Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by pyxidium1 See Profile

• Location: Tulsa,Tulsa,OK
Good "Very Fast Connection ... makes DSL look like dial-up"
Bad "A few minor network problems to be sorted out .. no big deal, Mail servers are a bit flakey .. but give it time"
Overall "Definately worth $45/month .... in my book"

Signed up for HSI back when Cox was an @home partner. As we all know, @home went belly up and forced Cox to design/test/troubleshoot/debug it's own high speed internet backbone. A project which would have normally taken them 6 months, and were in the process of doing just that, except they did it successfully in a little over 6 weeks! with no major outages or interruptions of service (at least not in my area). Down-time was probably only a few hours at the most, and this was at the very beginning. Hasn't happened since.

A little bit about Cox HSI: I have a 3000/300 cable line, which in short means that my max download speed is @ or around 300Kb/sec (most of the time is well over this) ... and my upload speed is @ or around 30Kb/sec (which too, is most of the time above this). For $44.95/month I get this blazing speed plus a Motorola Surfboard 3100 model Cable Modem which sits nicely on my computer desk and blinks frequently. (hehe .. I do a lot of downloading & such). The cable modem has never flinched since I had it installed - very reliable piece of equipmenet. Dynamic IP ... although it has never changed since Cox HSI was installed.

Undoubtedly, the install is a breeze. The techs are fairly knowledgable, and although I work on computers myself, I still see them as "rookies". If you do have Cox HSI installed and are fairly knowledgable about computers ... just tell the tech all you want done is sync on the modem. From there, it's pretty simple to configure your computer WITHOUT having to install the silly little Cox HSI disk. Set up your ethernet adapter/NIC to obtain IP addresses automatically (this is usually referred to as DHCP). That's really all there is to that part. As for setting up E-mail ... you can do it 2 ways. If you like the webmail way then use it ... or you can go into Outlook/Outlook Express/Eudora and set up your e-mail account using the standard Cox HSI mail servers (these are listed in the Cox HSI manual).

Pretty Simple if you ask me .... makes it very easy to re-configure if ever something does go wrong with your PC, you're forced to format & reload everything & you don't have the patience or refuse to wait a few days for the same rookie technician to come out & set up your computer again.

Over all ... I would have to say that Cox HSI is the best bang for your buck here in the Tulsa Metro Area ... awesome speed @ at an awesome price.

Comments:

Review by GuTTerBoY See Profile

• Location: Glendale,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Still fast as ever, still reliable"
Bad "Couple connection losses...nothing big"
Overall "Good service in my area, well worth the money still"

I have been on Cox HSI for about a month and 1/2 or so now. I was ofcourse switched from @home, it happend back in January. The transition was almost un-noticable and hasn't changed my performance and reliability. Getting speeds generally around 3000k/down and 280k/up, so my connection has actually gotten a little better on the upload side. I've had probably 2 DNS problems that lasted not long and a couple times my modem has lost sync but come back up almost right away. I'm holding out hope that it will remain this way for a long time to come. If anything bad happens I'll be sure to post it though. Other than that, kudos to Cox in my area for keeping my connection good.

member for 13.3 years, 832 visits, last login: 9.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by cap209 See Profile

• Location: Virginia Beach,Virginia Beach City,VA
Good "Blazingly fast Internet, Low price compared to DSL"
Bad "If problem is handed over to Maintenance it may be 3 weeks for repair"
Overall "They seem to be more concerned with installs than current users."

My signal strength has went from, as the install tech stated: "You have one of the highest signals i've seen" to the last tech trying to figure out why I have no signal stated "The main signal out at the box is not strong enough". There is no new construction around me to damage the existing cable, so what reduced the signal strength? My personal view is that they have added too many users to the hub/router I'm connected to therefore reducing the signal strength to the point of my modem not picking it up anymore. I was turned over to maintenance over a week ago and I am still down. Maintenance of course, is not on the same "on-time-guarantee" that tech support is. I have called everyday and was told by someone last night that it may be 3 weeks or so before they get to it. Do you think this is because they are too busy with more installs? It sounds like the ole Microsoft theory, Get the money for the product first, then worry about the product second.

Comments:

Review by thornnnn See Profile

• Location: North Kingstown,Washington,RI
Good "download inside cox domain is fast and appears uncapped"
Bad "uploads or downoads anywhere else are around twice a dialup speed 11k - 30k cps upload 30k download"
Overall "i hope they replace the smoke signal equipment they connect to the internet backbone with ."

i've had service to a second ip discontinued without my knowlege
billing on such service was not interupted
i've had the entire service disconnected
oops wrong customer sorry
again billing was not interupted (just the physical connection)
they have you tear apart your lan network for COX issues .. like you can ping gateway but not dns and you cannot connect to web .. or modem had incorrect info so you cannot stay connected longer than 3 min without interuption
otherwise the problem has to be proven it's not your network first .. before they consider the problem may be on their end.. even when u know what your talking about and they dont.. a 1 min solution cannot be considered .. MUST follow the proceedure mentality .. no common sense over ride
they hang up on you .. for me it was over 10 hour period (of no internet service) with phone to my ear they hung up 3x so i called sales.. no wait.. perfect connection.. and complained .. but my complaint had changed from no service to customer abuse..
when it is damp outside (rain).. the speeds drop to dialup speeds ..
worst of all .. they are the only high speed option in the state of Rhode Island .. unless you are lucky enuf to live within close proximity for dsl

someone save us .. i want my @home back

other info
~$65 per month includes second ip
dynamic ip
few weeks for install
few days to week or more for service visit

on the good side ..

speed tests for cox's domain are in excess of t1 speeds for download
not sure of upload speeds but sending a file to myself i got 80kcps (is that good for cable) hahaha
mabye this is temporary.. cus of @home switch over

any dsl isp's out there READ THIS .. this place is RIPE for stealing customers

Comments:

Review by PineyCreek See Profile

• Location: College Station,Brazos,TX
Good "Good technical support, when you can get through the phone traffic"
Bad "Quality is horrible, reliability is horrible"
Overall "Go for Verizon, they're stable."

I'm switching to Verizon DSL. It may cost more, but it's stable. It's Feb. 14th today. So far, over the course of January and February, the service has disconnected 15 times for various amounts of time, ranging from a minute to 3 hours. They came and replaced the equipment, but there was no effect. Also, just this month, they raised the price. It WAS 39.95, but now it's 44.95. Let me go ahead and mention the fact that you have to get their crappy basic cable to get cable modem service.

Comments:

Review by data riker7 See Profile

• Location: New Orleans,Orleans,LA
  • CLEC party: BellSouth
Good "good install, and very fast"
Bad "no tech support"
Overall "good value"

This review is for cox.net, and not cox express. I ordered the only service cox offered in my area, which is rated at 3000 down and 256 up. I was a bit nervous about what speeds to expect because my digital cable cuts out all the time. generaly, not a good thing.

Well 8 days later the cable man showed up(on time), actually he didn't work for cox but thats a good thing. I have to say I was very impressed with the install.

Not only did he hook up the cable modem(toshiba pcx2000), but he also fixed my digital cable. He ran a new line from the pole, installed a better splitter, and ran a new grounding wire. My speeds usually hover around 1200 k/bits down during the afternoon, but in the morning, at nite i usually get around 2200 k/bits, according to the dsl reports speed test. My upload speeds are eratic, ranging from 7 k/bits (no thats not a typo!) to 280 k/bits.i mostly use the internet at night and my browser shows around 180-270 kbytes/sec. overall i am very pleased, although i wish dsl was available because i like to upload somtimes and the upload is very eratic, even so, you can't beat the speed for the money.

Comments:

Review by sunrazor See Profile

• Location: Tyler,Smith,TX
Good "Awesome speeds and always online!!"
Bad "Can't think of any!!"
Overall "I recommend Cox to anyone!!"

I have had Cox Express for over a year now and I have not had any trouble. I have never had to contact tech support. My speeds are always great. I guess it is the luck of the draw or location. The computer as well. SORRY!! I would never, ever go back to dial up!! That is like being demoted. All I say is if you don't like it, go elsewhere!! Geezzz

Comments:

Review by sovgrace79 See Profile

• Location: Enfield,Hartford,CT
Good "Fast connection (faster than SNET)"
Bad "Tech support is bogged down"
Overall "Better than SNET"

The ordering and install process was smooth. I went with buying the cable modem, and received Toshiba PCX1100U DOCSIS 1.1 modem. The cable guys came and hooked up my TVs and internet. They ran wires in such a way that things are pretty hidden. They did a much better job of running the wires than I would have done, but hey, they are the professionals, not me. Anyways, before they left, everything worked.

The price is $35/month if you have another service, so I got the $10.95 limited basic cable. The reason for that is you would pay $45/month otherwise, so it makes sense for $0.95 more to get TV with it. Also, these prices are if you buy the modem. I decided to buy the modem from them since if I got a cheaper modem, I figure tech support would try to blame the modem if I had problems.

I ended up buying another IP address, because of a work laptop I like to connect. One odd thing about the modem is it seems to only let the first two computers on a hub that light up DHCP an address. I would have thought that it would only let the first two computers that tried to get an address receieve one. However, that is not the case. So before I turn the modem on, I make sure that the two computers I want to get addresses are on, and I pull the others off the hub until the modem has been powered up for about 20 seconds. Then things will work with no problem. I don't really mind this, but it is a little bizarre.

One thing I noticed is that I have had cable internet now for a few weeks and my IP hasn't changed. Customer service said the ips will change every few hours. That isn't true, but I don't care about that either.

Having had SNET DSL for over a year, all I can say is you don't know what you are missing. Going from 1500/128 speeds to 3000/300 speeds is pretty impressive. If you live in Enfield definitely get Cox. You will be glad you did.

member for 14.4 years, 162 visits, last login: 4.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by Dimension83 See Profile

• Location: Tempe,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Faster than dial-up (I've had files download at 350kb/sec+)"
Bad "frequently disconnected, connection drops at least twice a day, 33.6 upload, morons in tech. support"
Overall "If you're in the Phoenix area and can't get Cox HSI yet, wait. Express sucks."

I made the switch from AT&T Worldnet to Cox Express last monday, the 4th of February and have been VERY disappointed. I expected it to be bad due to the upgrade currently taking place in Phoenix but I did not expect it to be down 3 out of the 7 days I've had it. Not to mention the fact that it frequently drops my connection for no apparent reason. I've tried calling their tech support and after memorizing the song when you're put on hold, I've realized it's pointless.

Overall, it sucks. I'm VERY close to going back to dial-up and waiting for the regular cable service to be installed in my neighborhood (should be very soon).

Comments:

Review by Greenfrog See Profile

• Location: Meriden,New Haven,CT
Good "Fast and reliable - clearly working to build a better mousetrap."
Bad "Network conversion somewhat painful"
Overall "Best choice in this area if you're not close to a DSLAM"

Cable Modem: Surfboard 3100 (Purchased)
IP Type: DHCP - stays the same as long as you stay on-line
Install experience: Migrated from @Home. Cox was fast and cooperative on initial install when I moved into my new house in November.
Speed: Typically 1200 / 250

Conversion from Cox@Home to Cox.Net happened for me in mid-January. Was down for a couple of hours overnight, and for a few hours the first day - to be expected as far as I'm concerned. The first week and a half speed dropped from the 1200 / 250 I had been getting on @Home to an average of 300/100 or so - lots of packet loss. On 1/28/2002 it came back up to the previous levels and has been fine since.
Did not use their CD (I use non-standard apps like Eudora anyway) and did manual configuration. Worked fine.
I fully expect that Cox will have their network running far better than the old @Home system as soon as they complete the inevitlble conversion headaches.
Have not had occasion to call tech support since the conversion - which is probably a good thing given the load right now. My experience prior to the conversion is that they try to be helpful, but always assume the problem is with your computer, even if the connectivity lights on the cable modem indicate otherwise. Default solution: Roll a truck sometime next week - of course when you are at work and nobody is home.
Hopefully they can be a little more together now that they are in charge of the provisioning and th entire network.

Ribbitt