Argon Technologies Inc. page on DSLReports

Good "None"
Bad "Suck"
Overall "Suck"

Suck

Comments:

IneedHelp 3

@172.242.6.x

would it work>

i live in Sulphur springs alittle past the city limits in the country was wondering if Argon would work for me please let me know and would it support gaming like xbox, and PC games..

Review by Barryac See Profile

• Location: Royse City,Rockwall,TX
Good "good for the price"
Bad "goes out some time but only for a short period "
Overall "good for the money, for my area we do not have a lot of choice "

·Cool Access
Very happy with Argon Technologies, compared to my old IP,,the price is reasonable and the service is much more dependable than my last IP (cool access). Unlimited data and getting what I paid for. Again unlike cool access I pay for 1 mps and that is what I get, cool access paid for 2.5 luck if I got .50. I highly recommend Argon Technologies. Install went off with out a hitch and the few times I had problems there was always some one there to help.

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 166 days ago

Comments:

Review by Kabong30 See Profile

• Location: Caddo Mills,Hunt,TX
Good "Nothing at all (UPDATED)"
Bad "Pretty much everything"
Overall "Avoid this company. No internet is better than dealing with these people."

Just wanted to give an update of my experience in trying to sever business with these people. They are insanely difficult and because I have contracted with another Canopy provider (wi-five) they are now trying to make life miserable by insisting that the antenna mast (which is permanently affixed to my house) is their property and that they want to come and rip it off the house. I fought with them for an hour in total and even offered to just buy them a new mast and they refused, insisting that it be that mast, to the point that I asked them what would happen if the mast was destroyed and they said, "We'd bill you and then come for the pieces of the mast". I then told them that they were not authorized to enter my property, that I'd bring them the equipment that was removed from the mast. They then said they could enter my property whenever they wanted to retrieve their equipment. I explained the concept of a permanent fixture and that when it was attached it because part of my home, they refused to hear logic. The level of not just apathy, but open hostility displayed by this company by their employees is mind-boggling. Even when you think you are free of them you are not and they will try to bill you, cajole you, and nearly down right threaten you to get what they have decided they want.

(Previous review) Yeah, so, when I wrote my initial review I got some help from Marc over at Argon, but the reality is this service just isn't that great. There is some promise out there of upgraded equipment and improved speeds, but there is no ETA and my service still drops regularly. The other thing I found is that they didn't ground the surge protector on the side of my house (although they did ground the antenna itself) and I find that I have to unplug the cabling sometimes to get my connection back. They're still the only game in town (no pun intended) for online gaming because they're ping numbers are super low (unlike satellite). I'm still a little sore at paying $75 for a 2mb connection (with only 512 up), it's pretty sorry when my cellphone is faster than my home internet. If you don't do XBox Live and the like, you might be OK with Satellite instead.

Comments:
w5nl

join:2011-11-13

Are you illiterate and can't read?

Damn Marco. When are you going to get the hint and fix this mess of a WLAN you have?

The hits keep a coming

w5nl_

@208.101.214.x

DANG!

I'm speechless but not surprised. Glad you got out.

• Location: Lone Oak,Hunt,TX
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "The promise of hi speed in the country"
Bad "Cannot deliver a stable connection at anywhere near the contract speed"
Overall "Almost unusable"

We've had Argon two different times hoping that they had gotten their act
together. We are down EVERY DAY during the day for short intervals. This
makes it very difficult to work from home via a VPN. At night 80% of the
time it fails at some point., usually between 8:15 and 8:45. On the weekend
it is down what seems like half the time. I try to do online training and
its just not possible. We are paying for 2mb and usually, when it IS up,
it's more like 350-600. The tech support, to their credit, has tried. They
even came out, put up a 40' pole, changed the antenna and pointed us to a
different tower. No change after the first day. I certainly hope that this
is not the case, but it sort of looks like they have over-subscribed their
entire network and simply cannot fulfill their contract. I own a couple of
shops in the area and I have never had a customer come in who said
they had good service.

(review was emailed from domain pulselabs.net)

Comments:

Review by jacelemmon See Profile

• Location: Quinlan,Hunt,TX
Good "Better then Satellite and give a good conection to rural areas"
Bad "Tech Support, repairs take over a week, the people of customer service are apathitic"
Overall "If you have a choice - look for a diferent provider"

They are a small company and every time we have issues, it is always the same technician, which leads me to believe that they only have one technician. Our service has gone in and out over 20 times a day for the past few days, and it takes them over a week to schedule someone to come out to fix the issue. Anyone looking at using this company for service should beware. When the service does work, because it's on a shared service, there can be delays which affect video streaming and VOIP connections. If you have a choice, find a better provider.

Comments:

Review by w5nl See Profile

• Location: Cumby,Hopkins,TX
Good "Nothing at all"
Bad "8 days to do a 15 minute install. Unstable connection AT BEST!!"
Overall "Doesn't seem to care..tech support is a joke...staw away unless it's your only rural option."

·Millenicom
I called Argon for service on 12/12. Was told install date will be 12/20!? I got installed and you get what you pay for. 2mbps is 2mbps. there are no bursts to 10mbps(False claim). When you live in the sticks you take what you can get..

I rated value for the money at a zero because $81/mo(taxes included) for a hard throttled 2mbps is a bit much, but those are his prices and have been those prices since he started offering broadband AFAIK. The internet is changing and nowadays 2mbps is just barely enough for someone who USES the internet. If your looking up muffin recipies, 2mbps is plenty. IMHO $81 should at LEAST get you a 3.5mbps connection if not 4.

Now for the review after one week of service.

Since I have been installed, my link to their AP(tower) will not stay up for 15 minutes at a time. If it went down once it has been down 100 times in the last 7 days. Until today I sent an email and a screenshot EVERY time the service has gone down. Emails totaling 45. That's just when it went down while I was trying to use it. Out of the 40 emails I was replied to TWICE. Both times had me go through the gammit of quick fixes. Bypass the router...why? Need the router for WiFi for my other devices. However, I did all she asked with no result.

This has been the one of the most unstable internet connections I have ever had. Just today I could not hold a stable 32k WMA AUDIO STREAM!!!!! I had to resort to using my cellphone for listening to this stream(The Ticket). I cannot in good faith recommend Argon Technologies to anyone and I am writing this for all to see before they make the mistake of subscribing.

When the link is up, it is ok, except during peak hours and then the speed suffers drastically. It appears that he does not have the backbone service to support all his users.

This is a cut and paste of an email to support:

This is what happened (Attached a screenshot of the speed at 570k) last night after 5 when everyone’s home and the network traffic is at a peak. Check the SM, it has gone down twice in the last 30 minutes.

I am going to require a 2 mbps connection...nothing less. The package does not say UP TO 2mbps for $74.95, it says 64x 2mbps $74.95. I have seen that less than 5 times today during non-peak hours. If you cannot supply the bandwidth I pay for then I am going to have to do something else, especially at $81/mo. No hard feelings but I do expect to get at LEAST what I pay for.

Brian McElvy

No reply. Guess they went and hid under their desks.

If the problems get fixed, I will amend this review accordingly. You have until 1/1/12 then I will hold YOU in breach of contract and move on. Just like I signed a contract to pay you, you are in a binding contract to supply me with the advertised speed at the advertised price. You are not even close to fulfilling your end of the deal. I believe the legal term is "Specific Performance".

Bottom line: Stay away

Update: Today 12/27 I was offered to be let out of my contract. I accepted. First they called about setting me up a service call to try and fix the problem. I said "Fine, do what you have to do to keep this up." 10 minutes later I got the offer to release me out of my contract.

Sounds like they are aware that they cannot provide what I am paying for. So there is the story of my experience with Argon Technologies.

Caveat Emptor

Update 1/10/12: They have removed the claim of "bursts to 10mbps" from their website and added "up to". But here on DSL reports they claim 14MPBS BURSTS!!!! WOW!! IMAGINE THAT!!!! Look out Cable!

About Argon Technologies Inc. ..

Argon Technologies offers Phantom Wave Wireless Broadband Internet Service to all of Hunt County Texas and most of the surrounding counties. We are rapidly expanding our service area in all directions.

Phantom Wave Broadband Internet Access provides our users from 128Kb/s to 3 Mb/s transfer rates with burst speeds of up to 14 Mb/s!!

Data Rates ranging up to 100 Mb/s are available for our commercial customers.

Availability:
Texas

Not offending

but normally ISPs are covered by "up to" and outage are acts of God and nature and are not covered for breach.

Re: Not offending

No act of God here. condx are perfect and my SM at 58 feet and the AP is 2 miles away. A bit overkill but I was trying for service out of Commerce 10 miles away and the reflector was up there with a good cable run, so we just swapped SM's and aimed the reflector, I'm in line of 2 AP's with the Commerce ISP and the SM is picking up both and cancelling(bleeding over) each other. Just bad luck where I fall on the map.

My signal to the AP is -57dbM with a 1 jitter. When its up pingtest.net shows this is a world class line in terms of quality, speed is acceptable, but the link will not stay up. I have ruled out any NAT/firewall problems. No act of God, just a bad network with obviously poor administrators.

P.S. There is nothing between my SM and the AP but clear blue sky. not a tree limb.....nothing.

The only thing that has not been ruled out is interference from the Tier One/Cool Access AP which is not in a direct line but close.

join:2011-11-13
Also in the contract there is no mention of "UP TO'

Needless to say this has become a nightmare. During this writing the link has dropped twice. They got issues! And a week to fix it.
StLCardsFan

join:2011-06-06
Lafayette, LA
·LUS Fiber

Re: Not offending

not that I know for sure ...but i looked at a centurylink ISP map and it says Cumby, TX. is in its service area.

I would assume you would have centurylink if it was available? If not ..what do your neighbors use?

2 mile LOS wireless shot shouldn't be a big deal. Ive seen 20+ miles down petroleum pipelines ..and yes up in your part of Texas.

Re: Not offending

Centurylink used to be here until one day back a few years ago, they came by and ripped their infrastructure off the poles.

Here you have:
Cool Access/Tier One = See my review

Argon Technologies = See my Review

Cumby Telephone DSL = 1.5 for $60 and you have to have a house phone($13.00)

I am currently on a trial run with Enet/Koyote out of Commerce. $39.95 for 6mbps!!!!!!!!. Still having some interference issues but we're close to hammering them out. Best service I have ever had......when it's up!

Re: Not offending

Centlink is NOT just going to take down their network off the poles. And especially when you say they still of offer 1.5meg dsl for $60. Looks like they prolly put the lines underground and most phone companies did do that. YEARS ago. Hell ATT did that back when it was Ameritech.

2 edits

Re: Not offending

Dude. Did you catch my username? Google it. No idiot here. The cable infrastructure that was in place had been up since the 70's. The cable service was not even worth stealing. Our head in was small tin bldg. and our locals were being received on a RESIDENTIAL antenna with a preamp(70 miles from cedar hill). Cable internet was never offered. City hall says there was less than 30 legitimate subs, and over 200 illegal connections. Centurylink had to upgrade or cut bait. They cut bait. The 1.5 dsl comes from the Telco. Ya think I would have known if they dug up my yard.
Plus, I still have 80 feet of 75 ohm hardline they gave me when they made it down my street.
I should add that this is a rural town. POP 1200

Toledo, OH
doesn't have to be in writing though. hey can say you should have assumed or post it on their website. But you do not mention anything about it saying "act of God or Nature". That basically would be "up to" and screw you any way possible.

Re: Not offending

People or businesses do not offer to let you out of a contract 4 days in if they didn't know they had a serious problem. The thing is, I'm one of those people who will screw back. You don't screw me and I just lay down and take it.
Expand your moderator at work
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

...

The only thing you accomplish by bumping your review is ruining what little credibility you have. You have nothing new to add to your review, you are no longer a customer of this company, you are doing nothing more than flaming them.

4 edits

Re: ...WIRELESSDOG IS A TROLL!

The reason this went to the top was because "coelhomc" wrote a pointless, childish, flaming comment about me and I replied pointing out just how bad he embarrased himself as a Greenville businessman. He further showed everyone the mind of the man in control of this orginization, and what an immature idiot he was by writing the comments he wrote. He has since deleted it with his head in his hands in shame one would gather. Mr. Dog, you are correct, I am no longer a customer of his but that doesn't mean that I'll stop "looking out for the folks", helping the uninformed customer so they don't sign up for this and be forced to pay for and suffer through it for a whole year.

Speaking of credibility, didn't YOU just bump this post? Why does someone in MARYLAND have so much interest about a discussion of an irrelevant ISP in rural north Texas? Don't see "moderator" anywhere in your profile, so what gives? A quick scan of your posting history proves you are nothing more than a forum troll. How much credibility is given to trolls? NONE!

Thanks for doing this though. It puts his reviews on the top of the homepage where it belongs. It should be a sticky.

Re: ...

Link to deleted post.
»Review of Argon Technologies Inc.

Review by Anolin See Profile

• Location: Trenton,Fannin,TX
Good "Installating went fine"
Bad "Everything else"
Overall "Verdict is still out (Will update after service call on 2/22/12"

I also live in the country and one of the prices to pay for this is the lack of broadband internet. Well, as of late I have started to work from home so a stable, always on connection is required. I work in a Citrix environment so any dropped connections will boot me out - this isn’t your grandmother's type of connection where she needs to print out a recipe or read celebrity gossip.

At any rate, the installation went pretty smooth except they want to charge me an extra 100$ just do run the cable down the wall from the attic instead of drilling in from the outside. The first day of service seemed okay but it just randomly started dropping the PPPoE connection on my router (I have a NetGear WNDR4500 which is no piece of junk from Wal Mart). The first time it went down hard was around 6pm so I called their office and of course I get the afterhour’s voicemail. Apparently they have 2 options for support: A call back before 9pm same day or next business day. Since I work from home, I left a message on the "before 9pm" mailbox and never received a call. I also sent them an email regarding the problem and the next morning rolls around and I still haven't received a call or a follow up email.

So finally 8:30 am rolls around and I call them, talk to a support rep who tries a few things on their end, but cannot resolve the problem from there. My PPPoE connection still just randomly drops and it seems to be worse in the afternoon and evenings. So, they scheduled a service call on Friday 2/17 for Wed 2/22 even though I've explained that I'm working from home and this is not for recreational use. I’ve called them at other times while it was down, but was told they can’t do anything from their office and that I’d have to wait for my service call.

Over the weekend my connection has been total crap. I’ve turned off both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz radios on my router and I’ve verified that there are no other wireless devices in my house that could interfere with the radio tower on the roof, yet it continues to go up and down. This morning I get up and at first my connection is working fine but it just goes down without any reason at all so I call Argon again to see if they have any way of getting someone out here faster – but of course they don’t.

So here are my issues with Argon so far:

1. Why even offer support before 9pm same day if no one is going to call you back?

2. Why even offer a support email if no one is going to email you back?

3. The phone says that office hours are until 5:30pm CST but I’ve called multiple times between 4:30 and 5:30 and no one has answered the phone.

4. They act like they don’t really care that I work from home and that I need a stable, always-on connection.

Who knows, maybe they can fix it tomorrow – and if so, I’ll amend this review and change my rating. But as of right now, they have not impressed me at all and need severe changes in their policy, procedures, and in their attitudes.

UPDATE AS OF 2/22:

They came out and found interference on my connection and said that they would have someone back at the office try and change my frequency settings on the tower itself or have to raise the mast up another 10 feet. I'll wait a day or so for a callback from them and go from there.

Comments:
scott72t

join:2012-02-28

argon

Sounds real familiar. I had them for 7 months with dropped connections till I figured out the problem and had to show them how to fix it.
Check your box outside where the lines come in and make sure you line is grounded. There should be a spot on the left and right where the line goes in and then out, and a ground section in the middle leading out down to a pole grounded.
I had 4 service visits where they raised the antenna higher and higher. I went from around 10 foot to a huge 40+ tall antenna on my house and all those visits they never once grounded the thing. So any time the phone rang, my electric gate oped etc i lost signal.
You'll only get someone during office hours, and don't hold your breathe that they will care or help..

3 edits

Re: argon

Imagine that. And I got flamed here for my complaint. I am every ISP's worst nightmare. These ppl are every customers nightmare. What a joke of an ISP. Here's another example of the idoiocracy from these ppl I have noticed. The veterinary office on 30 and Lamar have a perfectly good Rohn 45 tower which has had another ISP's equipment on it before. Yet they put that GAWD awful mess on his roof......REALLY? Wonder what their excuse was for not using the tower.

They did not ground my surge protector either, so I grounded it to the ground network at the base of my tower. See pics below. Didn't help. Their equipment was at 60 feet and I'm close enough to the Cumby AP I didn't even need a reflector. They are installing customers in Sulphur Springs along the Peerless highway with no reflector. Their AP in Sulphur Springs is on the KSTR tower across(ish) from the hospital.

Obviously they came out and fed you a line of crap. This issue is on all of their towers. It's the network and its administrator. The interference is between Marco's ears and the hub.

Enough.....just read my review below.

Review by bmartus See Profile

• Location: Greenville,Hunt,TX
Good "Great customer service, fast install, worked with us for our custom situation."
Bad "None."
Overall "Good value for fast, reliable speed."

Because of where we are located, our office has limited options for Internet service. We were too far outside the city limits and unable to get a reliable high-speed option at a decent price. Argon Technologies worked with us to provide a fast and reliable solution. We haven't had any outages and Argon Technologies has worked with us quickly whenever we had any questions or needed anything updated with our service.

Comments:

Review by aerohead See Profile

• Location: Greenville,Hunt,TX
Good "Prompt Reaction and Resolution of Problems, Constantly improving capability and reliability of service."
Bad "Technical Service on afer hours and on Weekends not available until recently."
Overall "Good Relable Service"

I have been using Argontech as my means of accessing the Internet for a good number of years, from the lowest to highest speed dial-up, to their entry into the broadband world of internet service. One of their primary assets is their ability to provide their users with a reasonably wide offering of performance capability vs. cost based on the users requirements. I have considered other broadband providers some not chosen due to their availability in rural areas, others not chosen simply because their service was either higher in cost, did not provide variety of cost options, or their cost difference was not significant enough to go through all of the steps required of changing ISPs.

Comments:

Review by thebutlers See Profile

• Location: Quinlan,Hunt,TX
Good "really up front with us for the work to be done"
Bad "they cleaned up any that was in place by other people"
Overall "they are the best"

knowing all of the people that work there they have a very good support team.
they know their work and are friendly and very good with people. they listen and
put up with a lot of neg, people wanting something for nothing.

been with them for quite awhile and transfered from dial up to wireless and enjoy the
freedom we have with using our phones.