Comcast Formerly ATT Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by mad_3_P See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "Can't beat for the price. 42.95 mo. for last 4 years."
Bad "Transitioning to Comcast was a lil crazy (e-mail & service), and took a minute to find a bad router during the winter."
Overall "Once Comcast settled in w/ their sys. in place it's been great!"

Comcast has done well by me!!! I began w/ ATTBI and was successful w/ them as well. Had to tweak my install of "XP Home" to get connected but, after that great. Transition to Comcast wasn't without problems (to be expected). Overall they were at a minumum. Honestly, it took a year to fully make the transition here in North Atlanta suburbs. Only real prob. during that time was a bad router they had trouble locating (started during an Ice storm). If you paid attention, e-mail transition was seamless. If not, you had some issues. Read their e-mails!!!!!!

The greatest thing is I started w/ ATTBI at 42.95 mo.@1.5mbps, 4 years later I'm w/ Comcast at the same 42.95 mo.w/ 6mbps. Not bad in this industry.

The bottom line in this industry is the how your area or city is wired. Fortunately for me my area was pretty new. All utilities were new or were, as of the late 90's, upgraded! Makes a big difference. Where I lived in Atlanta before here was serviced by old Media One (pre ATT). They weren't bad but, the area I was in gave them fits. The system was so antiquated they had issues keeping service while trying to upgrade. Should've stopped service and completly redone. To this day that area is still an issue.

member for 11.1 years, 371 visits, last login: 6.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by evilthotz See Profile

• Location: Wilmington,Los Angeles,CA
Good "keeps upping d/l speed"
Bad "not always responsive...but not that many problems for which i've needed help"
Overall "i havent seriously considered finding an alternative."

i ordered comcast internet & cable tv in december 2003. i'd been paying roughly $6/mo for dialup. at $45/mo, cable internet was considerably more expensive. comcast had just taken over att's franchise and the advertised dl/ul speeds were 3000/250 (i think). my dl rate was always better; ul was about as promised. since then, comcast has upped it to 4mb and now 6mb d/l. i've negotiated a reduction in fees to $37 total (with modem rental).

i've also arranged for comcast to provide cable internet for a client. everything has gone very smoothly with that.

so far, so good here and there.

Comments:

Review by glenview See Profile

• Location: Glenview,Cook,IL
Good "Cheapest Internet service I can get with an awesome 4Mbps download speed"
Bad "384K upload speed"
Overall "Been using Comcast for over 2 years and I'm very happy"

(September 29, 2005)
Comcast updated my service to 6000K down (upload is still at 384K). Got to say I was pleased about that. Here are my results from »www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Download Speed: 6057 kbps (757.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 353 kbps (44.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

(March 27, 2005)
Wow it's been a long time since I updated this. As you can tell, I've been with Comcast for over 2 years and I can easily say that I'm VERY happy. The cost for my cable internet connection hasn't changed, but Comcast has upgrade their service to give me 4000K down and 384K up. They have also added their own NewsGroup Server access which allows me to get unmetered Header information for all the news groups they have; unfortunatly though, they still have a 1GB download cap. Also based on how stable my internet connection has been, I've decided to look into getting VOIP with Sun Rocket. You can read my review here: »Review of SUNROCKET by glenview

(Feb 13, 2003)
Currently I have SpeedSite DSL which uses Focal as the CLEC (see my review of this provider at »Review of SpeedSite Internet Services (ThoughtPort Authority of Chicago) by glenview ) but do to the high price ($95 for 1500down and 512up), I'm looking for another Broadband company.

I decided to try AT&T Broadband Cable Internet (which is now Comcast) because they gave me a 1 month money back guarentee (which includes the installation cost), and because for $60 I get 1500down and 256up (note: Comcast increased the download speed to 1800down).

Read my diary (»/dsl_diary/other/762365) for details regarding how my order and installation went, but to sum it up so far, I'm quite happy. The only negitives I have is with the Giganews 1GB download cap, and an upload speed of only 256K.

Comments:

Review by greenfalcon6 See Profile

• Location: Stockton,San Joaquin,CA
Good "Fast connection"
Bad "Lags and drops out on occasion, Tech Support is in denial"
Overall "Comcast tries to fix what isn't broken"

I've had cable HSI since the days of MediaOne (spring '00), it has worked great up until this year. First came the DNS server issues which caused network outages, and now we are experiencing some slowdowns that are not being acknowleged by CC.

Comments:

Review by KAMitchell See Profile

• Location: Elmwood Park,Cook,IL
Good "Breathtaking speed when it works. Install (in 2000!) was painless and quick."
Bad "Lately, whole days of intense packet loss."
Overall "I love the service, but if they don't get it working reliably, I'll have to go to DSL."

I've had service at this address since the Excite@home days, in fact, I ordered service the week it was turned on in my area. 20 minute install. The only glitch was when Excite went out of business, but I had service again a few days later.

I have a dynamic IP, but it changes very rarely, only really if something changes about the service: Equipment MAC address or reconfiguration of the network on the ISP end.

For a long time, this has been the best internet service, and I'd swear by it, and was enthusiastically promoting it to my friends.

I've loved the new 8000/768 service, and the bursts I've been getting up over 10000 kbit/s are awesome.

Lately, it's been going sour. I started noticing that when I'd ssh to a server I was working on, I had to wait to see what I'd typed.

I put monitoring on the line from my end, and my packet loss to the first hop out from my modem is often good, but I have whole days of bad, where bad is 40-100% packet loss.

I've had a premises tech out once already, tried swapping modems (my purchased Motorola SB5100 vs. the rented SB3100 from the Excite days) and have ruled out everything in my apartment.

So far, it's been two weeks without an effective solution to the problem. Something about a line tech couldn't work without the premises tech here. They didn't call me because it was after 9pm, but didn't call me the next day either. Something about a ticket expiring. All I know is I have service that appears to work for 3-5 days, and then goes totally bad again. I need better than that. I need the cable service that was so reliable for 5 years.

I'd like it to work like it did. But right now, in this locality, I can't recommend Comcast.

Comments:

Review by Lopears See Profile

• Location: Belmont,San Mateo,CA
Good "Speed-Reliability"
Bad "none"
Overall "Smooth sailin' here"

Boy did I get lucky..........................up surfing in 2 days without a problem at all.Installer on time to boot (hell, a lil early If im not mistaken). Full rated speed (as advertised) 4000/384 almost everytime Ive pulled a speed check (minus a lil overhead)
How could I not recommend it In my area ?.........(SF Bay area in Calif)

Comcast is good stuff over HERE at least

Update 9-8-05: At the 9 month mark, NOT 1 DISCONNECT........full upgraded speed ALWAYS (since the past Comcast upgrade to 6000/768)if not,a lil higher.
Tech support ?.not sure , never needed it...............
Am I lucky?.HELL YES.......and I DO REALIZE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
COMCAST.please start pushing good buttons for ALL youre customers!!!!!

member for 10.1 years, 494 visits, last login: 2.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by theboothsdad See Profile

• Location: Elmwood Park,Cook,IL
Good "Has improved over time."
Bad "Penalizes non-cable-TV-subscribers."
Overall "I hope they hold the line on pricing."

DSL Reports continues to say that I live in Elmwood Park IL. It's not true. I'm on the West side of Chicago. Elmwood Park and a portion of Chicago share the same zip code, but DSL Reports will not let me enter my city name. Instead they pick up Elmwood Park from my zip code.

I started out by ordering AT&T@Home in August 2001. After a slow start, their service started to improve until at one point I was getting 5.5Mbps downstream, but still under 128kbps upstream. It seemed they had an upstream cap, but no downstream cap. It appeared that it was on the way to very good service, but then it ended very suddenly when @Home went belly up.

After a period without broadband, ATTBI started up. Their cap was 1.5Mbps downstream, 128kbps up, but they delivered less than that, and quickly raised the rates without providing any better service. Their DNS servers were particularly bad. I was mourning the loss of @Home as I was paying more money for less than one third the bandwidth I had with @Home. Over time the DNS servers settled down and the actual speeds came close to what was advertised.

ATTBI was acquired by Comcast. At first, very little changed except the name on the bill. Then, little by little, Comcast took over. Comcast's mail server was terrible! It would be unreachable for hours at a time. They raised the rates too, before they made any improvement in service.

Slowly, very slowly, Comcast made improvements. The mail server became more reliable. The speeds came up to what was advertised. Both the download and upload speeds were raised, without an immediate raise in rates. I now have caps of 4.4Mbps down and 384kbps up and am paying $42.95/month, the same as after the first round of Comcast rate increases. Those who do not subscribe to Comcast cable TV, however, were hit with an additional $10 to $15 per month rate increase. That's just not right, in my opinion.

After the promised cap increase to 6.6Mbps down and 384kbps up this summer, I will finally be able to say that it is as good a value as I had with AT&T@Home back in 2001. That is, unless they raise the rates again.

Comments:

Review by nanogeek See Profile

• Location: Murrieta,Riverside,CA
Good "Consistent download speed"
Bad "Expensive, Low upload speed,"
Overall "Excellent service provider"

I have been with Comcast for several years and the connection speed has been quite consistent with Comcasts advertised speeds

Overall, the connection has been quite reliable. There was a DNS issue at one point and another problem where the speed slowed down for a few days. In both cases, Comcast repaired the problems satisfactorily. Neither the DNS or speed issues were in my equipment.

member for 11.3 years, 1667 visits, last login: 245 days ago

Comments:

Review by DonoftheDead See Profile

• Location: Bothell,King,WA
Good "Good(2nd tier) tech support, very reliable,"
Bad " d/l bandwidth varies quite a bit, weak signal"
Overall "Great service and very reliable, but bandwidth is variable."

They rock, mostly. 4000/384 for 29.99 with dynamic IP. Came with a Motorola Surfboard 5120. The only problem I've had is the d/l speed drops by 50% at times. Usually around supper time. The line signal is weak, but this only seems to affect the cable tv so far. The 2nd tier support are quick and knowledgeable and have always solved the bugs that have popped up. All in all, I'd have to say I'm pretty happy with comcast, so far. I had DSL before, and the bandwidth hardly varied, but I paid $15 more a month for 1500/512. With comcast I get 4000/384 for less. The bandwidth problem doesn't bother me yet. We'll have to see how it goes.

Comments:

Review by MartyParty See Profile

• Location: Irving,Dallas,TX
Good "great speed little down time"
Bad "upload speed could be higher or price adjusted"
Overall "good and stable"

i've had dsl for 2 years from verizon and speeds never really stayed consistent. I've had cable with att/comcast for 4 years and I love it. speeds are pretty much what they advertise. If i do have any outages they usually don't last longer than 15 min.
not to offend anyone but I believe the folks that are using sbc and verizon are the same folks that used to use aol. The i don't know any betters. Comcast rocks.

update
08-04-05
everything is still good speeds have been increased both up and down so i'm happy. verizon is in my area but i am in an apartment and no fios is being directed there. it's alright i know their catering to the elite with nice homes. boooo verizon. comcast customer for life.

member for 13.2 years, 2040 visits, last login: 1.8 years ago