RCN CABLE page on DSLReports

Review by Goliath See Profile

• Location: Easton,Northampton,PA
Good "great bundle package."
Bad "need more HD!"
Overall "RCN is improving. DOCSIS 3.0 & more HD will keep me as a customer."

RCN is on the up & up.. the price-point is a bit high but the introduction of higher internet speeds and more HD channels will keep me satisfied as a customer. if you ever have any issues, try posting on the forum and the guys will try and help you out as best they can

Comments:

Review by roscoe5 See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Cable TV Price and quality"
Bad "VOIP and Internet"
Overall "RCN is not what it used to be"

I have been with RCN since it first came to Chicago. It has always offered
very good prices and quality cable TV. I have also been using their VOIP
and internet for about 4 years. In that time my modem has been replaced
4 times and my phone has been down several times. The latest was just last
week and both my phone and internet did not work for seven days. I was told
a node was out by one Tech. A week later a Tech came to visit my house
after the node was fixed and discovered that my modem was no longer on
my account. Talk about a pain. RCN has also started replacing broken equipment with used equipment. One Tech told me that they are only giving new
equipment to new customers. I makes you wonder if they
value old customers who have paid for their services for years.
He did give me a local number to call if I have any future problems. I will try the local support when I have my next problem and if this does not work any better I will find another company altogether. At this point I would find it hard to recommend RCN unless you are just interested in cable TV.

member for 12.7 years, 562 visits, last login: 2.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by jhfenteman See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Upgraded to MegaModem Mach60 (advertised: 60000 down/6000 up); rent modem; 3 digital TV converters; dynamic IP; use nonRCN email"
Bad "Technical Support generally does not know what is happening at the central"
Overall "Plan includes TV (w/ "Digital Vision" (extra History Channels, etc.) & Music (but now not HBO)); cost $195 per month)"

Upgraded to MegaModem Mach60 (advertised: 60000 down/6000 up); rent modem; got 3 digital TV converters; dynamic IP; use nonRCN for email

Technical Support generally does not know what is happening at the central "station" and may not be helpful for system problems

Comments:

Review by confusedcabl See Profile

• Location: Waltham,Middlesex,MA
Good "SPEEEEEED."
Bad "...DUMB USERS."
Overall "SPEED>DUMB USERS."

hd dvr+signature + 60/6 =]

1) MUST...MUST optimize OS TCP settings regardless what OS you use, even you wannabe linux noobs.
2) MUST use gigabit all the way. dont throw in some peice of crap wireless router with a 10/100 connection and say "oh but 60 is less than 100 so its ok." its not ok. grow up.
3) Dont do stupid things like dl's of "fishy" content and say later on " oh my connection is slow", guess what, those servers and peers you dl from keep trying to connect to you regardless if your p2p/dl manager is running or not. [get a real firewall {hardware} and you would know this] it will bottleneck your modem docsis 1,2,3 whatever. GOT IT EINSTEIN?

those of you with rcn, do a speed test and look up rcn speed test results on this site. the one on top with 59 down... that's me son.

Comments:

Review by Amadauss See Profile

• Location: Coopersburg,Lehigh,PA
Good "Speed is fantastic, Service tech's that come to house are very good"
Bad "Phone Tech service could be better when reaching another country, in states is very good"
Overall "No one is perfect and although it did get frustrating from time to time, still one of the best"

Service Electric and Directv were considered. Have 20 mb's and even on a router get close to those speeds. Order and Install were fine. You have to consider, any equipment for anything today will go bad or break down over time. Its the getting there to fix it that impresses me with RCN. Very quick to respond.

Was house sitting for a relative who has Service Electric. They switched to a new service with them and cable went out Saturday. Guy was great on the line when I called but could not get anyone out there until the following Thursday. Was not happy about that having no tv. Sad part was they were getting internet but could not get the TV working. Tech was great and ran a bunch of tests but never thought to have me go check the cable coming in. Seems because of the many connections, the one controlling the connection for the TV's had tripped the breaker on it. All it needed was to be turned back on. Not my house so never thought that the case but should have been considered or suggested.

Comments:

Review by alancats See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Reliable Connection"
Bad "Download Speeds Far Below Those Advertised; Lousy Customer Service"
Overall "As Soon As FIOS ARRIVES, I'm OUTTA HERE"

·ViaTalk
Like most Manhattan residents, I don't have a lot of options when it comes to my ISP. I've lived with RCN for eight years, strictly out of circumstance. I pay $60 a month for a supposed 10 MB/s download speed; that's what RCN states is the rate contracted for. In reality, the speeds are less than half of that, an average of 4.5 MB/s, occasionally rising to 5 MB/s. When I called RCN customer service to complain about this, I got routed halfway around the world to a Philippine call center with barely intelligible customer service reps. It didn't seem that long ago that RCN had a call center in Pennsylvania. No more, I guess. Anyway, the rep stated that as long as download speeds are "60% of the advertised rate," this is considered "acceptable." Problem is, I don't even get 6 MB/s download speeds.

In my mind, this is a completely dishonest business practice. I understand the download speeds are going to be somewhat less than advertised, but 50% less? RCN is clearly holding back the modem speeds so as to stretch the network without upgrading it. If you visit its website, you'll notice RCN offers a lot of promotions for new customers, with discounted contracts. Current customers, they don't care so much about. If I had any confidence that Time-Warner would be better, I would switch, but I figure they're just as lousy.

My building is currently being wired for FIOS; as soon as this is complete, I will be switching at light speed.

Comments:

Review by midtownwest See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Reliable, fast, consistant, no dropouts or loss of signal"
Bad "UI is clunky, customer support only available during business hours."
Overall "A good value, with more reliable delivery than larger providers."

I've been a NYC subscriber to TWC and RCN over the years. TWC offers some feature perks, PiP, better VOD. But I experienced constant dropouts and signal problems. After switching to RCN all these problems went away. I gave up a few channels, but also gained a few, like Encore and NFL as part of my package. Recently, I switched to the RCN Tivo, which has really added a lot of functionality.

The internet is consistently fast, at the speed I'm paying for. I've only had 1 major outage in 6 months. Phone service is excellent and inexpensive.

Overall, this is a good value because it is cheaper than the competition and has better service. It's not perfect, but I'm glad I switched.

Comments:

Review by waustinii See Profile

• Location: Bristow,Prince William,VA
Good "Great Speed; Low Cost"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "Much better than my Verizon DSL but that was to be expected."

I just switched to RCN yesterday in Bristow, VA (near Manassas/Gainesville) and signed up for there 10MB/s package. Since the basic service is included in the HOA fees, the upgrade to the faster service as only $10/month. I at least get 6MB/s and have gotten 10MB/s on the speed tests. I anticipate much better streaming now since I used to only get up to 2.4Mb/s. Hopefully, RCN will be able to accommodate all of the users in our area and still maintain the speed and quality of service. I still have my verizon DSL for now and will wait a week or so to see how stable RCN is before I totally let go of it. I will definitely update my review later if it changes for the worse.

Comments:

Review by chgo_man99 See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "inexpensive, nice HD quality"
Bad "VOD not so great, internet plans behind years with comcast, still the oldest standard DOCSIS 1.0 in use"
Overall "if I had a choice I would go with -uverse or comcast but they are not offered in my building"

I usually don't watch tv, but since the cable rent is included with my rent, I use it to watch some shows/movies especially the ones I would not find in Netflix or Hulu.

As far as internet speed connections and reliability, the first few months I had problems with dropping connections speed and loss of transmitted packets. After New Year, the connection speed and reliability has dramatically improve, but I am not sure if this happened just for my region or entire Chicago.

I would be happy if RCN offered wideband Docsis 3.0 but its not yet in Chicago and I doubt it will come soon. The node I am connected to is still based on old Docsis 1.0 that was introduced in 1997. No 1.1 or 2.0. Comcast just put entirely Docsis 1.0 to End Of Life last year.

It would be nice if RCN like other cable providers partnered with Clearwire to offer mobile broadband (WiMax(4G)/3G) but it seems like in order to get it you will have to get it seperate from Clearwire for a long time.

The customer service representatives are clueless when calling for technical support. Its always the same, power modem cycling, rebooting computer.
But that same problem exist with many other providers.

Update:
wideband 3.0 is actually supported but its not yet official advertised. You can order only one d3 plan 60/5 (or 60/10) than runs about $120 monthly.

Comments:

Review by nycarnold See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Internet speed as advertised"
Bad "overly compressed cable channels"
Overall "makes competition look good"

good Internet, ok phone but goes out during power outages, standard def tvchannels are horrible. tech support overseas.