RCN CABLE page on DSLReports

Review by mhogan_id8 See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Very reliable service"
Bad "Their billing department is awful!"
Overall "Not worth the misery"

It's really too bad. My connectivity has been failry trouble free for over a year - but I've had to call them at least 6 times this past year to correct billing problems. When you call, you're on hold - sometimes for an hour or more. There is no other way to contact billing services except by running their phone gauntlet (long waits, several transfers, sometimes only to be ultimately hung up on).

I set up automatic billing through my credit card - BIG mistake! After a few months thay stopped charging the card - then issued a late notice so I started paying by check. Then they lost one of the checks, later found it and tried to desposit after expiration and then charged me a returned check fee. After being promised a credit for the charge, I found months later it had not been corrected.

They double-billed me in one month, and then started debiting my credit card again without notice! Now a new charge appears on my credit card statement three times - they TRIPLE charged me!

I have spent many hours on the phone this past year, just for billing problems - it's just not worth the hassle. Now looking for a decent DSL provider.

Comments:

Review by md_215 See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Good speed, reliable connection, quick setup."
Bad "Billing is terrible! They never set up my email."
Overall "Great service, good value, billing dept may drive you crazy."

I've had RCN Cable for about 8 months. I ordered service before I moved in and they were prompt and able to setup the cable modem quickly. My installers were subcontractors so they rushed through the rest of the setup and didn't set up my email address, etc.

I've been very happy with connection speeds and uptime. I've only had one problem where my MAC address was deleted from the authentication db for some unknown reason.

The one thing to watch out for is billing! These guys are terrible. I had them set me up under automated billing. It worked fine for a couple of months, then no bills. A few months later I get a past due notice! My card hadn't expired or anything. I called and told them to turn it back on, they said "yes", but there was a problem since I was late in payment they couldn't bill my credit card, I'd have to pay by check! One supervisor later everything was "fixed". Yah right, they continue to screw up the automated billing and I get bills anyway. I try calling but often wait on hold for 45minutes before I have to hang up to go to meeting. Did I mention they only handle billing issues during business hours? Not Very Convenient. Anyway I could give you more detail, but I think you get the point.

Comments:

Review by spiff24 See Profile

• Location: Redwood City,San Mateo,CA
Good "no-nonsense, reliable and affordable"
Bad "minimal web site/support processes"
Overall "if you want internet/digital cable/phone in a single package ... great deal"

RCN's CPI (cable, phone, internet) Essentials service has been working very well for us for a month. The installers hit their target window (intentionally pushed out from agreement signing) and were 100% flexible in working with our existing home structured wiring system. After using Earthlink DSL - I would suggest that this service is more for the type who doesn't want or need a lot of hand-holding, guidance or add-in tools like spam/pop-up blocking. In our service area, the bandwidth and reliablity of RCN beats DSL due to our significant distance from the central office (and an uncooperative CLEC/Telco combination).

Broadband service is dynamic IP to a linksys router, and several operating systems (win98se, winXP, linux, MacOS) behind the router. Monthly cost (before taxes) covers basic digital cable, capped 1500/800 internet and local phone service. For the price we were paying Earthlink and PacBell/SBC, we now have cable as well - nifty.

For what it's worth - RCN's biggest opportunity for improvement is in web service and support. For example, if you wish to add in one of the other 4 POP accounts provided with the high-speed service, you need to do this over the phone, no self-service web site yet.

member for 11.2 years, 12 visits, last login: 10.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by damink23 See Profile

• Location: Watertown,Middlesex,MA
Good "Fast, reliable, very little down time"
Bad "Haven't had one yet"
Overall "Good Choice"

When I moved into my apartment my landlord told me about RCN and led me to believe that this was my only option. Later I found out I could have gotten ATTBI, but oh well. I have had no complaints on the internet side of RCN. Very little downtime and if there is any downtime it only has lasted for maybe a minute or two. The cable TV was a pain the first couple of weeks as some of the digital channels would not come in even though I signed up for the package. But that has since been resolved with a credit to my account for the days missed viewing.

Comments:

Review by tasais See Profile

• Location: Wakefield,Middlesex,MA
Good "The speed is very fast, The connection is reliable and stable"
Bad "The cost, Speeds are still too slow"
Overall "If its available in your area GET IT!!!!"

Everything about rcn is exceptional.
There speeds are fast.
The connection is always on and stable.
When you have the mega modem service and 4 ip addresses it gets costly around(80.00)a month.

Comments:

Review by MCSE1900 See Profile

• Location: Natick,Middlesex,MA
Good "Speed, reliable connection and great routing"
Bad "email support"
Overall "Unbelievable Value for the "Megamodem" service!"

I just found out that RCN offered its' "Megamodem" service in my area so I dropped ATTBI like a wet toilet seat and signed up! RCN offers 3 mbps download speed and 800 kbps uploads, and after 2 weeks of solid testing, they have lived up to their promise.

They have not oversold my area, and told me there are no more than 50 people per node (versus ATTBI's admittance that there were 156 on my current node). When doing a simple traceroute from my computer to ATTBI's own web page, www.attbi.com, it took 14 hops, nevermind getting outside their own network! I've had nothing but constant routing issues with ATTBI, and they don't accept traceroutes from outside their network for troubleshooting purposes (such as from www.traceroute.org). Goodbye and good riddance.

The only thing I really don't like is that RCN doesn't offer any DNS modification, so if my IP address changes while I'm away and I want to access my servers at home, I'm out of luck. Of course for $10 more per month, I can have a fixed IP address.

Overall, RCN's "Megamodem" service is simply unbelievable!

Comments:

Review by cavemann See Profile

• Location: Elmhurst,Queens,NY
Good "Nice Upload speed (90KB/s"
Bad "No outbound SMTP"
Overall "Over-restrictive Terms of Use"

Got tired of getting repeatedly sodomized by time warner for cable tv so switched to dish for tv, and rcn for cable modem and phone. Only once my service is setup did i discover that oh yeah, by the way, you cant connect to any other mail server. I call them up, relating to them that I need to be able to connect to my jobs internet mail server, which they tell me I cant do, I must use their mailserver, but i can use it with my work email address. This wont work, since my job has the mailserver configured that unless you do auth-smtp, if you try to send mail from the internet, through the server as myjob.com domain name for the sender, it gets bitbucketed, since obviously someone is trying to fake the sender. RCN does offer a solution however, for a "small monthly charge of $20" they'll give you a static IP address and let you SMTP out. F*CK that....i'm switching back to TW for cable modem and phone service

member for 11.3 years, 460 visits, last login: 5.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by kapitol See Profile

• Location: Gaithersburg,Montgomery,MD
Good "Excellent Pre-install, all the way to install. Blazing speeds and ping times!!"
Bad "Dynamic IP"
Overall "Excellent Value for Money, blows away an other broadband ISP I've seen."

RCN Cable Internet is the real deal. I have dealt with several ISP's mostly DSL, and have never experienced this level of speed. I recently moved back into the Maryland area, and noticed that RCN and Comcast@home was available. I did not want DSL anymore, and wanted to try cable. I heard some good things about both, and did some more research and decided I'd try RCN.

Pre-Sales: Was outstanding, they took my call gave me an install date and time, and the guy was early. Had no problem wiring my house, and the modem was up and synced right away.

Speeds are unreal: This was during peak hours at 6 PM

1492(down)/458(up)
(at least 23 times faster than a 56k modem)
I also liked that the upload isn't capped like it is with Comcast. I get better upload than I did when I have 512/512 DSL!

If anyone is considering RCN for Cable Modem access, I recommend it highly!

Update:

Well, those of you who frequent the rcn forum know how bad rcn is in the Maryland area. As a matter of fact, it seems to be the same way all the way down the east coast. It has going from a real solid Cable connection, to a laggy mess every night from 7 PM on. When you call in to complain or ask what's up they tell you its a known problem and we are working on it. I've submitted countless traces etc to show them exactly what router it is. I think they really don't care. I have a trouble ticket open from September. How is that resolving the problem? I think they are training their tech support people to say that, and just ignoring their crappy network and rounting.

member for 13.1 years, 389 visits, last login: 8.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by Luca Brasi See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "36 bux for 1.5/256kbps, im happy with it...better than being with AT&T or Ameritech,"
Bad "Took 3 weeks for them to come and install . Speed not blazing, i wish i had 3mbps+ DL and at least 500kbps UL!"
Overall "$36 for 1.5/256, the only ISP here offering that.."

UPDATE:

I want to add that I no longer have this ISP. Everything below is OLD. Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just incase your wondering, i have my own modem thats why i pay 36 bux. I called to order RCN, they said they would be at my house in 3 weeks. After agonizing days with 56k, they showed up, installed it quickly and i was online in a matter of minutes! The speed used to be 800/240kbps, but they raised the cap here in Chicago (and surrounding areas) to 1.5mbps/256kbps. And (so far) the price hasn't been raised to go along with the new caps. The pinges and uptime were HORRIBLE for a good while after they had the new speeds, but they fixed it after a couple of days i guess, because now i get good pinges and havent had an outage since. And the stall problem with downloads is gone after they had the new speeds. Around where i live its either i pay $40 bux for AT&T or $36 for RCN (same speed) or $50 Ameritech DSL (i think for 1.5/128). Extra 4 bux in my pocket compared to AT&T, and 14 bux compared to Ameritech.

I don't know about newservers and whatnot, since i could care less about it.

The tech support is OK.

- Luca Brasi

member for 11.7 years, 4003 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by PaTyoJoN See Profile

• Location: Chester,Morris,NJ
Good "None"
Bad "Downloads sometimes decent but usually very slow, Upload speeds are run by 56k and max out at a connection of 33000kbps"
Overall "RCN is a joke, they dont care about there customers at all, NEVER GET IT"

RCN is the biggest joke of a company that I have ever heard of. I have had RCN for Internet for the past three years and at least once a week i have called and complained about my internet service. Have they fixed it? No. Have they even attempted to fix it? No. So what do they do? They basically blame the other phone company and try to put the blame on possibly your computer or anything else. Even if it is so obviously an issure on there side they still try to bs you into blaming your own hardware. The upload is less than 56k, but at TIMES the download can be pretty good. I get home from school at around 3 and can go on the computer from then to anywhere around 8 before it barely loads a webpage. I get ping times up in the high 200s and they are constantly spiking. I have complained about this but once again they do not even attemtp to fix it. So why do i keep this service? I am kicking myself in the butt every day for paying this joke of a company any money at all but the next best thing is 56K. I figure, I have the money and at least being able to download songs and SOMETIMES having a decent connection is better than 56k. The sad part is half the times the 56k would be faster and much easier than this ONE WAY cable modem. RCN basically has a monopoly over my street and part of my town because we can not get any other cable service or DSL service because we are out of range from the CO. For this i partially blame my town for poor planning and not worrying about it, but how difficult could it be to update Chester with the rest of the world? Ok i am done ranting and raving and i hope that no one else in the world ever has to put up with something like this. When i have an important paper to write and not much time to do it I love attempting to log onto the internet to realize that its either not working or going slower than I had ever though possible. Good Luck and NEVER get rcn.

-matt