Rock Island Technology Solutions page on DSLReports

Review by seagreen See Profile

• Location: Friday Harbor,San Juan,WA
Good "Occasionally I get the speeds I paid for"
Bad "Most of the time I don't"
Overall "Not worth the money"

Speed package: 3Mb/256K Wireless
Installation: $100.00
Monthly: $64.95 (or $755.40 if paid a year in advance)
Equipment purchase: $375.00 (optional; reduces monthly charge by $15)
Equipment: Motorola Canopy 900 mhz

Requested wireless service from Rockisland.com December 2008 and was initially denied. (They looked up my address on Google maps). When I wrote back and explained that I could clearly see their tower they sent out a technician. Installation went well and service was fairly decent and, initially, speedier than the local DSL offering (1.5 M/256).

Good Experiences: Occasionally I get the speed I paid for. Installation technician was good.

Bad Experiences: frequent outages not related to equipment I control. Download speeds are not even close to what they should be and average less than their lowest speed package.

No technical support on weekends. If there is a network outage on Friday night - it will stay down until somebody comes into the office on Monday morning and starts listening to the irate messages from their customers.

Download speeds average far below what I paid for: I've kept a spreadsheet of the speed tests I've done while using this service. The average of ~300 speed tests done more-or-less randomly in the 9 months since I've had this service is: 1405 Kbps down; 367 Kbps up. (Note: the upload speed does average higher than the package specs.)

Bottom line: This seemed like it might be a good (and speedier) alternative to Centurytel DSL which I had prior to getting Rockisland Wireless but it is not. This ISP is run like a hobby business.
They are closed after 5:00 pm. M-F
They are closed before 9:00am M-F
They are closed over holidays.
They are closed on weekends.
When they are closed, no tech support nor anyone else is available to deal with network issues.
They consistently fail to meet the speed levels their package suggests one might get.

member for 13.4 years, 6102 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cmos See Profile

• Location: Olga,San Juan,WA
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Service is above and beyond the call of duty. Great support on all platforms."
Bad "CenturyTel was slow to arrive at the remote end of this little island."
Overall "Got me some bandwidth !!!"

Hardware order to arrival: 3 days
Out of the box to connect: same day
Tweaks, bandwidth and security: 2 days
Speed test: 407/212
Grin: from ear to ear.

The speed is great for our location. We are 7 miles away from the
nearest town (pop 2260). There is a switch out in the forest somewhere.

Comments: