RCN CABLE page on DSLReports

Review by timmay_lars See Profile

• Location: West Roxbury,Suffolk,MA
Good "Unlimited usage, static IP service."
Bad "pushed to bundle phone and/or cable, price goes up each year."
Overall "good value for price, may unbundle phone as I have already dropped cable TV."

I have the 25/2 Mb service bundled with phone services ($95) and static IP address service ($20) plus tax.

Comments:

Review by scott523 See Profile

• Location: Upper Darby,Delaware,PA
Good "Price, Quick and simple installation."
Bad "Inconsistent speeds, Old debts ON property MUST be paid."
Overall "Best speed for the price. "

Story:
Returned to RCN after their previous management failed to match Verizon's offering in 2010 and now (2013) Verizon can't match RCN's offering under new management.

Unlimited phone covers North America and Internet speed is 50/5 Mbps.

Installation:
Installation was quick since I had RCN before. A simple DOSIS 3.0 cable modem was installed and a phone box down in the basement. I opted to connect my own Apple AirPort Extreme base station to the modem. This is one less equipment to return if I have to jump ship.

Good:
1. Best speed for the price despite inconsistent speeds (see below).
2. Quick installation and no software was installed.
3. Although I could have signed up myself, this offer was brought to me by a kind representative going door to door.

Bad:
1. Inconsistent speeds can be a problem, especially during peak time. Speeds can go from 5/5 to 30/5 Mbps. It's a good thing I'm not a power user or I may consider using Verizon FiOS which is reliable.
2. Upon signing up for service, the representative ran a check of any debts on the property. There was an unpaid debt NOT under my name but someone who used to live here. If I didn't know this person or if my service deal wasn't good, I would've turned away but I paid the discounted debt dating back about 5 years.

Comments:

Review by jsullvn See Profile

• Location: Jim Thorpe,Carbon,PA
Good "Ease of order process, install time, service good."
Overall "Recommend"

nice

Comments:

Review by steve1111 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "A good package for cable internet and copper-wire phone"

Cable internet at 25mbs and phone service. No TV.

Negatives:

It took two visits to install cable internet and two visits to install phone. For the first visit for each occasion, the technician arrived late and did not work.

Technical support seems to be in India. Most of the technical support provided has been good. But these are jobs for Americans which should not have been outsourced. Also sometimes I cannot understand people speaking English with Indian accents.

It is annoying that RCN tacked on a one dollar charge for paying online.

Positives:

No fixed-term contract with penalties.

The sales staff gave me a good promotional package and, at the end of the year, Customer Support gave me another good package. The staff have been polite, friendly and professional. The phone service has always worked well and I remember only three internet outages.

I switched over to RCN from Verizon more than a year ago and I am so pleased I did so. I considered Verizon FIOS but thought that it was too expensive for my needs.

Given the monthly cost and quality of the service and quality of the staff I have been more than satisfied with RCN.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
amended November 2011. RCN have come up with a new bundle, $50 plus charges, that is $65. With the one dollar charge for paying online it is $66. Not pleased about RCN's rate increase in a Recession. But Verizon and Time Warner charge even more..

amended December 2011. Now that there is an uproar that Verizon has tacked on a two dollar charge for paying online, perhaps there will also be an uproar that RCN has a one dollar charge for paying online.

amended February 2012. RCN have upgraded Internet service to 25mb download. For Free! Hooray!

amended May 2012. It has been a long long time since I've needed to call for technical support. Time Warner had a promotion in the neighborhood and offered to knock a few dollars from the price. I decided to stay with RCN because RCN promised no rate increase, because the Internet and Phone service has been so completely reliable and because I have found the staff at RCN to be so nice and professional.

amended July 2012. RCN now provides tech support from Pennsylvania instead of India. A wise decision. They have such pleasant and competent tech support people and I feel more confident. Bravo. I've just bumped up their score for tech support to 100 percent.

amended December 2012. Phone and Internet service went down for a few days because of Hurricane Sandy. All is now well. RCN is doing a good job.

NYC December 1 2013 RCN has continued to provide good service.

Comments:

Review by Pacomartin See Profile

• Location: Bethlehem,Northampton,PA
Good "Excellent Service, good value for money"

RCN, was sold to the private equity firm ABRY Partners in March 2010. You should consider reviews older than that to be obsolete.

member for 1 year, 474 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Maggs See Profile

• Location: Woodside,Queens,NY
Good "Stable Service"
Bad "Phone goes out when you don't have power for a few days :("
Overall "Make sure you watch the techs, they are nice, but tend to not really go above and beyond."

10/13/13: 2:51AM: RCN has us setup for the 25/2 package, and I can't even get anywhere close to that. I only get about 5Mbps/ 2000 from the last few tests I've conducted. It's probably due to the fact that I have a DOCSIS 1.1 modem the SB5101U. The fact that they charge $6 for a converter for RCN Signature Cable is nuts. Those units can be purchased in bulk by MSOs and they are cash cows after the first year. We pay over $160 a month for triple play, that's like a single play since they now require a modem to get their phone service which eats your electricity. They abruptly turned off our phone service at one point in order to let us know that they were switching out the services. It's not really a value for the money anymore and they way they itemize the bill is useless to determine what you're actually paying for each service. We setup auto bill pay for the credit card rewards at this point, and it saves a stamp to mail a bill out.

11/2012: RCN gave us a credit for the long Sandy outage due to power loss. I love the fact they have a new insert in the bill advertising the fact they now require converters and they are free. Turns out they have been charging us for over a year for the "free" converter. My cable modem rental fee credit negates the converter charge but that's not the point. They really need to unify their communications and get everyone on the same page here. I'm going to request a credit for the time period we have been paying for the "free" converter. All in all, the speeds were increased on the cable modem service, which is good. 25/2 service is nice, but I don't really need all that speed. I love how they now require an EMTA to receive digital phone service that needs to be plugged in for your phone to work, and how they unceremoniously shut us off and I had to call and find out they shut off service to customers who have not upgraded their phone service. It's nice that they decided to leave the piece of trash RSU bolted to the back of the house, it's their property and they should remove it when it is no longer needed as part of their service. The unit was discontinued and the manufacturer is out of business, so there's really no need for the unit to be bolted to the brickface of the house anymore. RCN really needs to up their game in the customer service arena in some cases. Also I love how people are so critical of RCN for outages of their service due to Hurricane Sandy, remember people it's a hurricane. They can't control the weather.

7/2011 RCN has got way better since I last reviewed them. I have the occasional "hungry squirrel" problem but that's not too wild. The TV service is TMC (Too Many Channels) but their cable modem service has been great for a while. I got upgraded to 10Mb service when they got rid of the 5Mb service. The bill however is slightly confusing since they don't really itemize too much anymore. All in all RCN has gotten way better. Knock on Wood.

10/2008: I had a problem with RCN, as noted by the newspapers with them charging for the 1st basic cable box which is free. I had to haggle with them for 2 months to fix it, but it was resolved after a complaint to NYC DOITT. Made my mother feel like a dope at the Woodside office, but you don't get good employees sometimes. Sludge happens!

4/20/2008: Haven't had any problems with RCN yet, except for the DNS, which is easily remedied by changing DNS servers, and the 20 second dropoff in phone conversations. The price has increased due to the cable programming being jacked up. With the introduction to all digital TV next year be prepared to pay another $7 a month for extra converters. Speeds on the internet service exceed spec most of the time. RCN forum support folk are awesome, they must really like their jobs. Inept construction crews decide to slice through RCN fiberoptic cable at times making internet service use a PITA at points, but that's very rare, but it happens. Con Ed sometimes decides the nodes don't need power in the summer, and they go offline during brownouts due to things outside RCN control.

All in all there's decent service, the 20 second dropoff in the phone at random times is something I still have to check out.

1/12/2006: RCN has GREATLY improved. The service has gotten immensely better since they have a new management team. You know what they say about fresh blood, it does all the good.

I had a couple of hiccups with the phone service lately, outages for a couple of hours but nothing really major. Cable modem service runs exceptionally well, and I haven't had ANY issues with my Motorola Surfboard 5100 modem, which I own, and save $5 a month with RCN.

Overall customer service, is very helpful, but you have to watch out to make sure they are doing things according to spec. Kudos to the cable modem team, for running a tight ship. I like the responsiveness of replies, and have helped the Cable modem team on occasion diagnose some issues in the area.

All and all, RCN is now worth the money, I only pay $115 for 2 TVs, Internet, and local phone.

1/10/03: I have had 7 techs out since I started service in Sept. They replaced the lines and everything. I even bought my own modem to use on the network. I was not able to get a solid cable light for 3 months in a row. At this point, it seems to be fixed. I had to end up going alll the way to the top of the RCN food chain to get my problems resolved. I just got a call recently from the operations manager of the RCN netowrk in Queens. They are monitoring my connection to make sure I don't have any downtime. I had constant downtime for 2 weeks a while back.

They blocked my node from accessing Newsgroups, and still charge me full price. I talked to RCN support and they said they would credit me 1 month of cable internet service for all the troubles I have had over the past 5 months, and that has not happened. So this company is full of broken promises and half truths. If you have a good connection with them, you are lucky. If not, like me your experience will be utter hell. I hope they don't raise the rates too much whe my year deal is up. If they do, I will complian about how horrible the service has been since the get go.

They send us advertisements offering new services, but we are already customers and not eligible for the promotion, so why waste the paper and send us the mailings.

»/quality/nil/1259432

Doctor Ping Score 63.70
Doctor Ping Score 75.10
Doctor Ping Score 73.30
Doctor Ping Score 70.00

Ever since that point on Sept 26th, I have never has so many problem with RCN cable.

I have to admit their bundled package was cheap, 2 TVs with basic cable (no converter needed) saves $6 a month each, Local Phone with same # as before for $20 unlimited to the 5 boroughs on NYC, regional 5c a min, no Long Distance (since we use cards to call LD anyway)

Total for the whole package with a base of $75 comes out to $95 with the $20 the govt gets in taxes. All and all , I think this is a great deal.

My old bill was for $150 with all the mentioned stuff. I even save $5 a month by using my own cable modem which I bought on Ebay for $50, the same type as TW the RCA 245R.

Great Choice if you have it in your area, but only in the 2 way cable modem markets though.

5000/800 Down /Up speed
4 emails (con need to be called into the head office to setup)
10 Mb webspace per mailbox
Usage checked for mail and ftp

7/18/04

Routing issues are a constant pain. Sometimes it takes 3 mins or more to resolve the DNS. I have had 3 cable modems on this line since install about 10 months ago. I have had over 15 techs out to my house to fix various problems. Many of these issues have not bee resolved to this day. If I were you I would stick with TW, much more expensive, but hey you get what you pay for, but in the case of RCN, you DON"T get what you pay for.

Comments:
dplantz

join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA
·RCN CABLE

Get a new modem and you will have faster speeds

They are discontinuing the older 1.1.1 spec modems. If its rented go to the nearest office and get a 2.0 or newer modem. Order a 3.0 spec modem if you own it. I recommend the the motorola modems. I got mine from Amazon Your modem is the cause of slower speeds with RCN

Review by superberg See Profile

• Location: Skokie,Cook,IL
Good "Good value, mostly reliable internet"
Bad "Poor HD picture quality, bad DNS servers"
Overall "If you are able to troubleshoot simple issues, RCN is worth the savings."

I switched from Comcast as and ISP to RCN as a Cable TV and Internet provider about five months ago. I was getting 12 Mb down/2 up with Comcast (20/6 with PowerBoost, but that isn't sustained) for $60. RCN offered A near-complete HD package (it did not have the highest end tier of standard stations, nor any premium channels), as well as 50 Mb down/6 up for $100. This is off-contract, with a $10/month rate increase annually, guaranteed for two years. The plan includes a TiVo Premier HD in the rate.

An RCN installer (or RCN contractor, I'm not sure) came by within a week to get me set up. I had prepared my small apartment and it's equally tight entertainment center in advance, so the install was very smooth. There were some issues with the line(forward signal to noise ratio was close, but out of spec), which the tech reported and were fixed in less than 48 hours. Service ran without incident during the issue.

I receive my promised service for the most part. There are occasional outages, but nothing worse than I experienced with Comcast. There have been a couple short internet outages and one TV outage. All were brief (less than fifteen minutes), and for a consumer service not unheard of.

My two caveats with RCN are this: First, they significantly over-compress their video, which noticeably reduces picture quality. HD quality is sometimes so poor it is less than SD quality -- less than DVD quality for an HD channel is pretty sad. I don't watch a whole lot of TV, so it is not a deal-breaker for me. It isn't always bad, but it can become a blurry, macroblocking mess at times. Be warned.

Second, their DNS servers appear to be just shy of broken. Within a month, I was having some serious connection issues. However, I noticed that when I switched from their DNS servers to Google's that these issues disappeared. I have not switched back since, so I cannot say if the issue subsided. I am a tech by nature, so I tend to prefer fixing issues by myself rather than calling for support, so I cannot rate their support quality.

So, if you aren't worried about having the best picture at all times and you can handle changing the DNS server on your router, RCN can be a very good deal.

Comments:

Review by hjdiet See Profile

• Location: Bethlehem,Northampton,PA
Good "Pix quality almost as good as DirecTV.. Excellent speeds. Mine is currently around 15Mbs"
Bad "Extended power outages will leave you w/o phone service."
Overall "RCN has nice package deals... can't beat them..."

After having DirecTV for almost 14 years... made the switch to RCN completely... (also got rid of Verizon telephone).. RCN gave me a package (good for three years) that's saving me almost $60 a month (with a Tivo). I had some reservations about their phone service (now VOIP)...but it's been fine. I couldn't tell the difference after I was switched over. One thing to be aware of is that if you have a extended power outage (greater than five/six hours), you'll be without phone service. When your modem powers down, that's it (unless you have the modem plugged into an extended UPS). We found that out during last year's Halloween snowstorm.

The Package increased my Internet speed from 5Mbs to 15Mbs...

A local competitor just finished cabling up our area and their prices aren't even close to RCN's... and they have usage caps!

Very pleased with the service and support... just added Starz for $2.00 per mo....

It's been over three years now and I continue to be pleased with the service...

Comments:

Review by jlgalley See Profile

• Location: Wakefield,Middlesex,MA
Good "Many years of reliable service"
Bad "Long hold times on ISP tech support line; billing system unreliable"
Overall "Can't find a reason to change"

I've used RCN's basic cable TV service and basic 25/2 internet service since 2006 at this location. There is very little to complain about.

Generally I can't say that I get the full speed that is advertised. I often get better than 5Mbps downloads, but just as often get less. It doesn't bother me unless it is less than 1.5Mbps or so, which happens occasionally.

I've twice had TV technicians come to visit. They were pleasant to deal with and efficiently located the problem (in both cases, it was inside my home). I have a TiVo of my own, not provided by RCN. The technicians are competent with a setup involving non-RCN PVR gear.

The customer service center is 100% American operated. It can take a while to get through to discuss billing questions or internet technical support. But the staff are friendly and knowledgeable.

There have been a few service disruptions over the years, but they are generally brief.

I have never tried RCN phone service.

Comments:

Review by Ryno See Profile

• Location: Danielsville,Northampton,PA
Good "Fast, way faster than DSL"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Dropped Verizon DSL for RCN cable."

·Verizon Online DSL
Verizon DSL just wasn't getting it done any more. Connecting at 2.8 MB in today's world doesn't cut it. There are too many toys connected at once.

I switched to RCN once they finally upgraded my lines after living here 15 years. Took them long enough. I got the 25/2 plan and so far it has not tested out less than 26/2.4 for me. Was down for a couple hours one day but they tell me they were still upgrading some of the system and that it was scheduled.

The price is supposed to be $39.99 mo but I got my ow modem so it's $5 less... Same as Verizon was charging me. I know in year 2 and 3 it goes up $5 per month more but it's worth it to get speeds that are 9 times faster in the real world. Also if I want to I could upgrade to 50 MB or75 MB. I figure I have no need for that now since this seems blazing fast compared to DSL.

I can now watch HD videos, use my slingbox HD, and not wait forever to download stuff. Overall, I can't complain as of now. Hopefully they continue to be reliable in the future.

member for 13 years, 4653 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

cheater1

@rcn.com

RCN > Verizon

Me too! I did the same thing. I had Verizon business dsl for 30$/month was promises 5Mbps upload and 2Mbps download. It was so slow, couldn't watch Youtube at 360p. I upgraded to RCN 25/2 plan and I never get less than 25.5Mbps download and 2.2Mbps upload. Now I can load 4+ youtube videos at 1080p without problems. I also had outages my first month. Onetime it was because someone disconnected the cable, don't know who but I managed to find the problem. But month 2 and 3 not one outage. I rate RCN 5/5!