Michwave Technologies Inc. page on DSLReports

Review by jeff42 See Profile

• Location: Howard City,Montcalm,MI
Good "Quick install. Clean mounting job."
Bad "Roll the dice on the connection. It's nothing to be up and down ten times any given minute."
Overall "It beats smoke signals."

But I guess it's better than nothing. It's a shame I have to pay $50 a month to wonder if I'm going to have internet at any given time. It's also a shame that everytime I click a link I wonder "Wonder if it'll work THIS time...."

Good luck streaming any video or playing online games. When the kids run Netflix, they start their movie, pause it, then go play for a while. My connection has actually dropped three times while trying to write this review and the speedtest took FOUR times to attempt before it could complete. Thank goodness I've gotten into the habit of copying and pasting anything I try to submit online.

Installer told me the service could be spotty out in rural areas, but holy crap.

Not happy at all but it beats smoke signals.

Comments:

Review by Beazle3 See Profile

• Location: Greenville,Montcalm,MI
Good "Its Avaiable"
Bad "Pretty Much Everything"
Overall "Only use if nothing else is available."

I have been a customer of MichWave for a few months after my coverage was bought. Since then I have had a steady decline in connection stability and constant packet loss. I have had this connection for years with only a few problems under previous companies. With MichWave I have to wake up in the morning and hope my connection is having a good day to be able to do anything with it. In fact before writing this review it was down for a few minutes. Tech support has resulted in the answer "this is the best we can do, there is nothing wrong". Even tho I explained to them these problems did not start until they took over.

Just been told that as soon as my hardware breaks, they won't fix it and will just discontinue service.

8/16/12 Update.
Service still the same as it has been. Pretty much have to hope and pray its good every hour. New trend I have been noticing is that around 10pm my connection gets even worse and the seed will drop to a quarter of what it should be. They are also still going back on forth on whether my equipment will be upgraded or if they will just shut it down if it breaks for good.

11/19/12 Update

Service continues to be horrible, with completely random data loss resulting in lag spikes for online game. Still no news on upgrading my hardware and they just give me the run around if I call. I was lucky enough to get a letter saying that my monthly fee would be going up about $5 even though I have horrible equipment that does not even get 1/3 the speed they advertise for my price tier.
So all in all a terrible company and I hope to move to another house within the coming year.

1/15/13 Update

Service remains inconsistent. One day it will be fine(as good as it can be) the next day it is constantly going down for 5 second intervals or has such high packet it loss it might as be down. I don't bother to call on these days because I long since got tired of BS promises and lies on their part of fixes or upgrades.

Comments:

Former Custo

@spcsdns.net

too expensive to be talked 'down' too.

I have had experience with Michwave ..and quit because they seemed to enjoy "talking down" to me whenever I had an issue or a problem. Seems they thought they had a local 'monopoly' in my area because there 'was' no other internet provider at my rural residence. But, I finally got Virgin Mobile Internet-to-Go and they are as fast as Michwave ever was ..at about 1/2 the cost.

So ...good-bye Michwave. It was not fun being your customer. But what do you care anyway? Obviously you are more concerned with profits than you were with good customer service.
jondl1

join:2004-07-28
Grand Rapids, MI

Re: too expensive to be talked 'down' too.

Unfortunately we have had some employee turnover in the last couple years. Not all of them were perfect.
Also we've done some acquisitions in the last couple years and have had to deal with some very old and slow equipment from who-ever previously deployed the equipment. So unless the customer has upgraded since, there are many different factors which affect your speed including what tower you are off of, what equipment you have, and distance from the tower...to name a few.
jondl1

join:2004-07-28
Grand Rapids, MI

Regarding Beazle3 review

The Greenville network (among other rural areas) was inherited in an acquisition. Unfortunately some problems like heavy tree foliage are out of our control (in that instance). In an effort to get some reasonable speed to everyone, we upgraded the broadband equipment from 10 year old and problematic to the next generation. The faster equipment does require higher signal levels, so customers farther out may not have noticed an improvement. These kind of technical details are not typically relayed to customers considering many barely know where their wireless/wifi router is in their house. There were 1-2 customers in Greenville that were upgraded, but were sooo distant from the tower, they did not meet the minimum signal requirements. We relayed this situation with the customer and offered them the option to leave at any time if the service was unreliable. We also offered them the option to build a tower to get over the trees to solve this issue.
If only our customers knew the amount of effort that goes into getting high speed internet to rural areas, they would be much more understanding.

kggsr

@myvzw.com

wow poor customer service skills

Having trouble getting a technician to come do a Survey it has been over a week and a half if they would show up I want it started immediately but will not wait forever I wouldn't have a very long wait to get exede

kggsr