Comcast Formerly ATT Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by oooeemrlee1 See Profile

• Location: La Quinta,Riverside,CA
Good "Speedy when working"
Bad "Inconsistent latency AT the modem, jittery modem, packet loss, endless calls"
Overall "Be proactive with support and MAYBE you'll get a nice connection"

Update: 3.17.2015 Well, must change my tune a bit. TWC has improved things on most fronts. Modem as been up for a week and half, with few errors. Latency remains as before, which is very annoying. I still get some packet loss with continuous pings to google overnight. Still have unusually long latency to their router on the LAN. Picture has improved on most channels as well (I re-calibrated and rechecked everything) Still more motion artifacts than I like, but their counting on most not noticing, and most won't.
»[Cable Speed test: 33.37/5.57 29 ms]
»/pingtest/nil/ ··· /3308157

What accounts for the 1.7% last hop loss? It's consistent across most all my tests.

I noticed most Line-Qual results from rr.com all over the country have the same thing, just like this guy:
»/pingtest/nil/ ··· /3308157
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Endless support calls. There is a reason fiber rocks. You don't have to tune a giant antennae, which is essentially what the cable plant is that serves the 2500 homes in my community. This means the quality of your service changes all the time with changes to the subscriber base. Skills locally are fair, but should it take 10 calls to get it right? After the 2nd call, request tier III support.

SH*tty picture. Unbelievable they serve up such swill, particularly sports feeds which should be clear and free of motion artifacts. Disappointed. Even ESPN. If it weren't for the LA Dodgers, would have switched by now.

Likely cutting cord from cable soon.

Comments:

Review by Phoenix22 See Profile

• Location: Grandville,Kent,MI
Good "Rock Solid 100x+ faster than any dsl, that I'm familiar with. "
Bad "As with any monopoly service sucks!! "
Overall "It is the only game in town, period! Friday the 13th 2015."

There is a choice of speeds....... The initial order and install was fast and instantaneous. The upgrade to open the pipes was not as easy as the 1st time.....XtremeBlast Performance is Rock Solid! I lease their modems, which ARE replaced free of charge for power surges only. Technology replacement will cost you a senseless service charge. Buying the modem is pointless because the technology changes so quickly. The IP is actually static, however it accesses it dynamically.

Update the speed..........135/25

I run w/2 modems........all though you do not have to.
This allows me to shut the PC/ XB3 Cisco Router Modem/Sound System and Shredder.... down at night. By shutting down at night you avoid any service interrupts for IP changes.
The Aris phone modem is on 24/7 w battery backup.

member for 13.3 years, 1966 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by b10010011 See Profile

• Location: Bellingham,Whatcom,WA
Good "Its OK when it's up"
Bad "Still sucks after all these years, high latency, frequent service outages, poor customer support"
Overall "If its your only choice for broadband then you are stuck with it."

Sucks but I am stuck with a government supported monopoly.

2014: Netflix streaming is next to impossible due to constant pausing and buffering.

2013, Still sucks, frequent intermittent service loss, but I have no other choice so what am I gonna' do?

Local cable lines must be held up with kite string as anytime the wind blows over 10 MPH the cable goes out and it takes them three days to put it back up.

If I had even ONE other choice for broadband I would leave Comcast in a instant.

I would leave Comcast for 640K DSL if I could get it!

Phone support sucks.

Two week wait for service call

Comments:

Review by joatmon65 See Profile

• Location: Auburn,King,WA
Good "Speed has been consistant"
Bad "Price"
Overall "The more speed the more you will spend."

Things are still the same with Comcast. They did get the speed back to 3Megs, I am just waiting for another price increase. I have not had too may outages or service interruptions. I did have my email blocked to one of my contacts by the "Mail Bombers", but I got around that by using a hotmail account. Comcast is ok if you can afford the monthly cost. The speed does save time over dial-up. Lance.
Well it's been 9 years so I should update this.
I now have a supposed 50Mb down. Just got a deal from Comcast, upgrade from 25Mb down.
Cost still high considering how much money they make.
Speed inconsistent, depends on Server distance as usual.
Have had no service interruptions.
Overall good experience.
Keep on Crunchin!!!!
Lance

Comments:

Review by JollyStomper See Profile

• Location: Pompano Beach,Broward,FL
Good "Fast. Surprisingly reliable..."
Bad "Took too long to get here!"
Overall "I'm spoiled! Connection is rock-solid."

It started when I received a flyer indicating Comcast HSI was now available in my area. Finally!! I waited two years for this day. So, on 1/6, I called and signed up. I got a 3 month promo of 29.95/Mo for the first three months. According to the sales rep, I just missed the 22.95 offer. Whatever. I was scheduled for the following Monday morning, 1/12.

The big day comes, and at around 10:30, the tech arrives. Very thorough and polite. He checks my wiring, replaces a faulty splitter and some frayed, cheap cable, checks the signal, and all is in perfect range. So he connects my modem, a Motorola SB5120 and it obtains block sync right away. I connect the modem to my xp machine and fire it up. I tell the tech not to install the software as I know the registration process for SAS. Run through the registration, not working. Doh! After checking, I find there is an error (mine) in my proxy settings and quickly correct it. After completing the modem registration, BAM! Up and running. Of course, you know the first thing I did with my new broadband connection was run a speed test right here at dslreports.com. Hitting the caps at 3.2Mb down/249Kb up. I'm happy!

Since then, I have set up a smoothwall firewall box and my home network: Two WinXp boxes and a Win2k Adv. Server box through a Linksys 5 port switch. All is well and good with the world there. There was one minor hiccup a few weeks ago where the speed dropped to a crawl for about an hour, and that was at a time when I should've been in bed anyway.

In regards to the infamous "invisible caps", I'm not fazed. However, if I receive a letter (which I doubt), I'll drop it like it's hot and go back to dialup, as hard as that may be to do. I won't waste my time or Comcast's with the jerkoff dance.

I set up my email accounts w/o difficulty, and they seem to work fine, but I go through a seperate provider for my mail anyway so no biggie there.

As far as Tech support goes, I haven't had to call for anything, and I won't need to unless all my equipment is ruled out on my end. I know enough of what to do so I can avoid calling support for the most part (I meant to leave the radio button/s unticked by tech support for not rated but, oh well...).

Overall, the service rocks!!! And a big shout out to my installer who did an excellent job!

UPDATE:

Everything is still rolling smooth, no complaints, really. I think i could get the 4Mb d/l in my area, but I don't need it. The speeds are consistently stable overall.

UPDATE: 4/28/05

Still no beef with the service (unless you count prior DNS related issues: I never used Comcasts'). Still lovin' it!

UPDATE: 5/20/06

After a move to outside of Atlanta, still going strong. No complaints. Can't comment on things like support because, frankly, i never needed them.

UPDATE: 11/207

Still no probz. Powerboost is very interesting, and my home network has grown. Connection is still rock-solid. I'm blessed...

UPDATE: 5/16/08

The connection is still good for me. Network now incudes a PIX 501, a 3500 switch, a Wii, an xbox360, some more computers and a partridge in a pear tree...

UPDATE: 11/22/08

Nothing new to report, except maybe the new speeds coming to the area.

UPDATE: 7/12/09

Still no issues. Recently got CDV and dropped my phone line. Everything still works! Curious about when D3 comes to my area though...

UPDATE: 1/15/10

The service is still swell. Some issues here and there w/CDV, but minimal at best. I have faster speeds. Good stuff...

member for 12 years, 5735 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by pr1mo See Profile

• Location: Harwood Heights,Cook,IL
Good "Awesome speeds, reliable connection, great support"
Bad "Price could be a little lower, much lower."
Overall "Best broadband connection I've ever had."

I ordered Comcast High-Speed Internet after the ATT merger. Cable HSI + Basic Analog for $45.95 I think. Was up and live in about 5 days. Information over the phone was very helpful. Tech came out on time, set up my line and I was on. Haven't had any problems since. I've had my connection for a good year and a half. Tech gave me the RCA DCM305 cable modem. Tech made the cable length extra, extra, extra long. Awesome ISP nonetheless and I'll stick with them unless some much more superior ISP rolls around my city.

In short, haven't had any serious problems at all, maybe 1-4 short downtimes in all. I'm exceptionally satisfied with this ISP.

Also, I stated upload could be higher. With this new speed upgrade coming in the beginning months of 2005, I'll be even more ecstatic. 6.6mbit/768kbps is wonderful.

As of November 20th, 2005, I'm receiving speeds of around 8800-9300kbps download and 650-700kbps upload.

I'm more than satisfied

UPDATE: Well, I am still with Comcast, and I have to say, it's truly been a wonderful experience. Right now I'm on the BLAST! tier, and my speeds are amazing. Download I'm averaging around 1.9MB/s - 2.4MB/s, upload is ~460KB/s.

It's been 3.5 years since my last review, and nothing has changed besides my speed upgrades. I've been more than satisfied, but like I said in my previous review, the price could be lower. During those 3.5 years as a Comcast customer, I have had 2 or 3 downtimes TOTAL, all of them surpassing no more than a full day.

Updated 5/17/2013: Speeds are currently in the 50+Mbps/s (down) + 10+Mbps/s (up) - service has been very reliable, have yet to experience serious connection drops.

member for 11.3 years, 5225 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by wolves01 See Profile

• Location: Crystal Lake,Mchenry,IL
Good "Much Improved the last few years"
Bad "Pricey!"
Overall "Best internet speeds around"

·Comcast Business..
Update 5/14/2013

After my horrible experience moving into our new home three years ago, I have to say I'm a pretty happy camper. My internet speeds are insanely fast 50 down/20 up and the connection is rock solid. We don't use the land line much, but it is reliable and the call quality is good.

I have also been very satisfied any time I have had to call in for support. I think Comcast has really made strides in this area. Hope it continues

Update 07/15/2010

Bought a new home recently and next to packing and physically moving boxes, dealing with Comcast was by far the most difficult part of the move. Our service was disconnected at our old house a week earlier than we had requested. It took several phone calls to get it turned back on. Incurred new set up charges, which I was able to get reversed. New home was installed on the scheduled date, but the phone numbers were not ported, DVR's did not work correctly and internet speed tier was not the same as before. Now my price has also increased considerably due so many reps messing with the account that I'm not even sure what packages I have anymore. Today I find out that when they prematurely disconnected my services that my number went back to Vonage and they are not sure if they can get it back. I used to be a very satisfied customer for several years, but I have now begun to explore other choices. I'm also a Comcast Business Class customer at my insurance agency and feel it's time to pull that service away from a company that no longer appreciates me as a customer.

Initial Review

After living with 28.8 Dial up for the past 4 years, I was going to get the first broadband option that was available. I tried to get DLS wireless twice, but was unable to get it due to trees, and SBC seems to be in no hurry to upgrade my neighborhood. I received a mailer on Monday offering Comcast for $19.95 for the first six months. I called immediately, and was up and running by Thursday afternoon. The tech was actually 40 minutes early. He was polite, friendly, and professional. We got signal to the modem immediately, and I completed the self install in about 15 minutes. My first download was 8.8MB and only took 40 seconds. My speed test was 1730/247. Not sure where to test pings, but when I went to Nascar 2003 online servers, it showed them to be in the 55-85 range.

Update 04/06/05

After 1 1/2 years of good reliability, my service has done a complete 180. Apparently Comcast is doing some type of upgrades in my area for VOIP which is causing HSI customers to become disconnected. Me and two of my neighbors were all completely down from March 22-24th due to this. Comcast stated they could find no problem in their network and set an appointment to have someone come out. Instead of sending out one tech to fix the problem, each neighbor had to have a separate appointment, even though all three techs climbed the exact same pole and did the exact same thing to fix each one of us. I understand that things go wrong occasionally and I dealt with it, until last night. My service is once again completely down along with one of my neighbors. I called support and was told to power cycle my modem.(as if I didn't already try that one) After working with a tech that could barely speak English, I demanded an appointment for the next day. I was told that was impossible, and asked to speak to a supervisor. While being transferred, I was disconnected, and had to start the process all over again. If there was another choice for broadband in my area, I'd switch in a heartbeat, but for now, they are the only game in town.

Update 09/29/06

Well it's been about a year and a half since my service issues, and since then, my service has been outstanding. Excellent reliability, lightning fast downloads, and awesome ping times. Hopefully that will continue. I also recently upgraded to the gamer tier. A little higher upload would be nice, but overall I am back in the 'happy camper' category with Comcast.

Update 09/17/2007

I have not had a single service disruption, or even a slowdown since the last update. Other than it still being pricey, I have had outstanding service since my issues 2 1/2 years ago.

Comments:

Review by sammysnake See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Was a quick install"
Bad "none that I have found yet"
Overall "I recommend it to everyone"

Once it was established that Cable Internet was available in my area, it took several online checks and then a call to the local cable office to verify that it was actually available it took 3 days from initial call to install. I started with att@home and in just under one year with them I had zero problems. Then came the switch over to attbi and that was the only outage I have ever had and I was back online within 3 days. Since the change over I have not been down at all except when we had a severe storm which knocked out the power for 15 hours. I started with their sharkfin modem and then with the change to attbi I bought my own SB4100 modem and it has been smooth sailing... much like it was with the sharkfin modem. I never did any speed tests while on @home so I can not rate speeds between the two but overall I have been very pleased and believe I will continue to enjoy the great service.

Update 8/4/03: Well the smooth sailing part has ended. In June my modem wouldn't sync and all calls to Comcast were of no help. I ended up with 2 weeks down time and a large dislike of Comcast. When all was done and over with what had happened is that they had a contract company do an audit on my neighborhood and that idiot disconnected me. It took Comcast 2 weeks to figure this out. I have a complaint pending with the franchise office but figure nothing will ever come of this.

Comments:

Review by MrFixitCT See Profile

• Location: Moncks Corner,Berkeley,SC
Good "not available here"
Bad "not available here."
Overall "not available here"

not available here..

still not available here

Comments:

Review by jmaninpgh See Profile

• Location: Allison Park,Allegheny,PA
Good "Always on, decent speeds, fairly consistent lately"
Bad "Cost, some slow periods"
Overall "Best bang for the buck in my area."

02/28/2012 Update - Everything has been going very smoothly. I had some issues with a wireless router that caused my speeds to fall. After diagnosing that and replacing the router, the wireless speeds are incredible. I have old hardware to begin with and need to upgrade the main PC this Spring.

Bundled with the triple play option, so exact costs for the internet connection are not known to me without doing some digging. I am not a big downloader, but when I do I don't really have any complaints. I am not paying for any super high speeds though.

07/12/2005 Update - Nothing new to report. The service has been flawless for several months now. I think it is faster now than when I started with @Home. I am hoping I am not jinxing myself, but I don't have any complaints at the moment.

Having been an original @home client, I have gone through a lot of highs and lows with this service. The transition period was horrible as I had to have my modem replaced because it was not compatible with the ATT Broadband service. After that 3 week period, things have been okay. Every so often the service might go down for a few hours or so. The tech support help that I have needed has been decent once I get past the Level one guys. But, it has usually resulted in a service call.

Of course, the speed was better during the @home period, but considering the alternatives available to me, its still okay. Of course, I am not a power user downloading a lot of stuff or playing a lot of online games. And lately, my tested speeds have exceeded the 1500 download barrier for some reason.

All in all, its been an okay service. Not as great as the original @home service but better than some of the alternatives I have checked into. I just hope the transition to Comcast and/or any future cost increases won't have any impact on my decision to stay with the service.