Compton Communications page on DSLReports

• Location: Canada
Good "TV services"
Bad "Internet services"
Overall "Unacceptable"

I subscribe to almost all channels and the best Internet package offered. For several years I could not have said anything bad about the Company or services provided. However, a number of months ago the reduced bandwidth at demand periods became evident as it was no longer possible to watch Netflix or Apple TV movies due to download bandwidth in the 1 to 2 Mbps range. In non-peak periods the speed approached the advertised speed of 15 Mbps; the upload speed is never affected and remains at the full advertised rate of 1.25 Mbps or even higher thanks to compression.

I have called and written many times over the past several weeks and the answer is that it is being looked at and being escalated to the manager of technical support or services. The service continues to deteriorate in that the periods when there is unusable bandwidth are become longer and times when the bandwidth is acceptable are shorter.

Regrettably, there is no alternative for the speeds advertised by Compton as DSL is slow compared to the top speed of Compton, but it is probably preferable if it is consistent in providing at least a service that will allow the streaming services that used to work with Compton.

Whether or not it is a coincidence that the drop in services started to appear sometime after Rogers purchased Compton Communications is unknown, but the timing suggests a connection. Compton was a respected private family business; always sad to see the entrepreneur get swallowed by the less-caring big guys. All they do is reduce the competition so prices can be raised without delivering any better value.

Sad.

member for 10.4 years, 198 visits, last login: 1.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by vward See Profile

• Location: Uxbridge,ON
Good "Service never seems to go down. Lightning quick response to any problems."
Overall "The Best!"

I have nothing but good things to say about Compton. The service never seems to go down, the response to any problems is lightning quick and I have never had reason to complain about anything. Now they have telephone service at $19.99 a month saving me $70 on Bell!

Comments:

Review by cewinwp See Profile

• Location: l9l
Good "consistent connection speeds, only slight drop during peak hours"
Overall "overall very good"

Installed over 2 years ago and am very happy with Internet service, much better that previous cable company (Rogers) in Toronto.
Download speed 7500 kbps at base price of $47.50, but can drop to $42.50 or $35.00 if bundled with various cable TV packages.

Comments:

Review by jhaygood86 See Profile

• Location: Port Perry,ON
Good "Good Customer Service, Fast network, Plenty of Features"
Bad "Slow connectivity to the States, No digital phone service"
Overall "Excellent Service"

My fiance and I decided to get an apartment together in Port Perry, and once we found one, I knew I only wanted cable due to the many benefits it has over satellite and DSL from my own past experience in Metro Atlanta.

Since I was going to be working from home, I needed fast speed, and Compton's Powergate service provided a 10000/768 tier for a cheap price when bundled with digital cable service. However, speeds to the Internet are normally half that to canadian websites and a quarter of that for american websites, but this is supposedely going to get fixed later this year. The speed on the Powergate network is the promised speeds however!

UPDATE: Speeds are still dirt slow. Average download speed is 50 - 150 Kbps, when it should be closer to 1000 Kbps. My mom's 3.0 Mbps connection on AT&T FastAccess DSL has faster downloads. Kinda sad... I might consider downgrading my package to a slower speed, since you can't tell the speed difference anyway.

The Internet setup was a breeze, and worked almost immediately. The installer was friendly, and knowledgeable, and had everything set up almost instantly.

Compton provided a DCT 700 digital cable reciever, and a Motorola Surfboard cable modem, and we later acquired a DCT 3416 HD DVR digital cable reciever, all digital equipment with no analog tuners, which is quite excellent.

Everyone is nice and friendly, and the employees and staff was very helpful with getting us setup.

Thank You Compton!

Comments:

Review by RWAbacus See Profile

• Location: Uxbridge,ON
Good "competent, helpful & professional installation"
Bad "speed is approximately the same as sympatico HSE, but highly variable"
Overall "This is a preliminary review - will update as required"

This is a very early review of Compton's "Powergate Residential" service which was newly installed this afternoon.

The installation was first-rate; during a previous visit to install a PVR, the techs tested the cable line to be used for the Internet and ruled that it had to be changed. I offered to run the wire as it was a relatively complicated procedure to get the wire up two stories and through and around all sorts of other obstacles. They left me with just enough wire to run not only this data line to the cable modem, but also a sister line to my All-In-Wonder video card that is adjacent to the modem. This made the actual installation, I think from their perspective, considerably faster.

I used three speed tests (two of them in front of the two techs); they were www.speakeasy.net/speedtest (and took the average of three of the nearest locations), www.ilcs.net/content/speed/speedtest50.asp, and finally, »bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/results.php.

I have had Sympatico HSE for many years (but had too much trouble with email server issues); the 'bundling' price of digital cable with Internet is the principal reason I switched.

What have I noticed?: 1) speed really varies. Just a few minutes ago I got the following speeds: from speakeasy: 1497 kbps download & 631 kbps upload; from ilcs: 212.3 kbps download & 26 kbps upload (ugh!); and from bandwidthplace: 1200 kbps download & NO upload speed was tested. 2) initial page loads _usually_ seem to be somewhat faster than Sympatico. 3) initial cable startup is at least twice as fast as Sympatico ( I don't leave the modem on continually).

So ... the results are, literally, all over the map. This is, of course, to be expected. It's a busy time (8PM), but sympatico never had these tremendous variations over the same servers - it was typically 1500 kbps all of the time.

It's interesting that the speed this afternoon was faster, sometimes, almost FOUR times the fastest speed listed above - and close to Compton's "up to" maximum speed for 'residential Powergate.'

As I said at the outset, this is a very preliminary report.

Comments:

Review by scorpion674 See Profile

• Location: Port Perry,ON
Good "high transfer speeds, above normal"
Bad "no negative points in my opinion"
Overall "prompt, friendly service,tech support fast connection"

I have to say that my experience with Compton has been very good, In fact it's been the best experience I've ever had with an ISP.I recently upgraded to the PowerGATE Plus plan and had a connection problem which ended up being a registry error that I had made trying to tweak my settings.When I called to get some tech support The response was quite fast.These guy's didn't waste any time getting to bottom of the matter. When all was done I ended up with a newer modem and connection speeds
faster than advertised. In fact my speed test came back with thse results,
2004-04-28 10:46:10 EST: 7702 / 787
Your download speed : 7887835 bps, or 7702 kbps.
A 962.8 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 806668 bps, or 787 kbps.
They advertise speeds (up to) 6000 down, 800 up.
Bottom line in my opinion is, The customer service is excellent, and the internet service is excellent.I would recommend this company to anyone. »www.compton.net/powergate.html
A link to the FAQ page
»www.compton.net/powergate/faq.html#network

Comments:

Good "Decent transfer speeds"
Bad "Low transfer caps"
Overall "So-so service, consider other options"

Decent transfer speeds although not as high as advertised. Technical support somewhat useful. Low transfer caps - got cut off newserver because of undisclosed newserver download limit. Newserver on/off service. E-mail slow at times. Website was deleted by ISP, no explaination. Haven't been able to get website up since. Not worth what you're paying for. Currently looking for another service.

(review was emailed from domain powergate.ca)

Comments:

Review by Yoda2009 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (month by month)
Good "It worked."
Bad "Much slower than advertised. Low bandwidth caps."
Overall "Stay away from PowerGate. Get Sympatico instead."

I ordered PowerGate a few years back and recently I have switched to Sympatico. The install process was lengthy as it took the technician several days to finally come to my house. The modem they gave me ended up overheating and had to get replaced. The download and upload speeds are about 1/3 of whats advertised. The download/upload caps are quite low. Overall this was a bad experience. I switched to Sympatico with unlimited caps and steady speed and I've never looked back.