Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by joshpava See Profile

• Location: Vista,San Diego,CA
Good "Fast connect time, connection is fast!"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Go for it, this ISP rules"

My speeds are running about 3000 kbps down and about 300 kbps up. No complaints at all. Everything worked like clock work! Go for Cox HSI if you're in the San Diego area, given the opportunity.

One thing I did notice was that my ethernet cable (which worked fine with DSL) did not work when made the connection between my computer and the cable modem. But, then I switched to their supplied cable and it worked instantly.

member for 12.9 years, 50 visits, last login: 12.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by hondasbest See Profile

• Location: Smithfield,Providence,RI
Good "@Home was great."
Bad "Cox.net is horrible. / Tech support bad."
Overall "They need to fix the download.. barly getting 300K down.."

Level 2 tech telling me to delete MP3 Files.. I'll start there.

Pinging the default router and anything better than 50MS he can't do anything? 50MS for a default ROUTER are you kidding..

The speeds have gone from 2mbit (@home)down to below 500K consistantly. They don't seem to want to send a tech out. One town over from me (cox.net) I have people getting 3MBIT down. Don't know what gives.

Comments:

Review by Prydar See Profile

• Location: Enfield,Hartford,CT
Good "Hmm....wish I had something to put here"
Bad "Incredible Amounts of Packet Loss"
Overall "Awful, Awful service. Go with DSL in this area if you can!"

I was on the @home network in Enfield, CT until they switched over to the Cox HSI network at the end of January/beginning of February. It's been hell ever since.

Come, join me in this journey of madness, packet loss, and awful customer service.

After waiting a week of crappy service, thinking, "Hey, maybe they're just in a transitional period." I gave them a call. I learned quickly that level 1 support is useless. They know how to ping a gateway and umm....double click. I think that's the requirement for the position. "Hey, can you double click a mouse?" "Yeah?!" "You're hired!"

So if you have to call, just skip the level 1. Just tell them you're calling about a previous issue, and please speak to a level 2 technician.

So, I call them, and tell them my troubles. They do some traceroutes with me and pings and such, and tell me that they'll work on the problem from their end and get back to me. So, I wait.

Days go by, no improvement. I keep calling, this time with traceroutes of my own I've done. Some servers in Nebraska or something with netblock 68.9.8.* is causing me packet loss. It's like the third hop (The Lord only knows why my connection from CT has to go to Nebraska to get to the DNS server in Atlanta).

So, after various calls, and 2 visits to my house where they sat down and just pinged the gateway themselves, nothing is better. I'm sitting here at 3:00 AM, which is _really_ off peak time, and still getting this:

Request timed out.
Reply from 68.9.8.13: Destination host unreachable.

Also, for some odd reason my first hop is 100% timing out on traceroutes. What's up with that?

Cox HSI is absolutely awful in CT. I'm gonna go put in my old 56K. This is pathetic.

Please please please, if you're in the CT area and having trouble, keep calling them at 18882776560. Every time they send out a technician to your house, it costs them $100 (what the technician told me), so if we do it often enough, and complain enough, maybe they'll get their act straightened out.

Comments:

Review by kwik4 See Profile

• Location: Pineville,Rapides,LA
Good "It's cable, broadband beats dial-up any day."
Bad "Slow for cable, 1024/128 ... That's about 3 to 4x's slower than others for the price. Plus, now they're port blocking."
Overall "Faster than dial-up!!! They need to increase their bandwidth .. DSL is moving into our area."

I've been with Cox since they started bata testing in my area and at first there were a great deal of problems. The problems with tech support and the local techs has been fixed. They've had four years (i think) of practice working with broadband. It's been a few years now and Cox can actually live up to the 1024/128 speeds that they offer and for the price of $40. However, they should do more to up the bandwidth in my area. I've got friends on RR and DSL 100 miles away and they're running 3 to 4x's faster for the same price. A couple of last comments;

From what I've read and managed to get outta the Cox tech reps P2P programs are being blocked. In my area WinMX will no longer connect nor will eDonkey or Limewire. I have always been able to use P2P's if I wanted to in the past but those days appear to be over. Check out this link to see what other user's on dslreports are saying. »[WinMX] help

Last, if you do get Cox Express in this area and plan on using the News groups alot my suggestion to all that might read this is to subsrcibe to another news service. Cox gets their offlease from Supernews and the download speed is capped at 16kbs which is horrible.

I still give Cox a 3 outta 5 ratting overall but that's just because it's high speed compared to dial-up. DSL is now accross town from me and it wont belong and they be in my area and if the speed beats 1024 i'm gone.

member for 12.8 years, 162 visits, last login: 6.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by sultan21 See Profile

• Location: Santee,San Diego,CA
Good "speed, tech support, reliability"
Bad "won't fish walls"
Overall "Glad I live in a Cox service area"

I've been a customer since October of last year. My average speed before the conversion was around 1Mbps down and 200Kbps up. Post-conversion, my speeds are well over 2Mbps/256Kbps. I rent the Toshiba 1100 modem from Cox and I am connected through a D-Link DI704 cable/dsl router. Prior to the conversion I already had it configured for DHCP so the network switch was seamless to me. I e-mailed them asking when my area would be switched to the new network. Their reply was, "Our records indicate that network conversion for your area was complete on February 16." Funny thing is, I e-mailed them on February 22. Can you say, seamless? What a horrible ISP! They charge me the same rate and then double my speed? Crazy people, I'm switching to PacBell DSL so I can wait over a week for installation and have slower speeds. I talked to sales on a Tuesday morning and, lo and behold, a technician arrives 30 minutes early, the next day. When I swapped my nic into a new pc, the drivers were conveniently located on the Cox cd. Of course, I happened to have purchased a D-Link card that they install themselves. The outages must stop, however. Since my installation I've experienced at least zero days of service interruption. Mail servers? It sometimes takes me one attempt to get my mail, on a good day I have to try once. Overall, the only thing I wish they would do is fish walls. However, I understand the difficulty involved in providing this service.

Comments:

Review by shrapwf See Profile

• Location: Omaha,Douglas,NE
Good "Fast DL's"
Bad "Horrible usenet feeds, usenet dl caps"
Overall "If you live and die for usenet, at this time don't go with Cox. Don't use the install CD it screws your system up!!"

The download/upload speeds in Omaha are great! Except for the horrible usenet feeds and service.

Cox has a bitcap on their newsfeeds to you the customer at 384kbps per session. This means that instead of being able to max out your connection to dl something off of the newsgroup, you are forced to sit there and endure slower than dial up speeds. The whole reason I came to cable in the first place was so I could speed along the Internet faster than anyone else. Frag that guy in Quake a millisecond faster than he sees me, dl programs and updates in seconds, be able to archive entire newsgroups on my own machine. Instead of putting a cap on the amount of data that you are allowed to dl in a given time, they decide it is better to just slow you down to a crawl.

All of this assumes that you can of course connect to the news servers. Half the time one of the three servers cox has is down and article completion, even in text groups is the pits! I have seen on more than one occasion a reply to a post BEFORE the post shows up on the server.

The bitcap rate was implemented by the corporate boys back in Atlanta, Cox's headquarters, with no horizon or timetable of when or if the caps would be phased out. I will give them more time, but when @Home went belly up and Cox came out and claimed that they would provide the SAME level of service that we got with @Home, and even improve the service, and then not follow up is just ridiculous, and reckless.

Several people I have talked to and have read in usenet postings on the whole situation are abandoning Cox services; ie dropping digital telephone, digital cable, and/or canceling premium movie channels, and paying for their usenet feeds. If the ISP cannot offer acceptable basic Internet services; web browsing, email, newsgroups, ect. then they should not be in the ISP biz at all. I hope I do not have to join the ranks of people who have to go to DSL or cancel service because usenet is one of the foundations of the Internet.

member for 12.8 years, 35 visits, last login: 11.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by TKO_VISION See Profile

• Location: Virginia Beach,Virginia Beach City,VA
Good "Fast Down/Up, No Downtimes, Good Local Tech Support"
Bad "Installiation disk...Not Needed"
Overall "COX HSI In Va Beach (23456) Rules!"

This was my first time having a broadband connection. I had to beg me dad to get it because I couldn't stand 56k pings anymore. Cox came out with a good deal: $29.95 Installation, and 1 month free, including modem. *NOTE* This was when they were Cox@Home. So my dad said ok and we ordered it that day over the phone on a friday. Well the person said they would be here in a week (next friday) between 4-6. The guy was here on friday at around 5:30. He had me online in 30 min. The only service interruption I have had, was when @home went down, and cox switched to their servers. They built their new servers and made the software in 14 days! Im not saying thats a good thing, but I have not had any other problems sense. Also a note to anyone getting COX HSI, DONT LET THEM INSTALL THAT SOFTWARE! Its all bugs, and it serves no purpose. Like i said, they had it all made in 14 days! Other than that COX HSI is AWSOME!

member for 12.7 years, 57 visits, last login: 11.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by rke See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "speed is good"
Bad "during the changeover, service was poor"
Overall "I think it will be ok in time."

I asked what is their advertised speed. I got an email back explaining near everything about how cable works. But nowhere in that message did they say what speed I was paying for. My speed is ok I just wanted a straight forward answer.

Not to be this time around, I'll ask again.

member for 13.3 years, 14 visits, last login: 11.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by pyxidium1 See Profile

• Location: Tulsa,Tulsa,OK
Good "Very Fast Connection ... makes DSL look like dial-up"
Bad "A few minor network problems to be sorted out .. no big deal, Mail servers are a bit flakey .. but give it time"
Overall "Definately worth $45/month .... in my book"

Signed up for HSI back when Cox was an @home partner. As we all know, @home went belly up and forced Cox to design/test/troubleshoot/debug it's own high speed internet backbone. A project which would have normally taken them 6 months, and were in the process of doing just that, except they did it successfully in a little over 6 weeks! with no major outages or interruptions of service (at least not in my area). Down-time was probably only a few hours at the most, and this was at the very beginning. Hasn't happened since.

A little bit about Cox HSI: I have a 3000/300 cable line, which in short means that my max download speed is @ or around 300Kb/sec (most of the time is well over this) ... and my upload speed is @ or around 30Kb/sec (which too, is most of the time above this). For $44.95/month I get this blazing speed plus a Motorola Surfboard 3100 model Cable Modem which sits nicely on my computer desk and blinks frequently. (hehe .. I do a lot of downloading & such). The cable modem has never flinched since I had it installed - very reliable piece of equipmenet. Dynamic IP ... although it has never changed since Cox HSI was installed.

Undoubtedly, the install is a breeze. The techs are fairly knowledgable, and although I work on computers myself, I still see them as "rookies". If you do have Cox HSI installed and are fairly knowledgable about computers ... just tell the tech all you want done is sync on the modem. From there, it's pretty simple to configure your computer WITHOUT having to install the silly little Cox HSI disk. Set up your ethernet adapter/NIC to obtain IP addresses automatically (this is usually referred to as DHCP). That's really all there is to that part. As for setting up E-mail ... you can do it 2 ways. If you like the webmail way then use it ... or you can go into Outlook/Outlook Express/Eudora and set up your e-mail account using the standard Cox HSI mail servers (these are listed in the Cox HSI manual).

Pretty Simple if you ask me .... makes it very easy to re-configure if ever something does go wrong with your PC, you're forced to format & reload everything & you don't have the patience or refuse to wait a few days for the same rookie technician to come out & set up your computer again.

Over all ... I would have to say that Cox HSI is the best bang for your buck here in the Tulsa Metro Area ... awesome speed @ at an awesome price.

member for 12.8 years, 116 visits, last login: 11.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by GuTTerBoY See Profile

• Location: Glendale,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Still fast as ever, still reliable"
Bad "Couple connection losses...nothing big"
Overall "Good service in my area, well worth the money still"

I have been on Cox HSI for about a month and 1/2 or so now. I was ofcourse switched from @home, it happend back in January. The transition was almost un-noticable and hasn't changed my performance and reliability. Getting speeds generally around 3000k/down and 280k/up, so my connection has actually gotten a little better on the upload side. I've had probably 2 DNS problems that lasted not long and a couple times my modem has lost sync but come back up almost right away. I'm holding out hope that it will remain this way for a long time to come. If anything bad happens I'll be sure to post it though. Other than that, kudos to Cox in my area for keeping my connection good.