Pioneer Telephone Cooperative Inc. page on DSLReports

Review by Nanoo1972 See Profile

• Location: Kingfisher,Kingfisher,OK
  • Telco party Pioneer Telephone Cooperative
Bad "Overpriced monopoly, less than half of advertised speed"
Overall "You've got no choice thanks to the phone coop monopoly."

I live in Kingfisher, OK. Thanks to the shenanigans of some rural coop malarkey, there is no competition for service providers for internet. It's Pioneer or nothing (outside of using a 3g mifi device). I previously had Cox in Yukon, a town less than 40 miles SE of Kingfisher, and regularly got download speeds of 15-20 Mbps, for $40/month (part of a bundle deal with TV and phone). I'm now paying that same $40 for a 1.5 Mbps connection that hasn't sniffed .7 Mbps a single day since I got the service. Streaming video is an exercise in frustration. It's literally faster to download apps for my iPhone via 3G than to use the DSL connection via WIFI. Xbox Live has severe lag issues. Perhaps you're too far from the station and the DSL signal is degrading you say? I live less than 3 miles from the headquarters, which also houses the server and hub station. Unless they're doing a spiraling loop around me, I have to rule out that possibility. I realize for a large chunk of their clients, this is acceptable for reading Facebook and sending chain emails about missing girls, but for anyone wanting to fully experience the web with streaming video, music and online gaming, you're out of luck.

Comments:

Review by okietechie See Profile

• Location: Newcastle,Mcclain,OK
  • Telco party Pioneer Telephone Cooperative
Good "Good Price for DTV, Phone and Internet, Fast Speed"
Bad "Techs think changing equipment fixes everything!"
Overall "Good Price, Local Tech Support, Same Day Tech Visit if needed!"

Pioneer has gotten much better since I first started service in 12/2009! The Internet was slow and very few packages to choose from and latency was very high. I since have had a recent problem fixed and am very happy with my service and now am able to have a faster connection. Per tech support Pioneer just acquired and added more bandwidth to their network making latency issues disappear. I do have to say when a problem does arise the field techs think that changing out equipment fixes everything! It took me a couple of calls/visits before I said enough and called a higher up person who had helped me with a DTV issue last summer and he had them change my ports and the central office with a much better experience, as I was told by the last tech the "shelf" I was on in the office was at full capacity. Otherwise service is good, DTV, is good and same with telephone! Only thing I wish they would do is offer their services on a dry loop not requiring a dial tone for service.

Comments:

Review by Faell See Profile

• Location: Blanchard,Mcclain,OK
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Hight Latency"
Overall "Pass if you have any other choice"

UPDATE: 12/21/09

That horrid latency has once again resurfaced. I went from about 100ms connecting to CA to about 300ms every night. Starts off about 70ms in the morning and slowly increases throughout the day. 7pm - 10 pm, 'prime time', it's unusable. This problem just keep coming up. They fixed it up for a whole 3 months before it crashed again. I don't know what in the world the people at Pioneer are doing. I really hope it gets fixed again soon.

Comments:

Review by BoomerSooner See Profile

• Location: Apache,Caddo,OK
  • Telco party Pioneer Telephone Cooperative
Good "RARE Downtime, FAST speed"
Bad "Pricey Static IP Plans"
Overall "HIGHLY recommended"

Being 25 miles from the nearest "big" city, having any type of DSL is a plus. I've had Pioneer DSL for nearly 5 years now and it's only been down a handful of times in that period. Each and every time, they had us back up and runiing within 24 hours (most of the time within 8 hours). Phone support has always been responsive. They give you that "small town feel' but act like their entire business depends on you, the customer.

Only downside is the static IP plans are a bit pricey. 3 mbps down and 768 kbps up with a Dynamic IP is $49.95. If you want a single static IP, then it jumps to $79.95 a month. Four static IP's is $119.95 and eight is a whopping $149.95.

All in all, I'd have to give them a 4 out of 5. The 1 point taken away because of the price of the static IP plans. If you're not in need of a static IP address, then you'll most likely find them to be a 5/5.

UPDATED 06/27/09 - Pioneer recently informed static IP customers that their IP address was going to change. We received instructions with the new IP address and the timeline. The switch went absolutely FLAWLESSLY. No problem whatsoever other than the usual wait for the new IP adrdress to propogate to other DNS servers. In two days, all was normal. As I stated in my original review, I highly recommend Pioneer for DSL/Internet service in the areas they service.

(NOTE: I had originally posted this a few years ago but recently noticed that I inadvertently posted it to Pioneer Internet out of Kansas. This is meant for Pioneer Telephone Cooperative Inc. based in Kingfisher, OK)

member for 10.8 years, 3489 visits, last login: 1.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by mallin See Profile

• Location: Comanche,Stephens,OK
  • Telco party Pioneer Telephone Cooperative
Good "Used to have good DSL service"
Bad "Then they ruined their DSL service with their IPTV over the same line"
Overall "Consistently degrading DSL QoS over the past year. Worthless for P2P at this point."

I read the comments by mover2k and the reply by Pioneer. I can't believe Pioneer is resorting to putting the lie that the IPTV is not affecting the DSL in writing and in public. mover2k - Do this test to prove to yourself how much the IPTV is affecting your DSL. Go turn your IPTV receiver box at your TV OFF. Do a speedtest.pldi.net. What you should see is your speed quickly peg out at 3 Mbps and just stick hard with no fluctuations. Now, go turn your IPTV receiver box back on and do the same test. What you will see is a slow and jerky ramp up that will end up oscillating between 2 Mbps and 2.4 Mbps. It's not just the almost meg of speed we're losing that's killing P2P activity - it's the sporadic throttling going on. Also, do some visual trace routes and see how many hops they have us going on through sprint's network - I have 18 hops and one of those suffered 100% data loss.

I spoke with Pioneer yesterday to try to get information on their upstream provider because they claim they are trying to "work out issues" with them. They refused to give me the name. Pioneer is a cooperative - I should be able to request that information and receive it.

At this point Pioneer has a monopoly where we live and are misleading their customers. They put out press releases that this whole IPTV business was because they "listen to their customers". The majority of their customers don't care whether the TV comes over a cable or a phone line - give me a break. It was because they could increase customer base without cable-laying costs. And they seem to not care that their DSL internet customers are still paying $80/month for far less product and worse quality....yeah, they listen to their customers.

I plan to drop their TV and get Direct TV. Then I will eventually drop their internet - if it takes getting my own Comanche coop together and getting a T1. I have been unable to raid in well over a month...I've suffered almost a year of degrading service and at least that long of lies in response to inquiries about what is wrong. I'm done.

Comments:

Review by brianh5 See Profile

• Location: Kingfisher,Kingfisher,OK
  • Telco party Pioneer Telephone Cooperative
Good "When you call them, a human picks up the phone, no matter what day or time it is."
Bad "They seem reluctant to do anything that might have them go out and talk with another company."
Overall "Only choice I have for broadband, and I feel I'm getting stuck with bad performance."

Lately, as in within recent months, the connection quality of Pioneer DSL has taken a hit, and there seems to be no acknowledgment from Pioneer of any problems at all. I have spoken with them both as a home customer using a personal DSL from my home, and a business customer using a static IP from my place of work, and there is yet to be any resolution to this problem. The infuriating issue is that I have been told by not one, but two different techs that there is "nothing they can do" if the problem isn't within their own network.

It is very possible that the problem actually isn't within their own hardware, because their own speedtest set seems to show beautiful performance. However, trace routes show that packet loss begins to happen right at or shortly after leaving their boarder router. I have provided them with this information and many speedtests from various sources, but they seem to have no interest in trusting any test other than their own and refuse to take this seriously. This is a problem that is potentially effecting all of their customers and they are sitting on it because there is no urgency from fear of losing customers, because they are the only provider in the area.

If they are indeed having issues that are beyond their own network, they should at least make an attempt to speak with the individuals who seem to be the source of the problem and try to get this multi-month issue resolved instead of dropping it with a shoulder shrug every time I call them about it.

Comments:

Review by mover2k See Profile

• Location: Comanche,Stephens,OK
Good "local company"
Bad "inconsistent bandwidth"
Overall "too much money for poor performance"

every night my connection becomes pretty much unusable. I'm sure it's because of all the tv programming being sent over the phone lines. I'm lucky to be able to download at 200k after 6pm. WTF??? isn't IPTV for use with FTTH? I don't think there's a fiber-optic cable in the whole freakin' pioneer service area. I cant play Halo3 because everyone in my little town is watching their crappy pioneer DTV and its sucking up all the bandwidth. I want some competition. Pioneer is the ONLY option for broadband where I live, and I pay for 3mb download. I want that 3mb ALL THE TIME!!!! AS it stands , I only get good downstream bandwidth when no one in my town is watching TV. Does this seem fair? Am I overreacting? Is there a state agency I can complain to? I have had it up to HERE!!! Thank you for letting me vent, this is a very frustrating situation.

member for 11.3 years, 589 visits, last login: 1.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by wedgef5 See Profile

• Location: Blanchard,Mcclain,OK
  • CLEC party: Pioneer Telephone Cooperative
Good "Very reliable, good speed"
Bad "Pretty pricey"
Overall "It's the only broadband in the area"

Pinoeer has good speed and reliability. They are proud of their service, and their price reflects it...about $50 for 1500/256 service. We've had a few issues with their email admin, but nothing too serious...they just get a little over-zealous in blocking spam sometimes.

The order/install process was smooth. Dynamic IP via PPPoE. Don't remember the equipment now.

Comments:

Review by Strgazr See Profile

• Location: Blanchard,Mcclain,OK
  • CLEC party: Pioneer Telephone Cooperative
Good "Easy install."
Bad "Great connection, so-so speeds, expensive."
Overall "Only choice for high speed in this area."

Only one installer in my area (small town). Made appointment for the next week. Installer was right on time and very nice. Installed quickly, connected right away. Has worked great since with only two slow downs in speed, but that was during severe thunderstorms. The pricing is for DSL and ISP, the equipment is $150.00 for modem, and any filters needed and all equipment is top quality brand name. This is very comparable to what you would pay yourself at a store. I am very happy so far.

4 Years Later:

The connection is nearly perfect. I haven't found it to be down in over 2 years. The speed is usually only half the 1.5mbps is should be. But, now that cable companies have faster speeds for less than half the cost, Pioneer is falling behind the times again. There have been no improvements at all in the last 4 years, just the addition of a pricing scheme for slower speeds.

member for 13.2 years, 1849 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Jeff Harp See Profile

• Location: Dibble,Mcclain,OK
  • Telco party Pioneer Telephone Cooperative
Good "Good speed. Up almost all of the time. They post honest reports about their down time on their home page. Friendly install."
Bad "They won't live up to their agreement on billing. I have a contract for automatic billing and can't make them honor it yet."
Overall "Good service. Bad billing technique."

The actual service has been very good. Up time is very good and they get it fixed quick if it goes down. They supply DSL to small communities that others don't consider worth their time. The bad side is that they haven't lived up to their contract on billing. I signed up for automatic withdrawl and they haven't honored it yet. I have made several trips in to try to get this corrected, but they are not willing to live up to the contract. This is the only bad feature and may only be local in nature. Other than that, I am very pleased with the service.