RCN CABLE page on DSLReports

Review by cdr1000 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Price"
Bad "Customer retention policy"
Overall "Poor customer service and technical support"

Price: They use to give me a "promotional" price for years. Now they do not. Had to switch to TWC and back to RCN to get a new "promotional" price. Recently they added bogus sports and entertainment fees to my bill. They never learn.

Service: Technical support does not exist. Incompetent people are reading scripts.
If it is not in the script, they want to send a technician but threaten to charge a truck roll fee.

Conclusion: They have to wake up. FIOS is coming to our building and TWC is also available, not to mention rooftop antenna combined with Netflix, Hulu, AcornTV, etc.

Comments:

Review by Sparrow See Profile

• Location: Sachakhand
Good "Customer service and response time is great."
Bad "Speeds can be irratic."
Overall "It's not FIOS, but it's the best I could get here."

·RCN (DSL)
Accidentally posted under DSL reviews previously.

The best I could get was 75/5(?) for $59.99. When my speeds were closer to 35/5 (really...), RCN sent out another company to rewire from the basement up, at no charge and dropped my rate to $49.99. Now, three months later, they are offering 110/15 for the same price.

Ordering and installation went smoothly.

Arris router - have an inexpensive TP-Link for wireless.

The customer service is good, can't complain about that at all, but when you come down from FIOS, nothing makes you 100% happy anymore. You get used to it...
My mother liked to say, "You get used to hanging after a while, too," but she wasn't talking about anything even remotely related to an ISP.

Comments:

Review by pkluss See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Pricing"
Bad "Peak Hour Performance is TERRIBLE"
Overall "I can't be sure I'll get better elsewhere, otherwise I'd be gone already."

I've been with RCN for cable Internet (25up/4down) for years now. I really haven't had a serious issue up until the last few months, but since then it's been atrocious. I've had multiple service calls where they tell me everything is good and then when peak hours roll around my connection drops to 1 Mbps down (not exaggerating). I genuinely liked the company until I uncovered this issue and struggled to get them to care about it. The case is still open and I will amend the review if they manage to relieve the node congestion before I jump to Comcast, but until that happens I can say that I'm extremely unhappy with the performance.

The one thing that made me smile the other day (and this is a tiny detail) is their phone support automation. It's smart enough to notice when you call about an existing case from a recognized number and states "You recently called about an existing case. If this call is about that case, say 'Yes' to continue." I say "Yes" and I'm talking to someone in under a minute. That made me very happy and I let them know this.

Comments:

Review by scott523 See Profile

• Location: Upper Darby,Delaware,PA
Good "Price, Quick and simple installation."
Bad "Inconsistent speeds, Old debts ON property MUST be paid."
Overall "Best speed for the price. "

Story:
Returned to RCN after their previous management failed to match Verizon's offering in 2010 and now (2013) Verizon can't match RCN's offering under new management.

Unlimited phone covers North America and Internet speed is 50/5 Mbps.

Installation:
Installation was quick since I had RCN before. A simple DOSIS 3.0 cable modem was installed and a phone box down in the basement. I opted to connect my own Apple AirPort Extreme base station to the modem. This is one less equipment to return if I have to jump ship.

Good:
1. Best speed for the price despite inconsistent speeds (see below).
2. Quick installation and no software required.
3. Although I could have signed up myself, this offer was brought to me by a kind representative going door to door.

Bad:
1. Inconsistent speeds an issue, especially during peak time. Speeds can go from 5/6 to 30/8 Mbps. It's a good thing I'm not a power user or I may consider using Verizon FiOS which is reliable.
2. Upon signing up for service, the representative ran a check of any debts on the property. There was an unpaid debt NOT under my name but someone who used to live here. If I didn't know this person or if my service deal wasn't good, I would've turned away but I paid the discounted debt dating back about 5 years.

Comments:

Review by whitey4rd See Profile

• Location: Stoneham,Middlesex,MA
Good "Price"
Bad "the product, the tech support, the installer, their product knowledge, customer service"
Overall "I made a huge mistake trying to leave FiOS"

I have been a FiOS customer for years and used to work for the company installing FiOS. The costs have just been creeping up close to $170 a month and I'm trying to buy another house so I wanted to try to trim the fat. I have NEVER had a technical complaint with FiOS (maybe since I did my own install?) and truly believe they are the best product out there for cable and internet. I had 50/50 internet and a middle of the road cable package and no home phone. I recently upgraded to the Quantum TV for the ability to record 6 things at once.

I called to cancel FiOS and nobody tried to save me. I had $170 in early termination fees but was getting the first month free with RCN so figured it was close to a wash. I would be saving close to $50 a month with the following package:

"Premiere Family & Kids Pack+HBO+Basic Cable Service+Signature Cable Service+Starz+TiVo Quad Whole Home Bundle+TiVo Mini HD+Tivo Ethernet to Cable Bridge+Docsis Cable Modem Rental+Docsis 110 Modem Service 110Mb/15Mb" $110

My install was yesterday and I called to make sure I got the NFL Network (which I didn't) so I had to add a sports package for $8 bringing the bill to $118.

The install window was 10-12 yesterday. My mother in law called me at 10:45 to let me know he arrived, rang the bell, pointed at the telephone pole in front of my house, and walked away. She called me a little later, put him on the phone, and he asked me which provider I currently had. This made me a little nervous since Verizon FiOS is the ONLY company inmy area that runs fiber to the house and he should have known that. I stopped in for lunch about 2:30 and the guy was already gone.

I did a quick speed test from my Galaxy Note 4 on Wi_Fi and got 4Mbps down and 10Mbps up. I figured I'd try again later when I got home from work. I got back to work and e-mailed the guy who sold me the package (came to my house out of the blue) and let him know about the slow speeds. He said this was normal for right after an install and to let it get going. I re-iterated to him that I am in the IT world and wasn't going to fall for his bull like most people. He said I can simply call RCN support when I get home and they can fix it. I told him I shouldn't have to call support 4 hours after my install. he said this was quite common and natural.

I get home at 6 and my wife tells me On Demand doesn't work on either box and she was getting a message saying the box wasn't activated. I tested myself and found this to be the case. I know it sounds trivial but my 2 year old son loves Wreck it Ralph and we keep it on the DVR at all times for him to watch. he was unable yesterday. I did another speed test and got the same low speeds. I did a speed test on my hard wired XBOX One and got 50/50 but then realized that the Xbox was still connected to my FiOS router which was still active since I had provisioned my ONT as Ethernet rather than Coax. I looked behind the TV and the wires were a mess. He had taken my Xbox 360 out of the mix and placed it behind the TV. There were wires everywhere. I recently bought a Microsoft Wireless Adapter and had that in one of the HDMI ports on the back of the TV. I use this to project mu Surface 3 and phone to the TV. That was missing and I later found it on the floor behind the TV.

I went upstairs to the Master Bedroom where the TiVO mini was. Same deal it wasn't activated and it was an absolute mess behind my TV. The tech had also placed the modem here. I have a high end Asus wireless router behind the TV and I have a 1TB drive attached to it which serves media to my house. This was disconnected and sitting on the floor under the radiator.

I called the sales guy back and absolutely flipped when he told me to call tech support that "there are electronic devices and break sometimes". he said my experience so far was normal for any cable/internet company. I told him at this point to cancel my order and send someone to grab the equipment. he had a supervisor call me about 45 minutes later and I explained the whole thing to him. he assured me that the installer had been with them 15 years and this was surprising. He then said he was a contractor not an RCN employee so I was confused. I told him their first problem was they hire contractors who get paid by the job and are rushing to get to their next job and do a poor job. his response was "all the companies do it" to which I reminded him Verizon FiOS does not. He agreed and said "well Comcast does". Long story short I had him cancel the order and someone is picking up the equipment Saturday.

I called Verizon back and the order hadn't cancelled yet. They stopped the cancellation, upgraded me to 75/75mbps internet, and gave me a $20/mo bill credit for a year.

I made a huge mistake trying to save $50 a month. RCN has got to be the WORST company I have ever dealt with on so many levels.

****UPDATE**** Saturday 11/15

Someone from RCN was supposed to come pick up the equipment today between 10-12. Nobody showed and nobody called. I e-mailed the Sales guy since he was the only contact info I had. Someone from RCN called me about 1:30pm about the work order and I said nobody ever called or showed. She didn't bother to apologize she just asked when I was available next. I received the following e-mail response from the Sales guy:

"Hi Steve, You know I’ve asked about this install and it seems to me it’s all my fault for not knowing you had a complicated installation and making sure that you could be there for it.

It’s a shame because if I had known or if you had given us a chance to approach it a second time I would have had a higher level in house tech come out when you could be there and I think all would be great.

The pick up scheduled for today should have been scheduled as a All Day…….not sure what happened there.

I will have learned something from this. That is to make sure I understand the importance of having the main operator or home owner there for the installation. Again, My bad.

If I could do it again I trust all parties would be happily involved."

So RCN is considering my house, which has a Leviton box with splitters and punch down blocks and coax and cat5e run to every room, complicated. RCN is absolute garbage in every facet of the company.

Comments:
dplantz

join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA

RCN is good you had a bad sales guy and poor installer

I have had RCN internet/phone for years. Except for occasional dns issues its been great. I would like a higher speed package but I love uncapped internet. My only other choice is Comcast. I use Directv for TV service. Your issue here is with a poor outsourced tech who did not complete your install and not being home with a more complex setup than most. My setup is complex as well and any tech I have had has not messed with it ever.
rody_44
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

Dam

You installed video for a living and you didnt think you should be there during the install?
nozzer

join:2004-06-25
Waltham, MA

RCN is great if you take responsibility for YOUR side of the cable modem

It really shouldn't be the job of your ISP to look after what happens on your side of the cable modem. All your problems are there. Speed testing on a Galaxy Note on WiFi? Do you understand what you are doing?

I also gave FiOS the heave ho and couldnt be happier. My internet speed is twice FiOS and my price is also $50 less.

Review by lucasf See Profile

• Location: Somerville,Middlesex,MA
Good "tech support is great"

i have had rcn for 5 years.
recently upgraded to the Tivo TV package which has increased the bill by a ton, so not happy with that.
Rental modem has been needing full Co-Ax reboots more frequently for some reason.
Not sure if it is service or hardware, but it is annoying.
The speed and bandwidth are never a problem. We can have 5 devices going at once on our home network, and it's never lagged.

Comments:

Review by itdoesntmat See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "none"
Bad "Flaky service, blocking inbound ports"
Overall "Avoid"

RCN service is occasionally down without notice/email/communication. These days, an SMS or email is still receivable if my home internet is down (via mobile service).

Most detrimentally, inbound ports are blocked. 80, 22, 25, for example are blocked, which prevents me from working on my home computer while traveling. RCN Support does not even understand the concept of inbound port blocking and are completely useless. I am not running a company service on my home connection, I am just trying to connect to my personal computer and they are blocking me for no good reason. Obviously they do this to force me to purchase a more expensive unblocked plan, but breaking service in order to force me into a more expensive contract is infuriating, particularly when RCN support does not understand such basic terminology as "ports".

Here is the list of blocked ports for RCN Cable as sent to me by RCN support...

Cablemodem Side - blocked
Port 80 inbound (unless customer has Static IP) WWW / HTTP Service Prevents customers from running a WWW server
Port 25 outbound (unless destination is smtp.rcn.com) SMTP Mail Service Prevents customers from using outbound e-mail servers other than smtp.rcn.com Static IP subscribers are not effected by this restriction and may use any SMTP server they wish.
Port 135 RPC DCE endpoint resolution Prevent attacks via this port.
Port 137 NETBIOS Name Service Prevents attacks via this port.
Port 138 NETBIOS Datagram Service Prevent attacks via this port.
Port 139 NETBIOS Session Service Prevent attacks via this port.
Port 445 Server Message Block (SMB) over TCP/IP for file sharing Port is a security risk to customers if it is open.
Port 1900 uPNP port used mostly in LAN situations Port may be a security risk to customers if it is open.
Port 21 FTP Permits customers to use FTP
Port 22 SSH Permits customers to use SSH
Port 23 Telnet Permits customers to use Telnet Cablemodem Side - not blocked Service on this port Customer impact
Port 135 RPC DCE endpoint resolution This port is a security risk to customers if it is open.
Port 445 Server Message Block (SMB) over TCP/IP for file sharing This port is a security risk to customers if it is open.
Port 4444 Kerberos 5 to 4 ticket xlator | NV Video default This port is a security risk to customers if it is open.

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Try using diffrerent ports.

Try using different ports. Any decent remote access software will allow you change the TCP/IP ports..

I use port 85 for some of my remote login's.

ArrayList
DevOps
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA

use different ports

if you are technically inclined, learn to use different ports. This really is not an issue worth mentioning.
A sane approach to our federal budget: Ignore the tea party

Review by Maggs See Profile

• Location: Woodside,Queens,NY
Good "Stable Service"
Bad "Phone goes out when you don't have power for a few days :("
Overall "Much more improved, good work folks."

10/9/14: RCN has greatly improved since being bought out by a private equity firm. The speeds are fast, but there are still issues with DNS resolves at certain times. Overall value for the price is amazing. We get unlimited local, long distance, 25MB/2 internet, and standard cable service for around $160, can't beat that package. Although I don't like the new sports and broadcast surcharge, why not just raise the prices to add that in.

10/13/13: 2:51AM: RCN has us setup for the 25/2 package, and I can't even get anywhere close to that. I only get about 5Mbps/ 2000 from the last few tests I've conducted. It's probably due to the fact that I have a DOCSIS 1.1 modem the SB5101U. The fact that they charge $6 for a converter for RCN Signature Cable is nuts. Those units can be purchased in bulk by MSOs and they are cash cows after the first year. We pay over $160 a month for triple play, that's like a single play since they now require a modem to get their phone service which eats your electricity. They abruptly turned off our phone service at one point in order to let us know that they were switching out the services. It's not really a value for the money anymore and they way they itemize the bill is useless to determine what you're actually paying for each service. We setup auto bill pay for the credit card rewards at this point, and it saves a stamp to mail a bill out.

11/2012: RCN gave us a credit for the long Sandy outage due to power loss. I love the fact they have a new insert in the bill advertising the fact they now require converters and they are free. Turns out they have been charging us for over a year for the "free" converter. My cable modem rental fee credit negates the converter charge but that's not the point. They really need to unify their communications and get everyone on the same page here. I'm going to request a credit for the time period we have been paying for the "free" converter. All in all, the speeds were increased on the cable modem service, which is good. 25/2 service is nice, but I don't really need all that speed. I love how they now require an EMTA to receive digital phone service that needs to be plugged in for your phone to work, and how they unceremoniously shut us off and I had to call and find out they shut off service to customers who have not upgraded their phone service. It's nice that they decided to leave the piece of trash RSU bolted to the back of the house, it's their property and they should remove it when it is no longer needed as part of their service. The unit was discontinued and the manufacturer is out of business, so there's really no need for the unit to be bolted to the brickface of the house anymore. RCN really needs to up their game in the customer service arena in some cases. Also I love how people are so critical of RCN for outages of their service due to Hurricane Sandy, remember people it's a hurricane. They can't control the weather.

7/2011 RCN has got way better since I last reviewed them. I have the occasional "hungry squirrel" problem but that's not too wild. The TV service is TMC (Too Many Channels) but their cable modem service has been great for a while. I got upgraded to 10Mb service when they got rid of the 5Mb service. The bill however is slightly confusing since they don't really itemize too much anymore. All in all RCN has gotten way better. Knock on Wood.

10/2008: I had a problem with RCN, as noted by the newspapers with them charging for the 1st basic cable box which is free. I had to haggle with them for 2 months to fix it, but it was resolved after a complaint to NYC DOITT. Made my mother feel like a dope at the Woodside office, but you don't get good employees sometimes. Sludge happens!

4/20/2008: Haven't had any problems with RCN yet, except for the DNS, which is easily remedied by changing DNS servers, and the 20 second dropoff in phone conversations. The price has increased due to the cable programming being jacked up. With the introduction to all digital TV next year be prepared to pay another $7 a month for extra converters. Speeds on the internet service exceed spec most of the time. RCN forum support folk are awesome, they must really like their jobs. Inept construction crews decide to slice through RCN fiberoptic cable at times making internet service use a PITA at points, but that's very rare, but it happens. Con Ed sometimes decides the nodes don't need power in the summer, and they go offline during brownouts due to things outside RCN control.

All in all there's decent service, the 20 second dropoff in the phone at random times is something I still have to check out.

1/12/2006: RCN has GREATLY improved. The service has gotten immensely better since they have a new management team. You know what they say about fresh blood, it does all the good.

I had a couple of hiccups with the phone service lately, outages for a couple of hours but nothing really major. Cable modem service runs exceptionally well, and I haven't had ANY issues with my Motorola Surfboard 5100 modem, which I own, and save $5 a month with RCN.

Overall customer service, is very helpful, but you have to watch out to make sure they are doing things according to spec. Kudos to the cable modem team, for running a tight ship. I like the responsiveness of replies, and have helped the Cable modem team on occasion diagnose some issues in the area.

All and all, RCN is now worth the money, I only pay $115 for 2 TVs, Internet, and local phone.

1/10/03: I have had 7 techs out since I started service in Sept. They replaced the lines and everything. I even bought my own modem to use on the network. I was not able to get a solid cable light for 3 months in a row. At this point, it seems to be fixed. I had to end up going alll the way to the top of the RCN food chain to get my problems resolved. I just got a call recently from the operations manager of the RCN netowrk in Queens. They are monitoring my connection to make sure I don't have any downtime. I had constant downtime for 2 weeks a while back.

They blocked my node from accessing Newsgroups, and still charge me full price. I talked to RCN support and they said they would credit me 1 month of cable internet service for all the troubles I have had over the past 5 months, and that has not happened. So this company is full of broken promises and half truths. If you have a good connection with them, you are lucky. If not, like me your experience will be utter hell. I hope they don't raise the rates too much whe my year deal is up. If they do, I will complian about how horrible the service has been since the get go.

They send us advertisements offering new services, but we are already customers and not eligible for the promotion, so why waste the paper and send us the mailings.

»/quality ··· /1259432

Doctor Ping Score 63.70
Doctor Ping Score 75.10
Doctor Ping Score 73.30
Doctor Ping Score 70.00

Ever since that point on Sept 26th, I have never has so many problem with RCN cable.

I have to admit their bundled package was cheap, 2 TVs with basic cable (no converter needed) saves $6 a month each, Local Phone with same # as before for $20 unlimited to the 5 boroughs on NYC, regional 5c a min, no Long Distance (since we use cards to call LD anyway)

Total for the whole package with a base of $75 comes out to $95 with the $20 the govt gets in taxes. All and all , I think this is a great deal.

My old bill was for $150 with all the mentioned stuff. I even save $5 a month by using my own cable modem which I bought on Ebay for $50, the same type as TW the RCA 245R.

Great Choice if you have it in your area, but only in the 2 way cable modem markets though.

5000/800 Down /Up speed
4 emails (con need to be called into the head office to setup)
10 Mb webspace per mailbox
Usage checked for mail and ftp

7/18/04

Routing issues are a constant pain. Sometimes it takes 3 mins or more to resolve the DNS. I have had 3 cable modems on this line since install about 10 months ago. I have had over 15 techs out to my house to fix various problems. Many of these issues have not bee resolved to this day. If I were you I would stick with TW, much more expensive, but hey you get what you pay for, but in the case of RCN, you DON"T get what you pay for.

member for 12.3 years, 3542 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
dplantz

join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA

Get a new modem and you will have faster speeds

They are discontinuing the older 1.1.1 spec modems. If its rented go to the nearest office and get a 2.0 or newer modem. Order a 3.0 spec modem if you own it. I recommend the the motorola modems. I got mine from Amazon Your modem is the cause of slower speeds with RCN

Review by timmay_lars See Profile

• Location: West Roxbury,Suffolk,MA
Good "Unlimited usage, great performance, good reliability, static IP service."
Bad "price goes up over contract, support is poor when service is down"
Overall "good value for price, great reliable service - tech support room for improvement"

Recently upgraded our service to 110Mb/s downstream. Tested it at 66Mb/s downstream - closer to 110Mb/s distributed across multiple systems.

Huge performance improvement on video (VUDU) 1080p while gaming and downloading data. Prior we would often have annoying buffering when our tech savvy family of 4 used the various internet apps.

The service has been very reliable over the past few years. (estimate 99.9% uptime) But the one day a year it is down - tech support is awful. Tech Support will usually claim it must be an issue with the customer's end - and suggest many silly actions like replacing the modem. Typically waiting 24 hours is all that's needed - but the other 364 days out of the year service is perfect!

Overall I would say I'm very happy with RCN, primarily because it is Unlimited, High-bandwidth, and very reliable.

Comments:

Review by ArrayList See Profile

• Location: Brighton,Suffolk,MA
Good "Fast, no caps"
Bad "no IPv6, could use a faster upload"
Overall "Better than Comcast by a long shot"

I can't wait for the upload to get a bump.

Netflix works, no caps and a great promotional price.

member for 10 years, 2483 visits, last login: a few hours ago