RCN CABLE page on DSLReports

Review by blargh0 See Profile

• Location: West Newton,Middlesex,MA
Good "Great upload speeds, good bundle, fast when it's working"
Bad "Modem resyncs during heavy usage, things went FUBAR after it rained"
Overall "A love/ hate relationship"

I switched to RCN cable 1 month after I moved to a new house. Following a tedious ordeal with Verizon DSL that featured me qualifying for 1.5M / 378k @ 11k feet then getting provisioned for 768k / 128k @ 18k feet and fiknally realistically getting 200k / 100k speeds @ 22k feet, I cancelled my 4 year stay with them and signed up for the Essentials CPI package with RCN (phone, internet and cable).

Setup was lengthy but pleasant. The installer was very informal and friendly and was finished in 1.5 hours. The first week of RCN cable was great-- I was constantly getting around 300k/s downloads with an unfathomed 80k/s uploads. Gaming was smooth as I saw pings of 50 (to and from the server) on east coast servers with no packet loss (Verizon DSL was better at Central/ European servers though due to more extensive routing). Slowdowns occured expectantly at evenings but the speeds were still more than fast enough for me.

Everything u-turned last Friday immediately as it started to rain heavily. The internet became unbearingly slow with downloads of only 20k/s and 50% packet loss in games. I ran a line-quality test and the results were rather shoddy:

»/quality/nil/1433673

My docsdiag readout at that time was:

System up time = 0 days 00h 01m 05.00s
Cable modem status = Operational
Upstream transmit signal power = 31.7 dBmV
Date and Time = 2004-06-26,18:12:49.0
Configuration filename = default.cm

I noticed the signal power and SNR was abit off so I went into my basement and directly connected the incoming cable line to the modem. My speeds doubled and packet loss was only at 5%-20%.

The next day, I went out and purchased a bi-directional amplifier ($32 @ Radioshack). Immediately after installation, my speeds were back to 300k/s downloads and packet loss was reduced to around 5%-15%. Now, my docsdiag readout was:

System up time = 0 days 05h 06m 52.00s
Cable modem status = Operational
Upstream transmit signal power = 33.2 dBmV
Date and Time = 2004-06-27,17:40:16.0
Configuration filename = default.cm

Nevertheless, problems remained as the modem kept resetting after heavy bandwidth usage (downloads and gaming) some packet loss and net congestion still occured (as seen in another line-test):

»/quality/nil/1434020

I decided to thus call RCN. After 30 minutes of troubleshooting with a tech, he put in a trouble ticket to the guys at networking. I guess I didn't receive the infamous rude treatments others have reported here at BBR as my tech was respectful and understanding. I'll update my situation if anything changes but for now, I'll give RCN a passing grade.

UPDATE: PL is now virtually gone and the tech service was absolutely fantastic. Downloads are now back at 300k/s and there are no more random disconnects.
My scores are adjusted to now reflect that.

However, there is a problem with RCN's dns servers. Websites load incredibly slow and some sites do not resolve at all. I just switched to a public DNS server and everything is smooth running again.

member for 13.7 years, 1119 visits, last login: 6.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by marc_rcn See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Middlesex,MA
Good "Great tech support"
Bad "Took a while to get everything running (in 1998)"
Overall "Great value"

I've been with RCN for nearly 5 years - phone for 7, cable & hi-speed for 5.

They have been great - minimal problems, and when I have needed tech support, they've been great. The speeds are regularly 2x what I experienced with MediaOne (provider that I switched from).

member for 12.9 years, 180 visits, last login: 2.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by Jonamerica See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Good package deals for new customers"
Bad "terrible service, constant outage, bad equipment, $50 fee to use your own modem"
Overall "I wish I had gone with DSL from the start"

When I first moved to Chicago I saw an ad informing me that I could get my cable TV (with two premium channel packages) cable internet (1.5mbps down / 250kbps up) and phone services (with caller id, call waiting and voice mail) for $99 / month. This sounded like a great deal.

So much went wrong, but since this is a review for the Internet server I'll stick to that. First off the installation occurred when scheduled, but the modem they gave me lost its connection and reset every 5 minutes. Of course the cable tech didn’t stick around long enough to notice and since he was out the door before I complained I had to wait 2 days for someone to come back to replace it.

The second modem was fine for about 4 months, then the power supply when bad, sort of. Every time you jiggle the cable, say when you bump the desk or tap your foot, the cable modem lost its power and you'd lose your connection. When the tech guy came to replace the modem he informs me that, "this is a real common problem but the company keeps sending these modems out."

Now I have a new Toshiba modem that looks good, but I decide, to save $5 / month, I'd go out and buy my own modem (one that I know is quality) so that I never have deal with bad equipment again.

RCN charges a $50 fee to use your own equipment. They claim this is to cover the tech that has to come out and check to make sure your modem will work (even though they have a list of compatible modems on their site) and to make sure there isn’t a "fire hazard".

Now being a tech guy I know how the system works. All they have to do is enter my modem's mac address into their system and I'm all set. This does not require a $50 charge. But they refuse to waive the fee.

I could easily get twice the speed for the same amount from SBC/Yahoo but to do so I'd have to cancel my phone, which is also through RCN. The whole thing is a mess.

Other things RCN has done for me: Double billed my account, stopped sending me paper bills and charged me for late fees, screwed up my phone line trying to install the phone service then tried to charge me for fixing their mistake the next day, cancelled my service accidentally, channel reception -especially on premium channels- is awful, the premium channels randomly go out and become entirely un-watchable, have gone through 2 bad cable boxes as well as cable modems, the speeds are extremely low compared to what else is available for the same cost, the average bill with fees and taxes in $115. Their fees alone turn their advertised price of $99 / mo to $105.

All in all this company is not worth my money.

Comments:

Review by joe9442 See Profile

• Location: Burlingame,San Mateo,CA
Good "extremely fast, cheap and I'm getting more than other services"
Bad "haven't experienced any yet"
Overall "RCN has been great so far"

I ordered a cable tv/internet & phoneline package from RCN. My cable connection is rated at 5mbps down & 800 kbps up and tests so far have put me at around 6mbps down and 800 kbps up so I'm definitely happy in terms of bandwidth. (Entire package was $113 a month, and I'm getting a helleva lot more than Comcast was offering for more money.)

So far I've had no problems.. a tiny bit of packet loss which I have heard is common with RCN but it hasn't been a problem at all with neither gaming nor bth.

Overall I definitely am happy with my choice and would recommend them in a heartbeat... the sales rep was also friendly which I've had bad experiences in the past with other companies. The tech showed up precisely on time and was also friendly.. they even had a representative come over and talk to me about the services I ordered for a little bit, he showed me a few things with the cable tv (video on demand etc) and although he wasn't very technical friendly he was a nice guy hehe.

Comments:

Review by dhl0 See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Middlesex,MA
Good "cheap"
Bad "internet service problems..no fixes"
Overall "fix or switch"

I've been on RCN for a week. Seemed like a good deal, getting cable tv with HBO & hi-speed internet service for $90. Had problems from the start with my computer resetting its ip address, that was sorted out a day later, but have been plagued with high losses of packets, which causes freezes and results in being dumped by servers. Not a huge issue for basic internet use, but makes playing internet games impossible. The most annoying thing is the customer support, which I've wasted many hours on the phone with, & E-mailed constantly, who can't seem to figure it out. They just say there's no problem with the modem & lines, & that its my ethernet card, but I've run all the tests & its fine. If anyone has any ideas or fixes or similar situations let me know. I will probably switch to comcast soon.

Comments:

Review by cxc4u See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Reasonable speed, uptime"
Bad "Slllllooooowwww response to service requests or inquiries"
Overall "If you know what high-sp33d means, then you won't have problems."

RCN has good uptime and good speed. Never been capped or anything that I'm aware of. Once, I got hassled because they couldn't find a modem that I returned, but they just gave up on that after a while.

For the last 3 years, they've been my broadband provider, and I just want to say thanks for the minimum hassling. I originally ordered a dynamic IP, w/ just basic service, no special speed rate. Then 9/11 happened, and they are kind enough not to charge me for the time I was there (believe me, I had plenty else to worry about!). Later on, they bumped me up to a higher speed cap (not that I really noticed, 'cause surfing is surfing) w/ no extra charge, and they're generally good with the install-uninstall, although I really don't know what the big deal (silly charges) with wiring is. Hey, w/ a staple gun and 100 ft. coax, I can make a pretty pattern too!

>$50 is not my ideal price point (I attend NYU but no connection to campus network, :-( ), but it's better than the "T-1" line by that other no-name provider in the building. Not to mention, OOL is kinda flaky around here. Their wiring is still present and I think their jacks are active, but they don't seem to officially sell service to my building. Oh well, so much for competition, eh?

Comments:

Review by tjrome13 See Profile

• Location: San Mateo,San Mateo,CA
Good "Bundled package, great speeds"
Bad "Not available in all areas"
Overall "Solid Internet, phone and TV all in one!"

I used to have AT&T (which then switched to Comcast) for my internet connection. The speeds were ok, but now that i've been able to switch to RCN, I'm spoiled! I live in the San Francisco area, so I have access to the Megamodem service, and it's great. My download speeds are very good, but more importantly, the upload speeds are typically 4x faster than anything I could get with Comcast.

I've also enjoyed the solid Technical support provided by RCN. They respond quickly and honestly to my questions.

Finally, it's nice to get my phone, TV and internet charges all on one bill (and the prices are cheaper than if I paid for each separately!).

Comments:

Review by datatransfer See Profile

• Location: Easton,Northampton,PA
Good "Reliable! Never gone out on me. Right quick."
Bad "There're bad points?"
Overall "Great service"

Thinking of broadband in Norhampton? Don't even dream of Verzion. I'm right happy with RCN- I simply can't find anything wrong with it.

Several months ago I'm downloading a file, and I'm thinking "Hooo, this is fast!"- run a speed test, and I've got 3000 down. Yep, that's right, we get bumped from 1.5 to 3, no price increase, no outage- they didn't even tell us! What kind of company does that?

Not only is it as fast as I'll ever need (800 up? Are you kidding? No.), but since we got 2-way, I can count on one hand the number of times it's gone down in two years. We have a very nice Toshiba modem that's done great with everything.

1800-ring-rcn is always there, always nice, and always helpful. I've really got nothing to complain about.

Except for price (and it could be cheaper), this is not a good, but a great provider. The telltale sign is that my last review was years old- I simply don't think of RCN, because nothing ever happens.

I think I'd pick RCN over anyone else in the country. Reliability is worth it.

member for 12.8 years, 1220 visits, last login: 175 days ago

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Do not use RCN service in Chicago"

I purchased a static IP address from RCN in July, since then it has changed 5 times and it takes up to 2 weeks at times to get the IP address that I paid for restored. Since the beginning of February, I lost the static IP again, and my cable modem service stopped functioning. RCN refused numerous times to restore the IP address that I paid for. Shortly after getting connectivity again, I lost service and it took a week and 5 technicians to find the problem and correct it. The my service lasted a day after that. They have sent 2 technicians out to check my lines (which I requested). Both technicians did nothing and left. During the second attempt at getting a technician, he showed up, refused numerous times to perform the repairs requested and attempted only to sell me more services. He was not called to sell me services, only to fix my problem. I called back and was promised his return that day. After an hour of no confirmation I called back and spent 2 hours on hold only to be told that they would not fix my problem. They have scheduled another technician, but I seriously doubt that the technician will do anything upon arrival. I have been lied to about my service being fixed, and overheard conversations while on hold between co-workers on the customer service line talking about drinking alcohol at work. I have been promised that my problems would be fixed I call but nothing happens. It has been a month of no resolution. I have been told by the supervisor of their call center on 2/28/04 that she did not care about my problems because I was not a corporate account customer. The technician that came on 2/28 refused to give me a signal amplifier and refused to test the signal strength on my cable line. I have spent over 15 hours this month on hold and over 8 hours waiting for technicians in this past month only to not get anything resolved. I have asked to speak with technicians concerning my problems and told that they will not speak with me. My home business is loosing money and customers over this and there is no remedy offered for my loss in revenue.

The customer service representative do not provide information or assistance with anything not involving just turning off my cable modem and plugging it back in. There is something more to this issues than simply unplugging my modem and plugging it back in. It is obvious that there is something else wrong at my residence, and they refuse to fix the problems. The supervisor that I spoke with on Saturday explicitly told me that the customer service representative that promised to transfer me to my local dispatch office probably transferred my back into their queue, which means I was lied to about who they were getting for me to fix my problem. I was also lied to about the fact that the technician was going to return to my residence that same day and actually fix my problem. I have lost a lot of time and energy that could have been devoted to my business trying to deal with this issue.

(review was emailed from domain sharedmarketing.com)

Comments:

Review by kenward1 See Profile

• Location: San Mateo,San Mateo,CA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "I like the Platium bundle it has everything"
Bad "Poor customer service, but getting better"
Overall "I STILL like it"

I've been a customer for slightly over 3 years now and I still like the service. Since i signed on, the speed of my service has gone up twice. It started out ~1.5 meg down, now it averages ~4.5 meg down and 600+ up. Now, after 5 years, I'm upto 10+ meg down and 700+ up

member for 14.8 years, 5304 visits, last login: a few hours ago