Comcast Formerly ATT Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by Ruth Larish See Profile

• Location: Allen,Collin,TX
Good "Miss the Price"
Bad "None that I can remember"
Overall "RoadRunner is terribly expensive!"

I am pleased with the performance of Comcast . I rarely upload other than e-mail , photos , etc so my views are based on that .

Ruth Larish

Comments:

Review by calathea See Profile

• Location: Corvallis,Benton,OR
Good "Great if you pay top $$!"
Bad "Connection drop problems after we downsized the service tier"
Overall "Sayonara Comcast! Ciao, Adios, Bye Bye"

16 June 2010

After a long uneventful stretch where we were paying top $$ for a Comcast bundle with 2 phones and the fastest internet connection, we dialed it back when I got laid off. After that, about every 5 minutes the connection would drop for a few seconds. Never got involved in trying to fix it, because we were planning to move, and as of today we disconnecting our service -- Sayonara Comcast! There's been ups and downs.

8 August 2008 -- later today

Billing mistake was corrected. Happy again. Still not completely satisfied with pre-sales information because the salesman said the CSHI was included. It's not; it's an extra $10 per month. He also said the modem rental was $5 but it's $3. You want accurate information when you're considering buying something.

8 August 2008

Oops -- billing mistake -- bill is twice what it is supposed to be -- There's an installation charge that was supposed to be waived; 'free' services are being billed -- we will see what Comcast's response is

30 July 2008

We got the Comcast "Triple Play" internet, cable TV with 2 telephone lines installed Monday. It costs $133.99 per month for 6 months and then goes up to $188.30. We get unlimited domestic long distance and all the phone bells & whistles (caller ID, voicemail, etc.) as well as a lot more TV channels. We were paying for two telephone land lines and had to make sure no one accidentally dialed a long-distance number from one of them. We also were using an answering machine rather than pay for voicemail! Once the starter rate expires, we won't be saving any money but will be getting more service.

We ordered from a Comcast sales contractor who was working our neighborhood. They installed it the day they said they would, and it went fine. We're using a RCA by Thomson DHG 535-2 eMTA modem thingamabobby.

So far everything has worked great. The only thing I didn't like was the price somehow got added up wrong at first, so it looked like we would be paying less than before when actually we aren't, at least after the intro rate expires.

18 October 2006

Can it really have been almost 3 years since I updated this review? Been with Comcast the whole time, not that many outages, great speed, still very happy.

Still have the same modem, but have been through several routers. Replaced the Netgear router and access point with a Lynksys router/wireless combination. That one just died a few weeks ago. Now we've given up the wireless because of security issues, and are using a Netgear firewall.

**********************************************************

Broadbandreports.com asked me to update my review,of Comcast, so here goes. I LOVE my cable and it has been completely solid and just keeps getting faster for the last year or so. I consider $45 a month expensive, but it's worth it.

I have a Toshiba PCX2200 modem, an Asante FR3004LC router and a Netgear wireless access point. And what I do behind my router is nobody's business.

I didn't have any trouble with the migration from attbi to comcast. The information from Comcast was insufficient, but this board provided all of the information needed to manually move my email over.

The only problem was that one day the tree trimming company was out working for Pacific Power--they accidentally knocked down the cable equipment with a tree limb. My connection died, but when I looked outside the Comcast truck was there and they had it back up the same day.

Calathea,
A happy Comcast user.
24 December 2003

**************************************************

On March 8 suddenly my connection was gone. ATT said they would have to send someone out. The tech showed up as scheduled this morning, tested the line, went outside and looked at the cable. It was full of water. He called one of his ATT buddies to come over, and they installed new cable from the telephone pole to the house. All this took about an hour.

The tech also gave me the information I needed to register my new modem. The upload speeds used to always be really slow; they've doubled. All this service and I'm still on my 6 months introductory rate of $9.95 per month!!

********************************

After the Qwest/MSN fiasco in early November, I spent about a month and a half trying to get non-MSN dsl back from Qwest. Finally had to abandon that idea due to Qwest's incredible bumbling incompetence, and contacted Megapath. They were willing, but their subcontractor New Edge Networks dropped the ball. They missed a couple of appointments and the one time a guy did come out, he sort of looked around and said he didn't want to put in the wiring. Didn't want to use the existing wiring either. OK . . .

Then ATT sends me a postcard offering cable internet for $9.95 per month for 6 months, $35.99 a month after that. Now to be fair, I had tried cable before about 3 years ago, so the wiring was already in place; even the cable modem was still lying around. So Friday I call, and Tuesday the tech is supposed to show up between 8 am and 10 am. The doorbell rings at 8:00 am sharp.

I had ordered the basic install. You say I'm supposed to put this CD in my machine?? Not likely. Not after the MSN CD completely hosed my system. So for another $25 the guy set it all up for me manually, while I watched over his shoulder, in case he made a false move.

The process wasn't totally without glitches. After the tech left I lost the connection and had to call tech support. She said they I didn't have any signal and they needed to close the workorder. OK, I waited a couple of hours--still no connection. I dialed up and used their adorable online chat tech support. "Just be patient," the guy says. "We're working on it."

So I toddled off to work and when I got home, there's the connection up and running. After using the tweak tool here on dslreports, I'm getting nice fast speeds and am deliriously happy with my cable. I got an Asante FriendlyNet router so I can hook up my laptop like the old days with the dsl. The router was easy to set up; the one problem that cropped up was solved in a couple of minutes by a call to the Asante tech support.

So far, the cable connection has been way more reliable than the dsl, which used to drop me off regularly. Oh please, let it continue . . . .

member for 12.8 years, 1913 visits, last login: 84 days ago

Comments:

Review by Mordy See Profile

• Location: Denver,Adams,CO
Good "Very reliable, and pretty good speed"
Bad "Not many"
Overall "Overall, good service. Much better than DSL options"

Been on Comcast since they were originally @home and later ATTBI. Been happy with the service in the Denver area.

I'm getting 8000 down / 700 up - upload a little slow for things like FTP but not bad overall. Occasional outages, but mostly in the early morning before 6 AM. No DOCSIS 3.0 in Denver yet. Bandwidth has gone up over the years, but the price hasn't - kudos to Comcast for that.

No billing problems, except the rate is a bundled rate for using Comcast Cable. Pay $10 more per month without cable.

Webmail/Email is pretty good as well. No issues, and 7 accounts.

Comments:

Review by laengine See Profile

• Location: Berlin,Hartford,CT
Good "They are trying!"
Bad "Inconsistent service"
Overall "Competition please."

We paid extra tp gp tp the Ultra Plan 22/5. We still get 30 down but abpout 8-10 up. We should be getting 50 down with PowerBoost, Comcast is working on it.

Here is an update for 2009, we switched to Workplace with 16MB down, no cap, static IP's and phone service. It is much better than the personal service, mostly due to the SMC router/modem and a new RG11 drop. The signal is good, speeds vary, with better uploading.

After many improvements have made, we are seeing a big change in our HSI and HDTV experience. When Comcast takes over a local area (AT&T) it takes a very long time to make the proper changes. Cable Technology requires a lot of maintenance, something that CT never did. Only time will tell. Wish there was competition, to speed up more changes.

Comments:

Review by DSL_JC See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Dekalb,GA
Good "Always up, low ping time with consistent upload and download speeds."
Bad "None now!"
Overall "Now that the upgrade in my area is completed it has been amazing!"

The reliability have been great. I rely on my link for work a lot and it is always up and reliable. Download and upload speeds are better than ever.

member for 14.8 years, 2096 visits, last login: 348 days ago

Comments:

Review by KikoOne See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Duval,FL
Good "Very reliable speed and connection"
Bad "still no dial up"
Overall "Very happy with Comcast"

RCA Modem with 6 Mbt/sec now clocking over 10 Mbt/sec
After all this time, Still working Good.
Sep 23 2009
Update;
Got my old faithfull cable modem for a new Docsis 2 with VOIP built in, has been a week and the think keep losing sync every day 2 or 3 times. this is the most anoying situation when you are using the phone.
will call comcast tomorrow.

member for 13.5 years, 1081 visits, last login: 204 days ago

Comments:

Review by cduran08 See Profile

• Location: Vallejo,Solano,CA
Good "Great Speed on Downloads and Streaming"
Bad "None Cross my Mind"
Overall "This is a great service and have never been happier with my Internet Connection"

I love my Comcast High Speed Internet. I always have. But I must Say I Like it even better since upgrading to the New Ultra Speed Tier. 22mbps Down and 5 mbps Down. I have 5 Laptops 2 Desktops and 3 Game Consoles all running at high end broadband speed. What more could you possibly ask for

Comments:

Review by devjonfos See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
Good "Internet service seems competitive"
Bad "Video service is lacking"
Overall "Verizon FIOS might be better"

My apartment complex is wired for both Comcast Cable and Verizon FIOS and right when I was moving in, the Verizon FIOS installation was being completed. I decided to go with Comcast Cable since I was a previous customer at my former residence and the fact that I knew little about Verizon FIOS.

I initially got double-play, internet + video, for $59.99 a month. Speeds were approximately 6MB down/1MB up, but have doubled since they installed DOCSIS 3.0 in my area.

Now that I have completed one year with them, my rates are going up, but I did manage to threaten to switch to Verizon FIOS and get my internet rate down to $29.99 a month for another year (that's at the new 12MB down/2 MB up).

Here's my speedtest back in February: »www.speedtest.net/result/405327043.png

I am very happy with their internet service, but the video service is the same old meaningless spread of channels with a few HD channels. I would really like a video à la carte service since I only watch a handful of channels.

Verizon FIOS has been bugging me to switch and they seem to have a better internet service in terms of down/up speed and their video service is offering more HD channels.

I don't know. I can't decide yet. I may just get internet service and drop the video service, if that's possible with these providers.

member for 10.3 years, 1905 visits, last login: 98 days ago

Comments:

Review by pixarwolf See Profile

• Location: West Hartford,Hartford,CT
Good "never fail connection -"
Bad "price"
Overall "Never has failed - fast enough for my needs"

When I first started broadband with the old @home - I gave up - but with Comcast I have had no problems since install. The one time I thought I had a problem was due to my error - and the technician helped me quickly realize my error. Ordering service, is pushy to get you to sign up, but once installed with a new Motorola Surfboard SB5120 I have had no problems - and would highly recommend. The price is a little high but for a no hassle connection to high speed internet I like Comcast the best.

Comments:

Review by agaprazr See Profile

• Location: Salem,Marion,OR
Good "Very steady and reliable service since my last 4 reviews"
Bad "None since my last review"
Overall "Fastest online service available at my home at this time."

Original download speed was 4000Kbps, has since been upgraded to 6000Kbps with the same 384Kbps upload speed. I consistently get more than the 6000Kbps download speed and usually 360+/-Kbps upload speed. I have not had any problems with Comcast service since my last review. I am very happy with this cable internet service.

Above is my last review comment. Comcast as continued to provide me with very steady and reliable service. I have had no reason to contact tech support in the past year so I upgraded to a 5 in this category. I have been very satisfied with my Comcast service over the past year.

This is my 3rd annual review of my Comcast Internet service. Comcast continues to provide me with very steady and reliable service over the past year. I continue to be very satisfied with Comcast and have not had any issues that would cause me to look anywhere else.

2009 - This is my 4th annual review. Comcast upgraded the provisioned speeds to 13200 down and 2200 up for the same price. No notable problems with service this past year. I still say Comcast is the best for the money in this area.

member for 9.7 years, 1776 visits, last login: 1 year ago