CommSpeed page on DSLReports

Review by applepiebb

• Location: Paulden,Yavapai,AZ
Good "local people try as best they can"
Bad "the equipment is not capable of providing good servive at the customer load"
Overall "not something i would recomend to any one"

Tried commspeed internet and their voip service.The commspeed internet
was good 50%
and poor 15% (a estimation) and the rest of the time non serviceable. They finally
admitted that the paulden tower was the problem along with overloaded
usage. all the time trying to use voip service in the nominal 3 months
of service only 4 days was the phone usable for a conversation.Response
time for good voice quality should be in 60 milli sec. range for good voice,
100 is getting poor but my response time was usually in the 300+ milli
sec. this make the voice very poor and non understandable with a lot of
echo. finally today jan 19
i returned all of their equipment to their office to stop the service.
and to top it all of i asked about getting a refund for the remainder of
the month, their response we require a 30 day cancellation notice. Too
bad i can't get credit for all the non usable phone service !
i have been i the communication business ( 2 way & microwave voice and
data)for 30 years i would have been out of business operating that way.
T Kraus

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Bart_Mann See Profile

• Location: Cornville,Yavapai,AZ
Good "Easy to dislike."
Bad "NEVER at the speed you pay for. EVER. Usually @ 30%."
Overall "Avoid."

Random disconnects. SLOW. Promises of faster speeds after "new equipment" is installed. STILL SLOW. Just "hang in there" until they get more "new equipment..." Now, billing is based on USAGE versus speed WITH NO WAY OF VERIFYING WHAT THEY SAY YOU'RE USING. So, they can bill you whatever THEY say you've used, and, given their past poor performance, just how accurate do you think that will be? (But I'll bet that new monthly billing makes it here pretty darned fast.)

Comments:

Review by pchy See Profile

• Location: Flagstaff,Coconino,AZ
Good "good service for the boonies. expanding company: 4G coming soon."
Bad "it's wireless... sometimes slow"
Overall "recommended over DSL if you're in rural AZ"

I've had the service for about a week. So far I like it a lot. Today was a cloudy rainy day and I seem to be experiencing a little slow down. I also moved my computer (closer to exterior wall though) and have full bars, but that could be a source of the issue. Will review again after a few months.

Comments:

Review by drsox See Profile

• Location: uk
Good "Decent for the area"
Bad "Occasional hiccups"
Overall "Worth trying, especially due to no minimum term contract!"

A family member signed up to Commspeed in Sedona about a year ago and here is our experience.

The installation of the service couldn't have been easier, literally took the Motorola "modem" out of the box and plugged it in. It took 3 or so tries with it in different locations to find the place in the house that gave the most bars of reception.

Overall it works great, I have even completed SIP (using uLAW uncompressed) VoIP calls for over an hour via it (to a server in the UK!).
The latency at the moment is 37 to 41ms to cnet.com and 187ms to London.
The speeds seem to be a steady 700ish kbps (as per our contract).

There have been a few glitches which get solved within an hour or so. Often the symptoms is DNS no longer responding, this means existing connections continue but new DNS / website lookups stop working.
If you then reboot the router you are no longer able to obtain an IP on the commspeed network either, so I guess their DHCP and DNS servers fall over and need to be kicked.
On the few occasions I have noticed this happen I have not bothered calling support and just waited for service to resume.

Comments:

Review by krynsab See Profile

• Location: Dewey,Yavapai,AZ
Good "It works, tech support is helpful"
Bad "Sometimes its slow"

I've had commspeed since 2001, they have always been helpful and worked with any problems that I have called them about. Tech support have spent over half an hour on the phone before now trying to fix problems. But recently I call after 8pm and the tech support have "gone home". What good is that?

24/7 tech support and their pricing are the 2 main reasons I have stayed this long. No isp can give you service without some problems arising sometime, but when it happens it should be fixed asap.

I think cutting the hours for the tech support is a bad idea!

Overall I would recommend them to others.

Comments:

Review by t82 See Profile

• Location: Humboldt,Yavapai,AZ
Good "do what they say"
Bad "company has had some problems lately"
Overall "best in the area"

I've been with commspeed for 5 years and, yes, I've had my gripes... but, now, realize I was a total noob. They were my very first highspeed ISP. They've had trouble lately with TMobile and frequency issues and I was complaining about them not knowing what was going on. Now that I know and, before knowing, signed with Bulleri, I'm no longer a noob. I didn't know just what good service I had until going to Bulleri. Oh, sure, very occassionally I would get the rare rude techie at commspeed.. usually on a Sunday.. but that does not compare to my very first call to tech support at Bulleri ON THE DAY I SIGNED UP YET... what an absolute creep the guy was. Also there is no comparison between the installers at the two companies. Over the years I've had people out from commspeed about 4 times after inital installation.. to replace modems and such.. pleasant, personable and helpful. The Bulleri guy barely spoke English and didn't know anything except just his narrow job.. don't know how to explain that but he was real stand offish. Commspeed guys were more like neighbors. I could go on but, all-in-all, little did I know that Commspeed, after this bad experience and really researching, is the best in this area... and ya know what... that's exactly why the other ISPs hate them so much and mess with them.. man have I learned more than I ever wanted to know. LOL

Comments:

Review by Freik See Profile

• Location: Prescott,Yavapai,AZ
Good "Easy install. Cheaper than DSL for advertised speed. No contract."
Bad "Mid-day network saturation, never hit advertised speed. Weather degrades performance."
Overall "Excellent alternative if the only other thing you can get is bottom-tier DSL."

At our place of business we only have two options, DSL or Commspeed, both at 1.5M/256k. Commspeed is actually a few dollars cheaper than the DSL would be after adding a static IP and the modem.

Install is a breeze, just plug in the modem and that's pretty much it. Another thing that's great is that there's no contract, so if cable ever becomes available, we can switch without getting penalized.

The speed is ok. During peak hours it'll usually drop down to about 1M, but at times during late afternoon or early morning we'll actually get faster than what we're paying for. I've seen our speed be almost 2M sometimes. Uploads don't seem to be as affected and remain at or above what we're paying for. Latency can get a little high at times, over 100ms when pinging servers ~100mi away. Weather also has an impact on quality, bringing the connection to a crawl during bad storms.

Overall, I'd say that we've had a pleasant experience with Commspeed, and I would recommend it to others in similar situations. Though if you can get anything faster, such as cable or a higher tier DSL, I'd definitely go with that instead.

Comments:

Review by fingersmcgee See Profile

• Location: Prescott Valley,Yavapai,AZ
Overall "CommSPEED employees"

Don't take your hate our on them. They have no control over the crappy service, it's all the higher up's!!! Just here for a paycheck!

Comments:

Review by Rippedsoul See Profile

• Location: Cedar Rapids,Linn,IA
Good "Your modem can travel with you within city limits."
Bad "Tower saturation. Speeds not as advertised. Tech Support is full of crap."
Overall "Dial up is alot cheaper and will give you less latency issues."

I usually only get between 80-200k between 5-11:30pm on weekdays (and about the same all weekends). They claim I'm in a void bubble. I call them on bullcrap. They need to update their equipment to support the amount of customers they have during peak internet usage times instead of spouting complete and utter crap and expecting people to believe it.

Comments:

Review by tannenba See Profile

• Location: Mayer,Yavapai,AZ
Good "No wiring"
Bad "Unreliable, tower saturated, not getting speed paid for"
Overall "If some other alternative were available here, we would go for it."

Paying for 1500 kbps downloads, getting at most 168 per speed tests.
Not reliable, and when kids are out of school bandwidth drops even more.
They keep selling the service without improving or updating or expanding their
infrastructure, and their attitude is "tough"