Earthlink Satellite powered by DIRECWAY page on DSLReports

Review by Mikey_G See Profile

• Location: Vintondale,Cambria,PA
Good "Gen 4 much better than original"
Bad "none yet"
Mail,DNS,News:

Satellite is the only option in my area. I had the original HughesNet and it has slowed to a crawl. It's no secret Hughes has oversold its network. I got the Gen4 Power Pro plan 10M down/2M up and it's costing me the same amount as the old plan except that my speeds are 10 times faster in both directions. The installer was courteous and I actually helped him with the install (I used to install Uverse for AT&T). I've read the other reviews and have had none of the issues that other people seem to be having. Overall very satisfied with service.

Comments:

Review by animalfa

• Location: Berkeley Springs,Morgan,WV
Good "i need to get satellite service back from earthlink"

hi-
i have had earthlink satellite service forever- i live in a rural area
and thats about it-- for the last month, i have been unable to connect
to the internet with my satellite- i have the dreaded dw4000 modem- i
keep getting a message that there is a satellite outage- well, i have
spent entire days and hours and days on the phone with every one
imaginable at earthlink , in india and in atlanta , ga.,- no one will
give me the reason, all i get is the runaround : "the engineers are
working on it...."- i understand i would be back in business (literally
since i sell on ebay for a living) if i could get an updated new modem-
seems easy ? well, earthlink will neither give us one OR sell us one !!
yet they classify us as premium customers- i keep going up the
corporate ladder, with some employees actually being outraged also, and
then , WHAM , (just like a stephen king novel) they pull back and say -
oh no- can't do it- does anyone have any advice ?

(review was emailed from domain ix.netcom.com)

Comments:

Review by matthewserta See Profile

• Location: Marion,Mcdowell,NC
Good "Was Faster than DialUp"
Bad "Install charge was MORE than advertised and Hidden Charges"
Overall "No Way dont even think about it"
Mail,DNS,News:

TERRORABLE TERRORABLE TERRORABLE! The installer claimed he was hurt and Made ME dig the line about 100 yards to the house, and then charged me 100 dollars extra for the lINE. Then they send me a bill the next day wanting another 100.00 for the servace, then they said that they want another 50.00 because i had more than one computer! I was so MADD at them for 5 months i never paid them a dime, then they turned me off and i still havent payed them.

Comments:

Review by elkhornsun See Profile

• Location: Salinas,Monterey,CA
Good "they answer the phone"
Bad "no upgrade path for 4000 modems which are no longer supported by Hughes"
Overall "earthlink is a poor choice for satellite service - better to go directly with HughesNet"

I have been using Earthlink's satellite service that uses DirectWay
equipment for over 4 years. The old modems, DW4000 units, are no longer
available as they were replaced first by the DW 6000 modems and then the
DW7000 ones. My DW4000 has been failing intermittently for several
weeks. I have spent over 4 hours talking to tech support people at
Earthlink and they keep asking the same questions to which my answers
are apparently not being recorded by the tech support personnel. They
have done everything they can to avoid replacing my defective modem,
having me go through endless diagnostics, re-install the software,
disconnect cables, etc., which I have done. Now in spite of a USB
hardware device failure error messages the last tech insisted that it
was due to a virus and that I needed to add the latest service pack from
Microsoft and if I refused while then the problem was the bad customer
and not the bad tech support. My only recourse is to terminate my
account with Earthlink and start a new account with DirectWay to get
service and support.

Bruce Stenman

Comments:

Review by wa3nko See Profile

• Location: Weaverville,Buncombe,NC
Good "Seems to work most of the time"
Bad "Very slow speed. Cannot access any newsgroups"
Overall "Wish I had another choice!"
Mail,DNS,News:

After installation, was out for most of the next day. Bad thunderstorms in the night but the day was clear and still no service. Finally it came back on line. Browsing speeds are very bad. I am used to DSL and this seems like maybe 100 to 200 kps speed to me. Faster than dial up but not good speed at all. Then the newsgroups. Somehow I am cannot get connected to an Earthlink IP address so cannot use the earthlink newsgroups addressing. I need to get a news reader program. Earthlink has "escalated" this issue to their engineers but I wait with (naturally) no response from them. Wish I understood how I can not get an Earthlink IP address with my Earthlink account.

Comments:

Review by weiser See Profile

• Location: South Bend,St Joseph,IN
Good "Excellent for downloading"
Bad "Upload slow..........FAP"
Overall "Can't complain, only thing I can get in the sticks"
Mail,DNS,News:

I've had it 2 going on three years....I still like it and it beats dialup.

I still have the DW 4000 and DID NOT upgrade when I was given the chance. Why fix what wasn't broken?Right?

DW now offers the 6000 and the newly 7000 system which I still have know interest.

Downloads continue to be the same and uploads are actually better then when I first bought the system.

The only way I'll dump DW is if Broadband, DSL, or WISP (which is coming) come to my area in the sticks.....:)

Comments:

Review by tjudge See Profile

• Location: Royse City,Rockwall,TX
Good "MAYBE I can sell the eqpt on eBAY"
Bad "Slow, erratic, uneducated, ignorance of DirectWay"
Overall "No where near worth the cost"
Mail,DNS,News:

I've been an Earthlink customer since before they were bought out by Sprint. ELN has always been, for us, a top notch ISP, with superior tech support and excellent value for the dollar . . .until we moved to the country where d/u is around 14k. But, even at 14k, if my company was not footing the bill, I would go back to d/u.

This service is no where near worth the cost in $'s (c. $79/m) and aggrivation. To start, you have to buy their eqpt and absorb an obnoxious installation fee (all together approaching $1,000). ELN is reselling DirectWay but services available via DirectWay (e.g., static IP) are not available at ELN Satelite. And no way will DirectWay assist you. For the first year I had to power cycle my modem at least once a day until I finally got ahold of a tech who knew about a file I needed from Hughes Communications which fixed this.

My emails sometimes will arrive or will be deilvered HOURS late (sometimes not until the next day). And ELN's goal is to prove to that it is not ELN's problem. ELN tech support has gone from top notch to failing 1st grade. Their incompetence is right down their with Symantec's. Their answer for everything is to install ELN's "Total Access 200x": DON'T DO IT! That will dog your logon process down to snail mail. And trying to uninstall it may require a reformat. I've tried three flavors of TA and the last time even Microsoft told me to just reformat to get it off of the computer.

I'm into the end of our contract and Wi-Fi canopy www has mercifully arrived! Oh! Wait a minute. Forget all of the bad stuff I said about ELN Satelite service. It's great, it's fast, and a really good deal! And I know where you can get another really good deal on eBay for their equipment!!!

Comments:

Review by wnxj687 See Profile

• Location: Winslow,Washington,AR
Good "way faster then dialup"
Bad "got to buy THEIR equipment"
Overall "$600 again"

I am with direcaway now and want to switch to earthling. I think I will get better service and support. Earthlink uses direcway's Sat. just redirects the signal to Tx. They will not let me use my direcway equipment. I will have to buy exactly what I have on the roof again. Of course I could just leave what is up there and give them $600...NOT Looking into seeing what legal actions I have reguarding this.

Comments:

Review by djohnm See Profile

• Location: Bland,Bland,VA
Good "Well, I get 20 hours dial-up"
Bad "Absolutely horrible customer service"
Overall "If you don't need the dial-up, go w/ DW"

(This is an update to an earlier ELNK review)

I've had ELNK for two years now. Thanks to this forum, I haven't had to use customer service or tech support, except to get a bad modem replaced. That took a helluva a lot to do, documenting over and over again the troubleshooting I had done (with a tech's assistance) to isolate the bad ITU. They insisted on not replacing it unless an installed signed off on it, but there are no more in the area. I can understand not wanting to ship out parts to every joker who wants to swap parts around, but this was a diagnosed failure. Finally got it; no problems for a year.

Then I decided to upgrade to a DW6000 modem, and could not believe the absolutely horrible customer service. I had the modem in my hands before they could verify that the order had been filled, let alone shipped. An order confirmation email I was to have received never showed up, and it took many, many hours just to get to someone who did not reply with a script and was actually able to help me. At one point, I was on hold, literally, for one hour listening to music before anyone even picked up! Outrageous.

I don't know how much better DW would be but, since it is their equipment, at least it would cut out one level of TS crap if you ever have to use it

(Look at my other review for Earthlink, inadvertantly posted to the wrong ISP, for a rather cursory review of the installation two years ago)

Comments:

Review by Beefncow See Profile

• Location: Riverview,Hillsborough,FL
Good "The good points are that im moving out of hell to go back to dsl and or cable."
Bad "Uploads is at best 10k , to dam high priced shuts off alot , they have to resend the software they dont tell you that"
Overall "I have had all forms of broadband, dsl,cable,and now sat....its ALL THE HORROR YOU HEARD RUN AWAY FAST!!!!!!!!!!"
Mail,DNS,News:

UPDATE READ IF YOU NEDD DIRECWAY!!! OMFG! life with out true broadband sucks. I have had notsodirecway hell on my roof for 5 months of hell. I had to use them I had no choice because the brighthouse and verizon thieves wanted me to cough between $ 92,000.00 -125,000.00 to run a cable or put a dslam out side of my property to get real broadband not the direcway lie. Well direcway was ok for about a month download was 800k when it worked and upload was 22k, but compared to dial up I thought it was better. That was as good as it would ever get with direcway. After the first month my dish shut off ( according to them it was uncle sams doing because of gov. uplink reg's laws) I called FCC and have never been gotten back to about that issue. After sitting on hold for about an hour with direcway I was told they needed to resend the software ( dw6000 modem ) they did after about ten minutes it was up and running. Three days later it went down again I called dehell again and was told that they needed to change me to a new transponder on their sat. I was told it would take an hour 5 later it was back on. I noticed it was s lower signal and a slower response right away. I called and was told it was because of weather. It wasnt, no rain, no clouds and no solar flares I found out later to affect that time frame. My direcwayhell keeps losing signal and speed daily I have called and complained and have gotten the same excuse (siganl is not repersentive of speed). It sure looks that way to me. Here's where I knew they were full of shit. I caled to complain about my modem being off for the 30th time in four months. they told me I should upgrade to business service and it will stop the problems it would cost me $40.00 more a month, but it was free for 30 trial. Well im on day day 21 and I have had to call 4 times to have software resent and dish reactivated after a 4 day down time because of so called upgrade. In 14 days I will have to pay the $400.00 early disconnect fee but its worth it to not pay $139.00 a month for slower than my 16k dial up at times. There is so much more but Im just hitting the higher points as it was.

I reposted it before but it some how didnt get on here . so here goes again.....I dont have earthlink direcway its swayzee broadband in florida and they were great at how fast they installed it.

I had Verizon dsl $49.99 for 768k/128.....if i wanted there new speed (1.5/384k) I had to pay $10.00 more, even with there so called "price reduction". I also had earthlink cable (roadrunner) at 2.0mb/384k up for $42.95. And now im using Direcway 600-800K down and 50k up as advertised. The cost is $99.00 amonth for 15 months and then $59.00 each month after the first 15 is up. Ok now the real stuff, I had dsl and cable at the same time to test for a software company. so I had the ability to run them side by side same apps, same test, etc. Dsl's speed did not jump as much as cable it stayed about 550k through almost two years of use. Earthlink cable was the bigger shock it took them two weeks to put it in (in a home that was already pre wired) I even offered to go and get the cable modem to speed it up. But they said it had to be installed by themselfs, even though im a liecensed electrition. I should have seen the light at the end of the tunnel right then, but earthlink cable's excuses were only starting. when it was installed the guy who installed it didnt know how to get it up and running I had to show him how to. HHmmm two weeks to still install it my self. After I got it running (Earthlinks techs had no clue what to do) I went to install the new Msn 8 that was bundled with it to speed my surfing pleasure (their saying not mine). Well after six days and to partition rewrites (Thanks Earthlink) their own disk had a problem I found! After that living hell I would speed test cable because it seemed to slow down alot even at 3 am . Well after many tests (237) I came to find out cable was all over the place, some times it was 250k some times it was 2.5 mb (I was not at end or trunk on cable , Only me and one other person on our trunk and she had same trouble) I called earthlink to explain what I found and I was told they had no trouble there. Then I noticed my copy of my bill was getting lost. they came three times to disconnect me becasue of so called no payment (every bill I have is auto pay from my bank and never once any not payed or late one) well after all this I desided enough was enough so I called to cancel the cable and they kept trying to keep me as a customer I said why did you never have this attitude before? hmmmmm well I cancelled and they still billed me for three more months.....wow huh . Ok Direcways turn first I must say i had direct tv years ago and was modestly pleased with service. I live in lightning alley in florida so was get fried and wet alot. but they bearly went out then, so when I moved to where I am now I called Brighthouse (roadrunner/time warner) and was told to run cable ten poles to you was gonna cost me $92,000.00+ I laughed so hard. Verizon was kinda same thing only more $123,000.00 for a D slam of my very own. So I called Directway and they told me I could get 600-800k down and 50k up for $99.00 installed and $99.00 for 15 months then $59.00 each month after that or if I wanted faster speed I could get 1.5 /128k for $89.00 I chose the $59.00 I figured why pay more for some thing that ive only really heard was marginal at best. Well I for one will tell you right up front I get 800k plus all the time and 75k up most times and ive ran some heavy tests to check speed. I have ran 83 tests so far and I would say compared to cable its much more consistant than cable. I read alot before I installed this to see what I could learn about Direcway, but I never once got the real story thats why im writing this long info in hopes to help anyone whos on fence about Direcway. The only reason my satellite has gone off is cause of uncle sam, Im in Mcdill's flight path and becasue of the 911 stuff if uncle sam cant ping my comp they shut my modem down. But its a two minute call to direcway to fix it. This is only my personal observations I hope it helps any one with any broadband choice. I personally like the Direcway compared to the dial up 16k modem that was here. Only a Cows }:o) opinion. I need to update One thing I called eartlink sat and they wanted $500.00 more to install my sat so i went with the rural provider.

member for 13.3 years, 238 visits, last login: 2.3 years ago