Mesa Networks page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by Hotinco4 See Profile

• Location: Frederick,Weld,CO
Good "Avalible to remote locations - Great Speed"
Bad "peering could use a little work"
Overall "Great service - Great Support - Mucher better then Comcast or Qwest"

I have had Mesa Networks 1.5/512k service for almost 2 years... I can count outages on 1 hand and most of those were scheduled for maintence. I have had not signle loss in Snow storms, Lighting Stroms or Rain. I use Sunrocket VOIP and the calls are clear and now problems

Suport for Mesa is quick and knowledgable....

I just wich they would expand to Boulder so I could have them at my Business.

Comments:

Review by bootleg3 See Profile

• Location: Longmont,Boulder,CO
Good "Fast install, fast line, good customer service!!!"
Bad "Can't use VOIP with them, I' ll stay happy until I need VOIP"
Overall "GET IT ASAP... can't be beat!!!"

Only 4 days from ordering to installation!!!

So far no problems, ordered 1mbps averages 970down/700up.

Customer support is quick and friendly too..

I have no doubt this is the best and fastest service in Longmont for this price.

Why wait when you can be up and running in less than a week? I waited over three months for a DSL install, then USwest postponed again...I canceled and promised them I would not get DSL from them no matter what the price.

UPDATED 1/5/2005

I had just visited here and read the Mesanetworks reviews; and what gwsii says in his review about dropped connetions is right on. I don't use VOIP, but would like to at some point and unless mesa can fix this problem of lost packets or whatever is it is, I will have to go with a provider who does not have this issue. What I see is like "gwsii" said, while browsing about 15-20% of the time nothing happens....it's like the request went into limbo. Reclicking the link usually fixes it, but I can see where a VOIP connection would be ruined by this. Mesa is a great provider otherwise; they are fast to call you back and help out/work with you to get things fixed (if they can) and I'll miss them if I have to change over to another company to use VOIP. One other thing I would like to warn about is if your a gamer, then you might want to look to getting cable instead. A friend I turned Mesa onto had to drop them after a few months because the ping times are too long with Mesa. I think it's not their fault, but just the way wireless is....it adds more delay and with a gamer that can mean life or death in the game your in. He said his ping times to the gaming server were in the 100-150ms range and when he got cable it went down to 25-35ms. I'm not a gamer, so I'll stick with Mesa and am very loyal to them, but VOIP is looking very attractive and it will be hard to keep justifying the $58 a month bill when I can't use VOIP with them.

Comments:

Review by gwsii See Profile

• Location: Longmont,Weld,CO
Good "Good throughput, static IP available, and first broadband provider in market."
Bad "Connection consistantly fair to poor, can't run VOIP, support mediocre at best."
Overall "Mesa Network's service doesn't clear the bar, but still charges full price."

After being stuck behind a dial-up connection for over two years (noisy line so only 22Kbps), I finally contacted Mesa Networks and arranged for them to provide broadband. Comacast and QWest DSL had still not entered my market. The installation went off without a hitch and I was soon enjoying the pleasures of a broadband connection.

Thrilled with my new connection, I researched VIOP providers and arranged for service through Vonage, transferring my Qwest phone number to them. The first few months after I installed the VOIP appliance, the connection performed adequately. I expected better performance because of the bandwidth capabilities claimed by Mesa Networks: 1.5Mbps down and 500Mbps up. The VOIP requirements are only a fraction of this.

Unfortunately, it all goes down hill from here. Over the next couple of months, the connection experienced frequent, albeit short, outages. For nominal network usage, such as web browsing, these breaks in connectivity are tolerable, usually just requiring you to resubmit a request for a webpage occasionally. But for VOIP, those breaks in connection wreak havoc on your conversation. So after months of “Hello? Hello? Are you there?” we have now back with Qwest.

Now, don’t get me wrong, Mesa Networks has tried to rectify the situation on multiple occasions. But they do not seem to really know or are unwilling to admit what the technical problem might be. And I have been basically told: “Well, we can’t fix it.”; with no offer of reconciliation for past, present or future charges. They seem completely content to charge me $60 a month for a connection that has dropped at least a dozen times in the time it has taken me to write this review.

So, here I find myself searching for another broadband provider and I stumble across broadbandreports.com here. I figured I’d let your gentle visitors that there is another side to Mesa Networks.

Here is a recent ping trace ...
Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=83ms TTL=45
Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=115ms TTL=46
Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=86ms TTL=46
Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=46
Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=79ms TTL=46

Comments:

Review by s_r_w See Profile

• Location: Fort Collins,Larimer,CO
Good "Great service. More clueful than cable or DSL."
Bad "Bandwidth per $ a little lower than cable/DSL if you can get those"
Overall "Excellent. Services like static IP and /29 subnets are worth it. Reliable."

I've had service in Fort Collins (Fossil Court East - just west of College and a block or so south of Harmony) for a couple months now. I've got the 1000/250 service - which includes a static IP for just $44/month.

I haven't had any problems. When the installer came, he noted the house was in a bit of a valley and wasn't 100% sure we could get service - plus we were the furthest away from the main antenna that he'd installed, although he did say he was new at the job.

Anyway, with an extra $50 install charge, we got a dish (just like a sat TV dish) instead of the regular antenna and he got us setup just fine. Speed tests indicate we're getting the full published bandwidth.

I intend to upgrade to the 1500/500 service soon, and get a /29 subnet (5 public IPs) because I have my own web/email server that's currently co-located in a previous employer's server room! I need to move that to my house, and the Mesa service definitely seems up to the task.

All in all, this is a very good service. Yes, the bandwidth for the price is a little less than Comcast (and possibly DSL?) but Mesa has a clue, and services like static IP and /29 subnets definitely make up for it.

BTW, the FAQ says the bandwidth limits are fairly flexible - they won't just charge you a ton of cash when you go over if you're pretty close. Their tech support say this too. I'm pretty sure I went a little over last month, since I downloaded a .tar file of the whole disk on my server (about 5G usage) plus a 4-CD set of Fedora Core Linux, plus regular Internet usage, plus some other smaller incremental backups and testing. I didn't hear anything from Mesa about this.

Only downside: Tech support is either a little swamped, or possibly assumes you're a regular clueless user, and doesn't always give the detailed technical answers you might want e.g. regarding low-level IP routing requirements entailed by getting a whole subnet of public IP addresses. Still, I got the info I required. As far as just using the service, you'll never need to contact support - it just works.

I'd love a more symmetrical high-bandwidth service for my server - e.g 1500/1000 or 1500/1500. Still, it probably doesn't need that much bandwidth! I'll see when I setup the server here

Also, I'm renting now, but want to buy. As of October 2004, Mesa's coverage map shows most of west Fort Collins as uncovered. Hope I can find a place in their coverage area when I move next year!

Comments:

Review by nnatraj See Profile

• Location: Lafayette,Boulder,CO
Good "Knowledgeable sales and quick installation. Speed as advertised for service."
Bad "None so far."
Overall "Great price for the bandwidth."

Due to screw-up between Qwest and Vonage the phone number on which my DSL was running was ported and I lost both telephone service and DSL service. Covad was my DSL provider and I called them with my new telephone number and they wanted me to sign a new 1 year contract (9 months in to my old contract) and I refused and asked them to disconnect service and found Mesa Networks through dslreports.com.

I called them on Monday, asked a few questions and ordered their 1M/1M business service and was told the installation tech will be at my house between 11:30 and 12:30 on Wednesday. The tech showed up on time, did a site survey and had to mount the antenna on my roof instead of on the side of the house like they normally do. It took about 1.5 hours to do the installation outside and run the cable to my study. The tech could not get service when he plugged in his iPAQ inside my house. After trying different things for some time he figured that his brand new crimper was the problem. He got the old one, re-did the crimping and the service was up. After configuring the router I was up and going. The speed tests indicate that I am getting 850K-1M/1-1.1M. I connected my Vonage Voice Terminal in to the Router and my VoIP is up and going too. It is now time to give Qwest the boot. So far I am a happy customer.

Comments:

Review by azunprinzess See Profile

• Location: Longmont,Weld,CO
Good "Reliable, fast, everything they promised!"
Bad "none"
Overall "Way better than Comcast! I had them last and they sucked! Now I am never dropped, I have high speed at a decent price."

Mesa Networks is the only competitor to Comcast out here in the tri-town (Frederick, CO). There are other wireless providers but unless you're Donald Trump, Comcast and Mesa Networks are the only providers. We don't need anyone else though, because I had Comcast and Mesa is far better in every aspect! I have the 1000/250 (see below) plan for $44/month. I am never dropped, the speed is what they promised, and it's worth the money. The tech that installed it was proficient at what he did and I love the service! They're a small company who doesn't seem to get their joys off of too many customers without the service. Hopefully they stay this way and don't jack up the prices and lower the service.

Update 2-28-2005: They raised the speeds, not the monthly payment awhile back, now it's 1500/500 and the speed test I just took was «1566 down

«474 up ,

Comments:

Review by tkdoty See Profile

• Location: Loveland,Larimer,CO
Good "Fast download, Weather has no effect, Consistant connection."
Bad "Latency is a little higher than cable."
Overall "Best value, very helpful local staff."

1000/500, $44.00 monthly package. Fast, painless install, Static IP!

I've had Mesa for a little over a month now and have tested and toyed with this connection every day. I've found that the download is very fast and reliable, but gaming isn't top notch.

Comcast charges $55.00/month before taxes for people that aren't subscribers, this $44.00 service has no taxes and has no hidden charges.

Overall there is nothing that you have to settle for with this connection, I was very surprized at how good it actually was, and I hear that they're making it faster soon!

Comments:

Review by bgeerdes See Profile

• Location: Broomfield,Broomfield,CO
Good "Great connection, local company"
Bad "Antennae had to be re-installed"
Overall "Happy"

After the first install I had occasionally (but annoying) dropped connections. Support staff was helpful and the diagnosis was quick (able to tell my antennae had 500+ open sessions, which I guess is very bad). They came out, moved the antennae to the other side of the house, everything has been fine since.

Comments:

Review by blmoore4 See Profile

• Location: Lafayette,Boulder,CO
Good "Very fast install, excellent communication"
Bad "None!"
Overall "Can't be beat!"

I've been using Mesa at work to backup my DS-3s in Longmont for a few years. Their service has been top notch since I signed up with them.

They set up a site near my home early in 2003, but I had previously signed a year contract with a competitor. When that ISP went dark on 1/15/04, I called Mesa, and I was up on their service in a matter of hours! I subscribed to the Standard Business plan at home for $125/month with a static IP, a /29 subnet, and 1.5 Mbps up and down. Even though they are twice the price as my previous ISP, I'm happy to pay it because I know that I will be taken care of if there are ever problems.

Comments:

Review by joey911 See Profile

• Location: Longmont,Boulder,CO
Good "Local Company. Wi-Fi! Fast install. Reliable. Good Support. Static IPs. No Port Blocking!!! No Cable or phone bill!"
Bad "Costs a bit more than Comcast for the same speed (if you can get Comcast)"
Overall "Get it! Don't get anything via Qwest. Think twice about Comast. Mesa is the best service."

I emailed Keith on Monday with questions and had service on Friday morning. 1meg down, 500meg up. Using DSLR's tools I'm getting 980 down and 450 up. 32ms ping to mesanetworks.com and qwest.com. 79ms via DSLR. I've had Speakeasy, MSN, Peak2Peak, Qwest, and a few others. This is the best service I've had to date. It's fast. It's error free. It has fairly low latency for wireless. There's a little antenna on my roof with cat5 to my own personal router. No muss, no fuss. I've talked to a lot of Mesa Networks customers and they are all very happy with the company. I had 2 tech support questions which I sent in via email and they were answered within **5** minutes. My only bad experience is that the gent who assigns static ips was out on vacation so I had to wait a bit for them. Not a big inconvience though. The cost was as advertised on www.mesanetworks.com ...$58/mo plus I'm paying for 5 static ips. If you don't have a router you can buy one from them. (Note the install price on the website assumes that you will buy your router from them. You don't have to if you have one and they will lower the install price.)

------------- Update Dec 2003 ----

I moved to NE Longmont and into a newly built home. I called Mesa and they were here the day after closing. Install went excellent and they had me (and my entire home network) up and running in just about an hour. I use Vonage (Voice over IP) for my home phone and as soon as I was up again with Mesa I plugged in my Vonage ATA and I had phone service (Qwest free!). Fast install, good service, good support... in my oppinion they are still the best service in the local area.