RCN CABLE page on DSLReports

Review by kapitol See Profile

• Location: Gaithersburg,Montgomery,MD
Good "Excellent Pre-install, all the way to install. Blazing speeds and ping times!!"
Bad "Dynamic IP"
Overall "Excellent Value for Money, blows away an other broadband ISP I've seen."

RCN Cable Internet is the real deal. I have dealt with several ISP's mostly DSL, and have never experienced this level of speed. I recently moved back into the Maryland area, and noticed that RCN and Comcast@home was available. I did not want DSL anymore, and wanted to try cable. I heard some good things about both, and did some more research and decided I'd try RCN.

Pre-Sales: Was outstanding, they took my call gave me an install date and time, and the guy was early. Had no problem wiring my house, and the modem was up and synced right away.

Speeds are unreal: This was during peak hours at 6 PM

1492(down)/458(up)
(at least 23 times faster than a 56k modem)
I also liked that the upload isn't capped like it is with Comcast. I get better upload than I did when I have 512/512 DSL!

If anyone is considering RCN for Cable Modem access, I recommend it highly!

Update:

Well, those of you who frequent the rcn forum know how bad rcn is in the Maryland area. As a matter of fact, it seems to be the same way all the way down the east coast. It has going from a real solid Cable connection, to a laggy mess every night from 7 PM on. When you call in to complain or ask what's up they tell you its a known problem and we are working on it. I've submitted countless traces etc to show them exactly what router it is. I think they really don't care. I have a trouble ticket open from September. How is that resolving the problem? I think they are training their tech support people to say that, and just ignoring their crappy network and rounting.

member for 13.5 years, 389 visits, last login: 8.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by Luca Brasi See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "36 bux for 1.5/256kbps, im happy with it...better than being with AT&T or Ameritech,"
Bad "Took 3 weeks for them to come and install . Speed not blazing, i wish i had 3mbps+ DL and at least 500kbps UL!"
Overall "$36 for 1.5/256, the only ISP here offering that.."

UPDATE:

I want to add that I no longer have this ISP. Everything below is OLD. Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just incase your wondering, i have my own modem thats why i pay 36 bux. I called to order RCN, they said they would be at my house in 3 weeks. After agonizing days with 56k, they showed up, installed it quickly and i was online in a matter of minutes! The speed used to be 800/240kbps, but they raised the cap here in Chicago (and surrounding areas) to 1.5mbps/256kbps. And (so far) the price hasn't been raised to go along with the new caps. The pinges and uptime were HORRIBLE for a good while after they had the new speeds, but they fixed it after a couple of days i guess, because now i get good pinges and havent had an outage since. And the stall problem with downloads is gone after they had the new speeds. Around where i live its either i pay $40 bux for AT&T or $36 for RCN (same speed) or $50 Ameritech DSL (i think for 1.5/128). Extra 4 bux in my pocket compared to AT&T, and 14 bux compared to Ameritech.

I don't know about newservers and whatnot, since i could care less about it.

The tech support is OK.

- Luca Brasi

member for 12.1 years, 4049 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by PaTyoJoN See Profile

• Location: Chester,Morris,NJ
Good "None"
Bad "Downloads sometimes decent but usually very slow, Upload speeds are run by 56k and max out at a connection of 33000kbps"
Overall "RCN is a joke, they dont care about there customers at all, NEVER GET IT"

RCN is the biggest joke of a company that I have ever heard of. I have had RCN for Internet for the past three years and at least once a week i have called and complained about my internet service. Have they fixed it? No. Have they even attempted to fix it? No. So what do they do? They basically blame the other phone company and try to put the blame on possibly your computer or anything else. Even if it is so obviously an issure on there side they still try to bs you into blaming your own hardware. The upload is less than 56k, but at TIMES the download can be pretty good. I get home from school at around 3 and can go on the computer from then to anywhere around 8 before it barely loads a webpage. I get ping times up in the high 200s and they are constantly spiking. I have complained about this but once again they do not even attemtp to fix it. So why do i keep this service? I am kicking myself in the butt every day for paying this joke of a company any money at all but the next best thing is 56K. I figure, I have the money and at least being able to download songs and SOMETIMES having a decent connection is better than 56k. The sad part is half the times the 56k would be faster and much easier than this ONE WAY cable modem. RCN basically has a monopoly over my street and part of my town because we can not get any other cable service or DSL service because we are out of range from the CO. For this i partially blame my town for poor planning and not worrying about it, but how difficult could it be to update Chester with the rest of the world? Ok i am done ranting and raving and i hope that no one else in the world ever has to put up with something like this. When i have an important paper to write and not much time to do it I love attempting to log onto the internet to realize that its either not working or going slower than I had ever though possible. Good Luck and NEVER get rcn.

-matt

Comments:

Review by jhiggins1123 See Profile

• Location: Plymouth,Luzerne,PA
  • Telco party AllTel

For those of you in the Lehigh Valley talking about the UBR's being overloaded: YOUR FULL OF IT. all of your reviews say that there are only 5 UBRS for the Valley. There are in fact 15. I know because I work for them.

And for all of those who think Tech Support reps are useless. What about you customers that cant find something as simple as the MAC address when we tell you where it is?

Comments:

Review by zanchicago See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Decent speed"
Bad "Hideous hold times, inept customer and technical support"
Overall "I'm searching for alternatives"

I've been with RCN for about a year and a half, and in that time I've had payments returned to me ("no such customer") even when attached to my pre-printed bill stub, had my email account deactivated twice ("email not associated with any account"), had about five service interruptions, been on hold trying to report these problems for a grand total of about four hours, and been hung up on (after 30 minutes on hold).

There's a reason why I finally asked them to reset my password to "[your service is really awful and you are so gone once I have an alternative]". (Paraphrased, natch.)

Comments:

Review by bediff See Profile

• Location: Redwood City,San Mateo,CA
Good "Consolidated phone-tv-Net billing"
Bad "Incompetent phone support - web site sucks."
Overall "Putting up with it now, but those"

RCN cancelled my first installation visit without notifying me, causing me to loose a work day - totally unprofessional behaviour. Not only that, I had already cancelled my DSL, so I was without NET access for like a whole month! - These people are not into customer service.

The phone support sucks. To get anything done, I have to call multiple times so I can get a tech who knows what he's doing. I complained to the install tech when he was here and he confirmed my experience. Keep calling he said. Dang, hope you don't need much help 'cuz they sux at it. After 80 days, I still have problem with my long distance calls. Their web site sux and provides just the basic of information and not much else. Electronics/web request/change? I think they are still using typewriters at HQ.

The only reason I am with RCN is the consolidated phone-tv-NET billing, but the competitors' $29.99 broadband access are looking mighty attractive now.

Net access performance is "acceptable."

Comments:

Review by twisty7867 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "timely install. decent uplink speed."
Bad "port 80 blocking, technician hosed my TCP settings"
Overall "probably great for non-power users"

In the midst of planning a move to a new apartment, I was disappointed to find that Time Warner didn't offer RoadRunner service there (this is downtown Manhattan, for christ's sake!). However, the building management mentioned that RCN was also available in the building, and given the long lead times on DSL installs, and the fact that I do a lot of work through telecommuting and don't own a modem, I needed to get up and running fast. So, with some trepidation I signed up fror the Resilink Mercury package - digital cable, HBO, and cable modem. The total price was $99.98 - $94.99 for the Resilink package plus $4.99 for an extra IP.

The technician arrived on time, although my wife reports that the install took forever - ~90 minutes.

My initial reaction was one of total disappointment - my VPN connection to my office did not work, I could not connect to my PC via telnet or FTP, the download speed is capped at EXACTLY one megabit (literally 1,048,... bps in several tests), and the digital cable SUCKS. The guide is annoying and slow, not nearly as informative as the one on Time Warner, and to top it all off, it's plastered with ads!! WTF is that? There are enough ads on TV without one popping up every time you open a window on the cable box. The equipment was a dirty, used RCA modem.

The upload speed is decent, however, consistently running 700-800kpbs.

A few days later, I finally found the source of my TCP problems - in the course of the install the technician had changed my IP security settings. They were quickly fixed and I was back on the VPN and back in business with FTP and telnet. Port 80 is still blocked, of course, but the service will be usable until my Speakeasy 1.5/768 DSL is installed.

Comments:

Review by St0ney See Profile

• Location: uranus
Good "Uploads are fast at around 750; cheap for non cable TV subscribers"
Bad "Sometimes, though very rarely, i get conection slowdowns."
Overall "Low price, Fast Uploads."

My first order was for RCN Bronze Resilink 1/25/02. Package is for cable modem and telephone service for $76/month. Sales rep said it would take 2 1/2 weeks, mainly because it takes Verizon ten business days to release my telephone line. He asks me to pick a time between 1 and 5 for February 13. So I say 4 pm and he says OK. February 13 comes by and the installation guy comes at 2:30 but I was not home because it was supposed to be at 4. Turns out that I am supposed to wait from 1 to 5; but thats not what the sales rep told me. It was totally their fault that the appointment was missed. Well, I was not gonna wait another 2 1/2 weeks, as they told me when I called back. I cancelled my order, but I still needed broadband. So reluctantly I called RCN again on 2/14/02 to order cable modem only. I finally lucked out; it would only cost me 39.95 a month, 6 month contract, no installation fee, free modem.

This was all good because I was non-cable tv subscriber. That's $20 less than if I got Road Runner. Install date set one week later on 2/21/02. This time I was told to wait from 12 to 4. Installation guys came at 3. Installed new line to my house and new cable inside to my computer. Took 1 hour 50 minutes. Set up my modem and was online. My modem is a RCA digital cable modem.

Did a speed test here and got 600 down/700 up. Did some tweaking and tested again; got 1300/750. This was around 6 pm. I am getting consistent speeds all the time although my pings while playing games fluctuate from 20ms to 50ms on fastest servers I play at and when I host a game other people's pings fluctuate too.

NOw I am cancelling because my Six month contract is almost up aND will increase to 50 a month. Overall it was good.

member for 13.5 years, 2619 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by pswiss See Profile

• Location: Northampton,Northampton,PA
Good "When it works, a good service."
Bad "When there's a problem, very time consuming to solve."
Overall "Even without other high-speed options, it might not be worth the hassel."

Have been with RCN for years now, having 2-way cable the last two years or so. Was told I would be notified when 2-way was available but never got a phone call, email, or US Mailing. Had to keep calling myself until I got the right person. As stated in good points, when the service is working it's a good service. Speeds are good, email is good, news servers are good. Monthly cost listed is for their RCN Gold Resilink package...yes, it's $120/month, but there are a ton of fees so it gets up to $140/month. That includes phone, cable, internet. Internet is 1.5M down...have seen up to 1.3 depending on servers. Dynamic IP.

When there is a problem, however, good luck. I've had two major problems in the last two years, each of which took weeks to solve. One of them (August 2001) I documented every step of the way (names of support people, commitments to solve problems, dates/times, etc.). If I had not spent all that time documenting everything...and then sending the 7 page report (yes, seven!...that's how many people, calls and visits it took) to the national and local offices, I'm not sure it would have been solved. To this day, almost a year later, I still never received an explanation of what the problem was.

Communication within the tech support departments is horrible. Level 1 techs are generally useless unless you have an ultra-simple problem to fix (reboot your PC, unplug the cable modem). Part of that is the people, but a bigger part is probably RCN's company policy and support "script". I've had a few techs who don't get confused at the first mention of the phrase "packet loss"...but they are the exception.

Update August 2002: Similar problems to 8/2001 are happening again. With choices in broadband (DSL), I am considering switching. We are also having problems with our digital cable. While switching to DSL won't fix the cable issues, it might fix the broadband problems. A recent tech visit noted that in my area (Lehigh Valley), one of the 5 routing points the company uses is severly overloaded. He said there are plans to install another UBR (Universal Broadband Router) and split half the people off the UBR I am on, but the timeframe is "future". This UBR covers customers from the north side of West End Allentown all the way over to Bath and even some Easton customers.

Comments:

Review by Reptilezs0 See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Middlesex,MA
Good "fast modem replacement"
Bad "slow, slow, did i mention SLOW"
Overall "to slow"

man this cable is the worst escuse for broadman there network is on full capacity x2 d/l is 500 kbps and upload is a mere 100kbps. the line disconnects all the time. when i try to play counter strike i get pings of 900+ no joke. cant even move.