Mesa Networks page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by daneelshof See Profile

• Location: Mead,Weld,CO
Good "Highest Speed Available in area, Competent installers"
Bad "Slightly overpriced for level of service, huge latency"
Overall "Decent connection, would recommend in rural areas"

We live in a rural town that only has a few options of high speed internet and when we moved in a couple of years ago Mesa Networks, now called Skybeam, was the only option. Our local cable company, which is a small independent outfit, offers 4 Mbps down and 256 Kbps up at $50 and the phone company's DSL has excessive usage fees for bandwidth usage above 10 Gb/month. This was our fastest and cheapest route, our package is their midrange level of service, 5 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up with a static IP address and 5 email accounts for $55/month. I'm not sure if this service is available anymore after the rebranding, as we were grandfathered in. Our house has wired ethernet installed and we had our own router, the installer handled the non-standard setup expertly and even setup our router correctly. The biggest problem is that the service is wireless, so the latency is pretty horrendous and a couple of times we have had connection slow downs when it was raining or snowing. Mesa Networks doesn't have any apparent bandwidth limits and we are really heavy users. All this said, I still think it is too expensive considering just miles from here the big nationwide cable company offers 12 Mbps down speeds for $60/month.

Comments:

Review by cwnorris See Profile

• Location: Longmont,Boulder,CO
Bad "Bad service"
Overall "Only if you have no other choice."

Skybeam came to town and bought up lots of WISPs around Colorado. Service is now terrible. I had connection problems, and their follow-up is terrible. They have no help system other than emails back and forth, and make little effort to inform you of progress on your issues. I would move to cable, which would save me money, but I would need to be pretty hard up to go there.

Anyway, I would no longer recommend this service.

This is my original review:

I use Mesa at home and work. Both places have had over 99% uptime over the last 6 months. At home, I have the 1000/500 package with 1 static IP for $58.00 a month, and generally average a little higher downloads. At work, we have the business package, and get downloads of up to 400KB/Sec. I don't do much gaming, so I can't attest to the latency. The install was on time and fast, using Motorola Canopy. I would highly recommend this service.

Comments:

Review by jreiter See Profile

• Location: Longmont,Boulder,CO
Good "They have gotten better with their tech support responsiveness"

They just put me on a new radio to alleviate some performance issues with oversubscription. Much better now.

7/31/08 - finally had it with the constant outages and speeds that had slowed down. Switched to Comcast business. Much cheaper and get 16 down /4 up now.

Comments:

Review by fritz75 See Profile

• Location: Fort Collins,Larimer,CO
Good "Was great for years"
Bad "Totally degraded in the last 6 months"
Overall "We're switching to another provider"

Mesa was *fabulous* for 4-5 years. We're in the fringe of DSL range and couldn't get DSL at all until 2-3 yrs ago, and then not reliable.

But in the last 6 months Mesa has totally cratered. For the last month our connection is down more than it's up. It's typical for it to drop out dozens of times an hour. Mesa came out and moved our dish (we have a narrow gap between trees) but they said our connection was "just fine" and "didn't drop at all." That's not what a PingPlotter history showed.

We finally gave up. Our other options are really bad, but not as bad as a completely unusable connection. Mesa has become unusable for us. (And we hear that we are not the only ones experiencing this.)

Comments:

Review by karve See Profile

• Location: Erie,Boulder,CO
Good "few issues for 4 years and when one cropped up recently fixed in a systematic manner"

I've been a client of mesanetworks since Feb-2004 - I never bothered with
their email side of things nor used the web-hosting, just the broadband
access.

Until recently, apart from an occasional, say once/year outage on a weekend
night I had no problems. When I started having difficulties this last month
- of slow speeds, and DNS resolution failures, they had a pretty clear cut
way of isolating the problem in the first instance - they looked at the
radio strength and session at their end and since it looked fine, then asked
me to connect their input directly into a desktop thus removing the router
from the path. This isolated the problem at my end and I did the necessary
things, on my own, to fix the issues with my wirelesslan. All conversations
with ther support was via email and they were promptly answered.

This solved the problem for 3 weeks.

Things got more difficult the last week -the problems returned on Friday
evening - I reached support very quickly and after a 2 minute restoratrion
of service after cycling the power to the radio, they determined that the
signal was cutting in and out - a service call was arranged for Mon. - the
engineer arrived, installed a "Stinger" - things were fine for 24 hours then
I had difficulties again - "timeout in reaching ANY website".

Reaching support was harder this time, a wait of 25 minutes but for this
more difficult problem - radio signal was fine, DNS resolution worked, pings
of of 32 byte lengths for mesa addresses worked, but not others, and larger
lengths of pings failed the engineer stayed with the problem, kept thinking
about the issue, switched me to another server which has solved the issue
from me - so far of coure.

All in all, pretty good service.

member for 6 years, 0 visits, last login: 6 years ago

Comments:

Review by raptor1418 See Profile

• Location: Denver,Adams,CO
Good "Was easy to have install date arranged and that is it."
Bad "Reliability of service and tech support. They do not maintain their own routers very well in the field."
Overall "Almost becoming the worst ISP I have ever had."

Update 6-18-2008

Discontinued service in November 2007 due to poor connectivity. Rumors I heard about the company indicated they were over subscribed on the their pipe. The source that told me of this was pretty reliable although I have no proof so I leave it just as rumor.

Update 8-14-2006

After 8 months I have not had a very good experience. They did a network change over and still have not really fixed things. I get constant network drops and inconsistent ping ratings. I see an average packet loss of 2% to 5% depending on the week. It is slowly starting to become a pattern of 2% one week than 5% the next than 3% and than back to 2%. I have checked my packet loss from my router to the tower so it is not a drop in the wireless. Last time I called tech support to have them verify I was not renegotiating between my antenna and the tower they told me that they have some bad equipment in the field. Well it is 4 weeks later and apparently they don't seem to care about fixing their problem. At this point I DO NOT recommend this service for anyone. I may have another update but I think I will be moving services to something a little more reliable.

Update 5-8-2006

I started receiving packet loss 2 months ago and created a web ticket. I ended up having to call to find out a status on the ticket as it just sat there with no response. When I called I found out no one was really looking into it. After I called they had an engineer update the ticket. He requested for me to ping and trace route specific routers between me and their main hub. I pinged everything he asked and never received a response back again. My connection cleared up about 2 weeks later but it would have been nice to know they considered it resolved. Especially since I am still seeing a dropped packet every 5 mins or so but that can be expected. Stories I heard for the tech I called said there was a bad antenna on the poll and the story I got from knowing someone who works on their systems stated they were doing a network change over and static routes were all screwed up because of it.

Now I am back to having serious packet loss (dropping 20 packets in a row every 5 to 15 mins) and I found out my ticket from before was still open. I am going to request a re-align and diagnostics of my antenna this time to make sure it is not the equipment on my house (which I don't think it is since the issue mysteriously cleared up once before).

So I have down graded this service to middle of the road and currently would not recommend this to anyone. All of this packet loss is starting to remind me of Earthlink DSL (covad lines). I really didn't want a land line for DSL but it looks like I am going to have to go that way now and I am sure not going to get Comcast Cable (Absolute worst cost for trying to get static IP's and have the ability to host servers. You could get a T-1 for the amount Comcast wants to accomplish what I have now.).

Update 1-13-2006

Have had the service for well over a month now and have had absolutely no problems with anything. This includes MMORPG games, VPN connections, downloading services, browsing, e-mail services and streaming services. I am very pleased with this service and would recommend this to anyone who asked me about it.

Original 12-7-2005

I have got to say the sales portion was great. I was moving to a new house and was able to setup an install date 2 weeks out for the day I got the keys. Service was up an running in about 1 hour from time the tech should up. I had to have the dish installed at my location due to some obstruction but service is working great.

I ordered the 2.5/1 connection with 5 static’s. Now the static’s are $10/month which I paid less for and got 5 useable IP's from my last ISP. Now what I mean by useable is that I received 8 IP's 3* went to router for various things which left me 5 to use on servers. With Mesa I was only left with 3 after router setup.

Best connection speed I have seen so far with Mesa is 2.4/1** which is about as close as I think I will get to my ordered connection. I have had no experience in latency even with the snow that had covered the antenna over the last couple of days.

In my opinion if you live in CO and can get wireless with Mesa it is better than Qwest as you don't have to purchase the phone line along with your DSL or pay the other taxes and fees and it is better than Comcast as you don't have to subscribe to cable or pay the extra fee for non cable subscriber or share your bandwidth with the rest of the area. Plus with Comcast you can't even get static’s without paying a fortune for a business account.

Best bandwidth and setup costs for the price.

* 3 were used. ISP used 1 for gateway, 1 for router and 1 for network

** rounded to closest whole number

member for 11.8 years, 1024 visits, last login: 217 days ago

Comments:

Review by Rodgerbruce See Profile

• Location: Johnstown,Weld,CO
Good "Speed service"
Overall "I pay for faster speed and ip address but you can get for much less"

Mesanetworks in johnstown colorado. Have had them for years service is
excellent and speed is great get 4 meg down and 2 meg up.

Comments:

Review by grahamsz See Profile

• Location: Erie,Boulder,CO
Good "Fast, knowledgable staff, not comcast"
Bad "Peering leaves a little to be desired"
Overall "A great deal"

The install went well for me, but the signal was a little weak so they replaced my antenna with a dish. I've had great performance through them.

I connect to 3 different VPNs, use VoIP, and upload a lot of stuff, and the 2.5Mb/1Mb service is great for that.

First hop ping times average about 32mS which is maybe marginally slower than cable.

Update 3/27/08 - This appears to have been resolved. I'm now averaging 7.7ms for my first hop which is better than comcast or dsl.

I haven't seen the packetloss issues that others have and Lingo (voip) runs great.

My only complaint is that when i connect to Comcast customers in boulder (15 miles away) my connection routes through dallas!

Update 3/27/08 - This appears to be more comcasts fault than mesa's. I average a round trip ping time to EarthNet in boulder of only 21.6mS, with very little jitter (4mS stddev).

The wireless connection is rock solid. The only problem i had was when the wind ripped the dish off my roof. They were out the next morning to reattach it.

I'm also upgrading my value for money. While- hey are more expensive per mbit than comcast or qwest - you get the added value of not having to deal with comcast or qwest.

Comments:

Review by SpinDry See Profile

• Location: Fort Collins,Larimer,CO
Good "The install was fast and simple."
Bad "The network is allways up and down speed and connection"
Overall "This is the worst internet i have ever had DSL is faster and more reliable"

I have no other options for internet even though DSL and Cable are across the street.

I have to say with the max bandwidth you can get is 3 Mbits. It makes no difference the ping is all over the board and you will never get a stable connection to get close to it. I would say there speed is rated for peaks only at times. It seems like i am on dial up. The upstream is just awful its a caped compressed steam that will take you for ever to upload anything no mater what speed you have. I dropped my speed down to the 512 up 1.5 down just cause thats the max i would ever see from time to time. The tech support states that they don't guarantee there speeds and that mine is fine i am only 1/2 mile from the tower so the signal is very good its just there service behind it.

Comments:

Review by v8envy See Profile

• Location: Broomfield,Broomfield,CO
Good "Fast install, advertised speeds"
Bad "Wildly varying latency"
Overall "Beats dialup hands down"

With Comcast not available in my brand new subdivision of $500,000+ homes and DSL being flaky I decided to give Mesa a try. So far so good.

Install happened on time with no surprises. Static IP, I'm about 1 mile from their tower so I get a nice reliable connection, about 7ms for the first hop.

Unfortunately the rest of their network is highly congested, and latencies to the last hop on their network vary from 30 to 200 ms. This is going to prohibit online gaming but at least I'll be able to work. I'll also see what it's like off-peak and during inclement weather.

Got the 500/200 package (I know, it's barely better than modem!) but I seem to be getting 80-90% of that with speed tests.