Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Comcast Formerly ATT Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by jbollyn See Profile

• Location: Hoffman Estates,Cook,IL
Good "It is likely not the poor installer's fault - he is 3rd party"
Bad "Blame CC - the Spawn of Satan!"
Overall "Buyer Beware"

There seems to be general confusion and misinformation about installing
a CableCARD in a TiVo Series 3 HD DVR. With this brief review, I hope to
save other forum members a bit of time.

1. Do NOT try to install a CableCARD yourself, by calling the
Comcast call center. The CC CSRs are not trained to do this, even though
they seem to think they are.

2. Call Comcast to schedule a truck roll. Tell the CSR you
ABSOLUTELY need *TWO* CableCARDs, even if the MCard is supposed to be a
dual tuner. In the TiVo Series 3 device, according to the TiVo website,
two cards are ABSOLUTELY required, regardless of card type (M or S).

Here is a quote from the TiVo website:

Two CableCARDs (either S-Cards or M-Cards) must be installed in the Series3 HD DVR and activated by your cable provider before you can view and record two digital cable programs at once (including high definition cable programs). If you install only one card, you will be able to view/record only one program at a time.

Many cable providers are installing only M-CARDs. Series3 HD DVRs require software version 8.0.1c or later to use M-CARDs. Some DVRs are shipped with an earlier software version, so be sure to run Guided Setup, as instructed below, before CableCARD installation.

(end quote)

That's it. If you would like to read more detail about my experience
setting up a CableCARD, here is the link:

»tinyurl.com/5gjbqh

IT Jay

(/end of rant)

Comments:

Review by backfeed See Profile

• Location: Peru,Miami,IN
Good "Speedy and reliable"
Bad "Hmmm....nothing right now"
Overall "Comcast does it right here."

It has been a while since I have updated the review. I still cannot complain. The usage caps have been announced at 250 Gb...I average about 30-40 Gig a month so I have some room to grow my usage. Powerboost works as advertised. Comcast gets a lot of bad press on this site and while I am sure there are real issues, I can not complain about the service here.
Arriss modem (digital voice), Linksys router with Tomato firmware.
Speed test tonight (with powerboost)
28 Meg down 2.54 up

Comments:

Review by Boraxo See Profile

• Location: San Ramon,Contra Costa,CA
Good "Fast appointment, fast install, everything works great"
Bad "Took 1 hour to order by phone"
Overall "Kicks butt over competition, well worth the price"

Had Comcast in SF, decided to order when I moved to the 'burbs.

It was a hassle free experience. Ordered Wednesday, installed Thursday. Tech was quite friendly, got everything working quickly, was up and running instantly with no wifi connection problems. Comcast is the best. Highly recommend. No way I would go back to DSL.

I ordered 6MB as part of "double play" package. Was supposed to cost $66/mo for cable and internet, but the CSR said the price had dropped to $60/month (guaranteed for 12mo). The teaser promos are cheaper for the first 6 mo. ($29/mo) but then increases to $42/mo. just for internet. Skip the "triple play" package as you can get local telephone service far cheaper than $33/mo.

Comments:

Review by mosesr See Profile

• Location: Lake Elsinore,Riverside,CA
Good "Free Speed Increases"
Bad "Need to call Service Retention in order to get new promo's"
Overall "As cost goes down and speeds increase = Best Value!"

01-30-06

I'm now back with Verizon DSL. The promo with Comcast has ended and the $14.95 with VOL can't be beat!

Update: 10/04/05

still with Comcast; have been on several promo's to get lower price. Comcast has done several things to remain competitive in my region by bumping up speeds, doing much better keeping service up and adding free value like software firewalls and anti-virus.

Like I said before I'm so far from Verizon's CO they really can't give me anywhere near the speed I'm getting on cable and even if Verizon FIOS was available the cost, for me, would be prohibited. Bottom line... Comcast has provided me the best service to date, I have no complaint's, really.

2nd time I have moved from Verizon DSL to Comcast Cable; reason was lack of speed from VOL due to the fact I'm to far from CO. I was paying $30 per month for 768/128 and getting much less...very poor value compared to $38 per month from Comcast with speeds 3000/256.

The bad part with Comcast is my promo price will jump to $56 per month because I don't have cable TV after 12 months. Hopefully they will offer me another promo and if not I'll be forced to go back to DSL VOL.

The other bad thing about Comcast is DNS access seems to not be nearly as solid as DSL/VOL. When accessing web pages you will get address can't be found very often and that could happen day or night but it isn't so bad that I have reported it. You can see numerous bitches about this here in the Comcast forum.

All I wanted was better speed for the $ and I'm getting that with Comcast!

member for 12.5 years, 937 visits, last login: 3.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by christos See Profile

• Location: Bridgewater,Plymouth,MA
Good "Always on"
Bad "Tech support, or lack there off."
Overall "Better than dial - up, still waiting on FIOS"

Their tech support is not always knowledgable. Luckily I had to use them very few times. Outages have been very minimal.

DSL is not very reliable in my street, so I am stuck with them I wish Verizon would hurry up and bring FIOS to my town. All in all I feel I get a good value for my money.

Comments:

Review by viterbi See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Dekalb,GA
Good "Cant think of any"
Bad "Turned off my service because I gave the technician a bad review after he failed to show up for the installation."
Overall "Avoid this piece of crap cable company...dont put yoursefl through this!"

Just avoid these people all together. Even the supervisors are impossible to deal with!

Comments:

Review by verse See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
Good "When stable speeds are fast."
Bad "horrible customer and technical service, They have no clue what they are doing, and always assume they are right."
Overall "When your connection is bad expect for the issue to resolve itself may take months."

Comcast has exceptional service, but flaws in the lack of well educated technical service. When your connection has a problem due to no sync at all meaning dead connection, well when you call you will most likely get an answer machine repeating, total wait time; "about 30 minutes"... ridiculous finally you just give up and wait for the connection to come back up. Now if you have connection issues do to packet loss and latency issues forget about it. If your a gamer you know latency is a big issue and packet loss, it causes you to lag like sheep! Anyway try talking to a tech support person on the phone, its horrible. They take you through the basic trouble shooting and then have no clue what you are talking about. They always assume they are right, and usually it sounds like a 70 year old lady reading straight out of a text book. Not only does this problem only affect your internet it also affects your on-demand and HDTV, with the images and sound always stuttering every 5 - 10 minutes. Its so annoying! Believe i'm still having problems. Too bad I can't get anything else here cause I don't want a phone line. Oh well its comcastic.

Comments:

Review by sclement See Profile

• Location: Spanish Fort,Baldwin,AL
Good "Consistent but relatively slow"

·AT&T DSL Service
Expecting 10Kb update which will compete with cable modem speeds

Comments:

Review by ObWAN96 See Profile

• Location: Saint Paul,Dakota,MN
Good "NONE NONE NONE NONE"
Bad "I pay for 4meg/400k - NEVER get close - see below today inconsistent - Terrible Support"
Overall "As soon as Quest is here I'm back to DSL where I belong!!!!!!"

Today is a bad day to have Comcast (happens about once a month or more)
Test Results today 9:00AM - 3:30PM (I can't get any work done so I'm shutting her down)

netAccess 473/41
speakeasy 306/34
broadstar 203/56
linkline 271/29
speakeasy (CA) 186/29

I've been a systems administrator for over 20 years. I have a very simple home/office network, Motorola SB4100 / NetGear Range Max / MAC G4 - built to to the hilt / 3 PC's none less then a P$ with 2Gig RAM - earliest OS Win 2K-Pro.

According to ComCast Support all is well on their end and it MUST be me! Have rebooted modem 5 times with as much as an hour downtime. Need I say more ???????

member for 11.7 years, 227 visits, last login: 6.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by bent See Profile

• Location: Longmont,Boulder,CO
Good "nice and fast when it works"
Bad "had some problems, but is ok now"
Overall "if they can keep the 100% (or close) uptime, i'll stay"

so i've had comcast for a while now, and i used to love it. lately, over the past month or so, the service has become very unreliable and very often super slow (i got a speed test result of 12/144 tonight! should be 3000/256, and when its working, it is.) I'm looking into my options, including wireless (i've heard good things about Mesa here in Longmont) If Comcast can't get their stuff together here, I'm gone. $55 is WAY too much to pay for speeds that are often in the 56k dial up range. I'm curious if anyone else here in Longmont CO (or elsewhere in Boulder county) is having these same problems?

update 12-23-04

so i've been having this problem intermitently for the past month or so. finaly, after having my work interupted for the god-knows-how-many-th time, i decided to call tech support and see what the problem was. the phone tech was able to ping me and duplicate the severe packet loss i was experiencing. he said that it was probably the modem, and that thwy would roll a truck to test and replace it if necessary.
that was on tues the 21st. my service call was schedualed for today from 4-6:00. after waiting for 2 hours, i called to find out where the tech was, and was told "your service call was canceled because there was a service outage in your area at the time of your complaint" no call, no show, nothing. if *I* did that at *MY* job, i'd be *FIRED* arrrggg i'm pissed. no other alternative, which makes it even worse i have a line monitor set up so i can document these constant service outages and get some of my $55/mo back.

update 1-03-05

go figure... not a single outage or slow down since i complained and set up the line monitor. i guess they fixed what ever it was that was causing the problem.

update 1-13-05

So it's been running at 100%, no noticeable slow downs. NOW i'm getting what i'm paying for... a very fast, very reliable connection. thanks Comcast

update 2-13-05

Over the past year, I've had some intermittent speed/reliability issues, but they seem to have fixed whatever was wrong, because I am getting advertised speeds on a regular basis now. Now lets see if can stay good for more than three months at a time.

update 10-3-07

Oh. man. My connections been great for a while now, but recently went to hell, with bad packet loss on the last 2 visible hops:
»/linequality/n ··· /2289983
»/linequality/n ··· /2289987

Comcast, to their credit, has admitted they have a problem here, but so far (couple weeks) no solution. As I've said before, the speed is decent, but god damn. Seagate and IBM both have good sized offices here, and with CU right down the road, suburban Boulder county isn't exactly the sticks.

Throw some money at your network here and retain some (mostly) happy customers.

update 6-24-08

Wow. they've managed to go almost a whole year with out pissing me off bad enough to write a review. Speeds are half or less than what they should be. Tech coming on Saturday.