RCN CABLE page on DSLReports

Review by JKrums See Profile

• Location: Allentown,Lehigh,PA
Good "Its Internet! Faster than DSL but unstable."
Bad "Installation, Very Noticeable Lags at times"
Overall "Use to be good - but for the past year its sub-par."

When RCN was in bankruptcy they offered better service than after the emerged. Technical support is non-existent. Technical support sessions are mainly filled with an unqualified technician finger pointing at anything they can. Installation and Troubleshooting is almost all subcontractors now. They are not very skilled in working on problems. Price is too high for the poor quality of service.

member for 12.8 years, 134 visits, last login: 4.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by AlAboos See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Perhaps the fastest upload/download at a good price."
Bad "Packet loss ever since it was installed."
Overall "Good for surfing. Avoid if you can't deal with packet loss."

Update:

Cons:

Sick of this packet loss - gets worse by the hour. Stay away from it unless you want to use it for occasional "newspaper" reading or have high tolerance for 30%+ packet loss.

Cable box freezes once or twice a day and needs one finger salute to start.

Pros:

No big brother like Comcast. It's nice when it works fine (a few minutes a day?).

Conclusion:

20/2 is just a nice thing to hear. Get a slow DSL if you're a gamer...

member for 12.8 years, 207 visits, last login: 7.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by lcoady See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "peak speed above 10Mb/s, easy to install, cheap"
Bad "average speed around 1Mb/s, lowest 512kb, high latentcy"
Overall "not worth the money"

i think my experience with rcn cable service is tainted by the fact that practically all the people in my building are using them for internet. either way, i had the 20Mb/s service and very seldom saw more than about 1Mb/s especially during the day and evening. In the middle of the night or early mornings my speed was much better. They have clearly oversold their network by a huge amount and the quality of service you get won't be worth the price.

Comments:

Review by dtdth See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "10mbps downlink is awesome"
Bad "6% packet loss minimum, disconnects often, horrible customer service, telemarketing."
Overall "Stay away from RCN!"

1 : Signed up for a 10mbps cable modem + "Digital Vision Plus" package. Installation was a breeze. The cable guy stopped by to install cable modem / cable box, and it was all set. I even asked the guy to upgrade from a regular cable box to HD box. -- Unlike phone company no need to wait for service "activation".

2 : However, the sales people lied to me. They said no cable modem rental fee, no cable box rental fee, but it ends up showing on my account.

3 : Output from cable box is choppy. Had to cancel Digital Vision Plus on the first month, as connecting cable directly to my TV gives better output.

4 : RCN keeps billing me for the HD-DVR/DVP for the next two months after I returned the box. Had to call them 3 times to get this fixed. Each time I was promised that it's been taken care of. (Total ~2.5 hours wasted on these 3 calls.)

5 : Starts receiving automated telemarketing call from RCN from just 2 weeks after signing up.

6 : Had to reset cable modem once or twice a week on average. On a bad day, I had to reset it every 10 minutes.

7 : Severe packet loss (6% minimum) rendering many applications unusable. Can never reach 10mbps speed unless the data is fed from CDN hosted within RCN border.

8 : I really have no time to bother with RCN's incompetent customer service. So, ditching RCN for ATT DSL seem to be a reasonable choice. Just switched this morning and couldn't be happier. I only get half of the downlink, but no packet loss.

Bottom line : Stay away from RCN. Even though they have monopoly in various Chicagoland area, they had filed for bankruptcy protection. That's a good indicator on how competent this company is.

Comments:

Review by chakey See Profile

• Location: Easton,Northampton,PA
Good "20mbps down and 2mbs up, best service available"
Bad "Very rare outages and price"
Overall "The fastest, most reliable service--but you pay for it!"

ORIGINAL REVIEW (updates below)

I've had RCN Cable/Internet (Power CI) package for $106/mo. for 9 months now. It includes digital cable expanded tier, HBO's,10Mbps/800kbps internet service, wire maintenance and rental of a modem.

I went from Verizon DSL at my old house in NJ and nearly died when I saw my speeds jump 15x's. I've downloaded some files from Apple and Microsoft that are clocked in at 1.3 megs/sec. That's ONE MEG every .7 seconds! RCN seems committed to always having the fastest service available. They are currently testing 20Mbps/2Mbps for use in the future. I am paying for the Mach 7 service and get Mach 10 for free for a year.

Installation people were nice and provided all the info and equipment we needed. Installation was, of course, free.

I've called customer service several times and they were always helpful and the hold times short. I've read some horror stories, but I've had good experiences.

Of course, I'd be happier with a cheaper price, but my alternative it one way cable from Cablevision for the same price and Verizon DSL which is 10x's slower and $10 cheaper.

****UPDATE: 3/14/06

Price increases!!! It seems that every month my cost increases. I am up from $106 a year ago to $135 this month. It seems to creep up a few $$$'s each month. We did receive an upgrade to all of the premium channels (without asking us) but since we have HBO, that is an additional $18/month. Seems a bit steep for the Sopranos. When their 6th season is over, I'm dropping it!************

****UPDATE: 7/30/06

I figured out that part of the price increase that we experienced was that my year of free Mach 10 was up. I downgraded to the Mach 7 (which has the same 800kbps upload) and saved myself the extra $10/mo. What I really want is more upload speed. It makes no difference to me to have the extra 3Mbps down. We still have all the premium channels. The best part about the premium channels is their on-demand movie and show offerings. We have not been to Blockbuster in months! Bye-bye Netflix!

Back in April my internet connection suddenly dropped to 2 or 3 Mbps for about a week. I really didn't notice until I ran a speed test. I called RCN and they had a tech out the next day. The tech added some filters before the modem and replaced some wires on the outside of the house. He was extremely helpful and everything has been smooth since then.

When I tell people that I live in an area with (booming God voice) "Cable Choice", they stare at me blankly and usually say "WOW! It must be so cheap and reliable." They are disappointed when I tell them that I am paying $125 monthly. The real difference seems to be in customer service. When I had Patriot Media in NJ (who was RCN before that) they were not very swift. It seems that the customer has some more pull in an area where there are two companies. The other minor difference is that both cable companies in the area have to put up billboards for advertisement. Whee...***************

*************UPDATE 9/13/06 -- I just learned that 20/2 service had become available in my area. I called a sales rep and we worked it out so I was only paying $15/mo more than before (dropped HBO). After rebooting my modem, it was smooth sailing. Speed tests are averaging 16/2. The higher upload is fantastic. **************

*************UPDATE 7/14/07 -- I've moved to NJ and am in Fios country now. I'm getting the same channels as RCN, and faster internet for $50 less per month. No love lost here....***********************

Comments:

Review by Lords1 See Profile

• Location: Allentown,Lehigh,PA
Good "connection is always great & fast"
Bad "Billing, service & fine print contract rules corrections are to screw customer"
Overall "RCN loses me my money & services with no regard for my losses"

I ordered 10 MB service for a Friday PM install last November.
RCN would not tell the installer to schedule me for after 3:30 PM...
I had to leave my work site to be home at 12 PM.
No one showed up, but at 4:30 PM I got a call on my answering machine
from RCN dispatch telling me that they were late but would be out in an hour.
I never heard from RCN again, and they didn't leave a call back number.
That night, I talked to tech service who made a post in the dispatch terminal
to call me to reschedule ASAP early on Saturday AM
because I was without internet service...
no one called back the next AM so I called them.
On two phone calls the next AM they told me to wait for a call back in 90 minutes.
By 1:30 PM, I was offered to schedule install on Tuesday AM!!!
I told them off nicely and scheduled it with the provision that
only if they couldn't get to me sooner.
Tuesday AM was confirmed and they came at 3:30PM...screwed around for 3 hrs, and left without my computer getting the connection to the internet even though the modem was connected to their server. I bought my own modem & router and that fixed the problem with my computer connecting.
Next, RCN was billing me for a modem rental that I didn't have as well as an installation fee, which was in the deal as free.
My monthly charge for service was $34.95.
I also referred a customer of mine to RCN and she bought 5 MB service.
I applied for the $100 credit from the 'refer a friend' program.
After RCN had my first bill over $125 for two months, I lost my internet service.
I was in Wisconsin on a Christmas visit that lasted over a month when RCN cut my internet service AND cut off my 80 yr. old mother's cable TV service.
They were called to restore the paid up service and blew her off for a week
with the lame statement that she would be credited for the time of no service.
I called them to apply my $100 credit from the refer-a-friend to my $125 bill, and accept the balance by USPS money order.
They said that they didn't have my refer-a-friend application.
Next, they were paid all the money and the $25 restore service fee to get online again and 3 weeks after receiving the payment the internet was not restored.
I had to call them and wait for 4 days before they restored service.
Now I find that my expected 2 month bill for $72 is over $200 because somewhere in the small print of their contract, once I was late & and had service disconnected, they were allowed to break the contract and charge me almost double the rate that I had ordered service for ($65.95).
I also found that I was not going to receive my refer-a-friend $100 because if either one of us had made a late payment in a 90 day period, RCN didn't have to pay me, even though the account remain 'on' all along.
RCN is a scumbag business with no customer care basis. They are predatory and conniving in their business practices and without regard for their errors and omissions that they give their customers. I plan on pursuing legal & regulatory action against them for the loss of my $500 income while I waited for them to install service, as well as forcing them to return me to my original monthly cost of service of $34.95 for 10 MB service. I also want to force them to have to provide immediate repair service for their errors that cause customers to lose their services.
RCN needs to get their butts straightened out because they're arrogant and unresponsive...and their road people are really unprofessional as well.

Comments:

Review by KhaosX3 See Profile

• Location: Clifton Heights,Delaware,PA
Good "Introductory Price"
Bad "Customer service and tech support"
Overall "Pick another company if available"

**Monday** so last night i called again - and after waiting on hold another 45 minutes, finally talked to a supervisor, who assured me someone would be here bewteen 10-3 today to reconnect my cable...It's 7pm, and I'm still waiting. I called again, and they now tell me its an all-day order, meaning they could be here as late as 9pm. Too bad for them, maintenance is gone and they wont be able to get in the patch room even if they do come. I resign myself to another night without TV.

I have had RCN for about a year now. They had a much better introductory price than the local competitor, Comcast. Apparently, that is the only selling point. The level of service has been questionable since day one. At least once a month, I have to call be cause my box malfunctions. It has now been replaced twice. 2 weeks ago, they had a major internet outage and it was out all day. The first time I called I was given an ETA of 2 hours, the next time, after waiting 50 minutes on hold, I was told 8 hours. Today is the last straw - I will be dialing 1-800-COMCAST. I called last night because my cable and internet was out. After doing some troubleshooting over the phone, they determined it would be necessary to send a tech out. I was then told they would be here tomorrow (Saturday) between 8-11am, and if my cable started working in the meantime, I needed to call or I would be charged 49.99 for a service call. After waking up at 7 to see if the service had been restored, I wait around for the tech who never comes. I finally call tech support back, and they tell me that was scheduled for NEXT Saturday.(you've got to be kidding me, right?) We then reschedule it for Wednesday morning, I tell them I can only be home until 10am, and they tell me if the tech shows up after that I will be charged. I proceed to just schedule it for NEXT Saturday, as I cannot call off work and have no alternative. In the meantime, I am determined to fix this myself, if possible. I go out and buy all new cabling and start from the wall. That has no effect, and there is no signal at the outlet. I call back and inform them of this, but they are adamant I am not qualified to determine this and they will need to send a tech out NEXT saturday. I talk to the maintenance guy at our apartments later that afternoon, I tell him the problem I am having, and he tells me that Friday morning he let RCN in to our building to shut the cable off at the patch box for my neighbor who moved out next door, and they probably turned off the wrong cable; letting me know they do this often and this would not be uncommon. I again call RCN, wait on hold over an hour, to be told the same thing, there is nothing they can do until next Saturday,unless I am going to be here during the day. I will not be paying another RCN bill - I am calling COMCAST first thing Monday morning, it will be well worth the extra money.

Comments:

Review by andrewjc See Profile

• Location: Drexel Hill,Delaware,PA
Good "somewhat cheap"
Bad "everything. horrible packet loss, tech support is a joke, constantly losing connection"
Overall "stay away."

I live in Drexel Hill, PA. A couple of months ago RCN took over our current service ( previously drexelcom ) after having no service for a week and having no luck getting someone to come out we finnaly were told out modem wouldn't work with RCN. we would have leased one from them but they said it would be a week before someone could come out so we purchased our own. we got online that day and the connection was decent, not that great but they were still switching the lines so slight problems were to be expected. after a month we realized these "slight delays" wern't going away. I constantly get packet loss ( anywere from 5-40% ) and many nights have no connection whatsoever during "prime" hours ( around 5pm-9pm ) the service is terrible and overpriced. they tried to make us sign up for a package with their phone service to save a couple dollars a month, i thank god we didn't. After talking to some other people with RCN in my area i've heard the same things over and over;

"it's a great connection, when you have it"

bottom line, if you're in southeast PA, stay away from RCN.

Comments:

Review by jedithief See Profile

• Location: Easton,Northampton,PA
Good "Fast"
Overall "N/A"

I just called RCN to order the Mega Modem Mach 7, they said that they are out of this package (strange) and that I will be getting the Mach 10 instead at the same price as Mach 7 for 1 year. How cool is that??
That’s 10.0 Mbps Download and 800 Kbps upload.....freakin cool!!

..................

Update

I have upgraded to Mach 20
The advertised speeds are 20000 / 2000

So far I am only getting 14000 / 1900
I have tried to speed the connection by raising the RWIN to 511104 bur it has not helped.
Would love some feedback on how high the RWIN should be with 20mbps.

Another Update

I am not happy with the 20/2 plan (Mach 20)
No where near the advertised speeds. Sometimes my speeds are below Mach 10 speeds.
Speeds averaging 14000/1700
Considering a rollback to Mach 10. :-(

member for 12.8 years, 155 visits, last login: 3.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by mosey See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Middlesex,MA
Good "local office, they're not Comcast"
Bad "absolutely atrocious customer service, wiping out dvr programming"
Overall "DON'T USE RCN!"

I've had RCN for years, but got DVR/hi-def about six months ago. I found out TODAY that they are "upgrading" their programming guide, and that all DVR recordings, settings, favorites and future recordings will be deleted at midnight tonight. They claimed they phoned - no phone call. They claimed they put a message on the cable box - no message. They claimed they sent a letter - no letter. They will not refund the DVR fees for the past few months, despite the lack of notice, the lack of solutions, and the lack of appreciation for the # of years I've been a customer. Therefore, I am spending all the time I would have spent watching my recordings telling all the world on every message board I can find to NOT USE RCN if you are looking for a reliable company that will take you and your status as a customer seriously.