Polar Communications page on DSLReports

Review by mowerdude See Profile

• Location: Pisek,Walsh,ND
  • Telco party Primary Network
Good "5.5 to 7.2 MB/sec so far. Great speed!"
Bad "None found yet (after 3 days)."
Overall "Best in this area."

I tried two Wireless "High Speed" providers previously. VERIZON was junk from the start at 14 kbit/sec, so I cancelled within the 30 day satisfaction period.

AllTel started out O.K. at 500+ kbit/sec, but in the last 3 months, degenerated to as low as Zero kbit/sec with a 36+ second latency (ping) and has become useless. I may have to pay the early termination fee, but it will be worth it to get rid of the aggravation.

POLAR's system is relatively new, having been completed within the last year or so and is FAST for this rural area (ADSL2+). I live just outside a town with a population of 70 and can stream video with little to no buffering. I've only had it for three days, but am quite satisfied thus far. Download speeds are consistently over 5 MB/sec and usually around 7 MB/sec, as tested at www.speedtest.net.

The Modem (leased, so far) has a "PANNAWAY" brand "badge", but is a Thomson ST546v6, with 4 Ethernet ports. Getting my NETGEAR WGR 614v6, 4 port/wireless router interfaced was a 2 hour challenge, because I don't do this all the time, so there was a learning curve. These things are not always plug and play, depending on the situation. The installer offered to assist me in getting things up and running, but I had three printers and a system unit that were down at the time. I wanted to respect his time, especially since POLAR had waived the $125.00 installation fee as a Christmas Promotion.

The pre-sale information was a bit lacking, causing me to decide to lease rather than supply my own modem. Had I more info, I would probably have purchased a combination Wireless/Ethernet/Modem from an on line retailer. I must admit that I didn't try very hard to get information prior to the sale, due to "struggling" with AllTel about the wireless debacle. The POLAR Installer was quite knowledgeable and provided me with all needed information.

In conclusion, I'm now a happy camper and my opinion of POLAR Communications has increased considerably.

Comments:

Review by ungurubulan See Profile

• Location: Larimore,Grand Forks,ND
  • Telco party Polar Communications
Good "They exist"
Bad "They exist"
Overall "Give invisimax a call before you call Polar."

Polar's PPPOE is as much weather dependent as it can be. If the connection goes down on the weekend, no internet until Monday.
Speeds are great in the morning and slow down as the day progresses to 480 kbps.
Countryside provider providing countryside services.

Comments:

Review by Carol See Profile

• Location: Park River,Walsh,ND
Good "Consistent speeds and uptime"
Bad "Need phone line"
Overall "Great deal!"

$125 installation fee - can be stretched over first 6 months bills
$3.95 per month modem lease fee (Pannaway)
Federal Universal Service Charge (FUSC) = 11.7%

3 blocks from CO
Speeds advertised up to 3Mbps - I've never seen better than 1.8Mbps.

Comments:

Review by Elkherder See Profile

• Location: Park River,Walsh,ND
Good "Speed is great."
Bad "None."
Overall "It works!"

$125 installation fee
$3.95 per month modem lease fee (Pannaway)

Speeds advertised up to 3Mbps - I've never seen better than 1.8Mbps, but it works for me.