RCN CABLE page on DSLReports

Review by ctk76 See Profile

• Location: Woodside,Queens,NY
Good "could be a good value when you get close to advertised speeds"
Bad "you rarely get the advertised speeds if at all"
Overall "can't recommend them in my area"

Rather than a lengthy review, I'll let the speedtest.net results speak for itself.
The advertised speeds are 25/2.
These are my speedtest.net results this month (October, 2013):

2.49, 1.94, 15
2.14, 2.08, 18
2.12, 2.16, 27
4.39, 1.92, 24

I had this service for over a year and while this is the worst I've seen,
it's not that much worse than my typical results from the past either.
When it gets bad, I'm having trouble just browsing websites (RCN making me reminisce the dial-up days).
Their pricing structure will make me pay $55 next year. I doubt I'll stay with them paying $55 for 2Mb service.

Comments:

Review by Asterix See Profile

• Location: Nazareth,Northampton,PA
Good "Decent speeds"
Bad "High latency and packet loss at times"
Overall "Better than local cable company or Verizon"

Was stuck with Service Electric with their 15/1 Mbps package. Service sucked with down times and slow speeds.

Reached out to RCN but they were not servicing my house. RCN was across the street but not in my community. Since I was on the HOA Board for my community and with a simple phone conversation was forwarded to the area deployment manager. He setup an expectation to lay the infrastructure in my community by 2012-end or early 2013. At the end of the year I reached out to him again as I did not see any progress, only to find that the plans are still under budgetary process. Since my yard had a pole and close to the RCN pole from across the street, he made an exception and ordered his team to lay the cables from across the street to the pole in and across the yard into my house. I was up and running with RCN 50/6Mbps in less than a week. Kudos to the local area deployment manager.

Speeds have been decent but I haven't seen the full 50Mbps yet. At least once I day I see my firewall struggling to keep up with the latency which is temporary and lasts anytime between 10-45 mins. Rest of the times it works just fine. I researched and found its just not me but other local RCN customers are facing similar high latency issues.

UPDATE - 4/30/2013 -

Its been 3 months since I have RCN services. Internet quality goes down drastically in the evenings after 6pm till around 11pm. High ping times between 180-420ms and intermittent packet loss as well. It affects quality of Internet TV like Netflix and Hulu.

UPDATE - 6/13/2013 -

Connection is still plagued with quality issues with high ping times and packet loss. Changed 2 routers to eliminate a hardware port issue. Modem was changed a few weeks ago but the service issues continue on. Have lowered my overall service score. 50Mbps connection barely gives me 10Mbps these days.

member for 11.5 years, 3725 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: Somerville,Middlesex,MA
Good "good price for tv and phone"
Bad "Horrid customer service, the live reps dont know how to properly speak to customers, automated systems are not user friendly"

Maybe I am just spoiled by great customer service, but I switched to RCN for the cheaper rates and I regret it. Their online system, automated phone system, and even live representatives are not user friendly. The rep that signed me up spelled my name wrong, which gave me issues trying to start online billing and when I called about it the reps were very rude and not cust=

omer service oriented. I attempted to set up auto bill pay 2X and each time it failed and I ended up having to call to make my payments which cost a $4 convenience fee with the automated system or $6.95 if I spoke to a live rep. While the tv and phone services themselves worked just fine. I would rather pay a little bit more for conveniences such as: a user friendly online system, a user friendly automated phone system, and representatives that enjoy doing their jobs without an attitude.

(review was emailed from domain samuelsre.com)

Comments:

rcncares
Emilie
join:2012-01-04
Gainesville, VA

RCN Cares

Wow. That sounds awful !! Please accept my apology for the frustration and poor service you experienced; it is not the kind of service we strive to deliver. I work for RCN and along with the technical guys, monitor this forum to help our customers. If your issues have not been resolved and you are a member of the forum, you can send a private message to ‘rcncares’, that’s me, and I will take a look at your account. It sounds like the convenience fee you were charged was our fault and if it has not been credited off of your account, I would be happy to do so.

Emilie

taximomdlh

@swbell.net

Customer Service - Lehigh Valley

I had originally signed up online (in error) for the basic service. I had called RCN three times, and got the complete run around, the second time, a supervisor actually hung up on me. I called so I could get the Signature package, which according to the webpage is $89.99 per month. After fighting with the customer service as to what I want, and the price which is on their website, I got 'that is an internet price'; however no where on the webpage does it say it is only an internet price.
I had Service Electric, and switched because they were higher in price, had I known that I would get such crappy customer service and a higher bill than my Service Electric, I would have stayed with them. I am still considering going back to Service Electric because I am so mad and upset about it.
Whatever happened to the customer is always right, or wanting to please the customer. Obviously with RCN, they don't know what this means!!!

Review by dcdavid See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
Good "TiVo"
Bad "Customer service, existing customer pricing, customer loyalty, phone reps uninformed and give out inconsistent and wrong informa"
Overall "switched after 7 years -- they are not loyal to customers"

You will never get a straight answer from RCN. I was told three different times when calling RCN that when I move to my new house I will qualify for the new customer rates. When I called to actually set it up, I cannot even begin to tell you what a nightmare. One lady said she would handle everything and call me back. She never did, but when I got home all my current services were disconnected. When I called, they said not only did she disconnect me, but my work order for my transfer of new service was cancelled. I called again the next day to start over and was told I could get the new customer rates again. The rep began the process and mid-way through the call we were disconnected. When I called back, the new rep said that the work done previously was also cancelled and that all prior reps were wrong -- I cannot get a new customer rate when transferring/moving. I spoke to a supervisor who was entirely unphased by this horrible experience. She was unapologetic and didn't even offer to correct the reps who had misinformed me. After 7 and 1/2 years with RCN, I'm moving to FIOS. Don't waste your time trying to figure out if you can lower your rate. No one there knows what they are doing.

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by jhasbro See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Reliability"
Bad "Cost"

I have had RCN for 10 plus years for cable and internet. During that time I have had almost no trouble with the service. Any problems were addressed quickly.

The recent price increase has pushed me over the edge though. The monthly price of $181.33 is for 25Mb internet and cable. The cable does not include any HD, DVR or HBO. Showtime was included at N/C as a "preview" but not sure for how long. Also included was a $20 charge for the "premiere" package which included Sundance, a few of the Discovery channels and some others.

Their rates for a new customer for the Signature+25Mb package for the first year is $84.99. This includes 25Mb internet, 212 channels including 62 HD and Tivo HD DRV. Second year rate is $94.99 and third year rate is $104.99.

So I called to see what could be done about my rate and service to be told the only thing they could do is drop the $20 package of channels. I understand introductory rates to attract new customers and I didn't expect that rate and package but I also didn't expect that they would do nothing.

I just don't understand why the huge difference in price and service for new and existing customers. I would have been ecstatic with the third year rate for the Signature+25Mb package at $104.99. It is almost like they wanted me drop them as a provider.

So I did. I dropped the cable service and returned the equipment but for now have kept the internet service, but I guess I will drop that once I decide what to do next.

Bottom line, I was happy with connectivity and service but found the price to be very high for what they were providing.

Comments:

Review by Wasted_Elmo See Profile

• Location: Elmhurst,Queens,NY
Good "75%"

being an RCN costumer for a long while i left TWC in the late 90's cause of the internet package RCN had going way faster then TWC

at the time i got RCN they hooked me up at no charge for first time installation 3Mb down 1Mb up topping the 1.5/768Kbps TWC was giving out and this was not true on TWC cause their network was flooded with users so you hardly see those speeds even with their association and purchase of AOL TWC was still not getting better

RCN supported their connections speeds and till this day they still do

when i first had RCN full package ran about $280+ and if i am not mistaken this was '98 but they still price this for full status package meaning triple play with movie package

now i would pay about 189 triple basic package with a Downstream Limit:78000000 Upstream Limit: 11000000 with two basic motorola top boxes and a TiVo DVR with a cisco cable modem

these stats come from the modem data speed net would capture me at 71+ depending on day and time lowest 65Mbps witch aint bad

but now verizon fios is here in my building and my cousin made the switch
so i am sad to say its been a long run but for 153 for installation including first month
and 124 a month after for two yrs aint bad.. so sorry RCN you have been great its been fun callings Costumer Service and hearing :we see your one of our loyal costumers thank you: is warming but my pockets are getting lighter so for now thank you.. your loyal costumer Ron

Comments:

Review by tadpole See Profile

• Location: Framingham,Middlesex,MA
Bad "Completely Useless Customer Support"
Overall "Going to drop service if not fixed immediately"

I have an RCN branded TIVO which I picked up at the local office and installed myself. It has had N33 errors since over a month ago.

I followed the TIVO trouble shooting instructions and it came back Friday today is Sunday and it's out again. I'm not going to keep power cycling this piece of junk and trying to reach phone support with RCN is hopeless.

I can't switch channels, record, browse the guide or shut it off (unless I unplug the box). Occasionally some functions will work with a lag of up to four minutes. For me this is typical RCN.

I have had very little good experience with this device. It has been trouble since I got it. C and N errors constantly. The only support I got was a call back from a guy named Dave Woods and that was after I’d fixed the problem myself using the TIVO instructions on TIVO’s site.

This is Sunday and tomorrow is a holiday so I don’t expect him to call back before Tuesday.

Comments:

Dawk2012

@rcn.com

yep

Ive seen the same errors--they seem to be having some issues. Try rebooting your router/modem. If it continues call them.
Prior to this though the Tivo errors were few and far between. Service is generally rock solid. Ive had them for over 2 years.

Review by dslrep0990 See Profile

• Location: Brighton,Suffolk,MA
Good "Month-to-month service contract"
Bad "Lousy help desk, connectivity problems, RCN does not deliver what it sells"
Overall "RCN has cleaned their act"

·magicjack.com
UPDATE, JUNE 2012

RCN service had improved somewhat after I wrote this review so when I moved recently and discovered that they now charge a more reasonable $29/month for Internet access, I decided to give them another chance.

What a change!! This is a 180...

RCN is definitely providing a much improved service. I subscribe to the theoretical 20 Mbps. Connections are stable, speed is still not great but acceptable and much more steady. The service is up most of the time save for occasional outages but I have not had one that exceeded a few minutes yet. Even their customer service is better!

Just one thing that still sucks: monthly charges are supposed to increase for years 2 and 3. There is no good reason for that and it places a penalty on long-term customers. Why?? Go figure!!!

================================
Service ordered: high-speed (10 Mbps) Internet cable access only (no TV or telephony).

RCN charges too much for a service that does not deliver what they promise (I bought 10 Mbps service, but I never get more than 5 Mbps download and 368 Kbps upload).

Appalling customer "service", nobody mans the help desk & when you finally get someone (after many many minutes waiting on hold), they are inept and clueless...

Erratic connectivity. Occasional disconnections that can last hours, sometimes days. No information is ever provided to users before or after.

Bottom line: RCN service is a rip-off. Run in the other direction!

Comments:

CBL B0X

@rcn.com

Rating

Don't forget to adjust your ratings as well.
tvdrew

join:2008-08-20
Washington, DC
·RCN CABLE

Pricing years 2 and 3.

Every company raises rates for current customers. They figure that once you're set up you're less likely to switch to another company than if you're choosing at the outset.

It is a hassle to switch. At a minimum you have to wait half-day for the service guy to show up for the install. Then there's returning equipment and for some people changing email addresses (although anyone who uses an ISP email address deserves the hassle).

That said, RCN's prices kept going up for me so I did switch.

Review by tvdrew See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
Good "Reliable internet (few outages in 12 years); good channel selection; increased HD options"
Bad "Tech/customer support a total mixed bag; site visits a pain; billing a crapshoot. Price increases of late"
Overall "Better than the alternatives"

I've had RCN since it was Starpower (approx. 12 years). During that time I've had extremely few service outages, typically weather related (one recent one from an RCN central switch failure that pretty much everyone suffered). Internet speeds are close to advertised, but not quite. Television service is pretty good, although they've moved channels to higher-priced tiers and now require a cable box. I realize the tradeoff is more HD channels, but I did like having a set anywhere without a cable box.

Installation was extremely quick, but not completed. Fortunately it didn't matter, since the house was still under construction. Subsequent cable card installation was also quick, although it didn't work fully until several calls to tech support.

Tech support is their weakest link. They seem (judging by accents) to have outsourced to folks overseas who really don't know what they're doing. They're nice, but don't solve the problem In fact, they rarely can even identify the problem. It took ten calls for them to tell me that the reason I was not receiving a certain channel was because it was not in my package, despite what the channel guide showed.

And that misleading information carried over to price. They offered a promotional price that was quite good. What they didn't say was that there were two promotions. One for a low price, a second for a 6-month discount that expired. Just recently I had another price increase at the end of some promotional period. Layered on top of other price increases and promotion ends I seem to be paying about $35 more than I started at 2 years ago (50% price increase) for the same (or lesser internet speed) service.

Update: Billing may be their weakest link, or at least where I've had the most trouble. A combination of expiring promotions, new promotions, and unrelated rate hikes has led to some eye-popping recent bills that seem to take multiple calls to straighten out. Service remains reliable, and the HD upgrade has been a great benefit with lots more HD channels.

Final update: After 12 years I switched to Verizon FiOS. I continued to be happy with RCN as described above, but the regular increases in prices had become too much. I asked if there were any promotions available to reduce the latest price increase and was given a flat no, nor even a "sweetener" as they have in the past, such as increased internet speeds. Having gone through these negotiations enough I didn't push it and made the switch. I would be happy with RCN's service if the pricing were somewhat lower, so for those eligible for promotions give them consideration.

Comments:

Review by Squ See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Package pricing"
Bad "You get what you pay for. Service quality is bad, customer service doesn't exist."
Overall "If you can go with someone else, do it."

I've had RCN for several years now, and when I first subscribed, both Internet and TV were great! As the company expanded however, both service quality and level of customer support has dropped dramatically. Constant disconnects, freezing TV, long waits on hold for tech support, cable bill going up each month, etc.

As of 8/13/2011, I've been without stable Internet service for two weeks, even though a tech has been out to the house (and said everything is perfect) and I've been on the phone with them 5-6 times as well as posted on these forums (»[Connectivity] [Chicago] Intermittent Disconnects).. I've stated that I'm planning on leaving for one of their competitors the following weekend if the problem is not fixed, and they sounded like they couldn't care less on the phone. According to my neighbors (DePaul / Lincoln Park area) who have RCN, they too are experiencing the same issue, so it's not just my business they don't care about, it's everyone's..

The only other cable Internet provider in the area is Comcast, I guess they just got their self a new customer.

On the other hand, If you love a good headache, RCN is for you!