Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by sunrazor See Profile

• Location: Tyler,Smith,TX
Good "Awesome speeds and always online!!"
Bad "Can't think of any!!"
Overall "I recommend Cox to anyone!!"

I have had Cox Express for over a year now and I have not had any trouble. I have never had to contact tech support. My speeds are always great. I guess it is the luck of the draw or location. The computer as well. SORRY!! I would never, ever go back to dial up!! That is like being demoted. All I say is if you don't like it, go elsewhere!! Geezzz

Comments:

Review by sovgrace79 See Profile

• Location: Enfield,Hartford,CT
Good "Fast connection (faster than SNET)"
Bad "Tech support is bogged down"
Overall "Better than SNET"

The ordering and install process was smooth. I went with buying the cable modem, and received Toshiba PCX1100U DOCSIS 1.1 modem. The cable guys came and hooked up my TVs and internet. They ran wires in such a way that things are pretty hidden. They did a much better job of running the wires than I would have done, but hey, they are the professionals, not me. Anyways, before they left, everything worked.

The price is $35/month if you have another service, so I got the $10.95 limited basic cable. The reason for that is you would pay $45/month otherwise, so it makes sense for $0.95 more to get TV with it. Also, these prices are if you buy the modem. I decided to buy the modem from them since if I got a cheaper modem, I figure tech support would try to blame the modem if I had problems.

I ended up buying another IP address, because of a work laptop I like to connect. One odd thing about the modem is it seems to only let the first two computers on a hub that light up DHCP an address. I would have thought that it would only let the first two computers that tried to get an address receieve one. However, that is not the case. So before I turn the modem on, I make sure that the two computers I want to get addresses are on, and I pull the others off the hub until the modem has been powered up for about 20 seconds. Then things will work with no problem. I don't really mind this, but it is a little bizarre.

One thing I noticed is that I have had cable internet now for a few weeks and my IP hasn't changed. Customer service said the ips will change every few hours. That isn't true, but I don't care about that either.

Having had SNET DSL for over a year, all I can say is you don't know what you are missing. Going from 1500/128 speeds to 3000/300 speeds is pretty impressive. If you live in Enfield definitely get Cox. You will be glad you did.

member for 14.1 years, 162 visits, last login: 4.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by Dimension83 See Profile

• Location: Tempe,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Faster than dial-up (I've had files download at 350kb/sec+)"
Bad "frequently disconnected, connection drops at least twice a day, 33.6 upload, morons in tech. support"
Overall "If you're in the Phoenix area and can't get Cox HSI yet, wait. Express sucks."

I made the switch from AT&T Worldnet to Cox Express last monday, the 4th of February and have been VERY disappointed. I expected it to be bad due to the upgrade currently taking place in Phoenix but I did not expect it to be down 3 out of the 7 days I've had it. Not to mention the fact that it frequently drops my connection for no apparent reason. I've tried calling their tech support and after memorizing the song when you're put on hold, I've realized it's pointless.

Overall, it sucks. I'm VERY close to going back to dial-up and waiting for the regular cable service to be installed in my neighborhood (should be very soon).

member for 12.6 years, 13 visits, last login: 12.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by Greenfrog See Profile

• Location: Meriden,New Haven,CT
Good "Fast and reliable - clearly working to build a better mousetrap."
Bad "Network conversion somewhat painful"
Overall "Best choice in this area if you're not close to a DSLAM"

Cable Modem: Surfboard 3100 (Purchased)
IP Type: DHCP - stays the same as long as you stay on-line
Install experience: Migrated from @Home. Cox was fast and cooperative on initial install when I moved into my new house in November.
Speed: Typically 1200 / 250

Conversion from Cox@Home to Cox.Net happened for me in mid-January. Was down for a couple of hours overnight, and for a few hours the first day - to be expected as far as I'm concerned. The first week and a half speed dropped from the 1200 / 250 I had been getting on @Home to an average of 300/100 or so - lots of packet loss. On 1/28/2002 it came back up to the previous levels and has been fine since.
Did not use their CD (I use non-standard apps like Eudora anyway) and did manual configuration. Worked fine.
I fully expect that Cox will have their network running far better than the old @Home system as soon as they complete the inevitlble conversion headaches.
Have not had occasion to call tech support since the conversion - which is probably a good thing given the load right now. My experience prior to the conversion is that they try to be helpful, but always assume the problem is with your computer, even if the connectivity lights on the cable modem indicate otherwise. Default solution: Roll a truck sometime next week - of course when you are at work and nobody is home.
Hopefully they can be a little more together now that they are in charge of the provisioning and th entire network.

Ribbitt

member for 12.7 years, 181 visits, last login: 9.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by Amber5 See Profile

• Location: Virginia Beach,Virginia Beach City,VA
Good "I got to spend some time reading real books during the outages!"
Bad "From ordering miscommunications, to installation problems, to outages, I'd rather go to the dentist."
Overall "Speeds aren't where they should be, but hopefully they'll work it out."

My original SDSL provider (and former employer) is closing down their COs, so, in mid-January, I started to make my plans to my only alternative, Cox High Speed Internet. I was paid up through January 31st through my SDSL provider, so I wanted something up and running by February 1st. I had always heard that you can get cable fast, so I was surprised when I would have to wait 2 weeks for installation. But, my installation was set for January 29th, which was barely going to be in time. I explained that I was looking at renting a modem at the moment. Why? Because I wanted to make sure I didn't go out and purchase a modem that would become obselete in 3 months. I figured I'd best wait until everything became stable before spending money on something to keep. I called to confirm a week before my appointment was supposed to occur just to make sure my record didn't get lost. Confirmed for January 29th! I was excited.

January 29th rolled around and I had an interview during the scheduled time. So, my father was going to be here for the installation. No big deal, right? Well... I come home and nothing had been done. Apparently, they screwed up my record to show that I was supposed to have purchased a modem, and the installer did not have ANY modems with him. He didn't even start any of the wiring or anything. Not only that, but they couldn't schedule me for another appointment until February 4th. Now, please note, to keep my SDSL provider it would have run $235/month (it was a business-class service). So, 4 days in February using my DSL would have run me another $35 since I was no longer getting employee rates. I was mad. I called Cox and I basically vented to the lady who answered about the installation since I had specifically indicated I would be renting a cable modem when I originally placed my order. She said that there was nothing she could do. I would have to wait until February 4th. I called back an hour later, still mad, to verify that this time their records indicated that I was renting a modem. I reiterated that they came without the modem when I had requested renting a modem and had to reschedule me for February 4th when I had originally stressed the fact that I was losing service on January 31st. This lady was able to get me scheduled on January 31st. No problem. It was cutting it close, but I could handle it. I wasn't happy with them, but at least this lady TRIED to do something unlike the last one.

January 31st, my appointment got moved up to a bit earlier in the day. Wonderful! The two gentleman came out and did the installation. I was expecting it to run pretty smoothly. I knew my network worked since I had been using it with my SDSL for 2 computers without a problem. First modem was installed, the PC light didn't come on. Their first thought was a problem with my network. Tried to connect it directly to my main computer and still no PC light on the modem. They went out and brought in a second modem. They knew there were some bad modems. They figured maybe a bad one was mixed in with the good ones when they took them out to their truck. OK, I can handle it. 2nd modem was installed, and once again the PC light didn't come on. Once again, they're trying to blame it on MY network. Funny, my computers can see each other and pull files from each other, but since their modem can't see my computers, it's MY network's fault. They were almost to the point where they wanted me to open my computer case to make sure my NIC was seated correctly. Excuse me, but if 2 computers on a network can "talk to" each other, chances are the NIC is seated correctly. Of course, then they realize that they were plugging the modem into the wrong port on my hub. Instead of plugging it into the Uplink port, they were plugging it into a standard port. But, even after correcting this, still no PC light. Finally, I persuaded them to try yet another modem. Voila! PC light and it syncs up. My computer is now running on Cox HSI. Of course, I can't seem to get over 600 Kbps in downstream speeds at noon in a residential area even after Cox ran THEIR tweaks on it, but I figure I'll come to DSL Reports and tweak it up.

Perfect, I'm happy. It's almost 1 p.m. and I'm up and running with some time to spare. I call my SDSL provider and indicate I'm cancelling the service today. 4 p.m. rolls around and I can't get on the net. What the heck? My Cable light is off. Then it starts to flash and attempts to sync up, but it's a no-go. So, here I am, calling tech support. I spent 45 minutes on hold waiting to talk to someone. They want me to unplug the modem and replug it in. Reboot my computer and all of that fun stuff. Excuse me, but I think I'm bright enough to know that. I tell them I did that already and they want me to do it again. *sigh* So I spend 15 minutes talking to them doing the stuff I already tried AGAIN. "We'll send someone out to you at 8 a.m. tomorrow morning." I'm told. Now I'm upset. I'm looking for a job and I CANNOT do without internet access. That's how I send out my resumes! Finally, they agree to send someone out between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. Wonderful! 5:55 p.m. and the gentleman shows up. He can't for the life of him figure out why it's not working. Finally, he reseats all of their indoor connectors and cleans them up to see if that will fix it. Voila! I'm up and running again at around 6:30 p.m. Of course, I'm told he has no idea what the problem was, but it's working now.

Up and running until 9:45 a.m. Friday, February 1st. And then it once again stops syncing. I spent an hour myself trying to tighten cables, unplugging the modem, rebooting, and the like, but still no Cable light. Call tech support and spend another 45 minutes on hold. This time I'm told there's an outage in Virginia Beach. No ETA. OK, fine, I can handle that. 3:30 p.m. rolls around and still no cable light after trying to unplug the modem at various times. So, I figure I should call tech support and see if there's an ETA on the Virginia Beach problem yet. Lo and behold, the lady I spoke to didn't know there was any outage in Virginia Beach at all today. And there's certainly not one NOW. But here I am, dead as a doorknob. We run through the standard unplugging and rebooting rigamorale and nothing. But she can't get tech support out to me until 8 a.m. on Saturday, February 2nd. What the heck? When I had gotten my SDSL, I had one noticeable outage in the year that I had it. Here, I've been down more than I've been up. But, she was adamant. There was no one who could get here until 8 a.m. Saturday. Aaarrrggghhhh! So, I schedule the appointment. Well... guess I didn't really WANT to get online Friday, did I? 9 p.m. rolls around, and what's this? I'm up and running again. Now there's no way in HECK I'm cancelling my appointment. I know if I did cancel it, it would go out again.

Saturday morning rolls around and I still seem to be up. The gentleman comes out and I explain the problems I've been having. He once again reseats their cabling inside and he checks the cabling outside. Everything appears to be good, but he can't explain any of the outages I've had. He says if I experience any more outages, I should ask them to monitor my line. Of course, if I experience any more outages, I think I'm going to scream. I ask him about how I connect up my second computer on my network. Is there anything I need to know before I can connect it? He tells me that I have to get a second IP. The modem will assign only one IP and that will go to the first MAC Address it sees, so the second one won't be able to pull an IP, period. He tells me that all I have to do is call tech support and for $3/month, they will give me a 2nd IP within minutes. So, it's something quick and easy. Now, I'm tired. I don't want to deal with figuring out how to get around it right now. So, after he leaves, I call tech support. What am I told? It's $7/month for that second IP even though they're sharing the same modem and the speeds will be split between the two. Not only that, they won't assign me a second IP until AFTER February 28th when everyone has been migrated over from @Home! Now there's no way in heck I'm going to spend $7/month for a second IP address, let alone wait a MONTH to be able to even get it.

So, I come over to my trusty DSL Reports and read up on the Cox and Networking forum and learn that what I need is a router which will NAT, handle the DHCP and be the "PC" that the modem sees. So, off I go to buy a router. And I'll be hanged, but it worked! Now, both computers are installed, up and running. And after my tweaking HERE, my 600 Kbps downstream speeds are now 1.7 Mbps downstream speeds.

Overall, when it comes to installation Cox simply doesn't know what they're doing. Ordering was a hassle and riddled with mistakes. Installation was a pain. And the service simply isn't very impressive. I've been installed for about 50 hours now and already had 14 hours of outages. Hold times for tech support has been 15 minutes at a minimum, and 45 minutes is normal. Not to mention that 2 people in tech support cannot seem to give me the same answer for the same question. I've gotten more answers and help here on DSL Reports in the few minutes I've been able to connect when I had problems or questions than in the hours I've spent talking to someone from Cox.

Update: 2/7/02

Had the service for a week now. The horror of installation seems to be fading from my mind a bit. Download speeds during primetime are 700 Kbps or lower. Uploads speeds seem to be consistent. So far, speeds have not hit over 1700 Kbps download. Considering my area was "rolled out" within the past year, download speeds seem to be much slower than they should be. Note that my service should be maxed out at 3000/256. But, I'll give it time before I face the hassle of trying to get through to someone live in tech support again.

member for 13.6 years, 230 visits, last login: 4.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by MSauk See Profile

• Location: Mission Viejo,Orange,CA
Good "None!!!!!!!"
Bad "Slow, Customer Service Sucks"
Overall "If there are other choices go with them!"

I am sick of this crap! Before the conversion we had speeds of around 800-1500. After we are avg 300-500!!!!!!! Now today all day and I am guessing for a long time, I have averaged, no joke, 150-200! I am paying 40 bucks a month for 6 times the speed of dial up. Are you kidding me, then to call these bums you have to wait about 20-60 minutes! Last night I was on the phone for 60 minutes trying to reach someone. And these people are not the nicest people alive either. You wait 60 minutes to talk to some jerk, yeah really worth it! If this crap doesnt get to where it needs to be Cox can suck my Cox! Sick of this crap........

member for 12.7 years, 4146 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by silverfawx See Profile

• Location: Gilbert,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Fast, reliable, great customer service"
Bad "Outages for couple minutes at a time since new network"
Overall "value unbeatable"

well, like everyone, i started with dial up. it was very good at them time (back when elink was good) and then i decided it was time to go broadband. broadband via cable wasnt yet available in my area and from all the things i saw people saying in irc i was kind of skeptical about it anyway. so i went with uswest dsl. in the beginning they were pretty good -- very decent ping to many game servers...but then they became qwest and things started going downhill. my downloads and ping went down and up respectively. it was still bearable, however, until they merged with msn. when that happened it just went to hell. my latency was erratic, my packetloss was in the 30-40% and my download speed was just horrible. i was still skeptical about cable, but it seemed to by my only feasible alternative. i checked out their site and found out the download bandwidth was 3kbps (which just blows away what i was used to). so i ordered the service and a tech came in 3 days later (which was also suprising considering the time i had to wait for dsl which was like 2 weeks). took the tech about 30 mins and i was online and ready to go. i jumped on some game servers and to my delight my pings to west coast servers dropped down to an average of 30ms from the dialup ping i was used to with dsl. i pay 30$/mo becasue i have cable tv through cox too. also, if i ever have a problem i can call up their customer service line and be on hold for a max of 10 minutes if even that. they have always solved any problems i had right away and were very friendly about it. i am very glad i have cox high speed internet and i couldn't reccommend it more. hopefully it will only get better from here...

edit - also the transition lasted a few hours but i am very pleased with the outcome and i am very hopeful for the future of cox.net

member for 12.9 years, 2896 visits, last login: 1.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by zulu1982 See Profile

• Location: Mission Viejo,Orange,CA
Good "Fast, Reliable, easy"
Bad "Mix-up on install"
Overall "Worth the money, Never going back to phone modem!"

During this whole conversion to cox.net I have never had any connection problems. It has always been fast for me, in fact it has gotten faster, 3000+/200 when I test at this site. I didn't use there conversion kit, I did all the configuring manually. Although I havn't had any problems yet, I would understand if my service cut out for a little while. It is a big test to convert all your costumers to a new ISP, some ppl just expect too much.

member for 12.7 years, 12 visits, last login: 11.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by gzajac See Profile

• Location: Rocky Hill,Hartford,CT
Good "easy self install-great speeds-pleasant support people"
Bad "a little pricy"
Overall "I would hate to go back to dial up"

Since Cox was upgrading their system here in Conn- I had to wait to get my self install kit.I left my name,and they called back when they came in. I installed it that night,eventhough they said my service wouldn't be up and running for 10 days.The next morning It was up and running.I called in to activate my account, and my email was working 20 minutes later.After reading all the horror stories about cox service and disruptions, I am extemely pleased with the level of service so far.For the last three years I have been on a Snet dial up where I consistently connected at 26.6 K, what a difference. I bought my Surfboard modem off the net for $107, and Cox said no problem. I tried originally to get Snet DSL, but I was told don't hold my breath for service. I would recommend the Cox service to anyone and the self install to anyone who can read. It is hard to rate the tech support now, because I only called to activate, and waited only a couple a minutes on hold.update: after I supplied mac address, lost connection for three days. After reading about problems in connecticut, figured it was a problem everywhere.I finally called tech support and found the mac address had two letters swithched.Fixed the error, up and running while I talked to tech support. I called at 7:00 at nite, and it took 19 minutes total.I still am pleased with service and support, and realize they have bugs to work out, I am patient.

Comments:

Review by am6pm See Profile

• Location: Rancho Palos Verdes,Los Angeles,CA
Good "when it was @home it was fine"
Bad "Post conversion horrible"
Overall "wait and see"

I went through the COX.NET conversion... Last weekend my service took a dump and when it came back up I noticed a not more traffic (my data light has been flashing a lot more when my computer is off). Now my service has been spotty at best. I'm losing 25% to 50% of my packets, I get high speeds at bursts at a time. Sometimes it looks like I'm back to dial-up, then I'll get a burst of speed.

I was happy when @home was running the show. Now when I call customer support @ cox.net, all I get is everyone is helping someone else and wait time is just long. I once waited for an over an hour only to be disconnected! If things don't improve, I will be looking for another ISP (ie DSL).

UPDATE 2/5/02: I'm having mixed performance, but still unsatisfied with the results. Old @home was still better. Verizon just called yesterday, will get to try Verizon for free for the first month. Cox has 1 month from the time I get Verizon working here to shape up or I am GONE! Tech support is still unreachable. I'll be calling the billing office to express my dissatisfaction.