Comcast Formerly ATT Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by SkylineGTR34 See Profile

• Location: Schaumburg,Cook,IL
Good "Speeds are blazing fast, blows DSL out of the water, rock solid speed/connection!"
Overall "Excellent service."

Well after being 5 years with Earthlink, and experiencing unstable connection after being upgraded to 3.0 service, I decided to say good buy to Earthlink, and say hello to Comcast, mainly because of the nice promotion deal I got.
So I called Comcast Thursday, got myself a nice promotional deal on HSI & Digital Cable, the installer was supposed to come to my house from 9am-1pm, the installer got here at 9:10, Im thinking great, he had my HSI up and running in 10 minutes, without installing all kinda crap on my PC, then he went to work on the Digital Cable, which he finished within 30 minutes, so in 40 minutes he was out of my house with everything running.
So far its been almost a week and Im very very pleased with this service, my pings are 20-40's on most gaming servers, the downloads are bazling past 4mbit's, the upload is dissapointing, but doesnt really bother me since i rarely uploading.
Here are few speed tests I just took;

2004-05-28 15:34:04 EST: 3425 / 200
Your download speed : 3507910 bps, or 3425 kbps.
A 428.2 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 205655 bps, or 200 kbps.

2004-05-28 15:35:23 EST: 3400 / 202
Your download speed : 3482172 bps, or 3400 kbps.
A 425 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 207307 bps, or 202 kbps.

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.2.1e
click START to begin
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 200.62Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 4.20Mb/s
Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

2004-05-29 01:13:52 EST: 3959 / 208
Your download speed : 4054572 bps, or 3959 kbps.
A 494.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 213675 bps, or 208 kbps.
test IP was to comcast.net via att.net

Bottom line, Comcast so far kicks ass!

UPDATE 12/10/2004

Comcast silently upgraded me to 4/386 without ANY additional fees, Im currently paying $19.99 for 6 months for my HSI, I couldnt ask for a better ISP, this is by far the best ISP I ever had and Comcast been fantastic.

UPDATE 5/17/05 I was upgraded to 6000/768 and right now Im paying $32.99/mo for the next 12 months, what can I say ? comcast rocks big time!

2005-05-18 18:11:18 Speed test @ www.chi.speakeasy.net 6336/703 kbps
2005-05-18 12:59:54 Speed test @ www.chi.speakeasy.net 6279/703 kbps
2005-05-18 12:52:30 Speed test @ www.chi.speakeasy.net 6252/702 kbps
2005-05-18 11:49:53 Speed test @ www.chi.speakeasy.net 6424/702 kbps
2005-05-18 11:47:46 Speed test @ www.chi.speakeasy.net 6336/699 kbps
2005-05-18 11:39:29 Speed test @ www.chi.speakeasy.net 6485/703 kbps *coldblooded*
2005-05-18 03:03:33 Speed test @ www.chi.speakeasy.net 6454/702 kbps Im lovin' it
2005-05-18 02:59:10 Speed test @ www.chi.speakeasy.net 6308/703 kbps
2005-05-18 01:06:37 Speed test @ www.chi.speakeasy.net 6365/706 kbps
2005-05-18 01:00:26 Speed test @ www.chi.speakeasy.net 6308/706 kbps

UPDATE 7-21-05

Comcast keeps surprising me for better, check these speeds!

2005-07-21 14:17:53 Speed test @ www.chi.speakeasy.net 10564/700 kbps
2005-07-21 11:53:25 Speed test @ www.chi.speakeasy.net 10720/700 kbps
2005-07-21 11:33:59 Speed test @ www.chi.speakeasy.net 10641/702 kbps
2005-07-21 11:32:30 Speed test @ www.chi.speakeasy.net 10805/700 kbps
2005-07-21 03:08:44 Speed test @ www.chi.speakeasy.net 10891/698 kbps
2005-07-21 03:00:34 Speed test @ www.chi.speakeasy.net 10725/703 kbps Damn, ahaha Im still paying fo
2005-07-21 02:59:40 Speed test @ www.chi.speakeasy.net 10725/707 kbps COMCAST ROCKS!!!
2005-07-21 02:55:43 Speed test @ www.chi.speakeasy.net 10810/702 kbps
2005-07-21 02:54:59 Speed test @ www.chi.speakeasy.net 11519/703 kbps

member for 13.5 years, 652 visits, last login: 8.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Lostintech See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
Good "Fast, good pings, free modem exchange"
Bad "It has a bad reputation, horrid tech support"
Overall "If you live in the Philly, PA area, get it."

Updated: 1/10/05: I am suffering from a network outage and the second or third one and I only have had the service for 1 month and 20 days

Update 1/14/05:Network outage fixed down the street the wire went bad and they fixed my packet loss. but the bad thing is that they will never admit that it is their problem. it's always "oh did you run spy bot search and destroy" The tech support sucks, they don't do anything but they do answer all of your stupid questions with no problem!

Update 7/5/05:
I'm a little late.
Comcast is treating me pretty good. I get stable speeds and pings are good. I don't download that much, on the average I download and upload 7-20 GB per month. Some people say that their DNS servers suck, I don't think they do. If I use the 4.2.2.1 or 4.2.2.2 one I'll get to the page 0.10 seconds faster. I can wait.

Comments:

Review by kinghall See Profile

• Location: Atlantic Beach,Duval,FL
Good "Excellent service on location and priority response to business customers."
Bad "Actual speeds are widely variable."
Overall "What else you gonna do? Bellsouth? Oye."

Left BellSouth where I was paying a premium for guaranteed but slow speeds of 768/512. Also dealing with the often aggrevating heirarchy and "don't give a damn" attitude of an old southern business monolith. Comcast offers higher speeds, no guarantees, though it seems that reported speeds are usually always above what the Bellsouth service provided. Response time to problems with this "business" service is excellent. I must acknowledge Bellsouth for it's usually excellent and professional tech support as well. Comcast seems just as savvy if a bit less formal...more fly by the seat of their pants type crew in pre-sales and tech support. I suppose I'm happy with Comcast...just wish the speeds were steady... and faster! more More MORE BANDWIDTH!

Comments:

Review by Hey Norm See Profile

• Location: Saint Charles,Kane,IL
Good "Fast, Fast, Fast!"
Bad "See review"
Overall "You gotta love broadband!"

*Update: 4/15/05: Aside from the DNS issues Comcast has been having lately (which hasn't effected me, thanks to an alternate DNS and of course, broadbandreports.com for the info), my connection has been nothing but rock solid. I've been getting consistant speeds, and am pretty happy with my service.

I recently took the dive, and stepped up to the gold tier, just to try it out. I had been reading about users on the gold tier having issues with speed, so I was a little worried. I hopped online, and had the upgrade performed via Comcast's chat. The tech sent a remote command to reboot the modem, and off I was. Initial speed tests showed only one increase, and that was in my upload speed.

Hopped back on to Comcast's chat and had the Tech check my line settings. Everything was ok. A half hour later, all was well. The upgrade is really noticeable as pages load faster, and download speeds have increased.

I know there are a bunch of people out there that loathe Comcast, but personally, they have yet to drop the ball out where I am. I can't argue with that.

Quick Backround: I've had broadband on and off for 4 yrs - most when I was in college. I called comcast to get my house set up for HSI and digicable. I went in on the 19.99/6 mos. promo and the on demand digital gold promo for 29.99 till '05 deal as well. ordered it on the 6th, they were out on the 13th.

The install for the most part, went without a hitch. they just had to run another coax into the house, so no biggie. They were in and out in less than an hour. Enter sunday, 8/15. I'm doing some stuff for work when I lose my net connection. The cable modem isnt getting a signal. Now, when they ran another line to the house, it was not buried - they'll be back out to take care of that. Anyway, I go out to the cable box to see my coax has been disconnected. My neighbor from the neighborhood across from me, comes up and asks if i did the install. I told him the story. Turns out that when the jackass contractors ran the coax to my house, they unplugged my neighbor's live cable connection. He took matters into his own hands and disconnected me. I needed this broadband connection, since i was doing some VPN action to my office. Long story short, I sorted things out with comcast. They were trying to get someone out, but no one was availible. So they credited my account twice, and gave me a free month of service. I was impressed with the customer service reps - they handled everything with competence, and delivered on what they said they'd do. That is something that is few and far between these days with customer service. Comcast had guys out here first thing in the morning on 8/16. I did a remote connection to my machine at home, and my line was back up and running.

My only gripe was with the contractors that did the install. There were 2 of them, and only one of them knew what he was doing. The other guy seemed like a rookie, and I even asked him and he said no he wasn't - he'd been doing this for quite some time. Heh, could've fooled me. Anyway, for once I am pleased with how comcast was able to resolve this issue in a timely fashion

member for 10.3 years, 301 visits, last login: 8.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Elcabong See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
Good "Fast Speeds, Always On, No Downtime"
Bad "Unreliable Keepers of Appointments"
Overall "Solid Service and Reliabilty once Connected"

Ordered my service through the phone and was stood up 3 times. I had given them my new phone once i moved into my new apt., but they never told the techie coming out. I had power on my cable when i moved in but they wouldn't let me do a self install although i had my own modem. I finally got fed up and called comcast and told them i was upset at being stood up and that they should take my mac id and serial # and just connect me and send me a bill. So the did that and everything is ok. Comcast continues to be the Philadelphia area's fastest connection for internet and i'm pleased with the service.
SB3100- it still works!
Home service at 6000/384- speeds as advertised confirmed
Linksys WRT54GS
Broadvoice VOIP

$64. including all taxes

Comments:

Review by DarkSorcerer See Profile

• Location: Ocala,Marion,FL
Good "Great Speeds, Friendlier Customer Service, Better Pings."
Bad "Speed Flucations on occasion"
Overall "Great ISP, Fast Speeds, Worth the money"

I remember getting Qwest DSL in Minnesota and the price I paid for the speeds I got 640/640 was over 150, now I pay 52.95 and get much more stable pings along with a very FAT pipe, Which I've been using very Conistently as I am an artist, and I host CS, I can host a 14 player CS server, which is awesome.... The Contract was originally a Self install but when I got my cable hooked up, the Installer noticed some issued and without charging me gave me a free professional installation, which was very courteous since they had a few problems in the area, as well as CSR seeming to be improving, I am very pleased at this point in time with the service...Overall I'm pleased to have this service

member for 10.5 years, 605 visits, last login: 3.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by sonicoasis See Profile

• Location: Corcoran,Kings,CA
Good "Fast, very reliable"
Bad "comcast"
Overall "Solid performance, next to no down time."

Comcast upgraded the speed here in Corcoran on March 13, 2005. I have been getting close to the 6Mbpsdownload speeds but the upload speeds have been a little short of the 768Kbps speeds that they have for the "Gold" tier customers. I use UseNetServer to access newsgroups and my download speeds have been between 6.12 and 6.35Mbps. Back in November 2004 I upgraded to the "Gold" tier and my combinded monthly payment for cable/internet when up to $100. In Feburary 2005 I call to "Cancel" due to the high price and they offered me a discounted price of $60 a month for 12 months. I did not know at the time that I took the discount that comcast was going to upgrade the speed at no extra charge. In my case this has been a great deal. Comcast is the only game in town when it comes th broadband and the service here has been very good with very little down time.

Comcast took over from ATT back on June 30, 2003. In the year and a half that I have had broadband internet from ATT/Comcast to line has only been down twice and only for a few hours each. Still have unlimited access to newsgroups as with ATT for now. $83.00 monthly price is for internet and basic cable service.

UPDATE 9/17/2004:

Eventhrough comcast still offers unlimited access to newsgroups to those of use who were with ATT before the take over, they now have capped the download speed. The best I can get now is about 600 kps.

Comments:

Review by uflnuceng See Profile

• Location: Irwin,Westmoreland,PA
Good "very fast, dependable speed"
Bad "customer service is iffy at times"
Overall "Totally recommend it for HSI"

Our area cannot get Verizon DSL, but I am more of a fan of cable HSI anyway.

We had to get the cable up to the house first, and the road crew was very accomidating leaving us cable to get down from the house to the pole (about 520ft). The only problem was the coordination with the average customer service technician who missed the first two appointments I set up, but made it for the 3rd. I was really ticked about the first two being canceled and they waived the $29.95 install fee.

I got the gold teir 6Mbps/768kbps dynamic IP package and the connection is amazing. I won't have a problem sharing this connection with the rest of the family as none of us will come close to using up the bandwidth I have confirmed with NetStat Live I bought my own linksys cable modem for about $70 (lease from comcast was $3/month) and I have a linksys router. If you are finding problems with your connection speed I would recommend looking at the router because I know for a fact that we are at the end of the line here in Rillton/North Huntingdon and I still get transfer speeds often in excess of 6Mbps at the right time of night.

I highly recommend this service to anyone looking for HSI. Its actually faster than what I get at work!

Comments:

Review by agorophobia See Profile

• Location: Downey,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Reliable, Stable, Technicians in LiveChat/Phone respond Quickly"
Bad "Upgrade Area/Connect Process Takes Forever"
Overall "Worth my payments"

Currently running on Comcasts 6.0/768 Upgrade. order of the upgrade was plain and simple. did it through live chat with cable rep. only equipment that was needed for myself was the switch of modems from the 3COM HOME CONNECT that was given to me when i purchased ATT's Cable service. Took in my 3COM and Traded in for the MOTOROLA SURFBoard SB5100.

Comments:

Review by jgriffin7 See Profile

• Location: Carrollton,Denton,TX
Good "it's been very reliable"
Bad "not fun when you have to call support, but that rarely happens"

Service have been very reliable. The few times it has been out, calling support was a nightmare. Verizon fiber just went in, so I'll be cancelling Comcast soon.