No Name Stored page on DSLReports

Review by AdamBubble See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Oakland,MI

We have had DSL service from LBDSL for a few years now, and it has been great. No outages to report. Any time we have had to call them, we get a real human right away on the phone, no phone automated system, which is a big plus.

Comments:

Review by norman4 See Profile

• Location: Grosse Pointe,Wayne,MI
Good "Good, reliable, solid T1 connection, low latency"
Bad "If you're looking for warm and fuzzy, look elsewhere; install sloooww"
Overall "they do their job so I can do mine"

I'm a telecommuting attorney; office in Chicago, I live & mostly work in Michigan. After suffering for years under comcast as a provider - extraordinary latency issues, lost connections, you name it, and always at the worst possible time (mid- afternoon to early evenings particularly bad- my heaviest work hours)... Eventually it went bad at the right time for my firm to believe I need real connectivity. Imaging trying to have a conference call ... but your VIOP is suffering under bad latency and packet loss- and finally losing it halfway through- it was time to get real connectivity when the managing partner got cut off mid-sentence

So I looked around for a T1 provider, got a local MI company- LB DSL (covad reseller), and it's been mostly good.

It took a long time till install, over 2 months, and they said that this did not qualify for refunded time (they promise 45) because it was the telco's fault, not theirs- equipment needed replacement, apparently.

I had a period of lost packets and connectivity, and little sympathy from LB. They wouldn't accept DSLR smokepings as proof of service issues and they did not/would not actively monitor the line. I had to call if/when it sporadically died- if THEY could ping me at that very instant, it must all be OK, so call-us-when-it-dies. It wasn't OK. This went on for like a month. Like I said, not warm and fuzzy. Mostly worked, occasionally lost connectivity, and had to use a backup connection (home comcast acct). But- when it finally died for real, the trucks rolled right out- a very welcome change from comcast. I was back up in less than 8 hours after the telco replaced some lines and/or switches. Smooth ever since as long as we pay. A commercial connection for a commercial price.

Going to look into UVerse as an alternative... but till then, I get the speed I pay for (1.5 up AND down) and 50-100 ms latencies- plenty good for what I do.

member for 8.9 years, 103 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jofallon See Profile

• Location: Oak Park,Cook,IL
Good "Excellent speed and reliability; at least at first."
Bad "Tech support maybe assumes too much in the way of knowledge. Not very interested in diagnosing line problems."
Overall "got Comcast"

My line needs to be in safe mode to be stable. A week or so ago, it went into fast mode. LB put it back in safe mode, but since then the line has been disconnecting and reconnecting every hour or two.

A final note - the connection got totally unstable; disconnects 10-12 times a day. It always reconnected at the usual speed, and oddly, the router log never showed any error messages. LB said a problem with the inside line; which worked fine with the phone and with Speakeasy before, and had nothing else on it. Rather than muck with LB, Covad and ATT, I just got the Comcast package. More expensive, but enormously faster and more reliable. We have lots of old copper in Oak Park, and I'm not interested in persuading ATT to test all the lines between me and the CO.

Comments:

Review by firepoet See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Looks cheap on paper"
Bad "BEWARE!! Terms of Service include huge cancellation fees"
Overall "Don't cancel your order or you're out $400"

I ordered DSL service through lightning bolt, but when I got my first appointment it was for an entire day window. Evidently Covad doesn't like its customers that much. So, I couldn't be home due to work issues, and had to cancel my order.

Received an invoice today for $400. Guess I didn't read the fine print.

I will never recommend these guys. And, to avoid screwing with my credit rating, I guess I have to pay them some cash.

Comments:

Review by KSC5190 See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Stable, reliable connection"
Bad "A few connection glitches, line unable to support desired speed."
Overall "Good company to work with. Understands the needs of a small business"

I currently have 2 6.0m/768k ADSL connections through Lightning Bolt. Each with an 8-address ip subnet each line is 109.95 per month
The first was installed in October 2007, and the second was added in October 2008. Initially, I had a few issues with the connection dropping randomly, but tech support was able to correct that in short order. I never have any issue reaching someone via phone or email (no matter what day or time I call). There was a slight problem during the installation of the second line, creating a 24-hour delay in my service going live, but this was due to a mistake by the Covad installer not properly plugging in a cable in the phone closet, not due to any mistake by the LBDSL team. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the service

Modems are both Netopia 2247

member for 12.7 years, 1156 visits, last login: 4.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by Markypu See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Arlington,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Always able to contact Brent quickly."
Bad "Inconsistent connection as of late."
Overall "The fios package deals are starting to look tempting."

Started having some consistency issues about a year and a half ago. Sometimes when I'd try to open the browser I'd get a web page unavailable message. It started happening more and more and I ended up getting a new modem from Lightning Bolt. That worked fine for about six months but the last couple months when I try to open the web browser or click on a link within the browser, sometimes (now several times a day) it reroutes me to the url of the web browser itself and won't allow access to the internet. I've called Brent about it but he said that he needs for the problem to be occuring when I call him otherwise he can't troubleshoot it (this is logical and I don't have a complaint about this). But this is also our second consistency issue within the past 12 months. And these Verizon Fios bundle deals we keep getting in the mail will save us over $1000 a year ... they're starting to look really tempting ...

Comments:

Review by Leicafl See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "I'M GONE!"
Bad "Awful Service!!!"
Overall "Will never look back!!!!!"

8/23/08: I needed help in re-establishing service after all my DSL went dead - ZERO!!! Forgot how to get on-line through Dial-up - needed guidance on how to do so - ZERO!!! Refused to coach me through the Dial-up procedure so that I could retrieve email communication...even though a tutorial is provided for through PDF at the LBDSL website (but not accessible to me). Only got holier-than-thou high-brow toned geek-speak excuses about how it was impossible to help me get back on-line. It was suggested to me that I buy a new modem from Lightning Bolt, although my existing modem wasn't yet proved to be faulty (albeit in service for about 3 years). I requested a brief trouble-shoot review of my computer connection/configuration settings, but was told that that would be impossible also. Admittedly, I was extremely pissed off after a totally sh-t day, and became even more-so at having to deal with this unhelpful recalcitrant snob. It was all-too-obvious that B---t was intent on exercising absolutely ZERO initiative into providing any problem resolution - ever-so-slick in his resolve to avoid cooperation. Somewhere in the discourse of my frustratingly futile plea to be helped, I was told that "that's the way the world works". In the past, I received mostly good service, albeit insensitively/unduly techno-geeky and out of my lay-brain's reach. Too often I had to bite my tongue while frustratingly trying to lead the Lightning Bolt god out of the Land of Techno-Denial and back onto the river of Help Thy Client. Always hesitated before calling with a problem because all-too-often it felt like squeezing blood from a turnip (frustration & aggravation...life's too short and I'm damned busy!). Mostly good service until something goes wrong (and it will eventually for others IMO). I really tried to tolerate the problems when they occurred and the poor customer handling, but no more...I'm finally out, and it feels good! "That's the way the world works!" CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!!!

Comments:

Review by adsl2rocks See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "great personal service"
Bad "none"
Overall "highly recomended"

fast service. Great customer service and support! Speed is as advertised as is the price, no hidden fees or taxes

Comments:

Review by lght See Profile

• Location: Costa Mesa,Orange,CA
Good "None"
Bad "Customer service is horrible!!"
Overall "WORSE ISP ON EARTH! DON'T BOTHER OR YOU WILL REGRET IT!"

Signed up for service several months back and outside of the initial sales call everything has been a nightmare! Brent confirmed and promised speeds of up to 6mb down and 3mb up on their top plan. He did the pre qualification test and new the distance from the CO and said worse possible speed would be 4mb down and 1.5mb up. I signed the contract and the problems started soon after. I received the promise date and had a question on something so decided to send an e-mail from my blackberry for an answer. Well "The answer can be found online in our FAQ section" is what I got back from Tech support. The tech took the time to tell me where to find the answer, but wasn't willing to just answer the question. I guess they don't realize that sometimes people use blackberries to ask questions and just want a answer. I had to send 3 more e-mails to finally got an answer out of the rude minimum wage tech.

The second questions via e-mail was to ask them to contact Covad the local service provider and ask them to call me before arriving at my home to setup my line. The tech didn't even bother to see if it was possible before he insisted that the installer wouldn't call me or contact me and wrote back "Again, I have already answered that question for you: The phone techs are not able to call ahead for access, Access MUST be provided upon arrival of the Phone Tech, per their rules, We have no control over how they operate. The Tech will NOT call anyone if there is no access, they will simply report no access, and we would have to re-dispatch them out another day and you will be charged $225.00!!"

Oddly enough I called Covad directly gave them my account info and they said "Not a problem' we understand that people have to work during the week and shouldn't have to wait 6 hours for a tech" in fact here is the cell phone number for your tech and here is his name. The Covad tech called me 30 min prior and was more than happy to accommodate my request. Again another lazy minimum wage tech that could care less about the customer because they already got your money and your under a year contract.

The problems just keep getting worse. I used the online form to send a message about how to pay for my bill online and how much I owe. I got a reply saying I shouldn't use the online help form and instead that I should be sending the e-mail to the billing department. Instead of the useless person just forwarding my request on to the right person they just blew me off. I send the same request to the billing dept and get a reply back showing my balance along with yet another smug remark "As I have pointed out previously" you need to access the online billing link. Apparently an e-mail was sent, but was caught in my spam filter. So I click on the link and it takes me back to the sign up page, but the page doesn't work! 2 hours and 4 e-mails later and I still can't just pay for my bill!! I have a international flight to catch and need to leave fairly soon so I reply back VERY frustrated at this point and typed in the word smart ass to express my frustration. Instead of getting a call from Brent offering to resolve the issue I get a call saying from him saying I have violated the TOS and that my account can be suspended!! Am I missing something here? You have an obvious upset and flustered customer and instead of attending to that customers needs you call him and threaten to suspend his account because he used the term smart-ass? Now I can see why the customer service reps are so cocky, arrogant, and such smart asses to begin with. This guy is suppose to be an owner and he is just a fast talking scam artist that could care less about it's customers and just wants to show the world he's a big boy by making threats. I guess that's how you act when your the owner of a company and your also the janitor. I guess they haven't learned the concept of customer service and haven't realized that customer just want to be helped and just want a quick answer. It doesn't matter if the answer is in a FAQ online or not. If a customer is asking for help just help them! What's the big deal?

On to the next problem. My install didn't work the first time and they had to do more "testing". Well after a week and more "testing" they had to send out another tech to try and fix the problem. This is now going on 2 weeks. The tech couldn't get the line working so more "testing" had to be done. Well after the 3 visit and 3 weeks later the DSL was finally on however the line wouldn't stay connected. I wanted to cancel, but because it had already been 3 weeks I couldn't cancel without paying the $500 early termination fee so I'm stuck with these losers. After several calls and complaints they finally admitted that my line couldn't support the 6mb / 3mb line I had been paying for and said they would have to bump my speed down to 3mb / 768!! They said I could change my plan, but I would have to pay the early termination fee and sign up for the lower plan that also cost $99.95!! Basically they will promise you whatever they need to in order to get the sell and once your sold they screw you every chance they get!

The problems continue as I received a $10.00 late fee for October service on Sept 30th! These con artists actually charge you a late fee for service you have NEVER received! I complained and Brent wrote back saying I can do whatever I want and I'm not going to remove the late fee. Ironically that Monday my service was cut off and when I called to find out why Brent said it will take a few days, but they will get back to me. 1 week later my service finally came back on!! So I called billing and asked for a credit for the week of service that my line was down and the rude billing rep said we don't give refunds sorry. Completely upset I filled a BBB complaint about the company and realized they already had several complaints against them! Not surprised they still refused to work with me so my complaint is now in arbitration.

IF YOU ARE READING THIS AND HAVE NOT SIGNED UP WITH LBDSL YET DON'T DO IT YOU WILL REGRET IT!!! I PROMISE YOU!!!

Comments:

Review by bradleyjay See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
Bad "Terrible customer service, unprofessional"
Overall "Seems to be hit or miss...if you get lucky and everything works, great, but it didn't for me."

Where to begin...

I purchased dry-line residential ADSL service. This requires a new copper pair to be run to my house. After being assured that the technician would only need access to the NID outside my house and not the interior, I was surprised to find that the technician needed access to the interior. Luckily, the technician happened to still be there when my wife returned home, so the appointment didn't have to be rescheduled. He installed the new circuit without any problems.

The next appointment was for the Covad tech to "professionally install" the DSL modem. This consisted of him plugging the modem into power and the new DSL line. He was supposed to test connectivity with my modem, but he was unable to because he didn't have my PPPOE login information. So he configured my modem, and then tested connectivity using his own modem, and his own PPPOE login information. He then gave my wife some hand written instructions for me to enter the PPPOE info in to the modem. Quite professional.

This all would have been fine, except for the fact that the modem was defective. It will not maintain a connection for more than an hour or so, and intermittently refuses to serve DHCP addresses on the LAN side. Also, it intermittently refuses to serve up its web interface, so no configuration changes can be made. Also, rebooting the modem causes it to lose it's PPPOE info, so that has to be re-entered on every reboot, if you're lucky enough to be able to get the web interface.

OK, fair enough. I can understand that the modem is defective, so I called Lightning Bolt to ask for a new modem. Brent refused to send me a new modem on the grounds that it may be trouble with the line itself. He had me perform some tests like unplugging my computer from the modem. For some reason, even with my computer turned off, there was still traffic thru the modem according to Brent. He still had doubts that this could be caused by the modem, and insisted that it could be trouble in the line. I may be naive, but I don't know how the line itself could cause traffic to flow. I guess Brent can answer that one.

Against my better judgement, I agreed to yet another appointment for another smelly Covad technician to come to my house to troubleshoot and if necessary provide a new modem. Brent would not simply send me a new modem.

Then, I get a bill in the mail for a lot more than I was expecting to see. Brent started billing me on the date that my service was activated, regardless of the fact that I have not been able to use it. I politely asked Brent to prorate the charge, since I have not been able to use the service.

Brent insists that my service does not come with an SLA, and I in turn am SOL as far as credit. I explained to him that I wasn't looking for a free ride, just a little credit as a show of good faith and understanding that I have a service that's basically unusable.

Brent refused to offer any assistance, so I exercised my 21 day cancellation right.

Another thing to note is that this appears to be a one-man operation. Every phone conversation I've had has either been Brent calling me, or Brent answering when i call. early in the morning, afternoon, or 10:00 at night, the only person I've ever spoken to at Lightning Bolt is Brent. Emails also either are signed by Brent, or someone else with a conspicuously similar writing style as Brent, and regardless of weather the email comes from Brent or "Heather" or "Frank" they are sent from the same workstation.

While there's nothing really wrong with a one-man operation as it should be less overhead that's passed on to customers, you have to remember that if Brent doesn't give you the answer you're looking for, there's no recourse. There is no supervisor, or manager. You cannot speak to the owner because you already have, and he isn't listening.

So, if Brent would rather lose me as a customer than give me a paltry week's credit, then so be it. I can certainly get service form someone else.