RCN CABLE page on DSLReports

Review by TweakFreak88 See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "No official data cap, quick latency"
Bad "Not getting full speeds"
Overall "Decent speed for the money"

The install tech was professional. He even gave me his email address if I were to have problems in the future.

I'm using a BYOM Cisco DPC3008 to terminate my RCN connection. According to RCN's diagnostic page, my signal is well within their specifications and my throughput cap is 53Mbps and 6.3Mbps. The modem is 8x4 channel capable, but it's RCN is only using 4x1.

I've yet to see more than 45Mbps downstream and 4.5 upstream regardless of what test servers I use, even RCN's own servers. The latency has been pretty good, it takes about 10-12 ms to leave the RCN network to the general Interwebs.

member for 10.6 years, 161 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by grapkoski See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
Good "TiVo, Value, Smaller Player"
Bad "Nothing too major"
Overall "A great alternative to the Philly Bully"

I am lucky enough to have a choice between RCN and Comcast in my building.

So far RCN has been exceeding expectations. Channel lineup is pretty comprehensive and speeds are very consistent. Only had one minor billing issue but was able to email my account rep - yes, a HUMAN and it was fixed. Their customer service is pretty unparalleled compared to any other cable company I have had.

Only two minor issues - OnDemand content isn't as wide ranging as Comcast (missing FOX and CBS) and won't be able to use RCN OnDemand on my owned-TiVo.

Overall, it is nice to support a company that is re-investing in the USA.

Comments:

Review by Wasted_Elmo See Profile

• Location: Elmhurst,Queens,NY
Good "75%"

being an RCN costumer for a long while i left TWC in the late 90's cause of the internet package RCN had going way faster then TWC

at the time i got RCN they hooked me up at no charge for first time installation 3Mb down 1Mb up topping the 1.5/768Kbps TWC was giving out and this was not true on TWC cause their network was flooded with users so you hardly see those speeds even with their association and purchase of AOL TWC was still not getting better

RCN supported their connections speeds and till this day they still do

when i first had RCN full package ran about $280+ and if i am not mistaken this was '98 but they still price this for full status package meaning triple play with movie package

now i would pay about 189 triple basic package with a Downstream Limit:78000000 Upstream Limit: 11000000 with two basic motorola top boxes and a TiVo DVR with a cisco cable modem

these stats come from the modem data speed net would capture me at 71+ depending on day and time lowest 65Mbps witch aint bad

but now verizon fios is here in my building and my cousin made the switch
so i am sad to say its been a long run but for 153 for installation including first month
and 124 a month after for two yrs aint bad.. so sorry RCN you have been great its been fun callings Costumer Service and hearing :we see your one of our loyal costumers thank you: is warming but my pockets are getting lighter so for now thank you.. your loyal costumer Ron

Comments:

Review by tadpole See Profile

• Location: Framingham,Middlesex,MA
Bad "Completely Useless Customer Support"
Overall "Going to drop service if not fixed immediately"

I have an RCN branded TIVO which I picked up at the local office and installed myself. It has had N33 errors since over a month ago.

I followed the TIVO trouble shooting instructions and it came back Friday today is Sunday and it's out again. I'm not going to keep power cycling this piece of junk and trying to reach phone support with RCN is hopeless.

I can't switch channels, record, browse the guide or shut it off (unless I unplug the box). Occasionally some functions will work with a lag of up to four minutes. For me this is typical RCN.

I have had very little good experience with this device. It has been trouble since I got it. C and N errors constantly. The only support I got was a call back from a guy named Dave Woods and that was after I’d fixed the problem myself using the TIVO instructions on TIVO’s site.

This is Sunday and tomorrow is a holiday so I don’t expect him to call back before Tuesday.

Comments:

Dawk2012

yep

Ive seen the same errors--they seem to be having some issues. Try rebooting your router/modem. If it continues call them.
Prior to this though the Tivo errors were few and far between. Service is generally rock solid. Ive had them for over 2 years.

Review by robgraves See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "TiVo offering."
Bad "Service can be spotty at certain times for Internet. Line noise."

TiVo service is great. US based customer service is easy to all to. Hard to negotiate better pricing but prices are very competitive to begin with. I get Starz and Showtime included.

Comments:

Review by cobain34 See Profile

• Location: Astoria,Queens,NY
Good "Tivo + HD is pretty great"
Bad "Internet speeds continue to fall, and customer service is uncaring and condescending"
Overall "If you are the one spending the money, you should get good service and a good product; that's not the case here"

The good: TV with Tivo service has transformed our viewing experience

The OK: Telephone service has dropped out on occasion

The bad: Our internet service. We pay for 25mBit/s service, but are
receiving only a fraction of that, and RCN will not rectify the situation.
When we first signed up we could download and stream videos at 2-3 MB/s,
but the last few months we could barely break 1MB/s. And if there is more
than 2 people on the service at the same time? Someone isn't going to be
surfing very quickly. If FIOS was available in my building, I would give up
RCN in a heartbeat. There internet is lacking (I have a feeling that they
just keep adding more and more customers onto the circuit without expanding
their bandwidth), and their customer service is woefully lacking - how many times will you tell me my internet is working fine when I've watch it get slower and slower?

Comments:

justdsl53

@rcn.net

Getting Help

Some folks from RCN monitor this forum and may be able to help with your internet issue.

»Getting Official Help..

rcnman
Jason Nealis
join:2003-05-02
Herndon, VA

RCN

PM me your info, account or modem MAC and we can dig into your modem issues, You should be seeing much better performance then this.
Jason Nealis,
V.P. Engineering and Operations

jerry513

Re: RCN

I am seeing 3 Mb/s on a 25 Mb/s account today. This seems to happen occasionally with RCN cable internet. There is no particular pattern for these slowdowns. Usually I get the full 25 Mb/s. What is going on today??

-from Chicago Loop

Review by MrWhsprs See Profile

• Location: Skokie,Cook,IL
Good "Great DL speed; no contract; decent price; friendly (USA based?) rep."
Bad "No discount for using your own cable modem."
Overall "Much better value than the regular price of Comcast."

The only other option in this area for cable internet is Comcast. We (my wife and I) had been using Comcast cable internet at a $35/mo promotional price under a two year contract. The contract was about to expire and the price would then go up to more than $60/mo, so I called Comcast and asked what promos or pricing deals they could offer. I spoke with two different reps, including one in the retention department, and explained that RCN's 25/2 cable internet is $40/mo. I also stated that for financial reasons I could really not do more than $40/mo for internet. Though the reps were friendly and seemed sympathetic, the best they could offer was $10 off of the normal (>$60) price.

I called RCN on a Friday afternoon and very quickly got through to a real human, and one who spoke English in a very clear and understandable manner at that. Also, she gave me not only the 866 number in case I needed to call back, but also her specific extension so I would be able to get through to her specifically! I don't recall ever being able to do so with Comcast.

I asked some questions about various service options and that went smoothly, with the rep being very helpful and friendly. It was slightly disappointing to find out that there would be no discount for using our own cable modem (which we'd been using with Comcast) so we chose to have RCN use their own modem instead. I placed the order for internet service and that was also a smooth process. They had install appointments available the following day, Saturday, with our choice (as I recall) of 8-11a, 11a-2p, or 2p-5p. We selected the 2p-5p option.

The installer showed up shortly before 4p as I recall, and he was done by 4:15p. As we'd been connected to Comcast previously and already had the drop in place and the wall jack and such, he only had to go up to the line on the utility pole and switch our drop from the Comcast to the RCN box, then come into the house and hook up the RCN-supplied cable modem.

While he was up on the ladder by the utility pole, the installed pulled the cable drop more taut at the pole to raise it higher over the yard. It had been so low previously that I could almost touch it just by reaching up. That seemed like a very nice, above-and-beyond-what-was-required thing for him to do. The Comcast installer two years ago had not bothered to take the 30 seconds to do so.

The cable modem that RCN provided is a Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2 ver 2.1, manufactured in August 2008. The information accessible via 192.168.100.1 is somewhat sparse compared to our owned SB5101 we were using with Comcast, but that's not a big deal.

The service we ordered is the 25Mbps download / 2Mbps upload, and so far speed tests bear out those speeds as accurate. Ping times seem to be low and we haven't noticed any slowdowns or lag during peak times of day. For a total price of $39.99/mo (including use of RCN provided modem), it seems like a pretty good value in general, and a much better value than the >$60/mo Comcast internet plan at similar speeds.

member for 14 years, 3392 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by shadyman777 See Profile

• Location: Allentown,Lehigh,PA
Good "Awesome Internet Service and TiVo Service"
Bad "None, Honestly."
Overall "Great Value, Great Service."

Seriously, get the TiVo. It makes everything so much better with cable service. Much better interface and more responsive than the RCN DVR.

member for 5.1 years, 2296 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dplantz See Profile

• Location: Roslindale,Suffolk,MA
Good "Quick Install"
Bad "Tech Support could be a little more knowlegeable"
Overall "Great Value for the Money"

RCN has been great to me over the last few months. I have had RCN cable modem in Roslindale and in the Allston sections of Boston. Both times RCN has given me a great connection and I have had few problems. The problems I have had came from my router malfunctioning, not RCN. They have expanded the service area in the Boston Area.

The speeds I get are great 25+mbs down and 2mbs+ upload. I I only wish that I had access the the internal web page of the emta to check signal. I have added a docis 3.0 Motorola 6120 modem. I can check levels fine with that modem. The emta works fine for a voice line.I wish that they did not charge 1 dollar for an online credit card or debit card payment. I like that they don't have data caps. I will miss there rock solid service once I relocate to Denver, CO. I will then have to use Comcast, at that point I will get Business Class service.

member for 13.7 years, 5182 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dslrep0990 See Profile

• Location: Brighton,Suffolk,MA
Good "Month-to-month service contract"
Bad "Lousy help desk, connectivity problems, RCN does not deliver what it sells"
Overall "RCN has cleaned their act"

·magicjack.com
UPDATE, JUNE 2012

RCN service had improved somewhat after I wrote this review so when I moved recently and discovered that they now charge a more reasonable $29/month for Internet access, I decided to give them another chance.

What a change!! This is a 180...

RCN is definitely providing a much improved service. I subscribe to the theoretical 20 Mbps. Connections are stable, speed is still not great but acceptable and much more steady. The service is up most of the time save for occasional outages but I have not had one that exceeded a few minutes yet. Even their customer service is better!

Just one thing that still sucks: monthly charges are supposed to increase for years 2 and 3. There is no good reason for that and it places a penalty on long-term customers. Why?? Go figure!!!

================================
Service ordered: high-speed (10 Mbps) Internet cable access only (no TV or telephony).

RCN charges too much for a service that does not deliver what they promise (I bought 10 Mbps service, but I never get more than 5 Mbps download and 368 Kbps upload).

Appalling customer "service", nobody mans the help desk & when you finally get someone (after many many minutes waiting on hold), they are inept and clueless...

Erratic connectivity. Occasional disconnections that can last hours, sometimes days. No information is ever provided to users before or after.

Bottom line: RCN service is a rip-off. Run in the other direction!

Comments:

CBL B0X

Rating

Don't forget to adjust your ratings as well.
tvdrew

join:2008-08-20
Washington, DC
·RCN CABLE

Pricing years 2 and 3.

Every company raises rates for current customers. They figure that once you're set up you're less likely to switch to another company than if you're choosing at the outset.

It is a hassle to switch. At a minimum you have to wait half-day for the service guy to show up for the install. Then there's returning equipment and for some people changing email addresses (although anyone who uses an ISP email address deserves the hassle).

That said, RCN's prices kept going up for me so I did switch.