Comcast Formerly ATT Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by devjonfos See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
Good "Internet service seems competitive"
Bad "Video service is lacking"
Overall "Verizon FIOS might be better"

My apartment complex is wired for both Comcast Cable and Verizon FIOS and right when I was moving in, the Verizon FIOS installation was being completed. I decided to go with Comcast Cable since I was a previous customer at my former residence and the fact that I knew little about Verizon FIOS.

I initially got double-play, internet + video, for $59.99 a month. Speeds were approximately 6MB down/1MB up, but have doubled since they installed DOCSIS 3.0 in my area.

Now that I have completed one year with them, my rates are going up, but I did manage to threaten to switch to Verizon FIOS and get my internet rate down to $29.99 a month for another year (that's at the new 12MB down/2 MB up).

Here's my speedtest back in February: »www.speedtest.net/result/405327043.png

I am very happy with their internet service, but the video service is the same old meaningless spread of channels with a few HD channels. I would really like a video à la carte service since I only watch a handful of channels.

Verizon FIOS has been bugging me to switch and they seem to have a better internet service in terms of down/up speed and their video service is offering more HD channels.

I don't know. I can't decide yet. I may just get internet service and drop the video service, if that's possible with these providers.

member for 10.1 years, 1905 visits, last login: 7 days ago

Comments:

Review by pixarwolf See Profile

• Location: West Hartford,Hartford,CT
Good "never fail connection -"
Bad "price"
Overall "Never has failed - fast enough for my needs"

When I first started broadband with the old @home - I gave up - but with Comcast I have had no problems since install. The one time I thought I had a problem was due to my error - and the technician helped me quickly realize my error. Ordering service, is pushy to get you to sign up, but once installed with a new Motorola Surfboard SB5120 I have had no problems - and would highly recommend. The price is a little high but for a no hassle connection to high speed internet I like Comcast the best.

Comments:

Review by agaprazr See Profile

• Location: Salem,Marion,OR
Good "Very steady and reliable service since my last 4 reviews"
Bad "None since my last review"
Overall "Fastest online service available at my home at this time."

Original download speed was 4000Kbps, has since been upgraded to 6000Kbps with the same 384Kbps upload speed. I consistently get more than the 6000Kbps download speed and usually 360+/-Kbps upload speed. I have not had any problems with Comcast service since my last review. I am very happy with this cable internet service.

Above is my last review comment. Comcast as continued to provide me with very steady and reliable service. I have had no reason to contact tech support in the past year so I upgraded to a 5 in this category. I have been very satisfied with my Comcast service over the past year.

This is my 3rd annual review of my Comcast Internet service. Comcast continues to provide me with very steady and reliable service over the past year. I continue to be very satisfied with Comcast and have not had any issues that would cause me to look anywhere else.

2009 - This is my 4th annual review. Comcast upgraded the provisioned speeds to 13200 down and 2200 up for the same price. No notable problems with service this past year. I still say Comcast is the best for the money in this area.

Comments:

Review by PrinceDarkness See Profile

• Location: Conyers,Rockdale,GA
Good "Great speed, reliable service."
Bad "Prices could be lower across the board."
Overall "There the best in my area."

Still going strong, I've had to downgrade my service recently. Comcast was understanding and drop my speed down. My service is still top rate. For that I have to give them A+ rating. Keep up the good work Comcast.

Comments:

Review by lmarisy See Profile

• Location: Hialeah,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Very fast speeds"
Bad "Wish Blast! was available in my Area"
Overall "I like comcast i give em a thumbs up"

Moved to florida 3 years ago from new jersey and decided to give comcast a try, called them up and within 5 days i had the installed here to set me up, he did a nice job and gave me some RCA modem which i had up until last week when they came back and exchanged it for a motorola modem one of the black ones the rca finally went out on me, anyways 80% of the time my connection is solid and stable but when it decides to go out forget it, its out for hours it not days, all in all even though it rarely happens (with the connection that is) comcast is a good isp a bit pricey but hey they all are. im sticking with them.

Louie

UPDATE 3-01-2006

has been quite a few years now i have comcast and 3-6 modems later, (keep getting modems with issues) i finally have one thats seems to be operational enuff for me, not to the actual comcast service, to be totally honest the service isnt all that bad, WHEN IT WORKS , i have alot of downtime here in southern florida too much for my liking but what can i do, im gonna stick with comcast and see if they get their act straight...

Louie

UPDATE 07-24-2008

Here i am in florida still!! and still with comcast HSI, have been with them ever since the AT&T Days and for the past few years i have had some minor issues with my service but all in all its been rock solid, i now have the Phone servce thru comcast which is quite good, great voice quality no downtime at all, i know alot of people have bad things to say about comcast but i honestly cannot complain, i hgive comcat 10 thumbs up for reliablity !!

UPDATE 05-31-2009

Still with comcast and let me tell you not single issue in MONTHS!! solid as a rock, i did drop the TV/Phone service so im paying like 65 dollars a month now for 6 Megs down, still great!!!

Have a great summer everyone!!!

member for 13.8 years, 1469 visits, last login: 3.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by richdelb See Profile

• Location: Carpentersville,Kane,IL
Good "High speed - Great up time"
Bad "VERY poor customer service"
Overall "Comcast is outstanding, when everything works."

Since moving to Algonquin, Il. in April, my Comcast service has been very fast with great reliability.

Customer Service is still worst in the World. As long as you don't have a problem with your service, Comcast is great. Once you have ANY issue that needs customer service.... lots of luck.

Comments:

Review by rockets See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX

No longer with them.

Comments:

Review by lonnyb See Profile

• Location: Elizabethtown,Hardin,KY
Good "this is a fast, reliable connection"
Bad "I really can't think of bad points."
Overall "It is good"

Update 15Jun08

Smooth sailing. The connection is not in the 12 mbs as it was occasionally when the speedboost first started, but it is reliable. If I had to start with any ISP offered in this area, I would still choose Comcast.

Update 29Jun07

Comcast has speed boost in my area. What this means is speeds up to 15 megabytes for down load. It has tweaked up load to be almost always above 1 megabyte. I've noticed that speed boost doesn't always work, this could be due to an excessive number of simultaneous ongoing boosts.

Update 27nO6

Reliable connection. Bandwidth has improved. I still rate them "OK."

I have switched isp's from InsightBB to Comcast. It took forever to set up service and the first telephonic contact seemed to totally drop my account. Setting up was a breeze, though; even my home network was no problem. Comcast didn't force me to load some mysterious program on my computers. I just hooked up my router to their modem and all computers that I have started so far have worked just fine.

I have only had this connection for a few days I'll try to update this as needed.

It is now 21Apr06. The tested bandwidth has gone WAY down. I think they have over sold this node. My neighbors have hooked up to Comcast and uncovered part of my line. Both their line and part of my line have been unburied for months. Comcast must not have a good relationship with the line diggers. Other than these problems, things have been pretty good for me and my household.

It is now 24Apr09. No changes. I would rate their service as good. I have a rather odd by-the-way for you: my next door neighbor was have router problems and I was helping her and her family find a resolution. I did everything I could think of to help to no avail. I finally called Comcast to discover that my neighbor had chosen a service so low that Comcast blocks the use of any router. That seems strange to me. It seems that should be the prerogative of the customer - to use a router or not. If the bandwidth prevents effective use of a router, so-be-it; let the customer figure that out by performance issues.

member for 10.5 years, 3043 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mistakenID See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Good "reliable with consistant speeds"
Bad "price"
Overall "great for me, would be very hard to go back to dialup"

I can't comment on the days from order to success. A rep came by one day and talked to my wife, had her sign papers. She stated that she just wanted information for me because she knew I was interested in changing from dsl to cable. The rep told her ATT would contact us.

About a month later at 8am an installer shows up. I got the information I wanted at that time and told him to go ahead with the install. An hour later another installer shows up to install telephone service. I said HUH! Well long as your here tell me about the service. Go ahead and install that also.

The installers were great. Put in a new drop to the house and had internet up and running in short order. The phones are another story, while they work fine...billing was/is hilarious. I couldn't get a bill for months because I was told I have an account but it wasn't active, this is while I'm talking to ATT on their own service.

I was never down except for during the changeover from @home, service was a little sketchy for a few weeks but has been very good since. I'd rather have my old d/l speeds back but ATT is 3 times faster at the 1500 cap than my dsl and 15 bucks less per month. Uploads are half...i.e with dsl I had 256.

I run a lan through a linksys router, 4 systems ranging from a 200 pentium pro with linux to 866 pent3, Win98 SE and XP, have no problems.

I was supplied with a Toshiba modem which I used for a couple of months and then bought a Linksys. The changeover was painless and easy. Billing was corrected when I walked the modem in for return.

I've never used tech support so no comment on that either.

All in all I'm satisfied but if vpn is going to be an issue later I will have to go back to dsl. My wife needs it for work.

Update

The last 4-5 months have not been the reliable fast connection I had for the first year. Pings to the gateway are all over the place and have been up to 450ms, nothing like the 10ms I had for a year.

No problems staying connected, at least thats been reliable.

I'm not happy with the $7 a month increase for modem owners and it looks as if there may be another $10 increase with the att/comcast merger for NOT having basic cable. A $17 increase in 6 months is rediculous. I spend to buy a modem so they increase the bill. Then because I dont want/need cable I get penilized another $10.

I'ts criminal to jump from $35 a month to $54.95 and top it off with talk of data caps, no vpn and crap news.

If isp's implement this I will vote my opinion with my wallet and put the money towards longer vacations I lived without internet for a long time and I can do it again with no trouble.

Here we are a few years later...I've had to call tech support once. Call was answered quickly and questions answered. There have been a few outages that don't last long, usually early in the morning.

Speeds and connection are consistant, reliable and pings are generally under 100ms. I don't use the Comcast dns servers on my system but on the wife's system it seems like they work pretty well.

I did drop the telephone service and put $20 month toward a higher tier on our cell phones over 2 years ago. That was a good decision on our part. We never use all the minutes, no more soliciter calls and since all family members are with Verizon also, all our calls to each other are free. The only thing I miss is the ability to use my fax quickly.

Bottom line is Comcast has done a very good job for the past couple of years. The newest upgrade while not implimented yet will finally get me back to the upload and download speeds I used to have, although at $15 more a month. I am interested in the Comcast VoIP offering but I will not pay the premium price they are asking.

March 2006

Still with Comcast. Service continues to be reliable. I have had very few issues, no calls to support the past year. Speeds have increased again and are stable. I do get the slower tier because I still don't have cable tv. I will most likely move to Utopia when it is available but only because of the price. I have been fortunate to have a very good Comcast connection.

October 2007

Comcast HSI is still reliable and stable. Currently I have the 8/768 speeds due to signing up for a TV package 15 months ago. Reliability is the same, speeds are not as fast as advertised.

The initial TV/HSI package was around $82 for a year. It's now $126. The promo price is about what I feel the package is worth. I will likely be dropping the TV part and going back to Dish. I've had many more glitches with Comcast TV in a year than I had in 10 years with Dish. Changing will of course drop my internet speed but that is fine. For my needs, the slower speed is not a problem.

If Comcast will drop the TV price, I will stick with them but over $70 for the TV package with NO premium channels is just too much. The only good thing is it's easy to hookup another tv in a different room and no extra fee for the basic channels.

I think the Salt Lake market and employees are doing a great job. Seems to have less problems than many areas. I've had very good experience's with every Comcast employee in Salt Lake that I have talked to.

March 2009

I still have the same setup except I dropped from the 8 meg internet to the 6 meg. I never did get close to 8 megs but then I don't need it either, 6 meg is fine for what I do. Internet is still very reliable. I don't remember that last time there was a problem. TV on the other hand is pretty crappy sometimes. At times watching a show is pauses, lines of pixels, short blackout then picture comes back. Annoying! SNR and power level has been slowly creeping up since the original install. Nothing serious, well within limits but is changing. Connections and box are under long eves and never hit by rain, snow, just some afternoon summertime sunshine as it's on the north side, center of the house.

Eutopia has not gotten to my address yet and likely won't before I move. Was supposed to be here last year. I decided to just stick it out as we are planning on moving when the house sells. I still think it's too much money for the service, especially the tv part. I don't mind the $45 for internet but my total bill is over $120 with nothing but some Encore channels in with the tv package. I don't know what "tier" my tv package is. Something Comcast gave me when I first signed up but it sure isn't worth it.

member for 13.7 years, 2828 visits, last login: 1.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by jbunniii See Profile

• Location: Mountain View,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Overall pretty reliable and good download rates"
Bad "Inexplicable very very slow service during the week of 3/9/2009"
Overall "Seems to be the fastest residential option for now in Mountain View"

After a rocky period during the past few week or so, with painfully slow download speeds (100kbps and less at times), everything seems to be OK again; today I've been clocking downloads at 18-20Mbps.

Therefore I've updated this review and have for now shelved the idea of switching to DSL.

I'd like to say thanks to the user "ComcastSteve" who responded to my complaints about the service problem, at whose prompting I was contacted by a member of Comcast's "executive customer relations" to check whether everything is OK now. I'm not sure what these folks did to right the problem, but the service went from unusably slow to excellently fast overnight!