Comcast Formerly ATT Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by b10010011 See Profile

• Location: Bellingham,Whatcom,WA
Good "Its OK when it's up"
Bad "Still sucks after all these years, high latency, frequent service outages, poor customer support"
Overall "If its your only choice for broadband then you are stuck with it."

Sucks but I am stuck with a government supported monopoly.

2014: Netflix streaming is next to impossible due to constant pausing and buffering.

2013, Still sucks, frequent intermittent service loss, but I have no other choice so what am I gonna' do?

Local cable lines must be held up with kite string as anytime the wind blows over 10 MPH the cable goes out and it takes them three days to put it back up.

If I had even ONE other choice for broadband I would leave Comcast in a instant.

I would leave Comcast for 640K DSL if I could get it!

Phone support sucks.

Two week wait for service call

Comments:

Review by MrFixitCT See Profile

• Location: Moncks Corner,Berkeley,SC
Good "not available here"
Bad "not available here."
Overall "not available here"

·Home Telephone
·AT&T DSL Service
not available here..

still not available here

Comments:

Review by Wuph_3 See Profile

• Location: Beaverton,Washington,OR

Purchased speed at 1.5Mbps....upgraded in installments to current advertised speed of 3Mbps for same cost. Actual speed fluctuates wildly to as low as 700Mbps.

Comments:

Review by JBParsons See Profile

• Location: Michigan City,La Porte,IN
Good "Speed is increased over time sometimes up to 20-30 Mb"
Bad "Eratic reliability, daily speed deterioration, high price, prices go up"
Overall "Necessary, but over priced"

I've had the service for many years - since it was made available as @home.. Initially it was very erratic for about a year; then it worked fine for several years. In 2002 ? service became very erratic again very slow with many outages for hours or days. Tech came and replaced outside line, inside line, connectors, splitters, filters, etc.and things were fine for close to a year.
More recently I loose the connection numerous times each day usually for only a few minutes at a time and sometimes longer. How do I know? By using dslreports.com to monitor my connection. By the time I call Comcast it works

It's Comcastic = High price Low value.

3/2010 Update.
On the plus side over time the speed has increased greatly frequently 20 M or more.
On the negative side it is very unreliable and sporadic. I loose my connection frequently. Speed tests show speed or 1-2M or lower! Rebooting modem usually jumps it to 20M (but not always) and then it deteriorates again during the day. Bad Modem? Bad Line? Who knows. Going to monitor with dslreports again for a while.

Comments:

Review by calvoiper See Profile

• Location: Belvedere Tiburon,Marin,CA
Good "fast, generally good connectivity"
Bad "really screwed up transfer; expensive; warm-weather glitches"
Overall "Would have done it differently--maybe DSL"

After a year or more with Comcast, I moved in the same town. Although my new location came with offers for Comcast discounts, I transferred so that my e-mail wouldn't get lost.

Bottom line: Although customer service claimed this didn't usually happen, my modem and my e-mails both fell out of their system. I just spent and hour and 45 minutes on the phone getting them all back up. I don't know why I would have been any different than any other transfer, except that I kept the same phone number. This resulted in some confusion about the accounts when talking to customer service.

So, in the meantime, I was without service for a while and my e-mails were dead for a while--returning as "user unknown".

With customer service, we got the modem re-registered in 30 minutes or so. However, I was told that the e-mails were a "trouble ticket" fix, and would take 24-72 hours. After demanding to talk with a supervisor, we got it fixed while I was on the phone (threatening to jump to DSL seemed to help.) It's also a good thing that I kept them on the phone--first my "principal" e-mail came up, then all of the sub-accounts EXCEPT the important one, and then the important one after a new round of "Do you understand how important this is?" questions from me. Getting the e-mails up took over an hour after the modem got recognized.

The real bummer is the cost difference I paid by passing up the discounts, just so this wouldn't happen. This experience has trashed what I previously considered to be a pretty good relationship. And all because the original CS rep lied about how easy it would be.

UPDATE: Occasionally, during what passes for very warm weather here (80-85 F) connectivity is lost. I'm convinced that it's something upstream from me (even refrigerating my modem doesn't help) but I can't seem to convince Comcast of this. When the temperature drops in the evening, it all comes back. I'm up to 6 meg downstream now.

UPDATE 3/2010: Still losing connectivity with warm weather; hoping that earlier start will raise attention to where Comcast changes out or cools the offending equipment.

calvoiper

member for 11.5 years, 1429 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by epro See Profile

• Location: Kirkland,King,WA
Good "This company is not the mother of my children"
Bad "Too many slick marketing tricks and poor customer relations"
Overall "Comcast is that better than nothing date to the prom. The ugly fat girl with buck teeth"

Good Luck

The quality of the internet service and connection is so/so. My speed is nowhere near the amazing speeds you see in the Comcast TV advertisements. Don’t be dazzled by speed, if there are quality issues. I often do DSLREPORTS speed tests where the ping rate exceeds 90ms. Unlike DSL, the ping rates and speed can fluctuate greatly with Comcast.

I have Vonage VOIP phone service, and when someone in the house is downloading, watching YouTube; Comcast Internet connection can’t seem to handle multiple use and causes my Vonage to have choppy calls.

Getting resolution to billing errors with this company has been frustrating, as there seems to be an endless parade of incompetence and/or intentional company misrepresentation.

I would urge extreme caution to anyone who purchases the Comcast service as a response to a promotional price or offer.

During the fulfillment of Comcast special offers, you may encounter, as I did representatives unaware of your specific promotion, initiated by other Comcast sales departments that is unique to your case. What I have learned is there can be hundreds of different promotions offered by Comcast’s multitude of sales channels. Because these matters involve Comcast employees and/or resellers, retailers and other 3rd party marketers who appear to only be trained for their specific department and duty, I am unable to fully accuse Comcast of fraud. However, when begin to look at the forest rather than a single Comcast tree; the elements for an elaborate systematic corporate bait and switch do seem to exist.

When attempting to resolve issues, every step of the way was met with a parade of Comcast reps who often spoke in Comcast-ese, a language intending to confuse and tantalize the customer. When that representative looks at your account and “fixes” what they found to be an error, and proceeds to communicate their disbelief as to how this could have happened; BEWARE.

Never allow or grant a Comcast rep to change your original promotion. They may tell you that your promotion doesn’t exist and they have a “similar” promotion they can provide you with.

Remember that each promotion is unique, and carries with it as you can imagine, it’s own slate of fine print and conditions. I recommend using a software program call MiaRec »www.miarec.com to automatically record all of your phone calls to Comcast. I’m not a lawyer, however when you call Comcast, their phone announcement states calls may be recorded and/or monitored. After each and every communication with Comcast, the audio of call should be thoroughly reviewed, and notes taken.

Update: 1/12/2010 Comcast has handled my account in the worst possible way. I feel like i am being raped again and again.

Comments:

Review by nlocklin See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "Fast, easy to get set up"
Bad "Dealing with a big ISP, getting kind of pricey"
Overall "Go somewhere else"

I ordered the 3 MB down/256k up package on a Monday from www.comcastoffers.com, got a free cable modem, a $50 gift card to Barnes and Noble, and $19.95 for 6 months (after which it is $40/month). The modem and self-install kit arrived by UPS on Friday, and I was up and running after a few hours of dealing with wiring issues (I live in an apartment building with ancient wiring and the old A/B cables... the trick was to hook the splitter up to the A cable and not the output from the box that joined the A&B cable).

So far I've been pretty happy with Comcast... we'll see how it goes!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------

Update Feb. 1, 2005:
My connection speed dropped to dial-up levels tonight. When I called Comcast technical support for assistance, the Comcast rep. got extremely upset. Apparently they have been doing "speed upgrades" in my area, and he told me he was "sick of all you f-ing idiots calling in to complain that our service wasn't working." He told me I could either wait "a couple days or a couple weeks" for the problem to be fixed, or he could send a technician out to my house who would probably not be able to do anything and that I would probably be charged for that call.

My apologies for being an "f-ing idiot" and expecting my service to work. I've never heard of a company's service rep's being so rude. I just don't understand it. Hopefully the service will be back up to normal in a few days, and I won't have to call again - talk about an unpleasant experience!

Update Mar. 7, 2005:
A Comcast rep. called me at home and said that they had identified a problem affecting the speeds of customers in my area after the upgrade and that it had been resolved. My speeds are back to being what they should be (I'm getting about 3.5 Mbps, which is about right for my setup).

member for 13.5 years, 2647 visits, last login: 2.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by nakedland See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Snohomish,WA
Good "None. Comcast is the worse"
Bad "Customer support. It sucks. Avoid Comcast"
Overall "Cable/DSL is the only way to go"

·Baja Broadband
I've been with cable since day one it was offered where I live. Then, it was TCI, later became @home and then ATTBI. (Now going to Comcast) In the beginning, it was a nightmire. Trying to get, and stay, connected was horrible. It was common to be down on a daily basis. Best part about TCI was it was local and you had local offices to visit when you needed help. @home took over and the connection problems lessened but the customer service sucked. ATTBI took over from there and the connection problems all but went away. I think we've only been down a couple times in the last year. Speeds have always been near the top of the range. And when we've had outages, they are quick to give credits when a customer asks. But, with the good comes the bad. Their customer service is the worse. They tend to talk down to their customers. Instead of truly listening and helping they tend to find words in what your saying and then read from a script. Your best bet for getting true help with someone who is listening is to get to Tier 2. Not many people know this. Thankfully, after becoming a cable pro, I've learned how to get to Tier 2 without ever dealing with Tier 1 folks except to get them to transfer me "upstairs". Since I've learned this route, II've never had a problem with their customer service. Comcast takes over soon. I sure hope they are good.

Update: Comcast service has been steady but their customer service sucks. They will read from scripts 99% of the time if you need to call for help. For folks that are new, like my mother, their rep's are no help and confusing.

If they improved their customer service, they'd be seen as a top notch comany.

One wish I've always had though is that we could get more cable competition in our area.

Update: If there was anything else available to us in our neighborhood, I'd drop Comcast. They are gone as soon as something else comes in to our neighborhood.

12/26/2008:

Comcast is gone for good. Even dumped the TV portion. Their service is horrible and reliability is even worse in our area. And watch your bill, last month they added almost a $100 extra to our bill, when confronted they said there wasn't an overcharge, when I pushed it further they looked at it more closely and realized they did overcharge.

Comcast is a joke and should never be considered over Verizon.

member for 12.4 years, 1936 visits, last login: 45 days ago

Comments:

Review by viterbi See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Dekalb,GA
Good "Cant think of any"
Bad "Turned off my service because I gave the technician a bad review after he failed to show up for the installation."
Overall "Avoid this piece of crap cable company...dont put yoursefl through this!"

Just avoid these people all together. Even the supervisors are impossible to deal with!

Comments:

Review by sclement See Profile

• Location: Spanish Fort,Baldwin,AL
Good "Consistent but relatively slow"

·AT&T DSL Service