Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by wreck0 See Profile

• Location: Tulsa,Tulsa,OK
Good "I can view websites!"
Bad "Absolutely NOTHING ELSE!"
Overall "Wretched, putrid service."

Cox HSI, originally Cox @Home, in Tulsa, Oklahoma is quite possibly the worst cable provider in America.

I'll rate every aspect of it:

Installation -- average. The install was flawless, except for a problem with signal degradation to this cable jack (upstairs, two story house). This is about the only relatively good aspect of the service...

Tech. Support -- Tier 1 techs might as well be orangutangs. The only thing they can tell you is dribble that is pre-composed. Tier 2 techs are slightly more capable, however their hands are tied when the issue is overloaded service and/or bad routers.

Onsight Support -- The technicians that have came out to my house shouldn't be certified for driving, much less servicing my cable. If I'm having line degradation problems, the only thing they can do is change the filters, or run the 'net diagnostic tool on my PC, neither of which accomplish anything.

Download Speeds -- My download speeds have gone from the upper 300k/sec (the first 5-6 months of the service, when it was @Home) down to the 50s (average .. dips below and above). It takes decades to switch between pages. Granted, it's still moderately better than 56k, it's not what I'm paying for.

Latency, Routing, Gaming, etc. -- I bought my service for one thing: low pings in games. Cox HSI is a NIGHTMARE for gamers. Their service is so completely overloaded & badly routed, that servers I once pinged in the teens to are well into the 80s. I go all over the nation before I reach my designations (25+ hops to servers that were once in the 10-15 range) -- AND these pings aren't even during peak times. From 8:00-12:00 at night, I might as well throw my computer out of the window.

The price has gone up since it was an @Home project and I feel like I am being completely reamed. Once upon a time the service was fantastic, even for gaming, but it has slowly degraded into vile.

I will be switching my service to SDSL 384k/384k within the month. I'd rather have ~42k/sec download rates & excellent ping times than 20-150k/sec download rates & ping times off the charts.

member for 12.6 years, 160 visits, last login: 5.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by MoH Burton See Profile

• Location: Mesa,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Fast Downloads, Great for Gaming, Great to share across the lan, Very Minimal if any packet loss"
Bad "256k upload cap, soon to be upped to 500k"
Overall "It's Worth it, It may take them awhile to install their new equip to make your connection full workable better than dialup tho"

I waited 3 years to get service from Cox, well not them specifically anyhting I could get I was so sick of dialup, DSL Never became avalible and still isnt...My neighborhood was the the last in the whole metro area that it became avalible in...the tech said that they knew the lines around here were very bad and kept putting off the fiber opt upgrade...as far as gripes thats my only one that it took so long for me to be able to recieve the service...oh and that the up is capped @ 256k but I was informed that it is soon to be raised to 500k.

The first day I knew the service was availibe I called up and also ordered digital cable for the TV... the response was blazing the next day the subcontractor was out and ready to install, they were very competent and knowledgable, of course I would have prefered to do it myself but I didnt feel like getting in the attic to run co-axial cable...I use a motorola SB4100...its nice I bought it myself...I have great pings in games, great surfing, and great downloads... and my 3 computers on the lan can all do seperate things with out bogging down eachother... I'm very happy with the service and recommend it to others, I put about 3.2mbs on the speed test.

And I read some gripes about their service and I think in areas they are upgrading there equip and changing over from roadrunner, or @home... so if you have it and your having trouble give it time they will get it resolved.

Comments:

Review by Scubasteve27 See Profile

• Location: Tiverton,Newport,RI
Good "speed is incredible,doesn't change during peak."
Bad "none"
Overall "this is a great value for 35$"

i ordered cox hsi about 2-3 months ago, and i called and then 3 days later i was up and runing. intallation took about 5 minutes. I recently had verizon dsl 768/128, and yah it was alright, but cable kicks its a$$ so much. here where i live the cap is at 3000/300. Pretty decent, i started around 2.6 mb/290kb. not to bad however i wanted better d/l speed. so i d/l drtcp and realized that my rwin was SUPER low. so i changed it. Now im getting 3000 and higher/290-300(still). But im above the "cap" so i figured that its pretty good. Anyways, COX Hsi is doign very good, beats all other providers in and near my area.
my comp specs are compaq presario 5000, p4, 1.5 ghz processor, 512 ram, 40 gig HD. i had some new cable installed too so all those might contribute to thsi speed. my modem is a Toshiba PCX 2000, i bought it myself. they say dynamix ip but mine hasnt changed yet. Overall i am extrenmely pleased with
here r some results from boston and dallas.

»/speedtests/31···easy.net

»/speedtests/30···easy.net

member for 12.6 years, 16 visits, last login: 12.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by irev2103 See Profile

• Location: Mission Viejo,Orange,CA
Good "Fast, fast, fast, fast and uh... fast..."
Bad "DNS server was terrible for about a month"
Overall "best ISP out there"

I have a user limit of 3000mbit down 256kbit up, i hit that all day to both of the DSLREPORTS bandwidth test sites, my ISP peer's with ATT backbone for data that is on ATT's backbone, and everything else, LEVEL3.net

LEVEL3.net was the best move cox has made. SUCH a fast ISP because of it. 1 hop from point of presense to new york, europe, asia, or any major US city. AMAZING. Ping time in multiplayer games are approx 10-30. I couldn't be any more satisfied. I hope nothing ever changes, the speeds are amazing, the tech help, amazing... when it was @home, it was terrible. Im so satisfied with cox hsi

Just updating

the DNS problems are GONE. Still have amazing speeds aswell.

Comments:

Review by sthibert See Profile

• Location: Pawtucket,Providence,RI
Good "Good Speed, Reliable Connection"
Bad "Upload cap, long hold time for tech support"
Overall "Good value for the money, and faster than DSL"

Cox HSI @ 34.99 per month - Modem was $150.00 - spread payment over 3 months. IP was static before @home went bust, but my LinkSys router keeps the lease, and I have had the same IP for over 4 months. I used their refer-a-friend program, which is supposed to credit you one month of service for each friend you sign up, but that was back in January, and they have not credited my bill yet after 4 phone calls. Speed is good, especially after installing the registry patch. Me and my friends average 1.5Mbp-3.0Mbs on speed test sites.

Long hold time during the transition from @home to Cox HSI - over 1 hour to reach 1st level support.

Overall, very happy with the price & service. Dislike upload cap.

Comments:

Review by adminx4 See Profile

• Location: Norman,Cleveland,OK
Good "no special software required; no login required"
Bad "Everything else...everything"
Overall "The worst ISP I have EVER had, I used my back up dialup connection half the time."

One of the worst ISP experiences EVER. Their technicians have no clue what is going on. First I had slow speeds and interrupts. So they put new lines in and replaced the cable modem (p.s. they recycle their modems, so if customer X has a problem, the will give X modem to the next customer with a problem, so they just move the bad modems around their customers, instead of fixing them). Time period: 4 months to correct the problem; 9 techs came to my house, and about 20 tech phone calls during that time.

Then they dropped one of my IPs. I am paying extra for 3 IPs and they are only giving me 2. Their answer/fix: "there is nothing we can do" what?!

Then on top of that there is severe packet loss in one of their routers (my second hop out) After their technicians confirm my suspicions of an overloaded router, instead of fixing the problem, they block all ICMPs to it, making the problem WORSE!

"Packet loss? Oh, no big deal" you say? Well CISCO says: "Any internet with high speeds and packet loss can be slower then a slow speed connection with no packet loss"

Packet loss corrupts data...so if you are downloading any files over a few MegaBytes, don't expect it to work ;^)

Packet loss interrupts your service...so if you play online games...forget it, you'll be dead before you even knew there was an enemy in range!

Worst ISP ever, the worst customer service ever, the worst experience ever.

I have been with cable modem in Norman, OK since the first week it was available with Multimedia Cable, I had 4 IPS, 5 emails, >1200KBs downloads, >128KBs uploads about 98% uptime. Then RoadRunner/Cox bought out/acquired Multimedia: I was knocked down to 3 IPs and 3 emails, download speed went to ~800KBs, upload was capped at 32KBs, and about 94.3% uptime. Now Cox HSI took over, and I have 2 IPs, 3 emails, ~750KBs down, 32KBs up, serious packet loss, and only 76.4% uptime. (I run a perl program that calculates uptime) And the price has actually gone UP!

Both the DNS, and e-mail servers were always up, provided all other services were working. The newsgroups were the slowest POS I have ever connected to, however.

This was a self-install when I got it with Multimedia Cable; smooth, easy install. Don't know about Cox' install. All IPs are dynamic, and use DHCP. Home equipment:

Surfboard 4100 (I had to buy my own, because none of theirs work, since they were never fixed from the earlier calls, before replacing mine)

3com 3c905b-tx-n / Windows 2000

3com 3c905b-tx (boomerang) / Linux 2.2.19

I should have my DSL connected shortly with Southwestern Bell (and they offer so much more, and even allow you to have your own servers) :^)

I had DSL sometime ago with Bell Atlantic before using Cable here, and that DSL was faster then Cox HSI.

Comments:

Review by anitalala See Profile

• Location: Tempe,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Speedy installation"
Bad "I am down all the time!"
Overall "I wish I had other choices"

I've been reading the other reviews and I see complaints about packet losses and low speeds. I wish I had those problems! Everything was fine for about a month and after that all hell broke loose! My service has been up and down like a rollercoaster. I have talked at least 20 service techs, I had 4-5 service calls but no one seems to be able solve the problem. (When I lose Internet connection, I get the IP address of 0.0.0.0 and the following message when try to renew: "Unexpected network failure or insufficient access". All the lights are on on the modem. ) I've had the modem changed, NIC changed, cable changed, etc. Still having the same problem. I wonder if anyone else has experience something similar.

member for 12.6 years, 26 visits, last login: 11.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by fuzzyfuk See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "NONE"
Bad "SLOW ASS HELL"
Overall "FUCKING RIP OFF"

THEY LIED THOSE FUCKS ITS SLOW ASS HELL

Comments:

Review by joe33337 See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "fast when working correctly"
Bad "had to pay for a new modem that cox should have payed for"
Overall "they are good but took so long to fix a modem problem"

Had many techs come out to fix the problem....finally after 4 techs came the last one found of that my modem wasnt working properly and we had to get a new modem. Called cox and they said it wasn't under warrenty. But i figure that they couldn't fix the problem for so long that it wasn't working right even under contract they just couldn't find the problem until the warrenty was out.

member for 12.6 years, 102 visits, last login: 12.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by wonk1 See Profile

• Location: Scottsdale,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Fast, cheap"
Bad "None for far"
Overall "They provide a clean TCP/IP connection with no hidden caveats"

[Begin Update 6-3-2]

Well, I'm still enjoying 4.1 meg reports from bandwidthspeedplace.com. The service is great! No regrets. [End Update 6-3-2]

[Begin Update] Well, I have had the service for about 3 months now. I am still digging it. I went to Bandwidthspeed place and ran the test. I get 3.9 to 4.1 every time. There was a stretch of about 6 days where the DNS went down quite a bit and about 2 days where the cable modem wouldn't synch up at all. I called COX and a fellow came out and checked the cabling to my house. He said everything looked ok, but that COX was replacing a node... It turns out I was on that node. They fixed it that day and my speeds went up a bit as a result. I am considering hijacking a DNS server if COX's DNS server goes down again. And nope, I don't regret dumping DSL. I was one of the first subscribers to DSL and I had it for 3 years. I don't need to be educated about A/V/R/DSL or any of the other flavors. Until someone besides Qwest can provision my line, I won't do business with them. Customer service is terrible, the service has degraded since the demise of USWest, and their sneaky deal with MSN made me hurl big chunks. Anyway, I'm downloading files at 350-475 kbs for LESS than the cost of DSL-- And my best download speed with the higher-priced DSL was 80kbs. [End Update]

[Begin UPDATE] I have had the service for a month now and I'm still digging it. There was an issue in which a splitter needed to be changed, but that has been it. I still recommend them.[End UPDATE]

I just got COX HSI. It works great! I called and ordered the service. They asked me for a good time to come out and do a quick connect. I made the appointment and the service tech came by as promised. I had purchased a Linksys modem off of the internet and it works well with the service. So long DSL, it was great for the last 3 years, but COX is faster and cheaper. I'd like to give a shout out to Deru Internet in Scottsdale, Arizona. They provided great ISP for my DSL while I had it.

member for 12.9 years, 58 visits, last login: 12.1 years ago