CommSpeed page on DSLReports

Review by applepiebb

• Location: Paulden,Yavapai,AZ
Good "local people try as best they can"
Bad "the equipment is not capable of providing good servive at the customer load"
Overall "not something i would recomend to any one"

Tried commspeed internet and their voip service.The commspeed internet
was good 50%
and poor 15% (a estimation) and the rest of the time non serviceable. They finally
admitted that the paulden tower was the problem along with overloaded
usage. all the time trying to use voip service in the nominal 3 months
of service only 4 days was the phone usable for a conversation.Response
time for good voice quality should be in 60 milli sec. range for good voice,
100 is getting poor but my response time was usually in the 300+ milli
sec. this make the voice very poor and non understandable with a lot of
echo. finally today jan 19
i returned all of their equipment to their office to stop the service.
and to top it all of i asked about getting a refund for the remainder of
the month, their response we require a 30 day cancellation notice. Too
bad i can't get credit for all the non usable phone service !
i have been i the communication business ( 2 way & microwave voice and
data)for 30 years i would have been out of business operating that way.
T Kraus

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Bart_Mann See Profile

• Location: Cornville,Yavapai,AZ
Good "Easy to dislike."
Bad "NEVER at the speed you pay for. EVER. Usually @ 30%."
Overall "Avoid."

Random disconnects. SLOW. Promises of faster speeds after "new equipment" is installed. STILL SLOW. Just "hang in there" until they get more "new equipment..." Now, billing is based on USAGE versus speed WITH NO WAY OF VERIFYING WHAT THEY SAY YOU'RE USING. So, they can bill you whatever THEY say you've used, and, given their past poor performance, just how accurate do you think that will be? (But I'll bet that new monthly billing makes it here pretty darned fast.)

• Location: Prescott,Yavapai,AZ
Good "Inside antenna, no wiring"
Bad "Unreliable, speed not as advertised."
Overall "If you have an alternative, use it."

Probably the most unprofessional Internet provider I have ever used. They provide continuous excuses as to why they cannot provide the bandwidth you pay for, down to speeds approaching 60Kbps, while your contracted speed is 1.5Mbps. This has been going on for a year! The company will shut off service at any time, without notice, for service maintenance.

(review was emailed from domain commspeed.net)

Comments:

Review by ashcan See Profile

• Location: Chino Valley,Yavapai,AZ
Good "For the most part Tech support tries to help"
Bad "Sevice never comes close to expectaton, Unreliable, Slow speeds"
Overall "If you can avoid this ISP do so"

Commspeed Chino Valley. Az

This is my first review of Commspeed and I wish I could make a favorable report.

I have subscribed to Commspeed as my ISP since June 2007. I purchase their premium service of 1.5Mbps (download).

Unfortunately, the service has never lived up to the advertised speeds. Using Commspeed’s own speed test (download.commspeed.net) I rarely see download speeds > 1.0 Mbps. Speed test typical results range from a high of 500kbps to a low of 80kbps.

The average speed degrades in late afternoon and through the evening to 139kbps. Up load speed rarely exceed 130kbps and pings are always triple digit.

Add to this the frequent equipment problems Commspeed seems prone to in the Chino Valley area they are an ISP of last resort.

I had the same service in CA provided by Sprint and it was flawless. Which I could say the same for Commspeed.net

Satellite internet through the only provider (Hughes) is too expensive, in all respects; up front equipment cost, monthly service charge and the mandatory 24 month contract., make this an undesirable option.

Comments:

Review by mkpruitt See Profile

• Location: Bagdad,Yavapai,AZ
Good "There are none"
Bad "Pick one"
Overall "Get a root canal before you get Commspeed"

This service is the biggest bunch of crap i have ever had to deal with. Internet goes out constantly. Tech support has been giving me the same line of crap, (sorry sir were getting ready to upgrade next week). This was 4 months ago. Why dont i switch service? Simple i have no goddamn choice. I live in Bagdad. So im just screwed, end of story. Crappiest company ever. Unbelievable.

Comments:

Review by codyh3 See Profile

• Location: Clarkdale,Yavapai,AZ
Good "You get a connection....sometimes..."
Bad "never reliable..tech help sucks... don't even bother calling..."
Overall "after 5 years i would love to rip the dish off the side of the house"

If anyone wants to sink so low that they have to buy Commspeed then be my guest.

You never get the speed you pay for. 40 dollars a month should get you excelent speed.

I am constantly disconnected from their towers and they never let you know when they are going to have "maintainance".

Online Gaming is impossible.

VoIP is a joke.

If you want something good get qwest. The only reason we haven't switched to it is because they don't offer it yet in our area. They say it should be here soon though and then we will be kissing Commspeed goodbye.

Comments:

Review by VerdeDude See Profile

• Location: Cottonwood,Yavapai,AZ
Good "Wireless, no phone line needed, fast connection"
Bad "sometimes slows to a stop."
Overall "good service most of the time"

In this area there are not too many choices for broadband. Commspeed is a pioneer in this area, their system is sometimes stretched to the limits with all the new users signing up all the time.(lots of new residents move here all the time) I used this service for nearly 5 years, most of the time I was happy with the connection, but sometimes the service drops, and it is aggravating, but commspeed has always been good about getting things back to order as soon as possible. I switched from dial-up to commspeed, so even a drop in speed was still better than dial-up speeds. I have had no problems with their tech support.

I used the 512/128 package, which is priced at $39.99 per month. Commspeed supplies the modem, power injector and transceiver antenna, Included. (no monthly rental) When the system is running good, I sometimes got better than my package download speeds, but, it is not consistent. Upload speeds seem to have always been a bit slow, occasionally hitting 128 or so. (system upgrades needed?) Overall, I feel the service is ok, But, I now use Qwest DSL.

See attached record of speed tests from commspeed.

Comments:

Review by lektrkbgaloo See Profile

• Location: Rimrock,Yavapai,AZ
Good "Free 40MB, No Data Trasfer Limit!!! web space"
Bad "Everything about the service is unacceptably bad."
Overall "Don't go with ConnSpeed now that Qwest is in town!"

I've had ConnSpeed's "high-speed" internet for 4 years now, since there has been no competition in the area until recently. I'll definitely be switching, it has been 4 years of hell.

Well, one good thing about them first, then I will start blasting away. 40MB free webspace with your account is decent, but what makes it good is that there is no data transfer limit. One of the few I've seen that have that, how long it will last though, who knows.

Not that it matters too much. Don't try hosting anything important with it, their hosted web sites go down almost as frequently as their web (connection) services.

Installation was ok, but the guy also installed some junk on my PC that he wasn't supposed to. I asked their tech support after I noticed a few new icons and what they were, they said they have had problems with installers putting programs on people's pc's that are supposed to help download speeds. They had fired a few for doing this already.

Upload and download speeds are never even close to what you are supposedly paying for. Supposed to be getting 384 down, but rarely get anything over 80. Upload speeds - don't even ask. You'd be better off with dialup.

Customer support - terrible. Their entire service was down for over a week recently. I called billing and asked for a refund, they said I would get something in the mail, and a refund. Nothing was ever sent to me. I called again and they said they aren't doing refunds.

Technical support - nonexistent most of the time. Good luck getting somebody to talk to. I have been put on hold for over an hour on a few occasions. You can page them, but of course they never call you back on those either. Their so-called techs, on the rare occasion you get one, contradict each other all the time. One told me to adjust some settings on my modem, I called a different time and the guy said to *NEVER* touch the modem settings!!!

They supposedly have a "system status" on the phones when you call, and also on their website. It's never current. You may get a brief message about a tower having problems, and "a tech is on the way to fix it!", but nothing helpful. They never give explanations as to why their service goes down (nor do they ever issue apologies), they never give you advance notice when they schedule downtime, they just suck the big one in every way possible.

There's probably more to blast them on, but I am about to fly into a rage just thinking about their craptacular service and support. I think I may hurt myself or someone unfortunate enough to be near me, so I will stop now.

Comments:

Review by knkayotte1 See Profile

• Location: Cottonwood,Yavapai,AZ
Good "Progressive technology for this area. Great possibilites."
Bad "Service somtimes drags or hangs. Speeds drop below advertised speeds. I think they don't have enough resources for peak times."
Overall "Okay service. Only real option in Verde Valley. Could be better. Sustained speeds sometimes vary wildly."

I wrote the first review of Commspeed a few years ago. I have since moved to Qwest DSL as my primary ISP. What a difference, downloads are much better and consistent, not like commspeed. I've had the two ISP's running side by side and downloaded from the same sites. DSL downloads 3x faster even though I'm signed up for the same download speeds.

Use commspeed as a last alternative. Especially if you want good stable pings and download speeds. Commspeed is like a rollercoaster ride. Forget about using VOIP with there service, works awful. Works great with DSL however.

Commspeed never met my expectations.

On a positive note I'd like to thank one of their techs for helping me with a few commspeed issues. Michael A. Shea has always served me well.

-------------------------------------------------

I got the residential service 384 down 128 up. I rarely get above 56up. My download speeds are as high as 600+. But, I've seen them drop to 150 at times. Somtimes the service is great with great download speeds. Then there are those times it seems slow and will seem to hang when you click on a url link. Not good for internet games.

On my scale of 1-10 I'd give them a 7.

Comments:

Review by stephen_smit See Profile

• Location: Cottonwood,Yavapai,AZ
Good "Fast downloads, when it operates how it should (Which is seldom)."
Bad "Frequent outages, poor customer service, and you never get the broadband your paying for."
Overall "Don't do it!"

Potential Commspeed subscribers,
Quite simply, commspeed does not come close to providing the bandwidth they
Guarantee. I am paying 39.99 for the 512 kbps, but this is almost never delivered. More
typical is 300 kbps with many more dips, some as low as you would get with a telephone
modem. The only time I get 500 or more kbps is during brief spikes. The service itself is
up and down more than the stock market. It goes down almost daily, and while it comes
back reasonably fast, it causes a great deal of irritation. The test shown below was done at
the commspeed web site just prior to my writing this evaluation. As you can see, I got a
download speed of 187.80 kbps, which is not even half the bandwidth I am paying for
(512 kbps).
CommSPEED Bandwidth Test Results

Your current bandwidth reading is:

187.80kbps

which means you can download up to 23.48 KB/sec. from our service.

28.8 kbps Dial-up
512 kbps CommSPEED
768 kbps DSL/Cable
1024 kbps CommSPEED
1500 kbps T1
As far as customer service, it takes threatening them with a complaint to the better
business bureau, to get them to respond. Commspeed said I was on the old mingus tower,
and they would upgrade me. They came out and gave me all new equipment, but all said
and done, my antenna is still pointing at mingus mountain. The service stabilized briefly,
but soon returned to the sporadic speeds, and down times.
While commspeed does not market the service to gamers, gamers beware! Ping or stall
times make online gaming with this service almost impossible.
Overall, if your going to be irritated, better to be paying 9.95 for it. Thumbs down!