Prexar page on DSLReports

Review by tominbangor See Profile

• Location: Bangor,Penobscot,ME
  • CLEC party: Verizon
Good "nice people,helpful ordering"
Bad "verizon messed up the order-but the people at prexar fixed it within 2 hours"
Overall "good service-fast speed-"

i got the 2 meg service..get anywhere from 1.5 to 2 megs.fast 256k upload.static ip

member for 12.6 years, 31 visits, last login: 11.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by Nightskye See Profile

• Location: Brunswick,Cumberland,ME
  • CLEC party: Verizon
Good "Rock solid connection, usually around 95% rated speed, quick time-to-live, ISP called ME to ask me how things were going"
Bad "Mixed experience with tech support and install coordination"
Overall "Awesome once you're all set up, but they need to get their act together with install coordination and tech support"

Good points speak for themselves. The connection and speed are awesome. I have to point out I'm only about a half mile from the local CO though. Your experience may vary with longer distance.

Pre-sales info was great. They sell through local vendors and mine (Commnetwork.com in Brunswick, ME) was happy to take the time to answer all my questions and steer me away from all the additional options that I didn't need. You have to physically visit the local vendor to sign up and pick up your modem. No long-term contract, it's on a month to month basis. Very nice for trying it out.

I did a self-service install and just for chuckles checked every day to see if my line was connected yet. Lo and behold, 6 days later the lights on my modem went green.

Now here's where the strange install coordination and tech support comes in. I first contacted Prexar because I couldn't log in with my username. They fixed that and I was online. This was a Friday. Early the next week I get a call from Prexar telling me they're ready to set up my connection. Didn't we already do that? The woman seemed surprised.

In the middle of the week I get another call from Prexar telling me they're ready to set up my connection. Didn't we already do that, twice?? Again, the guy seemed surprised, but I took advantage of the call to set up my mailboxes and web space that had slipped my mind the first call.

At the end of the week I get a message on my answering machine from a tech asking me to call him back. So I call tech support and ask for the guy. He wasn't in, and the guy who answered didn't know what he wanted to talk with me about. I was having a problem with IE taking a long time to load, so I asked the guy who answered to help me with that. He steers me into Network Neighborhood to see what protocols are installed. Among other things, I have Client for Novell Netware installed for a remote connection to my work. He tells me to uninstall it. Didn't ask why I had it or anything. Just uninstall it. I tell him what it's for and we move on. The next one is PPPoE. "Oh, you have DSL?" he asks. DUH! Geez. So then he says he really couldn't help me, and tomorrow I should call the guy who originally called me. Good thing I know a thing a two about networking. This guy's "support" attempts could have really screwed up someone else's system.

OK, now here's the good part. The next day I call the tech who originally left me the message. He said he was just following up to see if I was satisfied with my service and if I had any problems! How often do we get THESE types of calls? He quickly cleared up my IE problem and all has been well for the past couple months.

So, when it comes to install coordination, they don't really seem to have their act together. Tech support was mixed, from the guy giving what could have been disastrous support, to the guy who called me just to find out how satisfied I was with the service.

Overall, a good, although somewhat schizophrenic, company. Can't beat the connection and speed, but they've got some internal coordination issues to work out. Be educated about dsl service.

Comments:

Review by brianusn See Profile

• Location: Lewiston,Androscoggin,ME
Good "So far, none."
Bad "Dissapointing Phone Customer Support, Slow Download Speed For What I'm Paying For, Irratic latency issues."
Overall "Phone Support Techs Need More Training, Dissapointing Connection Speed, so far not worth the money."

Phone customer support is the worst. They don't know anything about dsl. All they do is flag your name and redirect your information to a dsl rep who will get back to you when there not busy. I got a static IP and get very irregular speeds, I have to reset modem constantly because I only get a 560kbs download when im paying for a 2.0 meg download line. Upload speeds are good. If there was a different service I would jump on that, but until I find one I have to stick with this. Very upset.

Comments:

Review by MtHoreb See Profile

• Location: Lewiston,Androscoggin,ME
  • CLEC party: Verizon
Good "Solid connections, fast speed, good tech support group, provided equipment is name brand and reliable, so is provided software."
Bad "Prexar internal communication somewhat lacking, feels strange dealing with vendors instead of directly with ISP. No training."
Overall "Great DSL service, reliable connections, good tech support at a reasonable price."

I was a Prexar dial-up customer who converted up to DSL. The transition was smooth (although some business groups within Prexar still don't know that I've upgraded and continue to urge me to upgrade). There was no required length of term of service contract and the equipment is leased. My pc already had a nic card installed so my actual installation consisted of plugging cables in, installing Prexar provided software and waiting for Verizon to "convert my telephone lines". I have not taken advantage of the 4 additional email addresses yet (you get 5 with DSL service and I currently only needed one). The only problem I had tech support was able to resolve on the first call: my internet connection in Control Panel was set to automatically dial through the modem when the browser was launched. I haven't experience any service outages (been DSL for 2 months). The real soft spot in all of this is training and awareness. Being very new to DSL, I don't know anything about firewalls, attack protection and my options. I would love to see an on-line tutorial accompany the software dealing with the underlying technologies, the buzzwords and the recommended path for new DSL customers. With all that said, I'm very happy with my DSL service and think that Prexar is a good company to go with.