my Linux box is doing NAT now for my home LAN. One of their TS guys is a bit clueless, but I'm overall quite happy with their support. If you want good connectivity with no BS, Red Shift is your company.

Comments:

Review by bertha93921 See Profile

• Location: Carmel By The Sea,Monterey,CA
  • Telco party SBC
Good "Uninterrupted Service since Installation"
Bad "Trouble with Provisioning stage ( Carmel homes have no Street Address)"
Overall "I was up and running the day I needed to be and have been ever since!"

768/384 Kbps $69.95/Month 1 Static IP, Choice of Private or Public Domain (Public w/o RedShift Firewall )

Installation Day took less than 1.5 hours until I was up an running.

Service Technician was knowledgeable and efficient.

Equipment: Efficient SpeedStream 1 DSL RJ-11, 4 Port RJ-45 Ethernet, NonConfigurable.

Need to install own Firewall Software b/c of Choice of Public Domain.

Comments:

Review by neenz See Profile

• Location: Monterey,Monterey,CA
  • Telco party SBC
  • CLEC party: New Edge Networks
Good "Installer did a great job. Line is solid!"
Bad "Not as fast as I would like (Too far from DSLAM) Have IDSL."
Overall "Happy to have reliable service. Outages infrequent."

I originally ordered ADSL 384/128 with Pacific Bell. I live in a condo and even though a neighbor of mine had the service, I was told I lived too far. I kept pushing and was finally able to place an order when they extended their distance qualifications about six months later. The line was plug-n-pray (no installation needed because the modem was built for line-sharing) and worked great for two weeks. Then my line would go down every other night. I called in several trouble tickets and had two separate technicians try to repair the line. I was told there was a short and that it could be fixed but that my speed would be reduced. That was okay until the line went dead all together. Checking on my latest trouble ticket, I was told I was too far and that my line would not be restored.

I then opted for IDSL through Red Shift/New Edge Networks because I am over 19,000 feet from the DSLAM. It took almost 45 days to install due to some problems in provisioning the line. RS had their own installer (not a PB guy) and installed a jack where I wanted it and even ran some cat5 cable for me to another room. The service costs twice as much as before but the line is stable. I received free installation and equipment with a 12 month contract. I have an IDSL Efficient Router and I have a static IP. I pay for 128k and I usually get about 125k. I had to have my router re-configured once (It lost its settings after a power surge) but other than that, it has been pretty solid.