RCN CABLE page on DSLReports

Review by steve1111 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "cable internet ok"
Bad "They replaced my copper wire phone with Home Digital Phone"
Overall "I'm not a happy customer."

Cable internet at 25mbs and phone service. No TV.

Negatives:

It took two visits to install cable internet and two visits to install phone. For the first visit for each occasion, the technician arrived late and did not work.

Technical support seems to be in India. Most of the technical support provided has been good. But these are jobs for Americans which should not have been outsourced. Also sometimes I cannot understand people speaking English with Indian accents.

It is annoying that RCN tacked on a one dollar charge for paying online.

Positives:

No fixed-term contract with penalties.

The sales staff gave me a good promotional package and, at the end of the year, Customer Support gave me another good package. The staff have been polite, friendly and professional. The phone service has always worked well and I remember only three internet outages.

I switched over to RCN from Verizon more than a year ago and I am so pleased I did so. I considered Verizon FIOS but thought that it was too expensive for my needs.

Given the monthly cost and quality of the service and quality of the staff I have been more than satisfied with RCN.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
amended November 2011. RCN have come up with a new bundle, $50 plus charges, that is $65. With the one dollar charge for paying online it is $66. Not pleased about RCN's rate increase in a Recession. But Verizon and Time Warner charge even more..

amended December 2011. Now that there is an uproar that Verizon has tacked on a two dollar charge for paying online, perhaps there will also be an uproar that RCN has a one dollar charge for paying online.

amended February 2012. RCN have upgraded Internet service to 25mb download. For Free! Hooray!

amended May 2012. It has been a long long time since I've needed to call for technical support. Time Warner had a promotion in the neighborhood and offered to knock a few dollars from the price. I decided to stay with RCN because RCN promised no rate increase, because the Internet and Phone service has been so completely reliable and because I have found the staff at RCN to be so nice and professional.

amended July 2012. RCN now provides tech support from Pennsylvania instead of India. A wise decision. They have such pleasant and competent tech support people and I feel more confident. Bravo. I've just bumped up their score for tech support to 100 percent.

amended December 2012. Phone and Internet service went down for a few days because of Hurricane Sandy. All is now well. RCN is doing a good job.

NYC December 1 2013 RCN has continued to provide good service.

NYC July 9 2014. Without notification or my consent RCN has discontinued my copper wire POTS phone and replaced it with Home Digital Phone. The phone was working well on Friday afternoon. On Saturday night I discovered that my RCN Phone service had stopped working. The error message said "There may be a receiver off the hook". Hook my foot! After some initial troubleshooting I called RCN support who told me they would send round a technician who was going to install a Home Digital Phone. I told the representative that I did not want a Home Digital Phone and that I wanted my copper-wire service to be restored. She told me that this was not possible. So I allowed the technician to visit. He took out the old modem and plugged in a new modem. WAN comes in, Ethernet and Phone come out. Phone piggybacks on Internet. Internet outage means phone outage. My confidence and trust in RCN have gone way down and I am considering my options. I do not consider my current bundle to be value for money and I am downgrading my rating for RCN.

member for 4.8 years, 586 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

btoan

@173.56.44.x

RCN sliding

I'm with you. I've been with RCN for about twelve years, but something has changed upstairs and cost cutting has affected service and price. First, the quote above for internet of $66 is way off in my experience. I started with bundled service - phone, tv, internet - for about $145 - $160, but when I reduced services to only internet my monthly charge became $104! That's for internet alone! I'm sure all cable companies are suffering in this way, since people are opting not to have a land line, and realize they can watch all their TV via the internet, but that price is still way too much.

My own personal gripe with RCN was that I am renting out my apartment for two years while I care for my mother, but RCN would not allow me to keep my email address in the meantime unless my tenant conitnued with the service, which they were not interested in. Customer service told me in the spring that they had a plan where I could keep my email address for $3.95/mo, but when I called to disconnect service and sign up for the continued email, I was told that was no longer available, and was in fact not even available when the agent told me it was. Customer service, and their training has slid recently. One thing I loved about RCN was that their service agents all spoke English as a first language. That is no longer true, and half of what the agent said to me I could not understand. My assumption (and this sounds horribly prejudiced on my part) is that they are paying less for agents, or are doing a poorer job of training and screening them.

RCN used to bend over backwards to make things right - if they could have made an allowance for me to keep my address - as they are currently to all those customers who have that option grandfathered in - then they would have kept me as a customer because I would have naturally resumed service for another twelve years or longer when I moved back in. Now, not having that email address any more, I am free to shop around which I will, especially since they screwed me with the mis-information and overcharged me for the last six months.

btoan

@100.2.214.x

Re: RCN sliding

Update 7/20/14
Well, shut my mouth! RCN contacted me and corrected my complaint. It turns out I CAN keep my email address as first explained. A very nice agent took my call and while he said he had never performed this particular service, it took him about five minutes to perform. So now my only issue is with the agent and the supervisor who earlier this week gave me incorrect information and their apparent lack of training. Time for a memo at customer service!

Review by ike3 See Profile

• Location: Whitehall,Lehigh,PA
Good "Good speed for price"
Bad "No discount for customer-owned modems..."
Overall "Way better than what I came from..."

·RCN (DSL)
October 2012 update:
Came back to RCN for broadband in October 2012 after suffering for two years with Service Electric (still have CableTV with SECTV because they still support analog tuners but internet upload speeds there were so horrible that I had to swap my Vonage service for Verizon Wireless @ Home service]).

Glad I came back to RCN for internet. For less money, I more than doubled my download speeds and tripled my upload speeds (though we still use the Verizon phone service...).

Have yet to have any issues.

Sep 2010 update:
Switched all services to Service Electric Cable TV & Communications (SECTV) after they finished their high-speed build-out...

Aug 2008 update:
Getting quite angry about price and value... HD channels are starting to come in a bit faster now (naturally, noting I really want to watch--where's SciFi channel?!?).

Power/CI plan is now a whopping $182 after tax with two HD-DVRs. Breakdown of charges:

Internet:
- Mach-7: $37 ($40 less $3 for customer owned modem)

Cable:
- Limited Cable: $15
- Expanded Cable: $35.04 (up $3.04)
- New Digital Vision: $29.95 (up from $16.05)
- PowerDigital: $10
- HD-DVRs: $17.95 each (up from $12.95 each)
- HD-Tier: $7.95
- Taxes: $10.62 (up from $8.43)

Time to make another call... last time I called about the HD-Tier they basically said the HD-DVR savings was a wash... now, it is an extra $8 for nothing...

Might need to price modem-only and check out DirecTv...

Jan 2008 update:
Getting a bit concerned with price and value... HD channels are coming slowly (TNT and Nat Geo added recently), but lag behind local competition (and very far behind Dish and DirecTV).

Power/CI plan is $153 after tax with two HD-DVRs. Breakdown of charges:

Internet:
- Mach-7: $37 ($40 less $3 for customer owned modem)

Cable:
- Limited Cable: $15
- Expanded Cable: $32
- New Digital Vision: $16.05
- PowerDigital: $10
- HD-DVRs: $12.95 each
- HD-Tier: $7.95
- Taxes: $8.43

Recent posting in RCN forum indicate "HD Tier" should now be free, but an email to RCN indicates current plan can't have that.

Jan 2005 Update:
Cable Modem: Sevice has been awesome. Seven megabit right now, reliably (own my own Motorola SB5100--couldn't get above 5 with the Toshiba they loaned out).

TV: Took forever to get an HD-DVR from them (actually, wasn't until they came out of BK did it become available to me--must have been a pending credit issue with Motoroloa...). They are still behind the other local cable co. in regards to HD channel selections (still don't have UPN, TNT or Bravo after a year of "yea, we'll have them soon").

Phone: Since they provide a nice detailed "here's how much each part of your package is costing you" bill, I saw that for unlimited regional calling and 8-features, I was paying nealry $40/mo. Well, didn't take a rocket scientist to know that with 7-megabit (10 in a few weeks!), Vonage for $25/mo is a deal... Once RCN accepts my Local Number Portability (LNP) request to transfer my phone number to Vonage, I won't have the ResiLink package (dropping to Power CI)... That being said, it has been 6-weeks and a dozen calls now for something that should take no more than three weeks and zero calls (next call is to the state PUC to register a complaint....). This is may major complaint of late (that and their prices are going above the competition's, tempting me to leave completely)...

BTW--it took a notice to the PUC to get RCN's butt in gear. Been using Vonage ever since...

Origial review:

Bidirectional Cable (max 1.5m/700k [1.1m/500k actual])
$110/mo (no contract, no setup fees, part of TV, Phone, Internet package--est. $40/mo based on other service's fees)
Toshiba 2500 bi-directional cable modem w/USB and 10-Base-T
Dynamic IP address

Order taken by a "sales guy" for the complete package (details below). Internet, phone and cable were installed the same day by one technician. Took the guy about 5-hours to get everything setup, including running new R6 coax cable throughout the house and mount a "master" box outside.

They ran out of time to complete the update of my Outlook accounts to use RCN's SMTP server for outbound email for my non-RCN accounts (my wife had to leave and they got booted). Only took a moment to do that my self.

Package Details: Resilink Gold ($110/mo)
- Bidirectional cable internet (one dynamice IP address, 4 POP email accounts, 10 MB personal webspace)
- Full Basic TV plus 1-digial converter with 15 HBO/Cinimax channels and 45 digital music channels
- Phone (one line, unlimited local and regional calling [610, 484, 215, 267, 302], "Ultra Feature Package" [voicemail, deluxe caller id, deluxe call-waiting caller id, call waiting, call forwarding, 3-way calling, unlimited *69 & *66], 9¢/min anytime long distance)

So far, so good. Took a bit to get my Linksys router working with the Toshiba cable modem, but after some tweaking (aka--turning off the modem for an hour), all was fine.

Comments:

Review by ctk76 See Profile

• Location: Woodside,Queens,NY
Good "could be a good value when you get close to advertised speeds"
Bad "you rarely get the advertised speeds if at all"
Overall "can't recommend them in my area"

Rather than a lengthy review, I'll let the speedtest.net results speak for itself.
The advertised speeds are 25/2.
These are my speedtest.net results this month (October, 2013):

2.49, 1.94, 15
2.14, 2.08, 18
2.12, 2.16, 27
4.39, 1.92, 24

I had this service for over a year and while this is the worst I've seen,
it's not that much worse than my typical results from the past either.
When it gets bad, I'm having trouble just browsing websites (RCN making me reminisce the dial-up days).
Their pricing structure will make me pay $55 next year. I doubt I'll stay with them paying $55 for 2Mb service.

Comments:

Review by Asterix See Profile

• Location: Nazareth,Northampton,PA
Good "Decent speeds"
Bad "High latency and packet loss at times"
Overall "Better than local cable company or Verizon"

Was stuck with Service Electric with their 15/1 Mbps package. Service sucked with down times and slow speeds.

Reached out to RCN but they were not servicing my house. RCN was across the street but not in my community. Since I was on the HOA Board for my community and with a simple phone conversation was forwarded to the area deployment manager. He setup an expectation to lay the infrastructure in my community by 2012-end or early 2013. At the end of the year I reached out to him again as I did not see any progress, only to find that the plans are still under budgetary process. Since my yard had a pole and close to the RCN pole from across the street, he made an exception and ordered his team to lay the cables from across the street to the pole in and across the yard into my house. I was up and running with RCN 50/6Mbps in less than a week. Kudos to the local area deployment manager.

Speeds have been decent but I haven't seen the full 50Mbps yet. At least once I day I see my firewall struggling to keep up with the latency which is temporary and lasts anytime between 10-45 mins. Rest of the times it works just fine. I researched and found its just not me but other local RCN customers are facing similar high latency issues.

UPDATE - 4/30/2013 -

Its been 3 months since I have RCN services. Internet quality goes down drastically in the evenings after 6pm till around 11pm. High ping times between 180-420ms and intermittent packet loss as well. It affects quality of Internet TV like Netflix and Hulu.

UPDATE - 6/13/2013 -

Connection is still plagued with quality issues with high ping times and packet loss. Changed 2 routers to eliminate a hardware port issue. Modem was changed a few weeks ago but the service issues continue on. Have lowered my overall service score. 50Mbps connection barely gives me 10Mbps these days.

• Location: Somerville,Middlesex,MA
Good "good price for tv and phone"
Bad "Horrid customer service, the live reps dont know how to properly speak to customers, automated systems are not user friendly"

Maybe I am just spoiled by great customer service, but I switched to RCN for the cheaper rates and I regret it. Their online system, automated phone system, and even live representatives are not user friendly. The rep that signed me up spelled my name wrong, which gave me issues trying to start online billing and when I called about it the reps were very rude and not cust=

omer service oriented. I attempted to set up auto bill pay 2X and each time it failed and I ended up having to call to make my payments which cost a $4 convenience fee with the automated system or $6.95 if I spoke to a live rep. While the tv and phone services themselves worked just fine. I would rather pay a little bit more for conveniences such as: a user friendly online system, a user friendly automated phone system, and representatives that enjoy doing their jobs without an attitude.

(review was emailed from domain samuelsre.com)

Comments:

rcncares
Emilie
join:2012-01-04
Gainesville, VA

RCN Cares

Wow. That sounds awful !! Please accept my apology for the frustration and poor service you experienced; it is not the kind of service we strive to deliver. I work for RCN and along with the technical guys, monitor this forum to help our customers. If your issues have not been resolved and you are a member of the forum, you can send a private message to ‘rcncares’, that’s me, and I will take a look at your account. It sounds like the convenience fee you were charged was our fault and if it has not been credited off of your account, I would be happy to do so.

Emilie

taximomdlh

@swbell.net

Customer Service - Lehigh Valley

I had originally signed up online (in error) for the basic service. I had called RCN three times, and got the complete run around, the second time, a supervisor actually hung up on me. I called so I could get the Signature package, which according to the webpage is $89.99 per month. After fighting with the customer service as to what I want, and the price which is on their website, I got 'that is an internet price'; however no where on the webpage does it say it is only an internet price.
I had Service Electric, and switched because they were higher in price, had I known that I would get such crappy customer service and a higher bill than my Service Electric, I would have stayed with them. I am still considering going back to Service Electric because I am so mad and upset about it.
Whatever happened to the customer is always right, or wanting to please the customer. Obviously with RCN, they don't know what this means!!!

Review by dcdavid See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
Good "TiVo"
Bad "Customer service, existing customer pricing, customer loyalty, phone reps uninformed and give out inconsistent and wrong informa"
Overall "switched after 7 years -- they are not loyal to customers"

You will never get a straight answer from RCN. I was told three different times when calling RCN that when I move to my new house I will qualify for the new customer rates. When I called to actually set it up, I cannot even begin to tell you what a nightmare. One lady said she would handle everything and call me back. She never did, but when I got home all my current services were disconnected. When I called, they said not only did she disconnect me, but my work order for my transfer of new service was cancelled. I called again the next day to start over and was told I could get the new customer rates again. The rep began the process and mid-way through the call we were disconnected. When I called back, the new rep said that the work done previously was also cancelled and that all prior reps were wrong -- I cannot get a new customer rate when transferring/moving. I spoke to a supervisor who was entirely unphased by this horrible experience. She was unapologetic and didn't even offer to correct the reps who had misinformed me. After 7 and 1/2 years with RCN, I'm moving to FIOS. Don't waste your time trying to figure out if you can lower your rate. No one there knows what they are doing.

Comments:

Review by jhasbro See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Reliability"
Bad "Cost"

I have had RCN for 10 plus years for cable and internet. During that time I have had almost no trouble with the service. Any problems were addressed quickly.

The recent price increase has pushed me over the edge though. The monthly price of $181.33 is for 25Mb internet and cable. The cable does not include any HD, DVR or HBO. Showtime was included at N/C as a "preview" but not sure for how long. Also included was a $20 charge for the "premiere" package which included Sundance, a few of the Discovery channels and some others.

Their rates for a new customer for the Signature+25Mb package for the first year is $84.99. This includes 25Mb internet, 212 channels including 62 HD and Tivo HD DRV. Second year rate is $94.99 and third year rate is $104.99.

So I called to see what could be done about my rate and service to be told the only thing they could do is drop the $20 package of channels. I understand introductory rates to attract new customers and I didn't expect that rate and package but I also didn't expect that they would do nothing.

I just don't understand why the huge difference in price and service for new and existing customers. I would have been ecstatic with the third year rate for the Signature+25Mb package at $104.99. It is almost like they wanted me drop them as a provider.

So I did. I dropped the cable service and returned the equipment but for now have kept the internet service, but I guess I will drop that once I decide what to do next.

Bottom line, I was happy with connectivity and service but found the price to be very high for what they were providing.

Comments:

Review by Wasted_Elmo See Profile

• Location: Elmhurst,Queens,NY
Good "75%"

being an RCN costumer for a long while i left TWC in the late 90's cause of the internet package RCN had going way faster then TWC

at the time i got RCN they hooked me up at no charge for first time installation 3Mb down 1Mb up topping the 1.5/768Kbps TWC was giving out and this was not true on TWC cause their network was flooded with users so you hardly see those speeds even with their association and purchase of AOL TWC was still not getting better

RCN supported their connections speeds and till this day they still do

when i first had RCN full package ran about $280+ and if i am not mistaken this was '98 but they still price this for full status package meaning triple play with movie package

now i would pay about 189 triple basic package with a Downstream Limit:78000000 Upstream Limit: 11000000 with two basic motorola top boxes and a TiVo DVR with a cisco cable modem

these stats come from the modem data speed net would capture me at 71+ depending on day and time lowest 65Mbps witch aint bad

but now verizon fios is here in my building and my cousin made the switch
so i am sad to say its been a long run but for 153 for installation including first month
and 124 a month after for two yrs aint bad.. so sorry RCN you have been great its been fun callings Costumer Service and hearing :we see your one of our loyal costumers thank you: is warming but my pockets are getting lighter so for now thank you.. your loyal costumer Ron

Comments:

Review by tadpole See Profile

• Location: Framingham,Middlesex,MA
Bad "Completely Useless Customer Support"
Overall "Going to drop service if not fixed immediately"

I have an RCN branded TIVO which I picked up at the local office and installed myself. It has had N33 errors since over a month ago.

I followed the TIVO trouble shooting instructions and it came back Friday today is Sunday and it's out again. I'm not going to keep power cycling this piece of junk and trying to reach phone support with RCN is hopeless.

I can't switch channels, record, browse the guide or shut it off (unless I unplug the box). Occasionally some functions will work with a lag of up to four minutes. For me this is typical RCN.

I have had very little good experience with this device. It has been trouble since I got it. C and N errors constantly. The only support I got was a call back from a guy named Dave Woods and that was after I’d fixed the problem myself using the TIVO instructions on TIVO’s site.

This is Sunday and tomorrow is a holiday so I don’t expect him to call back before Tuesday.

Comments:

Dawk2012

@rcn.com

yep

Ive seen the same errors--they seem to be having some issues. Try rebooting your router/modem. If it continues call them.
Prior to this though the Tivo errors were few and far between. Service is generally rock solid. Ive had them for over 2 years.

Review by dslrep0990 See Profile

• Location: Brighton,Suffolk,MA
Good "Month-to-month service contract"
Bad "Lousy help desk, connectivity problems, RCN does not deliver what it sells"
Overall "RCN has cleaned their act"

UPDATE, JUNE 2012

RCN service had improved somewhat after I wrote this review so when I moved recently and discovered that they now charge a more reasonable $29/month for Internet access, I decided to give them another chance.

What a change!! This is a 180...

RCN is definitely providing a much improved service. I subscribe to the theoretical 20 Mbps. Connections are stable, speed is still not great but acceptable and much more steady. The service is up most of the time save for occasional outages but I have not had one that exceeded a few minutes yet. Even their customer service is better!

Just one thing that still sucks: monthly charges are supposed to increase for years 2 and 3. There is no good reason for that and it places a penalty on long-term customers. Why?? Go figure!!!

================================
Service ordered: high-speed (10 Mbps) Internet cable access only (no TV or telephony).

RCN charges too much for a service that does not deliver what they promise (I bought 10 Mbps service, but I never get more than 5 Mbps download and 368 Kbps upload).

Appalling customer "service", nobody mans the help desk & when you finally get someone (after many many minutes waiting on hold), they are inept and clueless...

Erratic connectivity. Occasional disconnections that can last hours, sometimes days. No information is ever provided to users before or after.

Bottom line: RCN service is a rip-off. Run in the other direction!

Comments:

CBL B0X

@rcn.com

Rating

Don't forget to adjust your ratings as well.
tvdrew

join:2008-08-20
Washington, DC

Pricing years 2 and 3.

Every company raises rates for current customers. They figure that once you're set up you're less likely to switch to another company than if you're choosing at the outset.

It is a hassle to switch. At a minimum you have to wait half-day for the service guy to show up for the install. Then there's returning equipment and for some people changing email addresses (although anyone who uses an ISP email address deserves the hassle).

That said, RCN's prices kept going up for me so I did switch.