RCN CABLE page on DSLReports

Review by cdr1000 See Profile

• Location: Forest Hills,Queens,NY
Good "Price"
Bad "They need A LOT of pressure when you ask them to fix your service"
Overall "We would like them to stay in business"

Nothing changed at RCN... since 2001

Poor quality technical support, poor quality billing, poor quality customer retention policies.

Download speed is only 16-17 Mbps on a 50 Mbps connection.

Comments:

Review by HarryTorres See Profile

• Location: Allentown,Lehigh,PA

I currently have 75/15 service from RCN, with a Cisco DPC3010 modem.

member for 12.6 years, 1703 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rky_81 See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Cheaper the rivals. TIVO is awesome."
Bad "Not as many features as bigger competitors"
Overall "So far very satisfied with their service. "

I switched from Verizon to RCN. Was not satisfied with Verizon, especially when they increased their prices of set top boxes within 3 months of signing a 2 year contract. When I called the customer service about the increase I was told that I cannot cancel my service without a penalty even though they increased the price. So I waited 1.5 years and cancelled the moment my contract has ended. I don't mind paying a little more as long as the companies are transparent about it. I really don't want to go to Comcast, but luckily my area has RCN too. I thought I will give it a try.

Installation took some time, a little more than expected. Got the TIVO package and I can't believe that I have been paying $28 / month for junk boxes from Verizon. It's been 15 days and so far no issues with internet and TV. At this point, I have nothing to complain about. Got the 50/10 internet package and so far got consistent speeds in the 40 -50 mbps range over wifi. I am getting very good netflix streaming which was awful with verizon.

My only disappointment is they don't have as many options as Verizon or comcast.

Comments:

Review by timmay_lars See Profile

• Location: West Roxbury,Suffolk,MA
Good "Unlimited usage, static IP service."
Bad "pushed to bundle phone and/or cable, price goes up each year."
Overall "good value for price, may unbundle phone as I have already dropped cable TV."

I have the 25/2 Mb service bundled with phone services ($95) and static IP address service ($20) plus tax.

Comments:

Review by scott523 See Profile

• Location: Upper Darby,Delaware,PA
Good "Price, Quick and simple installation."
Bad "Inconsistent speeds, Old debts ON property MUST be paid."
Overall "Best speed for the price. "

Story:
Returned to RCN after their previous management failed to match Verizon's offering in 2010 and now (2013) Verizon can't match RCN's offering under new management.

Unlimited phone covers North America and Internet speed is 50/5 Mbps.

Installation:
Installation was quick since I had RCN before. A simple DOSIS 3.0 cable modem was installed and a phone box down in the basement. I opted to connect my own Apple AirPort Extreme base station to the modem. This is one less equipment to return if I have to jump ship.

Good:
1. Best speed for the price despite inconsistent speeds (see below).
2. Quick installation and no software was installed.
3. Although I could have signed up myself, this offer was brought to me by a kind representative going door to door.

Bad:
1. Inconsistent speeds can be a problem, especially during peak time. Speeds can go from 5/5 to 30/5 Mbps. It's a good thing I'm not a power user or I may consider using Verizon FiOS which is reliable.
2. Upon signing up for service, the representative ran a check of any debts on the property. There was an unpaid debt NOT under my name but someone who used to live here. If I didn't know this person or if my service deal wasn't good, I would've turned away but I paid the discounted debt dating back about 5 years.

member for 8.6 years, 1614 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by jsullvn See Profile

• Location: Jim Thorpe,Carbon,PA
Good "Ease of order process, install time, service good."
Overall "Recommend"

nice

Comments:

Review by Pacomartin See Profile

• Location: Bethlehem,Northampton,PA
Good "Excellent Service, good value for money"

RCN, was sold to the private equity firm ABRY Partners in March 2010. You should consider reviews older than that to be obsolete.

Comments:

Review by Maggs See Profile

• Location: Woodside,Queens,NY
Good "Stable Service"
Bad "Phone goes out when you don't have power for a few days :("
Overall "Make sure you watch the techs, they are nice, but tend to not really go above and beyond."

10/13/13: 2:51AM: RCN has us setup for the 25/2 package, and I can't even get anywhere close to that. I only get about 5Mbps/ 2000 from the last few tests I've conducted. It's probably due to the fact that I have a DOCSIS 1.1 modem the SB5101U. The fact that they charge $6 for a converter for RCN Signature Cable is nuts. Those units can be purchased in bulk by MSOs and they are cash cows after the first year. We pay over $160 a month for triple play, that's like a single play since they now require a modem to get their phone service which eats your electricity. They abruptly turned off our phone service at one point in order to let us know that they were switching out the services. It's not really a value for the money anymore and they way they itemize the bill is useless to determine what you're actually paying for each service. We setup auto bill pay for the credit card rewards at this point, and it saves a stamp to mail a bill out.

11/2012: RCN gave us a credit for the long Sandy outage due to power loss. I love the fact they have a new insert in the bill advertising the fact they now require converters and they are free. Turns out they have been charging us for over a year for the "free" converter. My cable modem rental fee credit negates the converter charge but that's not the point. They really need to unify their communications and get everyone on the same page here. I'm going to request a credit for the time period we have been paying for the "free" converter. All in all, the speeds were increased on the cable modem service, which is good. 25/2 service is nice, but I don't really need all that speed. I love how they now require an EMTA to receive digital phone service that needs to be plugged in for your phone to work, and how they unceremoniously shut us off and I had to call and find out they shut off service to customers who have not upgraded their phone service. It's nice that they decided to leave the piece of trash RSU bolted to the back of the house, it's their property and they should remove it when it is no longer needed as part of their service. The unit was discontinued and the manufacturer is out of business, so there's really no need for the unit to be bolted to the brickface of the house anymore. RCN really needs to up their game in the customer service arena in some cases. Also I love how people are so critical of RCN for outages of their service due to Hurricane Sandy, remember people it's a hurricane. They can't control the weather.

7/2011 RCN has got way better since I last reviewed them. I have the occasional "hungry squirrel" problem but that's not too wild. The TV service is TMC (Too Many Channels) but their cable modem service has been great for a while. I got upgraded to 10Mb service when they got rid of the 5Mb service. The bill however is slightly confusing since they don't really itemize too much anymore. All in all RCN has gotten way better. Knock on Wood.

10/2008: I had a problem with RCN, as noted by the newspapers with them charging for the 1st basic cable box which is free. I had to haggle with them for 2 months to fix it, but it was resolved after a complaint to NYC DOITT. Made my mother feel like a dope at the Woodside office, but you don't get good employees sometimes. Sludge happens!

4/20/2008: Haven't had any problems with RCN yet, except for the DNS, which is easily remedied by changing DNS servers, and the 20 second dropoff in phone conversations. The price has increased due to the cable programming being jacked up. With the introduction to all digital TV next year be prepared to pay another $7 a month for extra converters. Speeds on the internet service exceed spec most of the time. RCN forum support folk are awesome, they must really like their jobs. Inept construction crews decide to slice through RCN fiberoptic cable at times making internet service use a PITA at points, but that's very rare, but it happens. Con Ed sometimes decides the nodes don't need power in the summer, and they go offline during brownouts due to things outside RCN control.

All in all there's decent service, the 20 second dropoff in the phone at random times is something I still have to check out.

1/12/2006: RCN has GREATLY improved. The service has gotten immensely better since they have a new management team. You know what they say about fresh blood, it does all the good.

I had a couple of hiccups with the phone service lately, outages for a couple of hours but nothing really major. Cable modem service runs exceptionally well, and I haven't had ANY issues with my Motorola Surfboard 5100 modem, which I own, and save $5 a month with RCN.

Overall customer service, is very helpful, but you have to watch out to make sure they are doing things according to spec. Kudos to the cable modem team, for running a tight ship. I like the responsiveness of replies, and have helped the Cable modem team on occasion diagnose some issues in the area.

All and all, RCN is now worth the money, I only pay $115 for 2 TVs, Internet, and local phone.

1/10/03: I have had 7 techs out since I started service in Sept. They replaced the lines and everything. I even bought my own modem to use on the network. I was not able to get a solid cable light for 3 months in a row. At this point, it seems to be fixed. I had to end up going alll the way to the top of the RCN food chain to get my problems resolved. I just got a call recently from the operations manager of the RCN netowrk in Queens. They are monitoring my connection to make sure I don't have any downtime. I had constant downtime for 2 weeks a while back.

They blocked my node from accessing Newsgroups, and still charge me full price. I talked to RCN support and they said they would credit me 1 month of cable internet service for all the troubles I have had over the past 5 months, and that has not happened. So this company is full of broken promises and half truths. If you have a good connection with them, you are lucky. If not, like me your experience will be utter hell. I hope they don't raise the rates too much whe my year deal is up. If they do, I will complian about how horrible the service has been since the get go.

They send us advertisements offering new services, but we are already customers and not eligible for the promotion, so why waste the paper and send us the mailings.

»/quality/nil/1259432

Doctor Ping Score 63.70
Doctor Ping Score 75.10
Doctor Ping Score 73.30
Doctor Ping Score 70.00

Ever since that point on Sept 26th, I have never has so many problem with RCN cable.

I have to admit their bundled package was cheap, 2 TVs with basic cable (no converter needed) saves $6 a month each, Local Phone with same # as before for $20 unlimited to the 5 boroughs on NYC, regional 5c a min, no Long Distance (since we use cards to call LD anyway)

Total for the whole package with a base of $75 comes out to $95 with the $20 the govt gets in taxes. All and all , I think this is a great deal.

My old bill was for $150 with all the mentioned stuff. I even save $5 a month by using my own cable modem which I bought on Ebay for $50, the same type as TW the RCA 245R.

Great Choice if you have it in your area, but only in the 2 way cable modem markets though.

5000/800 Down /Up speed
4 emails (con need to be called into the head office to setup)
10 Mb webspace per mailbox
Usage checked for mail and ftp

7/18/04

Routing issues are a constant pain. Sometimes it takes 3 mins or more to resolve the DNS. I have had 3 cable modems on this line since install about 10 months ago. I have had over 15 techs out to my house to fix various problems. Many of these issues have not bee resolved to this day. If I were you I would stick with TW, much more expensive, but hey you get what you pay for, but in the case of RCN, you DON"T get what you pay for.

Comments:
dplantz

join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA

Get a new modem and you will have faster speeds

They are discontinuing the older 1.1.1 spec modems. If its rented go to the nearest office and get a 2.0 or newer modem. Order a 3.0 spec modem if you own it. I recommend the the motorola modems. I got mine from Amazon Your modem is the cause of slower speeds with RCN

Review by superberg See Profile

• Location: Skokie,Cook,IL
Good "Good value, mostly reliable internet"
Bad "Poor HD picture quality, bad DNS servers"
Overall "If you are able to troubleshoot simple issues, RCN is worth the savings."

I switched from Comcast as and ISP to RCN as a Cable TV and Internet provider about five months ago. I was getting 12 Mb down/2 up with Comcast (20/6 with PowerBoost, but that isn't sustained) for $60. RCN offered A near-complete HD package (it did not have the highest end tier of standard stations, nor any premium channels), as well as 50 Mb down/6 up for $100. This is off-contract, with a $10/month rate increase annually, guaranteed for two years. The plan includes a TiVo Premier HD in the rate.

An RCN installer (or RCN contractor, I'm not sure) came by within a week to get me set up. I had prepared my small apartment and it's equally tight entertainment center in advance, so the install was very smooth. There were some issues with the line(forward signal to noise ratio was close, but out of spec), which the tech reported and were fixed in less than 48 hours. Service ran without incident during the issue.

I receive my promised service for the most part. There are occasional outages, but nothing worse than I experienced with Comcast. There have been a couple short internet outages and one TV outage. All were brief (less than fifteen minutes), and for a consumer service not unheard of.

My two caveats with RCN are this: First, they significantly over-compress their video, which noticeably reduces picture quality. HD quality is sometimes so poor it is less than SD quality -- less than DVD quality for an HD channel is pretty sad. I don't watch a whole lot of TV, so it is not a deal-breaker for me. It isn't always bad, but it can become a blurry, macroblocking mess at times. Be warned.

Second, their DNS servers appear to be just shy of broken. Within a month, I was having some serious connection issues. However, I noticed that when I switched from their DNS servers to Google's that these issues disappeared. I have not switched back since, so I cannot say if the issue subsided. I am a tech by nature, so I tend to prefer fixing issues by myself rather than calling for support, so I cannot rate their support quality.

So, if you aren't worried about having the best picture at all times and you can handle changing the DNS server on your router, RCN can be a very good deal.

member for 4.7 years, 14 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by hjdiet See Profile

• Location: Bethlehem,Northampton,PA
Good "Pix quality almost as good as DirecTV.. Excellent speeds. Mine is currently around 15Mbs"
Bad "Extended power outages will leave you w/o phone service."
Overall "RCN has nice package deals... can't beat them..."

After having DirecTV for almost 14 years... made the switch to RCN completely... (also got rid of Verizon telephone).. RCN gave me a package (good for three years) that's saving me almost $60 a month (with a Tivo). I had some reservations about their phone service (now VOIP)...but it's been fine. I couldn't tell the difference after I was switched over. One thing to be aware of is that if you have a extended power outage (greater than five/six hours), you'll be without phone service. When your modem powers down, that's it (unless you have the modem plugged into an extended UPS). We found that out during last year's Halloween snowstorm.

The Package increased my Internet speed from 5Mbs to 15Mbs...

A local competitor just finished cabling up our area and their prices aren't even close to RCN's... and they have usage caps!

Very pleased with the service and support... just added Starz for $2.00 per mo....

It's been over three years now and I continue to be pleased with the service...